Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Crusader posted:

that’s kinda where im at on the matter; the trump/chat threads do suck the oxygen out of the room, but i think that also reflects where people’s heads were at and what they gravitated towards wanting to post about

anyway i think cspam will always need a current events thread that will probably get off-topic when there’s not much insanity going on, but we could also do more to generate discussion that hopefully leads people to work that improves conditions in general

i am definitely guilty of avoiding the denser threads because i didnt think i was well read enough to participate, but that said i deeply appreciate pushing to make cspam a better forum and while i have no concrete suggestions in this post i will read more and maybe be able to contribute later

but if i don’t there’s plenty here that will, and we should encourage and foster that.

i read a ton of threads here but dont really post in them because theres people in there that can word things way better than i can and im mostly reading to learn for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Good modding will be enough, eventually.

But before then, whoever gets buttons here has got to understand that due to the actions of previous mods, they're not starting off with a whole lotta trust. And so part of building that trust is gonna be users busting their chops about mod tyranny and whatnot when they use those buttons.

Just start doing things right, don't be a whiny baby when someone makes a joke, and if someone points out that a bad call was made, don't reflexively double down on it. Listen and try to understand the concern.

Really can't stress that last part enough.

ive been trying to be more a "if someone actually fucks up, message them instead" type IK. i hate using buttons.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

jazerus, i understand why you might have this perception, but i want to challenge it--as an extremely unscientific measure i just copied the top posters lists from the top 6-7 threads in cspam rn into a notepad doc and started doing ctrl-f with big names from the trump thread leaderboard, and there's not a lot of overlap!

and yeah if you did the full social graph maybe it's a core group of very prolific thread-specific posters and then everyone who doesn't post that much is a generalist, but it's not at all an inaccurate statement, i think, to say that the trump/chat thread 'core group' is pretty insular

just to disclose my own biases i kept up with trump thread pretty closely from the primaries on and then a few months ago was subjected to the phrase 'former lurker Child A' one too many times and had the scales fall from my eyes

i mean yeah your unscientific approach isnt great because if someones posting in one thread alot they're not posting elsewhere. it doesnt mean that the other 90% of that thread isnt posting or reading elsewhere.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

You also can't put accents or umlauts in thread titles. That's forum-side, though.

this is my feedback let us use more symbols in thread titles

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

lol the chat/trump thread is full of liberals dude.

i disagree

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Smythe posted:

plinkey is a saint. that’s my feedback.

:hai:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Bearjew posted:

I'd post there

same

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

the next C-SPAM IK/Mod addition should post in the games thread, I think it's important that button-pushers have hobbies beyond button-pushing and it's an example of a great, politics-adjacent subject thread that's not solely political.

we've spent like, the last week cheering smarxist through his first dark souls run and everyone is feelin' real chum and chill in there, and there's some good vibes posting going on imho

the games thread is super good and i've been meaning to post there more since i've been playing a ton of random demos on steam and wanna post about them somewhere

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Shine posted:

- Some threads are seen as "chat threads" that are overly insular and sources of drama, forum feuds, Making Posting Enemies, etc. Personally I'm not into threads that function as essentially a forums-based Discord, but as long as they aren't leading to dumb drama, I don't have a strong opinion on them being here versus CCCC or wherever. I acknowledge that "as long as they aren't leading to dumb drama" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

i disagree with this. I don't see these threads as being that at all. Joementum beat me to a real good response on it but I will add that you should probably check out the thread(s) in question before making a decision on them, as I'm of the belief that you should check out threads and forums that people are screaming to get closed immediately before actually acting on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Athanatos posted:

All NBA threads all over SA are amazing. We have a fashion one in SAS proper, and the people in the Draft thread are pretty loving fantastic. The whole SA NBA operation is aces.

my feedback here is "agreed"