Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's the politics forum where you can tell people gently caress you and I think that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

There seem to be a lot of not politics threads for a politics forum

I don't really care about chat threads, they don't bother anything and I think SA has a real problem with people not just passing by things they find annoying but are not harmful. But if you're talking about things like the weather thread or gaming, everything is political. Games does not want to hear endless bullshit about leftism in video games. Cspam does. It fills a role.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also the alternative to current events threads that go off track now and then is something more like how D&D does it and everyone would be so mad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

look all i know is if a thread gets like 300 posts a day, and most of them have nothing to do with politics, it's a chat thread

So?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

docbeard posted:

I genuinely wish I knew how to combat this perception given that the response in this thread to this topic from probably the most reasonable fair-minded admin we've got (no offence Shine, I think you're probably super-reasonable and fair-minded too, I just don't know you as well) was

Which reads to me like it's seen as a one-sided conflict that (a few posters in) CSPAM are instigating all on their lonesome against Poor Innocent Insert Other Subform Name Here. And while I certainly won't deny that this sort of thing happens, it's quite far from the whole story. We get "brigaded" about as often as we "brigade" (and I kind of hate that term because of what it implies about how posters should just Stay In Their Lane and certainly not post in two different forums), we get people demanding that our threads get gassed or moved to some other forum or that we be shut down on almost a daily basis in QCS (which sure isn't necessarily something that should be taken seriously, but it's probably a semi-useful barometer), etc.

We've seen in the not too distant past what happens when a single forum becomes the scapegoat for all of Something Awful's ills. I'd very much like that to not happen again to anyone, much less to my favorite Something Awful forum.

I honestly think a huge part of that is because if you disagree in cspam you say gently caress you and argue it out. If you disagree in another sub you use the rules to win. Open aggression is preferable to the passive aggressive alternative. So both sides see "brigades" (people disagreeing with them) but it's more likely that as an outside observer who's mostly seeing the interactions through reports that it looks a lot worse from one side because the other side just tells people to gently caress off and leave until they do.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The people who seem to really think posting is praxis tend to get run out when they burn everyone else out on their self-importance.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I mean yeah the covid thread is bad but also I think the thread about a world wide pandemic becoming full of doom is both unique and unlikely to be repeated in the near future and doesn't feel like a great example of normal cspam. Like, I just don't know what else to expect from a covid thread except doom unless someone is moderating it really hard.

This isn't really directed anyone specific, just my two cents incase someone looks at the covid thread and thinks that's typical cspam. The thread about an active pandemic is darker than most.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, climate thread isn't dooming. They're just right and have the numbers to back it up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

The same people who send 30 messages to someone who posted something in D&D because they saw their post in the CSPAM Climate Change thread.

That sounds like a problem but I don't grasp why it's CSPAM's problem. What happens to someone who sends 30 messages and can't behave themselves in a public place? CSPAM can't kick them out.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

It's most of the time someone who was just involved in making fun of that person in a CSPAM thread.

Which, CSPAM is not in charge of every user who posts there, but it seems like when there is a thread or space for making GBS threads on someone or a post here, it never just stops here.

Ok, so who has the power to kick that person off of the website?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, I dont mean to imply I'm holding CSPAM responsible for every rear end in a top hat. It's just when those type of discussions happen in CSPAM, it spawns assholes.

IMO, let morons be morons in other forums. It's like TVIV...if you hate it...stop watching?

They are dealt with

edit: But then sometimes people bitch because "FUCKIN MOD JUST LET US POST poo poo, WHY PROBE MY FRIEND"

I mean, I still don't really see the problem then. Keep kicking people out who can't follow basic decency, if their friends complain ignore them, and be consistent about it. A lot of the sites problems are from a lack of consistency in policies and forcing people to constantly guess as to what they can and can't do. IDK, I can't fully form the words right now but I disagree that there's much that needs to be changed with the culture when I think a much bigger problem is mods and admins carrying water for or being afraid of opposing problem posters. I'm sorry being a bar bouncer involves fighting people who suck and are really mean and angry and stupid but the role is pretty much a volunteer bar bouncer.

Especially when the website's reputation and long standing culture says that you can and should be antagonistic towards stupid people. You can't have that sort of website and also try to please everyone.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

I think part of the problem is figuring out what IS too far. You say just ignore the angry mean people who bitch when their friends get hit...but what if those people have a point? It's trying to find the balance between a forum and moderation of it. That's not easy, and just Making a Rule, and following it to the grave is a REAL poo poo way to run a forum.

Context Matters.

That's why this thread is here, so I can figure out if the bitching is actually something that needs a change, or just something that happens.

People are always going to have a different view of what "too far" is.

How often is the friends bitching coming from people who want to protect someone who sent out 30 harassing PMS to one person?
How often is it from people mad that the mods and admins made an arbitrary decision based on "gently caress this guy" and then tried to pretend it was backed up on more than just a personal dislike?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm just going to say again that the nature of the covid thread is so bizarrely unique that it feels like it's a bad example for anything about CSPAM. And trying to strongly moderate it feels silly when we have a D&D covid thread.

I'm not shocked the thread about the horrible world wide pandemic that's negatively impacted a lot of people can be dark and sad and negative. Mods can't fix that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It really does feel like every argument of people posting wrong loops back around to "I'm not going to make a thread of what I want and I don't have the force of personality to convince people to agree with me and talk about what I want"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If you open a thread and put your serious rules at the top in between two :siren: smiles the mods are obligated to enforce them.