Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

I said come in! posted:

I have the Jade Egg, what do I do from there? Just place that on the map, and go do that area? Elazul will leave when I go to my house, but then when I go back into town, a dialog with Elazul is forced on me again and he joins me, even if I refuse him.

Yes, go there, and search until you find the person Elazul is looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i don't think the order you do the first few quests in matters for anything, so you can just do elazul's and then go back for daena

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the help! I was just stressing out about the order that I place locations on the map because that apparently matters a great deal and might lock you out of certain quests?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I said come in! posted:

Thank you for the help! I was just stressing out about the order that I place locations on the map because that apparently matters a great deal and might lock you out of certain quests?

There are three quests you can get locked out of because of elemental levels, and if you want the actual deets on those actual requirements:
Domina needs 3 Shade for one, Domina needs 3 Wisp and 3 Salamander for another, and Dume Desert needs 3 Dryad

And if you want more spoilers on how to achieve this:
Leave an empty space next to Domina and much later in the game you'll get an artifact that will meet both those requirements.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Other than the three quests with specific Mana requirements for lands, land placement doesn’t matter as much as the order you do quests. Certain quests will lock out other quests, so basically unless you use a walkthrough you’ll probably miss some quests anyway. It’s not a big deal if you decide to do a NG+ run and decide to use a walkthrough then, though.

The only things that you can truly be hosed on are getting Lil’ Cactus diary entries on the five Home improvements (and even then I’m not 100% on that, I thought I’ve heard the actual diary entries would auto-fill in on NG+ but I have no idea if that’s true or not) and raising the stats of your character (which depends on what weapon you’re using when you level up, and can be mostly ignored anyway if you don’t mind crafting +20 stats on multiple pieces of gear).

Legend of Mana is a game where it’s easy to gently caress yourself out of something for the first playthrough, but hard to gently caress yourself out of later playthroughs.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I don't want to tell anyone how to have fun, but following a walkthrough religiously for your first playthrough sounds like the least fun way to experience the game.

And it's not like it prevents you from missing content. The 100% completion walkthroughs I've seen tell you to do things like place a land and then NEVER go into it until x point, or you can go into a land, but only talk to one NPC so you don't break another quest. It's a neurotic experience that discourages talking to random NPCs and hear them say silly things about the plot at a given time, one of the most charming things about the game.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Yeah, I'd really recommend just enjoying the ride the first time through the game and not worrying about missing things. There is SO much dialogue everywhere for all sorts of plot points you just miss if you follow a guide and never go places when you place them. Just talk to lil cactus after your workshop quests and worry about filling the rest of his diary out the second time through.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

oh jay posted:

Yeah, I don't want to tell anyone how to have fun, but following a walkthrough religiously for your first playthrough sounds like the least fun way to experience the game.

Legend of Mana isn't a long game either, unless you're trying to do a 100% run or something but LoM's design pretty much expects you to replay it some.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The biggest offender here is Gilbert: Love is Blind, which you'd miss by poking your head into one part of Geo and thereby starting Gilbert: School Amour. Which in turn, all else being equal, you want to do since it's Geo's default quest and blocks you from doing pretty much any other quest involving Geo (such as, I dunno, the bulk of the Jumi arc). (*)

However, Gilbert: Love is Blind requires a. the SS Buccaneer to be placed on the map, and b. completion of A Siren's Song (which in turn is something you're less likely to stumble across early: it requires completion of the default events in Lumina, Polpota, and Madora, then go poking around in a generally-unused back alley of Lumina) to unlock Elle as an NPC.

This is already awkward enough as it is, before you factor in that a lot of those walkthroughs deliberately place the SS Buccaneer very late, often later than Geo, in an idealistic (min-max) but pointless (for realistic usefulness) desire to get Altena Alloy from the quests there. This compounds the problem via a time period where you've technically got access to Geo, but can't do much of anything with it except go shopping and very carefully avoid one area on the town map.

(*) Yes, as a point of technicality you can also do other quests in Geo if a. he's never left Lumina because you haven't completed that quest yet, or b. you're in the middle of Love is Blind and he's on the ship instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The worst part is that Gilbert: Love is Blind is one the best quests in the game just for how ridiculous and hilarious it is, yet it's also the easiest quest to miss that doesn't require certain mana levels.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A brief but still neat interview with Mana Producer Masaru Oyamada and Composer Yoko Shimomura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbC8RhbjCAY

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Did they remove the ability to co-op with your friend's character? I can't seem to activate it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Airspace posted:

Did they remove the ability to co-op with your friend's character? I can't seem to activate it.

You turn it on by talking to the Reverend in Domina about 2P. Or Duelle in the basement at Geo I think.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, by the grace of, apparently, one guy who bugged the producer about it, there is now a Legend of Mana anime.

The first episode is... okay? It's a pretty straightforward conversion of the first Jumi quest into an episode of a TV show, with the show starting with the protagonist waking up from a protagonist dream and remembering that he did the whole "Bud and [strike]Lisa[/strike] Corona" quest yesterday. The animation is pretty and fluid, and the translation seems like an interesting take on the feel of the game itself.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Got back to this game after a long break thanks to the recent bump and boy howdy does this game sure make following any of its main plotlines incredibly obtuse.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
This is going to sound weird but I think my cactus has it out for my kids. Lil guy only up and leaves when doing do so would put one of both of them in mortal peril.

Is it jealousy? It's not like I meant to forget to tell him about that scrapbooking trip. This is really getting out of hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So your saying you think Lil'Cactus might be the prickly type?