Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, this game!

I absolutely adore Legend of Mana.

Because I couldn't wait I already pre-ordered it yesterday and was quite surprised when it already unlocked when I was getting up today to get to work. Played a bit on the train, during lunch, and on the train back home.

Thanks to being set up as those separate, sometimes rather small events, it's basically the perfect game to play during my work commute. Especially now that I can save everywhere instead of at certain points only. :v:

Cyflan posted:

Okay, wow, the Steam version is lagging pretty badly.
I heard it had Denuvo, but I didn't think it would affect the performance of a game like this that badly.

How is this even possible, my tiny Switch runs the game super-smooth, I can't even :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, I see Gaius is now Gaia. I don't notice any other script changes yet.

Did you not used to appear in your bedroom after a chapter ends?

Oh yeah, I saw that but chalked it up to the new German translation changing things around. (Other changes I've noticed so far: Teapo is now Teeka to make the pun still work, and a woman. And Domina was renamed Dominia. Because "Domina" is the German word for "Dominatrix", I suppose that would look odd in a German text.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I'm really glad they took some of the fun things out lom combat and put it into the trials remake. There is something fun about the combat to me, even with the jankiness of only being able to attack left and right. It's a lot of fun to roll around and fire arrows at rabites

My personal favorite weapons are spear and two-handed axe. I tend to start with the spear, and later switch between both of them, depending on mood. Most of my time is spend using the spear, simply because the main character just has so much fun twirling that spear around, and it's equally fun to just watch her go (impale a rabbite)

Though the axe is hilarious. It just mows down entire rows of mooks all at once, it has a hitbox the size of New Jersey. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember this happening to me with Secret of Mana, somehow accidentally activating another player and then getting confused when that character got uncontrollable

So at least you're not the only one who butterfingered Mana-game settings, Keebler. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is a good summary. Crafting is a non-issue because you can't do anything interesting with it til the end of the game anyway.

So basically don't worry about it. Make a couple Instruments to have some spells for CCing crowds of enemies of whatever element and shape you find convenient and that's it.

I tend to just slam whatever together until I get a couple nice things. Though I can't resist the temptation of the one ring, I fear

or the cap of mega money

It's kind of farcical how fast you can upend the entire game if you manage to stumble into certain crafting recipes (or look them up online).

A good, strong weapon and infinite money is something you can get 10 minutes after unlocking most crafting options, and it'll carry you most of the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do you recall how to do this off hand

I'm still in the process of reassembling my old resources for this game :v:

I'm far too lazy to have kept notes, but I do remember the infinite money trick involved cramming feathers into a wind cap over and over again until it was worth tons of money. Also both items drop on Luon Highway so you can make that poo poo right after item crafting is unlocked.

Since I tend to have tons of wind caps and clear feathers at that point already, I always give in and get me some money. Legendofmana.info has all the other crazy crafting recipes too, if you want to take a look.

You need to craft at least 4 feathers into your cap to get enough money out of it to be worthwhile. But since those things are easy to get, I suggest trying to add more and see how far the madness can go*

*If you do this, you will never need money ever again, so be careful!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bideo James posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! Hahahahaha ok next story please!

OK, there's also this story where you're running around trying to help a little grass person while trying to solve some sort of diamond heist like a fantasy detective, but then you realize that you have been an extra in a slasher movie all along

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

how will they even structure the plot

They could just re-use the plot from the Legend of Mana manga, I suppose.

I'm fully prepared for 20+ episodes of the male hero bumbling around like an idiot, with the female hero coming in at the last minute to scold him and then be upset the manga didn't include her more

And no, I'm not joking, that's how the manga story went.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

night slime posted:

That teatime of danger puzzle is not good. Yeah I know the solution but man it gives me a stroke when I reencounter it

It took me ages to understand how all those magic locks interact with each other. At least the remaster allows you to switch off encounters so you can get faster from place to place.

As much as I like killing monsters, playing the PS3-port got old fast. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got a fruit bat.

OK, so technically it's a blood sucking bat, but it also hatched from a bird egg, so I'm guessing this game isn't that concerned with accuracy. I've been feeding it different kinds of fruit and it started to use a strong flame breath attack in battle. No idea if that's related, I just wanted to mention it.

I also climbed a huge tower filled with monsters to fight an animated centaur-armor. Then, when I later wanted to walk out of the tower, John Carpenter's the Thing was waiting for me. This game sometimes. :allears:

Edit:

Shout out to Pearl, who spend the entire tower adventure cowering in fear. Which I guess considering what we encountered in here makes her the most normal person I've met so far.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 4, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ace Transmuter posted:

Failed to save the world from a fireworks show, and all I got was this lousy chunk of gold

Eh, far too much drama. I prefer helping out a lampmaker by going around as a lamp sales woman.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blind Duke posted:

Playing this as a kid I remember abilities being largely useless except for Moonjump for repositioning. Getting some halfway decent use out of things like grapple just to grab and pull a mob out of a pile so they don’t spam attacks together.

Also finding the short range weapons like gloves and knife real dangerous against monsters that can huddle up. Thank goodness the special attacks charge up VERY fast.

A lot of abilities open up ways to just gently caress with the enemies: There are abilities to instantly move forwards to get into weapon range (pairs very well if back-flips or jumps), there are counters to retaliate with heavy damage, and my favorite, the flip kick: Just constantly kick the poo poo out of everything, like you're trying to replace Chun Li in Street Fighter. It's the best. :allears:

Also, the more abilities you learn, the more weapon techs you unlock: Another reason to wildly try out all manners of configurations to see what you can get.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Update from Vivienne's Wild Adventure:

I've tried Golem building and immediately went mad and poured most of my money, equipment and materials into making two of them.

One is green and called Jäger, some kind of hovercraft abomination armed with a shotgun, the other is purple, named Mr. Punch and... punches.

Oh, and then I tested them out in a jungle nearby. Turns out I'm poo poo at Tetris programming. But progress! After helping out some Looney Toons characters and getting cursed by fairies every other step, I eventually noticed that I need to use weapons of the corresponding Golem-type if I want logic pieces with corresponding attack powers.

But I think the most stupidest thing I did last session was never getting this awful, awful pun until that loving monster ape nearly killed me. *gets head bashed in by a hail of giant nuts* "oh, that's what it meant!" *dies of heavy internal bleeding*

at least I learned the ultimate lesson: badly programmed robots are the worst

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ace Transmuter posted:

So did she like... ascend to a higher plane of existence? Or did she get Katamari'd?

I survived by hiding in a edge like a coward. Something in Du'Cate's attack pattern made my sucky Golem suddenly wake up and spam one of the 1-2 weird nonsense attacks I gave it, like fireworks and a "laser" shooting a big metal ball. Bud and Jäger then kept Du'Cate on the other side, away from my character.

Eventually I went back in and ended this battle by sticking my spear repeatedly into ape butt. "Searching for Du'Cate" my rear end.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Something funny I've noticed when playing yesterday: I'm playing with a guide, because I want to go 100% completion. Eventually, I came through one of those events where you're asked a question and a wrong answer can cause you to fail the event.

Since playing is more fun then just reading a guide, I went through the event trying to play it normally, and only looked at the guide when I was stumped about how to continue. Then I panicked.

Turns out when I blindly went with the most fitting answer from a RP-perspective at the Important Question, I went off the rails, as the guide had expected me to take another of the three options!

So I flailed around for a while, but finally decided the devs wouldn't be so cruel to make the reasonable answer the one instantly failing me out, and continued.

Eventually, I managed to continue and finish the event.

I was both relieved and kind of amused that this 100% guide was wrong in this one specific case. After looking into things apparently the answer I didn't take was a shortcut for people who aren't really into playing and want to rush through Legend of Mana the fast way. It's not that the answer was wrong, it would have just avoided most of the "playing" part of the event.

In another case, I accidentally teleported myself right to the boss battle of another event because another very Important Question had the reasonable sounding answer the one short-cutting through the event.

From a balance stand-point, it's kind of neat that sometimes, being reasonable will speed things up, and sometimes, not. Makes it feel like your choices matter more, since without a guide you can't just do this pretend thing where you always go "NO!" or whatever, just to get the best possible outcome you want. If that makes sense.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How do I get lots of Lucre? I can buy Ishe Platinum in Polpota Harbor now which rules but I want a shitload of money so I can make tons of platinum gear.

In addition to the Windcap-trick, you can also heavily abuse the fact every weapon or piece of equipment you heavily modified via crafting will most likely end up expensive as poo poo, and get you a nice price when you eventually upgrade.

Also, make hats. They're fashionable, and while they're only like 3k instead of 20k+ like the modded windcaps, they're just a bunch of seeds, cheap materials and some fruit.

This is the receipt I use on my surplus of animal hides and seeds, when I'm too lazy to go hunting for clear feathers:

A Fine Hat posted:

Animal Hide
Big Seed
Big Seed
Small Seed
Small Seed
Needlettuce
Needlettuce
Needlettuce

Just substitute Animal Hide for whatever cheap material you're swimming in, otherwise it's Luon Highway or Kilma Lake O'clock for the clear feathers you need.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ok, yeah. So, now I've been black mailed into committing murder. Definitely not what you'd expect from such a cutesy looking game.

Also, is it better or worse if you can go visit your victims in the afterlife?

Edit:

I'd like to exchange Larc for Sierra, please. My Larc is faulty, it's committing murder and bird genocide all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s because once you complete it you have to go back to Domina to get a revive ring and obviously I didn’t go back to my cactus.

To be honest, you could probably make a better ring yourself, but your cactus is forever