Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

wuggles posted:

Is this game any good? I can’t get anyone to recommend it to me

I think it's really good.

I mean, there's a reason it was a cult classic and not a big mainstream hit. The game does a lot of things differently, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. In my opinion, it's biggest strengths are:

- Beautiful soundtrack and graphics
- Episodic, unstructured, almost slice of life story.
- A bunch of overly complicated systems to dig into and mess around with

But the same things that make it appeal to me are going to turn other people off. There's nothing else quite like it so at the end of the day I'd say if it sounds interesting you should give it a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

wuggles posted:

Cube and Snake Maze, if it doesn’t have a story how do you know you’re done? Presumably it ends since it was made before GAAS.

The game has a bunch of quests to do. Each quest is generally a small, self contained story, although there are a couple of larger quest chains. Some quests are very low stakes and might not involve fighting at all, others will have dungeons and bosses and multiple endings.

The game is pretty freeform so outside of the cases where one quest is a prerequisite for another you can end up doing things in different orders, but you’re done when you finish (the bare minimum to reach the final boss/all the quests you find on your own/100% quest completion, select according to your rpg preferences)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anyone know how you're supposed to figure out what to do in the buccaneer's ship? I looked it up on gamefaqs after getting stuck and they just give a solution with no indication of how you're ever supposed to learn it.

If you mean sailing around to trigger quests, you’re probably meant to just sail randomly and stumble across them. But the sea is only a 5x5 grid (you can tell where you are by the helmsman’s dialogue, each square has a different line) so it’s pretty easy to just methodically sweep across until you find everything.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

cheetah7071 posted:

I had no idea it worked that way and probably never would have figured it out

legend-of-mana.txt

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

cheetah7071 posted:

I just experimented a lot with it and none of this seems to be true. At least, the unique lines aren't true. And I'm not convinced the grid is, either.

:shrug: It definitely seems to be true for me. I can go west and then east and he'll repeat himself, I can go west 5 times and he'll start repeating himself, the map from gamefaqs still seems to match up with what I'm seeing

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Duda gak bubu.

:mods:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Try messing with the 2p control setting at a save point, and/or a second controller? It sounds like maybe you accidentally set them to be controlled by player 2 instead of the AI.

If that's not it then I don't know.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Vil posted:

(It's possible the remaster renamed the stat to be something less identically-named to something else, such as Constitution or something.)

They did exactly this, yeah.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a way to make Polter Box stand next to me? It just wanders randomly. I guess I could use a second controller…?

I don't think you can control pets. IIRC you can change its personality to lonely with the right food to make it stick close to you.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

lol I guessed the final faerie on my first try

Is this required for a quest? I think there’s a trophy but I’m on the Switch so

There’s one quest that requires stomping at least 20 crabs, and an easter egg if you stomp 29/32 crabs.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Yeah. Special techniques are unlocked based on using a weapon for enough fights, and using certain combos of regular techniques for enough fights, but you don't actually need to use them together. If you use a weapon a bunch to get it's usage high enough, then switch weapons and use the regular techniques to get their usage high enough, then as soon as you switch back and finish a fight with the first weapon you'll unlock all the new STs you qualify for at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
If you have a pet polterbox, farming the two polterbox battle in the pirate ship for sun/moon crystals is pretty profitable too. I’m not sure which method has the better lucre/time ratio but the polterboxes have a chance to drop glow and chaos crystals, which are some of the more expensive components for tempering.