Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I remember thinking the new Prey was going to be more like Dead Space or Doom 3 where it’s leaning more into action-horror and ends up not doing either well, but then it ended up being a surprisingly good 0451 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

HolePisser1982 posted:

I only bought Dark Souls because people wouldnt shut the gently caress up about it in seemingly every fyad thread I wanted to read or post in. And the rest is history, haha! *hastily trying to flip past all the pages in the photo book showing me getting my rear end drilled out by hollows for months*

lol

A good friend of mine got me to try Dark Souls. I got killed by the Bell Gargoyles a few times and when I finally decided to summon Solaire and just hopefully get it over with, I got invaded and killed in one hit. I almost quit for good right then and there lmao. Thankfully my friend convinced me to keep at it and it became one of my all time favorite games.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 24, 2021

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I remember thinking the new Prey was going to be more like Dead Space or Doom 3 where it’s leaning more into action-horror and ends up not doing either well, but then it ended up being a surprisingly good 0451 game

i hated quake 4 and doom 3 and thought Prey would suck too since it's on the same engine and very similar-feeling but it owns. the big shoot-outs where youre going between portals flipping the gravity 5 different ways are awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

i hated quake 4 and doom 3 and thought Prey would suck too since it's on the same engine and very similar-feeling but it owns. the big shoot-outs where youre going between portals flipping the gravity 5 different ways are awesome

You're talking about two different Preys. But both of them are cool

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

At one point I bought into the "Phantasmagoria 2 is different, therefore it's bad" bandwagon for years, since everyone either hated it for being an FMV game in 1996 or just being different from the predecessor. I grew an appreciation of it over the years and then ended up actually playing it in 2017, and I found it to be a very enjoyable and unique experience. Thankfully people have come to realize that over the years with more positive reviews coming out and even the actor who played Curtis coming out to do a series of videos about the game.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
My first experience with Subnautica was playing for 3 hours and losing all progress because I assumed it would auto-save for some reason. Glad I gave it another chance.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Monster Hunter World. I thought it would boring grindy bullshit but it's actually delightful grindy bullshit. Ended up putting in like 100 hours

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Teamfight tactics lol. I dunno I just like it, also I'm weirdly good at it

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Snowrunner looked like it’d be kind of boring but I’m a sucker for cool physics simulations so I tried it out and got ridiculously hooked. It’s very slow paced & a perfect cooldown game after long days

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. First couple of hours I was firmly in "what is this poo poo I just installed" territory and then something just clicked. Crazy good game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nier Automata. For years I thought it was a game people pretended to like because they were really jacking off and cumming to it like kill la kill.

Now I know it's that and one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe the best soundtrack of any game too.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mario rabbits kingdom battle.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Frenz posted:

Ohh yeah, this game has no business being as good as it is. I just started the Donkey Kong DLC the other day after the sequel was announced

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
put off mgs5 for years because i'd only heard bad things and wanted to keep mgs3 enshrined as The Best Game. the prologue almost made me put it down but it made my most liked games list within a few missions. as strong as any kojima game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frenz posted:

Oh yeah this for sure.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

put off mgs5 for years because i'd only heard bad things and wanted to keep mgs3 enshrined as The Best Game. the prologue almost made me put it down but it made my most liked games list within a few missions. as strong as any kojima game.

if it were finished it wouldve easily been the best mgs

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
wii u - nintendo land multiplayer Animal Crossing + Luigis Mansion. If you know you know. 5 mans are unreal on that

elder scrolls online mmo - crippling lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Got pathologic 2 because i was between games, it was cheap, and gog sent me an email flier for it. I didn't expect to hate it but I had 0 expectations and it ended up being my 2nd favourite game of the year.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

if it were finished it wouldve easily been the best mgs

kojima would never lie to me he finished mgs5 and mads mikkelsen is his friend irl.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
factorio. logistics is fun. nuclear rocket launcher ftw.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i don't have any real passion for cycling so i only tried Descenders out of mild curiosity because how on earth do you make a cycling roguelike? turns out its really fun and i was practically glued to it for like a month

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
A friend of mine cheaply sold me a game on multiple CDs that he got with his computer but couldn't get to run. There was no manual or CD case and the art on the CDs was ugly as sin.

Loaded the game up and after a decent if cryptic intro and setting my stats I was greeted with an ugly, mostly brown mess of a game, playing as a grody-looking protagonist in an unpleasant setting, as well as heaps of text providing very jumbled, confusing world-building. Bounced off hard at first.

Gave it another chance later. Glad I did. Planescape: Torment is now one of my favourite games I ever read.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Just remembered this morning while thinking about doing a pre-Infinite replay of the Halo series that for some reason I was convinced Halo: Reach was going to be terrible and I refused to play it for years. I don’t even really remember why, I didn’t really care for ODST that much and I thought the armor abilities sounded like a really bad idea (I guess a foreshadowing of how much I’d end up hating overwatch-style hero shooters with special character abilities years later), but I feel like there must have been more to it than that to get a Halo fanboy like me to pass up a new Halo game. I guess I was just really hardheaded then.

Then years later when I finally got over myself and played it I felt like an idiot, since it turned out to be the best Halo game by a mile

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah my buddy spent years trying to get me to play a monster hunter game but i kept ignoring him until i got a psp with freedom unite for cheap and played 500 hours in like two months. he still brings it up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Just remembered this morning while thinking about doing a pre-Infinite replay of the Halo series that for some reason I was convinced Halo: Reach was going to be terrible and I refused to play it for years. I don’t even really remember why, I didn’t really care for ODST that much and I thought the armor abilities sounded like a really bad idea (I guess a foreshadowing of how much I’d end up hating overwatch-style hero shooters with special character abilities years later), but I feel like there must have been more to it than that to get a Halo fanboy like me to pass up a new Halo game. I guess I was just really hardheaded then.

Then years later when I finally got over myself and played it I felt like an idiot, since it turned out to be the best Halo game by a mile

I played it recently and it kicked a lot of rear end

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Reach best Halo 4 sure

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Reach best Halo 4 sure

Reach best? Halo 4, sure!

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Reach is the only one I ever played online. It was more like battlefield characters with slightly different load outs than overwatch heroes with completely different unique abilities imo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Reach is the only one I ever played online. It was more like battlefield characters with slightly different load outs than overwatch heroes with completely different unique abilities imo

Yeah they didn’t change the flow of Halo combat anywhere near as much as I was afraid they would

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Soul Reaver posted:

A friend of mine cheaply sold me a game on multiple CDs that he got with his computer but couldn't get to run. There was no manual or CD case and the art on the CDs was ugly as sin.

Loaded the game up and after a decent if cryptic intro and setting my stats I was greeted with an ugly, mostly brown mess of a game, playing as a grody-looking protagonist in an unpleasant setting, as well as heaps of text providing very jumbled, confusing world-building. Bounced off hard at first.

Gave it another chance later. Glad I did. Planescape: Torment is now one of my favourite games I ever read.

i think pretty much all isometric CRPGs are boring and slow and have completely failed to get into any of them, even classics like baldurs gate, but tried divinity 2 for some reason and absolutely loved it and put like 100 hrs into it.

thought something had changed so i tried pillars 2 and nope, still can't get into these games. i have no idea why divinity 2 is so good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that the one that's actually a Diablo clone. that's probably why.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
I remember booting up escape velocity and not thinking it would that good cause it was a lil shareware game, and being unimpressed when i left the first planet, but then the game told me to hit m and revealed a big rear end map and I had my lil mind blown. Doing lovely courier work before upgrading to the next best ship was so dang good.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

is that the one that's actually a Diablo clone. that's probably why.

idk how to explain it it looks like BG or something like that but the battles are turn based on a hex, but with lots of environmental effects

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ComposedSizzlingElephantbeetle-mobile.mp4

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Divinity 2 is relaly good and I don't know why anyone would tihnk it wasnt...it has good rear end couch co op. Cmon imp zone

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buffalo all day posted:

idk how to explain it it looks like BG or something like that but the battles are turn based on a hex, but with lots of environmental effects

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ComposedSizzlingElephantbeetle-mobile.mp4

oh. that's divinity original sin 2. the same studio has a game that's actually called divinity 2, which after googling it to make sure is the one that's basically a shittier version of fable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zelda 2

I remember growing up hearing from people that it was bad and probably the worst or at least "lesser" entry in the series and I wound up enjoying the hell out of it more than a few of the modern ones and liked the challenge

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Good soup! posted:

Zelda 2

I remember growing up hearing from people that it was bad and probably the worst or at least "lesser" entry in the series and I wound up enjoying the hell out of it more than a few of the modern ones and liked the challenge

It's top three Zelda games for me

MM, WW, AoL

Dr Hot Wheels
Jun 11, 2021

American McGee's Crazy Door
I played Shadow of Mordor even though I had no reverence for the franchise and largely detest open world games but I couldn't help treating it like a free-roaming Rambo game where he has a ghost friend and kills people and I loved it

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 104 days!

Dr Hot Wheels posted:

I played Shadow of Mordor even though I had no reverence for the franchise and largely detest open world games but I couldn't help treating it like a free-roaming Rambo game where he has a ghost friend and kills people and I loved it

i got it in some kind of bundle or something and had much the same experience. its not anything revolutionary but its very fun to do parkour terror tactics in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thought ghost of tsushima would be trash because i hated horizon zero dawn and spider-man. but in the end i beat the whole game and had a lot of fun because samurais are ftw.