Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ground floor.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Surprised that the death toll is only 1 person still

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SpaceCadetBob posted:

https://www.laopinion.net/colapsa-edificio-en-miami-beach/

Hate to do armchair speculation, but I'm not gonna be doing anything else today but watching this unfold.

The first picture in the link above. Look to the left of the building north of the swimming pool.

You can see cars on a steep incline, and see a large sheer along the concrete perimeter fence where the ground has clearly sunk a good 6'. I doubt there was a parking garage underneath the patio area, so a sinkhole seems to be the most likely cause in my mind.

It looks a lot like a cover-subsistence sinkhole

How do you even plan for something like that happening? Support beams that go 100 feet into the ground?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If it was overnight I'd imagine so, seeing as most people would be home in bed.

Frankly I'm shocked they pulled 35 people out alive so far.

I've also read that these beachfront condo buildings are largely full of short term rentals and second homes, used more in the winter than the summer by people from up north. Hope that's the case and the occupancy wasn't 100%

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aw gently caress, they're saying 51 people unaccounted for. :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Florida is being dragged into Hell for its sins

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Now they're saying 99 people unaccounted for, holy poo poo

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

i Think deadly catastrophic building collapses are bad ands hould be avoided

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aegis Bear posted:

That's commie talk in DeSantropolis, Land of Freedom.

To the Gulags

it's the building's right to fall down if it wants to :patriot:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

In case anyone wants to be sad (thread)

https://twitter.com/FrancesWangTV/status/1408135454277484544?s=19

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think this now surpasses the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse as the deadliest non-deliberate structure failure in the US. It's hard to imagine many of those missing people being found alive. gently caress.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's weird to me that the death toll is still 4, are they not even through the first layer of rubble yet?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ebola Roulette posted:

He was bent the other way.

He kissed his rear end goodbye

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

GolfHole posted:

religion made this building collapse

:hmmyes:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I agree that since rich people died in this collapse, there might actually be real consequences.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Will this conflict with Toyotathon?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chinatown posted:

Safe to say I think this has convinced me to never buy a condo.

simply because life & death repairs are put to a vote among your neighbors? sure whatever more condos for me I guess 😎

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

go play outside Skyler posted:

It is not a concrete inspector's duty to recommend evacuating or taking any sort of emergency actions in their report. "Significant structural damage" is the universally accepted term for "this place might collapse soon". All they can do is point out weak points and mention them in the report, they shouldn't be the ones making the call. That's the job of whoever reads the drat report and obviously in this case it was a bunch of cheap fucks so welp, there you have it. Nothing gets done for years and no one gets evacuated.

Could be something fixed by laws, if it were a state that doesn't hold an annual DEREGATHON

LMAO at letting tenants decide in an HOA meeting whether or not they should fix the building that's about to collapse and kill them

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

people like to say "a law should be passed to ban this, specifically" but the implementation of such laws is harder than most people think

remember, the reason they were getting this inspection done in the first place was to comply with existing laws around building inspection

if it were up to me, i would simply ban all the bad things that happen and subsidize the good things, it is very easy

I dunno, I'm required to get my car inspected once a year, and it's only capable of killing a small number people if it fails.

Seems like it'd be fairly easy to have buildings inspected annually and condemned if they're about to collapse :shrug: The inspector filling out a form that says "this poo poo is cracked yo" and handing it to the owner, a person who has a financial stake in ignoring you, seems bad. If there's no follow-up or condemnations, the law is meaningless.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It's an amusing example too because Florida does not have vehicle Inspection laws.

That's hilarious, I bet a car exploded in the parking garage and took the building down.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Vakal posted:

Seems like a good time to bring back pressing.

If it makes you feel better I'm sure some of the Surfside HOA members are experiencing this exact thing right now

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

goons lose their tops when a mod gives someone a six hour time out for saying a bad word so lets keep some perspective here on how fast unpaid community volunteers can organize a major structural renovation of the property involving extensive permit applications and contractual bids costing millions of dollars

how many times are you gonna post some variation of "buildings falling down is normal, there's just no avoiding it" in here

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

HD DAD posted:

I don’t like people dying for no reason, but if everyone in Miami could get out safely while it just sank into the sea, I’d have zero complaints.

Give it about 25 years

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Guys don't you understand a letter was written?? What more could have been done??

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chinatown posted:

It was a progressive collapse.

and yet the left keeps voting for progressives. the democrats did this.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

azurite posted:

So how much money did each person end up saving by not doing the repairs?

A lot! All their future mortgage payments are waived, in fact. As well as all other living expenses.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I can't believe they opted to make the bottom floor out of old pizza boxes. No wonder this happened.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Biden is arriving at the site today to rescue more people

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fine every building that falls down $1 million then the buildings that dont wanna pay the fine will not fall down

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chinatown posted:

Gravity. How does it work?

Alright this might be a joke post but lemme answer it seriously:

Buildings basically desire to be 1 story high (or less) they don't like being too tall, think of it like a phobia of heights. A building that doesn't regularly hear positive, encouraging feedback from a building inspector will become anxious and depressed, and will at a moment's notice decide to become as flat as possible

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

God damnit, gently caress.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1410968981142396929

edit: :crackping:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1410622609574793216

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

kntfkr posted:

piece of poo poo

that's a good reason to close a pool :shrug:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It appears a handful of residents were just chillin' elsewhere and not checking their text messages very diligently

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1411037237479890945

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

"hey sorry just seeing this. WHAT collapsed???"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Just evacuate Florida tbh. We need to figure out what the gently caress is going on over there.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Blooster posted:

Are there any crazy videos from people like stuck on the remaining portion of the building? With today's social media and cell phone world I'm surprised I'm not seeing any.

It happened at 1:30am and they evacuated ASAP.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1411335382856257537?s=19

This sucks in conjunction with that other story about a woman who left her cat behind in the standing structure. RIP cat.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My mom has a condo board but it's all adjacent townhomes so they vote on what color to paint the fence rather than on whether or not everyone ought to suddenly get crushed to death in the middle of the night.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

smackfu posted:

Kinda amazed they are going to controlled demolition the rest of the building in a day or two.

There's at least one alive cat up there that they couldn't evacuate, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My brain is a 12 story beachfront condo (aging, unregulated, prone to collapse at any moment)