Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Management posted:

there’s a huge chip shortage and nobody can get high end CPUs or any GPUs. manufacturers are back-ordered for months. the price of PC hardware is going up. expect most organizations to hold on to their existing machines for an extra year or two if they can. pushing hardware upgrades now would be incredibly stupid.

The cpu list includes celeron N5100 and N4500 which is what runs every poo poo tier notebook and desktop you find in your electronics store in plentiful supply. The shortages are there only if you want mid to high tier stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, quite possibly. another guess is that windows 11 is in practice a feature checkbox in windows 10, i.e. that both are the tip of windows source control and will get the exact same updates etc. so windows 10 can live alongside windows 11 at no additional work forever, and the distinction is mostly to drive these kinds of hardware changes.
Windows 11 effectively just being a different windows 10 sku would be pretty weird although I guess there's no reason it couldn't be. If so I wish they would make it clear.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Windows 11 effectively just being a different windows 10 sku would be pretty weird although I guess there's no reason it couldn't be. If so I wish they would make it clear.

if this guess is correct i think the confusion is kind of the point. apply some pressure on people to upgrade and get on the preferred hardware etc., while just having it just be a sku (thanks for reminding me of the term i was fumbling for) internally so it doesn't *actually* cause any fragmentation headaches

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they are really just trying to announce that they're deprecating support in windows 10 for older machines in 5 years, I guess it would be sort of mildly clever for them to instead try to spin this as announcing "windows 11" which only supports newer machines but is actually just the same thing as windows 10, allowing them to kill "windows 10" later but keep supporting "windows 11."

However, they still screwed up the announcement of windows 11 by causing confusion about the hardware requirements. They announced it in a way where people thought everyone would be able to upgrade and only then realized that their computer might not support it.

Also, if windows 11 was purely a feature flag I think people would know that already, and if it's not, I suspect that even if it's built from the same source it will probably be more effort to maintain both versions.

mystes fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 27, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the announcement has been a mess in general yeah, and it may be a mistake to then expect some kind of underlying logic to what they are doing.

either way it is pretty much pure speculation, we'll see whether 10 and 11 wind up getting largely one-to-one 6-month updates down the line, right up to the eol of 10.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

with the appstore push it would be odd to have the two be coequals

unless someone just managed to bake in mstfs normal success with app stores into the lifecycle and none of the senior management has noticed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Lol so Windows 11 won't work on my 2017 ThinkPad with 64 gigs of ram because it is a 7th gen Intel?

you brought this on yourself by buying such a ridiculous laptop

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

same boat, i7-6700 with 32gigs which is not in the spec sheets while a shittastic n3050 with 4gigs is so 🤷‍♂️

you too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

should have gotten the final good computer ever made, the 2015 macbook pro
it will even run macos 12 long before windows 11 is even released so it will still be 1 better

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

should have gotten the final good computer ever made, the 2015 macbook pro
it will even run macos 12 long before windows 11 is even released so it will still be 1 better

I have one of these and it struggles with stuff like youtube now lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

I have one of these and it struggles with stuff like youtube now lol

define struggles, honestly? i use a 2012 mbp as my normal everyday computer and while i'm not about to suggest it's blazing fast, it definitely doesn't struggle with youtube

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

define struggles, honestly? i use a 2012 mbp as my normal everyday computer and while i'm not about to suggest it's blazing fast, it definitely doesn't struggle with youtube

Iris pro + retina display probably. Trying to drive anything at native resolution it doesn't have hardware support for is going to make it chug. Other than that it's probably fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Iris pro + retina display probably. Trying to drive anything at native resolution it doesn't have hardware support for is going to make it chug. Other than that it's probably fine.

what browser are you using

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

you brought this on yourself by buying such a ridiculous laptop

It came with 16gb. I was able to upgrade it to 64gb for a mere $180 a few months ago because it's not a piece of poo poo MacBook with soldered RAM. hth

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

Windows 12 will go full linux and look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

and it will be heralded as the best operating system ever

im the recording of a german oprah or whatever

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tfwi just found out my 1 yr old Mobo and processor doesn't have tpm 2.0. no centered start menu for me ):

maybe it has it but it isn't enabled??? Idk how computer works

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

akadajet posted:

well, that was boring. thanks op!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

mediaphage posted:

what browser are you using

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It came with 16gb. I was able to upgrade it to 64gb for a mere $180 a few months ago because it's not a piece of poo poo MacBook with soldered RAM. hth

seems pretty future proofed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

tfwi just found out my 1 yr old Mobo and processor doesn't have tpm 2.0. no centered start menu for me ):

maybe it has it but it isn't enabled??? Idk how computer works

you prob need to enable it in bios. i had to, and now the tool says i can get windows 11. looking forward to installing a fresh operations system update!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I dunno op. windows 10 still works pretty well for me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ok i restarted my computer and pressed a few buttons and now it says that i can run windows 11

praise satya :worship:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like they're allowing 7th gen Intels, so I'm in the club

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

the taskbar will not be shown across multiple monitors (will be fixed in an upcoming build)

when upgrading a device with multiple user accounts to Windows 11, Settings will fail to launch

the Microsoft Store install button might not be functional yet in “some limited scenarios”

this os sounds like a piece of poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it is a pos but this is also a beta which is expected to be broken.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-studio-2/8sbjxm0m58t4

You can buy a Surface Studio 2 right now for $3500 directly from Microsoft and Windows 11 wont run on it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Perplx posted:

You can buy a Surface Studio 2 right now for $3500 directly from Microsoft and Windows 11 wont run on it.

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Perplx posted:

:five:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm assuming like the last few major windows versions they'll start at "this is a fresh start, no legacy garbage" then their customers will beat them until they roll it all back until 8" floppy support is maintained

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Perplx posted:

lol perfect

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

I'm assuming like the last few major windows versions they'll start at "this is a fresh start, no legacy garbage" then their customers will beat them until they roll it all back until 8" floppy support is maintained

As the Sun crossed the threshold into old age it's gentle caress of the earth turned to a scorching embrace. All life faltered. Humanity, eternally distracted by electronic diversions and cats had failed to grow beyond the planet. It was decided to send a message via massive EM pulse to the stars, to let the galaxy know that once we were here. As the fusion plants reached maximum output, and the carrier wave oscillator achieved perfect frequency, the operators made the smart gesture to initiate and watched through their holo-lenses as the controller AIs initiated. As system after system showed success their hearts swelled with pride. But it was short lived - a box, a simple rectangular box had appeared in their hud. The text informing them of their failure was an ancient earth script. In failure, they turned the neuro-recordings over to the archivists that were able to decipher the reason humanity would be extinguished in obscurity. That text was as follows - " Error, msvbvm60.dll not found".

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

win

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they took away my small taskbar icons. fail.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Flexible payment options available with Klarna

you know who else like to change ordinary words to start with kl

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Something tells me ClassicShell will unfuck all the win 11 start menu and task bar fuckery

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

you know who else like to change ordinary words to start with kl

Klarna Bank AB, commonly referred to as Klarna, is a Swedish fintech company that provides online financial services such as payments for online storefronts and direct payments along with post-purchase payments.

The company has 3000 employees.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gonna take a wild guess its one of those 5% actual employees 95% sales and marketing companies

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

klarna is the company that helps you go into debt to buy trainers I think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

also they are a big erlang user iirc, to the point where i am sure monocqc has stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Klarna Bank AB, commonly referred to as Klarna, is a Swedish fintech company that provides online financial services such as payments for online storefronts and direct payments along with post-purchase payments.

hmm i see

"post-purchase payments" meaning financing for luxury goods though right?

pointsofdata posted:

kinda like this?