Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i didnt watch but the system requirements have tpm 2.0 which means so many computers arent gonna be able to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
uninstall linux: problem solved

ubunutu loving up the tpm is an absurd default

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
win 11 needs a tpm 2.0 chip which those cpus have built in, but discrete tpms or other implementations should work fine as well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i doubt its a sales thing cause people are buying at record levels and in the enthusiast space the demand is insane to the point that you cant find stuff to buy.

its more likely they're just doing it because if they dont manufacturers will keep shipping stuff without TPM, or with TPM disabled, and this is a way to force the issue and do better w/ consumer security.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

What I mean is that the rumor was that it's not just the tpm 2.0 requirement, they are actually going to add additional cpu requirements now, but maybe that's not actually true.

I doubt there's any specific reason to require tpm 2.0 except to exclude older computers anyway.

you can remove the tpm 2.0 installer requirement by futzing with the install files so its not a technical limitation, but it would be pretty incredible if they did cut out old cpus like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they're gonna introduce actual technical requirements i'd be surprised if they waited until release as having people test in in beta would be real important to not loving it up.

altho i could certainly see in a year or so after they've got enough machines on 11 they start introducing new features that mandate specific hardware.