Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dynastocles posted:

Hi, I bought a new laptop and, after using it, decided I'd stick to my old one. I did a factory reset, sold it, but according to the new owner she's being asked for my password. I was under the assumption that once you did a factory reset, you'd create a new user account and password and everything. What happened, and what can I do about it?

Did you not boot it up after completing the reset to check? :raise:

Soooooo, if the person you sold it to has a 8gb USB stick, another PC, and internet, you could tell them to do the "option one" instructions here to do a clean reinstall. They shouldn't need a product key.

If they don't have a USB stick etc, you could tell them your password and have them do the "option two" instructions. But that's like, possibly not great for your security. Depends a lot on whether you're using a MS account or local, and what other stuff is tied into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU