Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Listening to the Windows Weekly podcast it seems that Windows 11 won't be available to anyone but Insiders and OEMs until "early 2022". That's odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

Sounding more and more like TPM 2.0 is the requirement. Should be interesting to see MSFT's blog post on it.
Note how that article has 3 different updates with the story changing each time.

And then this:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Listening to the Windows Weekly podcast it seems that Windows 11 won't be available to anyone but Insiders and OEMs until "early 2022". That's odd.
directly contradicts the announced release date for holiday this year in their main announcement.

You know what? I'm having major flashbacks to the Xbox One announcement. A million different articles all with different information, the story changing all the time, and the journalists getting different answers depending on which MS flack they talk to and which day they ask. It's uncanny how similar the immediate post-announce is going.

So I'm not saying that Windows 11 is going to be an equal disaster to the Xboner. For that the PR confusion was, in retrospect, an obvious combo of internal division and nobody wanting to put their face on a product that any idiot could tell was going to be massively unpopular. I can't see how 11 could be that bad unless there are more shoes that haven't dropped. But none of the other potential explanations for why they don't have consistent answers about basic facts are good either. Yikes.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol msft trying to their own sorta WWDC thing and completely loving up every angle of it with messaging.
What will Windows 11 actually run on? Who knows!
Will it ship in the holiday season or not? Who knows!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's really weird they're gating 11 like this, usually the latest Windows will run on any old piece of crap. It might not run well but you can try...

I'm also partially convinced this has to do with the general trend that every software or hardware company wants to be Apple, no matter how miserable the result is. And Apple gets to do strict hardware lockouts for OS releases, so...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm also partially convinced this has to do with the general trend that every software or hardware company wants to be Apple, no matter how miserable the result is. And Apple gets to do strict hardware lockouts for OS releases, so...

The 64-bit processor part is basically a nonproblem, as I don't think anyone's shipped a 32-bit proc since 2002, and the other part is about a specific hardware security feature. Neither of these are Apple-style 'we changed your charger because we need more Q2 profits' stuff.

Although on the other hand it's not like they've confirmed the details fully yet, so who knows. Maybe all Windows 11 machines need a $50 Microsoft TM Certified Dongle to run or something.

I'm glad I'm not the PR team, but it's not like there's any problem for the rest of us waiting a few weeks for MSFT to get their messaging straight.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

The 64-bit processor part is basically a nonproblem, as I don't think anyone's shipped a 32-bit proc since 2002, and the other part is about a specific hardware security feature. Neither of these are Apple-style 'we changed your charger because we need more Q2 profits' stuff.

Although on the other hand it's not like they've confirmed the details fully yet, so who knows. Maybe all Windows 11 machines need a $50 Microsoft TM Certified Dongle to run or something.

I'm glad I'm not the PR team, but it's not like there's any problem for the rest of us waiting a few weeks for MSFT to get their messaging straight.

Intel Atoms were 32 bit and sold into the mid-2010s and there continue to be shitboxes sold with those well towards the end of it. This is why 8 and 10 had 32 bit versions- those and other netbook style race to the bottom garbage Walmart Specials.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 27, 2021

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Why should anyone give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt? There's really no reason why they couldn't have gotten their message straight and ready to go on the 23th.

If TPM is a requirement for new security features, then instead of Panos Panay crying over the new lovely Start menu, have him present those security features. Demonstrate how Win11 might actually improve upon Win10. And then follow that up afterwards with some simple video instructions with "Hey, your hardware probably already supports TPM. Here's how you enable it". Competent messaging really isn't hard. Microsoft just made the choice to not give a poo poo.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

People generally aren't complaining about feature-based requirements. People are complaining about confused/contradictory messaging and this "8th gen or later" cutoff that seems to be based on nothing that would make sense.

https://twitter.com/dwizzzleMSFT/status/1408539533465985024

https://twitter.com/scottgal/status/1408541073211805696

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The better messaging would have been something along the lines of

“You processor needs this set of features/instructions, here is a list of certified processors but you can still run w11 if this tool confirm your system”.

An arbitrary list from intel/amd sounds like “buy new stuff and gently caress you by the way” when you cut off i7 and leave anemic atoms without explaining why.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
That DWIZZLE creature sounds like that "NT Kernel engineer" that showed up a couple years ago. Claiming that ReactOS simply must be stolen NT code because everybody at Microsoft is a genius.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Oh also I want to note just how very low of a bar that celeron is. The cheapest second generation i5, the 2300, beats it by a significant amount.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

The app says I need to have Secure Boot on, but when I enable it in the firmware and restart my computer it just boots back into the firmware until I turn it back off again. Gonna fiddle with it more later I guess.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

owl_pellet posted:

The app says I need to have Secure Boot on, but when I enable it in the firmware and restart my computer it just boots back into the firmware until I turn it back off again. Gonna fiddle with it more later I guess.

Some motherboards will switch from BIOS/CSM to UEFI when activating secure boot, check if your windows install is set up for native uefi

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If it was just a security feature list it would make sense but the dude claiming it's not security related is ???

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

cheesetriangles posted:

If it was just a security feature list it would make sense but the dude claiming it's not security related is ???

Hilarious for the implication Windows 11 is too resource intensive to run on Skylake?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Hilarious for the implication Windows 11 is too resource intensive to run on Skylake?

Especially when Coffee Lake *is* supported, and that was a tiny iteration on Skylake architecturally

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
I have a little HP desktop with an i5-6500 and it fails microsoft's windows 11 check.

Initially it said it failed because the system didn't support secure boot, so I enabled it and TPM in the bios, and I flashed an HP update to upgrade the TPM from 1.2 to 2.0, and now it fails with a generic "the processor isn't supported" message.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

repiv posted:

Especially when Coffee Lake *is* supported, and that was a tiny iteration on Skylake architecturally

Need that 15% to hit a stable 60 on the desktop.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

lazydog posted:

I have a little HP desktop with an i5-6500 and it fails microsoft's windows 11 check.

Initially it said it failed because the system didn't support secure boot, so I enabled it and TPM in the bios, and I flashed an HP update to upgrade the TPM from 1.2 to 2.0, and now it fails with a generic "the processor isn't supported" message.

Only gen 8 and up Intel CPUs are supported.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I think everyone needs to chill until the final OS is released. It looks like nobody knows what's going on so the best thing to do is nothing until we get more information.

If you were looking to upgrade your CPU/mobo anyway it's clear that any current* hardware will work, so you don't need to take Windows 11 into account.

* Yes there are people selling 10 year old poo poo as new on Ebay. You know what I mean.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Grey Area posted:

I think everyone needs to chill until the final OS is released. It looks like nobody knows what's going on so the best thing to do is nothing until we get more information.

If you were looking to upgrade your CPU/mobo anyway it's clear that any current* hardware will work, so you don't need to take Windows 11 into account.

* Yes there are people selling 10 year old poo poo as new on Ebay. You know what I mean.

For what it's worth the people dunking on MSFT's terrible handling of this aren't wrong either :p: this definitely looks like something went really wrong around the requirements so I think it's fair for people to like, mock that.

On the other hand, I agree that nobody needs to be doing any planning based on that for a while.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grey Area posted:

Yeah, this. There's even the question of what "supported" means -- does it mean that the OS will refuse to install on the machine, or just that Microsoft won't "support" you?

Oh noes, how will we live without MS Answers amazing support of replying "run sfc /scannow and dism /online /RestoreHealth" to every single thread regardless of the symptoms?!?!!1!

Grey Area posted:

Even that I'd hold off on, since between supply disruption and other factors it's a really lovely time to get a new PC. Well, desktops anyways.

Using Win10 until 2022 when hopefully things will be way better isn't a terrible loss.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
While I’m sure the 2020 XPS with an i71165G7 I bought a month ago will have no trouble meeting the Win11 minimum requirements, it would be nice if the tool would tell me that. But I’m running Win10 Enterprise so it says I need to speak to my system administrator instead. I’m the system administrator and I don’t know.

Pretty absurd to not just say, yes your hardware will run Win11 but your organization may have additional requirements that may block you from running it, instead of refusing to give any info whatsoever.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Pro tip, the official windows 11 scan tool sucks as hard as biztalk

You can use this to get clear indication of why you can’t update

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

Yeah, this. There's even the question of what "supported" means -- does it mean that the OS will refuse to install on the machine, or just that Microsoft won't "support" you?

Or unsupported could mean that Microsoft adds more passive-aggressive code that makes updates refuse to install.

SkyBeese
Jun 28, 2021
Ideally with my systems that currently have windows 10 I will continue to use them on 10 until Microsoft kills support, I ran both XP and 7 until their inevitable death date and will do it again. Absolutely insane how a Ryzen 3050u with 2 threads can officially support win11 but a 7700k isn't officially on their list.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How much you wanna bet this is in response to the 11 compatibility fiasco. Gotta love that "powerhouse performance" from the entry level 6th gen i5 model.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Using Win10 until 2022 when hopefully things will be way better isn't a terrible loss.

I mean, that's only like 6 months and a few days away.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I guess I'm in luck, I just built a new PC and the TPM is the only thing I'll need to mess with. My wife's older computers on the other hand might be troublesome.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I paid $30 to order some little tpm thing from a rando on ebay, now my windows is secure enough to run new windows, grats me

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

$30 is too much to pay to run any version of Windows IMO

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I bought a 1600 AF last year, which is a 2600 in all but name, but I'm sure Windows 11 won't allow it to work because it doesn't have the right number.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone with old hardware is going to end up running Windows 11 in a vm with gpu passthrough just to emulate, tpm, secureboot, uefi and cpu-id.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
if your poo poo doesn't support TPM 2.0 then you have to install x86 Windows XP Starter Edition. i'm sorry i don't make the rules

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Here we go:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/28/22553639/microsoft-windows-11-download-available-preview-features

Also this:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/28/22554245/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-intel-7th-gen-amd-zen-1-pc - Microsoft says it’ll test support for Intel 7th Gen and AMD Zen 1 chips.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

My install of the leaked build just got an update to the new preview build.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Was it the CCCCCOMA build?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Just enrolled my laptop in the Dev channel. Let's do this thing :toot:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Installed on an unsupported 7700k, so far so good. Mostly feels like a skin for Windows 10. Start menu in the middle of the screen makes zero sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Settings menu now looks good. I like the new icons and the colors in File Explorer. Center taskbar is dumb. Taskbar being even bigger than the non-small taskbar in Win10 is loving outrageous. Eventually the taskbar is going to take up half of the bottom of your screen and we're going to struggle to fit more than 5 or 6 lines of text in what few pixels constitute "the desktop" in the future I guess. Not being able to toggle on labels for open programs is insanely stupid and something I'm hoping they fix early on. Right now your taskbar customizations are limited to "align center" or "align left" and that's basically it.

Start Menu sucks, having "All Apps" be a tiny rear end button in the top right corner is totally useless for people who frequently use a variety of different apps, and having them all pinned to the Start Menu/Taskbar/some combination of both just feels incredibly ugly. The Widgets panel is completely pointless - let us pin them to the desktop or fuckin' get rid of the thing. I find it hard to believe that people are using widgets frequently enough to give them their own dedicated flyout menu when they obviously weren't being used enough to even justify having Live Tiles in the Start Menu in the first place, somewhere where they might actually be seen.

Performance-wise it runs just fine, I had no issues with programs or apps running once the preview build had been installed. I was using Classic Shell before and though it popped up its "We need to configure Classic Shell for your new operating system" message, it doesn't work at all on Win11 right now so we're stuck with the stock one. Other than that, everything seems to work fine, though I haven't exactly done much other than light web browsing and looking around in the menus.

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 28, 2021