Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enterprise is the no bullshit SKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Enterprise is the no bullshit SKU

Can you buy a perpetual license to Enterprise in W11? I thought that it was tied exclusive to CALs or some CAL-like system?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's either volume license or M365 subscription unfortunately

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

It's either volume license or M365 subscription unfortunately

Womp.

Yeah, if they would let me buy that, and it just checked the boxes of 'no bullshit', I'd pay them several hundred dollars for that. I want to like Windows - I really, really do, and I'm willing to pay for that even if it means it costs a premium. Just please let me buy it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you can be bothered to create an M365 tenant then you can buy a single license, you need to find a CSP reseller. RRP for Windows Enterprise E3 is £5.30/month according to the price list I have.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

If you can be bothered to create an M365 tenant then you can buy a single license, you need to find a CSP reseller. RRP for Windows Enterprise E3 is £5.30/month according to the price list I have.

This is an interesting idea and good info - many thanks. I might look into this.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Will Windows boot off your old drive? Like Kylith said, check your BIOS settings, but you might also need to fix the Windows bootloader - it is way more finicky than comparable systems like GRUB for Linux.

The tool I've used for this in the past is EasyBCD, but it's not something I've had to do a lot and others may have better suggestions.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I finally managed to boot with both drives installed and it doesn't seems like my old one might just be hosed. Explorer can't read the drive, chkdsk throws errors, and diskpart can't even delete the UEFI partition due to an I/O error even though it can see it. It's only a couple of years old too, last time I buy a Western Digital product.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tofes posted:

I finally managed to boot with both drives installed and it doesn't seems like my old one might just be hosed. Explorer can't read the drive, chkdsk throws errors, and diskpart can't even delete the UEFI partition due to an I/O error even though it can see it. It's only a couple of years old too, last time I buy a Western Digital product.

Is it an actual HDD and not an SSD? I've developed a phobia toward spinning drives at this point, and don't have any running in a live machine anymore.

You could try using different cables and ports to connect it to be exhaustive - if it has bad power or faulty SATA connection it seems like it could cause those issues, although the probability is probably on the side of it just going bad if it's a spinning metal drive.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I had the OneDrive default save locations for libraries error again on two more new laptops today. Very cool lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Yossarian posted:

I had the OneDrive default save locations for libraries error again on two more new laptops today. Very cool lol

Perplexing. This error keeps happening on computers you personally install windows to?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

Perplexing. This error keeps happening on computers you personally install windows to?

Both personally and pre-installed. I've more or less figured out the cause however. If you use a Microsoft account on activation , one drive is always installed with windows and backs up and syncs desktop, documents and pictures folders and sets their location as the OneDrive folder. If you don't turn off backup BEFORE uninstalling OneDrive it makes it basically impossible to change location. It requires regedit, although it might be possible to re-install one drive, THEN turn off backup and change folders and then uninstall again? I wish it just asked if you wanted this poo poo in the first place

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Koskun posted:

As to adblocker, uBlock Origin will prevent commercials on Youtube and Peacock from ever starting. You still get whatever sponsor spot the youtuber themselves put in, but no in-video ads at all. It's made it so I HATE trying to watch anything on my TV on the Roku.

With SponsorBlock, you can even skip the sponsor spots in a lot of videos!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is it an actual HDD and not an SSD? I've developed a phobia toward spinning drives at this point, and don't have any running in a live machine anymore.

You could try using different cables and ports to connect it to be exhaustive - if it has bad power or faulty SATA connection it seems like it could cause those issues, although the probability is probably on the side of it just going bad if it's a spinning metal drive.

It's an SSD. I tried swapping the cables already :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tofes posted:

It's an SSD. I tried swapping the cables already :(

As a last ditch effort to salvage anything off the drive you could try running it in an enclosure if you have one. I don't know if it's still in warranty, but what you're describing doesn't sound good.

krissgjeng
May 2, 2012

tofes posted:

If you want to try to reuse the drive, you can try to secure erase it.
you will lose anything that is on the drive, but i have had ssds in the past that got fixed by secure erasing them.
you can use a live usb linux drive and follow this guide: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is an interesting idea and good info - many thanks. I might look into this.

Please circle back and report if you do it. I'm also interested in that poo poo and not a business.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is StartAllBack still the pick for "get the drat taskbar off the bottom of the screen" app? I'm one of those degenerates that likes it on the right side and I'm about to build a new PC and slap Win11 on it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Echophonic posted:

Is StartAllBack still the pick for "get the drat taskbar off the bottom of the screen" app? I'm one of those degenerates that likes it on the right side and I'm about to build a new PC and slap Win11 on it.

I can't speak for any alleged hiveminds, but I still use and like it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I can't speak for any alleged hiveminds, but I still use and like it.

It’s good. I even paid for mine iirc

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why the gently caress does pausing automatic OS updates also mean that I can't see or install any optional updates? I don't need to pause optional updates because those are under my control anyway. Why does Microsoft provide so little granularity or user choice with basic functionality?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You know why.

because we're Microsoft, gently caress you, that's why

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I bought it around 11's launch and still use it. It does what it says on the box, but I still prefer 10's over it.
No idea about the sides. I'm the kind of degenerate that puts it on top.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I accidentally found a silly way to get an unbloated Win 11 :v:

Just had to use a manufacturer's image to :pt: and when on first startup it boots into QC/admin mode, just never go beyond it as it will then go into the "out of the box experience" complete MS account and all that bullshit.

Yes these are literally all apps. Not even paint is there lol.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Where did you get an OEM image? I wonder if there's a way to customise the installation for 11 Pro using command lines or some such? What your disk space usage before you install anything else once Windows is installed?

I'm not short on space or anything but it could be handy for shoving it onto older machines when skipping the TPM checks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where did you get an OEM image? I wonder if there's a way to customise the installation for 11 Pro using command lines or some such? What your disk space usage before you install anything else once Windows is installed?

I'm not short on space or anything but it could be handy for shoving it onto older machines when skipping the TPM checks.
I had to whine to their support a bit after I hosed up the touchscreen controller with an update lol. That actually didn't help because the issue is with the on-chip configuration but now I have a cool WinPE thing to set everything up that they sent me.

I remember there being a way to customize the install image but I haven't janitored anything in a while so I don't remember how exactly that works.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Never combine taskbar items is coming back babyyyyyyyyyyyy

Icons only, no titles, but still

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Never combine taskbar items is coming back babyyyyyyyyyyyy

Icons only, no titles, but still
Wow, what will they think of next!??

Maybe a search & replace window that you can move so that it doesn't obstruct the text it found

(to be fair it might've been fixed in the latest build, I had to wipe to stock image temporarily)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Wow, what will they think of next!??

Maybe a search & replace window that you can move so that it doesn't obstruct the text it found

(to be fair it might've been fixed in the latest build, I had to wipe to stock image temporarily)

But will it ruin the aesthetic ??

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

But will it ruin the aesthetic ??

Why don't users ever think about the drat a e s t h e t i c ?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why the gently caress do I have an Edge search bar at the top of the loving desktop?

Holy poo poo, keep going at it Microsoft. Someone else has been waxing on about the virtues of Proton for Linux gaming, and you're not helping.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why the gently caress do I have an Edge search bar at the top of the loving desktop?

Holy poo poo, keep going at it Microsoft. Someone else has been waxing on about the virtues of Proton for Linux gaming, and you're not helping.

I don't know what you did, but I don't have that. What version of Windows? I haven't received the 22h2 update yet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hooah posted:

I don't know what you did, but I don't have that. What version of Windows? I haven't received the 22h2 update yet.

I've received the update and also have no idea what he's talking about

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have a purple gorilla on my desktop singing and telling jokes, seriously what are they thinking

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Usually when i see this it's a stupid virus/fake chrome/edge chromium thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
it's a real thing lmao

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-build-25120-desktop-search-bar/
https://www.ghacks.net/2022/11/21/microsoft-is-turning-windows-11s-start-menu-into-an-advertisement-delivery-system/

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone else has been waxing on about the virtues of Proton for Linux gaming, and you're not helping.

If you don't play competitive multiplayer or f2p online games it's like magic.

(linux itself I'd give an 8/10 -- much improved but still imperfect. like, right now I have to revert to LTS kernel because mainline gives me hard GPU crashes. still better than what 11 is turning into.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Terrible, but I wouldn't describe that as "on top of the desktop".

Never using the start menu keeps paying dividends!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't even get it. All Joe Generic does most of the time, if not gaming, is surf the web in a browser that'll obscure that bar.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
TBH Windows 11 stopped working for a bunch of my applications. They would just close! Then odd rear end hitching in video playback, games, etc. 22H2 has been a debacle and Im a little worried.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

Why don't users ever think about the drat a e s t h e t i c ?

Speaking of aesthetic, I've been using a dark theme on the laptop for like a month or two and never until now ran into this insane fuchsia color as a window background color. It's a bit disconcerting when everything else is dark grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I mean, like, you're probably holding it wrong.