Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

barnold posted:

Internet Explorer will be disabled by default on new installs.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The vast majority of motherboard manufacturers and computer manufacturers are going to have 1-click BIOS updates that enable TPM. Don't sweat it.

In the meantime, if you want to turn it on manually, check your mobo manual. It's generally just finding the right switch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

Absolutely. TPM was designed for security, but versus the threats of 10-15 years ago. When people were worried about hackers stealing your data and credit cards, locking it behind encryption and securing the keys with hardware protection was a good idea. It wouldn't have done much good in practice, but their heart was in the right place.

It's useless against ransomware. Ransomware doesn't care that much about stealing data. Sure they'll exfiltrate sensitive data if they can but that's secondary to extracting ransoms by trashing a business. Even if the encryption is good enough to keep data hidden, they can always encrypt the whole dang drive again with a second layer of encryption to lock it.

OTOH the trusted computing concept remains just as potentially dangerous to user rights and centralization / abuse of power by the holders of the master keys as it always was. The fact that all the hardware bits have sat there inert for a decade has changed nothing.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Microsoft's reasoning for requiring TPM, then. Do you think they are requiring it just to have the least amount of people upgrade to Windows 11? Are they just misguided, and you know better than them on security? Do you think they've struck a deal with PC manufacturers in an effort to sell more new PCs?

I don't mean any snark there, I'm honestly curious. What incentive would Microsoft have to be wrong about this? Or are they just wrong because they're dumb? What's your read on the situation?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Klyith, just wanted to say that I've appreciated your thoughtful responses. Been trying to find some time to reply and just haven't, but maybe today! It's a good conversation to be having!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

codo27 posted:

Man what was the name of that program I think I got on a PC gamer cd 100 years ago that transformed your desktop into an actual 3D space station looking room that you could walk around and interact with the icons and junk in a totally superfluous way

Microsoft Bob?!?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Half tempted to preemptively update to 11 just because my 10 install seems incapable of updating anymore. I'm getting error code 0x8007000d every time, and none of the tips about fixing it I've seen online work, so maybe I should just jump straight into Windows 11. Is this a terrible idea?

Do you have a WMR headset? If so, uninstall it and try again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/mr9g45/cumulative_win_10_update_broken_by_wmr_again/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, and this actually worked. How on earth did they make it so WMR breaks windows update? Amazing, lmao

Thanks for the fix.

Glad it worked for you. I had the same issue a few months ago. Definitely frustrating.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

repiv posted:

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready/

ASUS is cooking BIOS updates to enable the relevant bits for Windows 11 by default

handy

I promise to use my powers only for good.

Internet Explorer posted:

The vast majority of motherboard manufacturers and computer manufacturers are going to have 1-click BIOS updates that enable TPM. Don't sweat it.

In the meantime, if you want to turn it on manually, check your mobo manual. It's generally just finding the right switch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright folks. As a general guideline, let's all ask ourselves "does this post make the thread obnoxious to read" before posting.

redeyes posted:

Oh ok, so you know better.

Post better. Please.

DerekSmartymans posted:

What in the world is “sea lioning?” Is it like “gaslighting,” “dog whistling,” “virtue signaling?” Or is it just terms to sound like moral superiority over commies & chuds depending on who is losing the debate at the moment? (edit: not a slap of either one of you two, personally; I’m behind the times because I don’t go on Twitter and haven’t logged into Facebook in a few years.)

I can’t find my Urban Dictionary app for my iPhone so I’m not able to search :shrug:

Come on. If I can't tell if you're being really dense or just trolling, I am going to assume the later. We all have Google here, we can try using it and then posing questions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Dig up, not down. Its time to give up on this one.

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright folks. As a general guideline, let's all ask ourselves "does this post make the thread obnoxious to read" before posting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BoosterDuck posted:

how do you remove recycle bin from the desktop again

I don't know about 11, but in 10 it's under Settings > Themes, and then one of the "old" Control Panel links called "Desktop icon settings."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Windows Update. "Patch Tuesday" refers to patches from Microsoft. They've also gotten pretty good about including important 3rd party patches within Windows Updates these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How will the update be delivered? Windows Update or through some motherboard download or something directly from AMD?

More info on this -
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/fixes-for-amd-ryzen-performance-other-windows-11-issues-rolling-out-to-testers-now/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm a big fan of Greenshot. Worth checking out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not saying this isn't a good thread to discuss the topic, but if you're interested, there's an InfoSec thread that likely has more security minded folks - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534

If you want to use Veracrypt, you can disable Bitlocker and use Veracrypt.

Bitlocker as it is out of the box isn't super secure. If you can get local admin, you can get that data. Microsoft covers some attack vectors and makes mitigation suggestions here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/bitlocker/bitlocker-countermeasures#attack-countermeasures

That being said, for the vast majority of cases, enabling Bitlocker and leaving it at the default is a huge improvement over the previous situation, which was no encryption at all. If you password protect your BIOS/UEFI, set up pre-boot authentication with TPM for PIN, and follow the guidance at the link above for power management adjustments, you'll be in pretty decent shape.

Some of the attack vectors you are worried about are not problems that Bitlocker was meant to solve. IMO, etc., etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I installed Windows 11 because I wanted to play with the HDR settings and it's been fine. No real complaints. I'll hand in my mod star or whatever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Ok please elaborate; this sounds hilarious.

:ccp:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/12/eve-online-trinity-borks-windows-deletes-boot-ini/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Number_6 posted:

As a non-techy PC user I think it's ridiculous that it's almost commonly accepted that it's somehow OK for Windows (whatever version) to crash or corrupt itself to the extent that doing a reinstall and/or rollback of the OS is necessary. That should not be a normal occurrence. Every time there's a Windows update I have anxiety poo poo's going to blow up.

My systems running XP and Windows 7 were pretty darn stable, but that was probably because after a certain point, when they were running well, I locked them down to avoid system updates and driver changes, which is much more difficult now since Windows 10/11 just about crams that poo poo down your throat (even forced BIOS updates) whether you need it or not.

As a techy PC user, if your Windows XP install was more stable than your Windows 10/11 install, then you were either very lucky or are very unlucky. If a Windows upgrade is causing you anxiety, something is wrong.

As far as is being commonly accepted that the answer to some problems is to reinstall the OS, I think you may be misunderstanding. The reason a reinstall is often the answer is simply because it is easier than troubleshooting. It's not that troubleshooting has gotten more difficult, it's that reinstalling has gotten ridiculously easy. I'll note that what started this conversation was someone who has had the same Windows install for "over 15 years." Then you have people objecting to reinstalls because they incorrectly think they have to redownload all of their games over LTE. Or have created such a game of mousetrap for themselves that they cannot recreate an environment that they themselves consider critical to their workflows.

If you work in tech you know that we've been battling over this concept for at least the past decade, if not longer. This concept of emphasizing things that are resilient to failure rather than trying to make things that never fail. This concept of ephemeral objects. This concept of cattle over pets. And guess what? The artisanal handcrafted stuff lost that battle. If your PC and workspace is in such a precarious position that the thought of applying Windows updates gives you anxiety, it's time to reevaluate, because that's not the way the tech world works these days and it's time to stop swimming upstream.

Frankly, again, as someone who has been doing this professionally for 20 years, I'm usually reading this thread and shaking my head. That's not to discourage anyone from posting, sharing their opinions, or disagreeing with me. I'm just saying it's getting increasingly difficult to put myself in some (in my opinion) increasingly outdated shoes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you've already got one device with 11 and you're installing Windows fresh, I don't see why to not install 11 unless you have some major reason not to.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

carry on then posted:

A complete clean install doesn’t sound very easy to me compared to just having an update downloaded and applied.

They didn't say it was easier. Just that it was easy. It's also not a clean install.

Microsoft staggers updates for all sorts of reasons. Google does the same thing with Android. Either wait, or do what was recommended if it's important to you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been maintaining Windows endpoints professionally for 20 years. I don't do anything to my personal Windows 11 installs other than install them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you have a dynamic disk as your system drive? I do, and that seems to be causing a problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hooah posted:

I have no idea what a dynamic disc is. So... maybe? Windows is installed on an NVME drive.

check disk manager

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/basic-and-dynamic-disks

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is awesome. I can confirm it runs on current Windows 11, just updated from the Microsoft Store. I was curious to see if it works on Windows 10. My work laptop still has an old version and the store isn't showing me the newest, so unsure if that's because it's locked down or because Windows 10 only gets old versions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get outta here, I just changed the thread title and the current one is excellent.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's me, I'm the PM at Microsoft that decided to axe all of your obscure taskbar settings. And I'll do it again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Windows XP, about 23 years ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pvt. Parts posted:

Sorry but this take just isn't it. Accessibility is way more important than any kind of transparency. If computers are "breaking" (ie not being as useful as they could be for a user because of legacy design choices or otherwise) then that's a system design problem, not a tardi user problem.

How are they not as useful? People get by just fine without needing to know folder structure or not to delete important system files. I don't see how that's an accessibility issue.

[edit: apparently I misread, disregard]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 20, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

As someone who has worked on the customer service side for over two decades, you're unequivocally wrong on this. The primary concern should definitely be accessibility. Aim for the least proficient people you think will be using your stuff, halve it and hope that you haven't overshot your estimate.

In most cases the more options you provide, its more "teach a man to fish and hope he doesn't shoot his foot off" - you've got no idea where he got the gun when you were teaching him to fish but somehow he still managed to gently caress it up.

Yes, 100% this. If you can make software, or anything, as frictionless as possible, that should be your goal. That is good design.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Through the lens of someone who's primary goal is to turn support tickets around quickly, I absolutely agree with you.

That should not be the goal of functional software.

I dunno what to tell you, but you're wrong. Not just when it comes to computers, but to design in general. The most elegant designs are as powerful as they can possibly be with the minimum of learning curve. Using folders as an example, they aren't intuitive to anyone who grew up without putting physical files into physical folders or on software meant to emulate that. The youngings understanding tagging just fine. They don't need folders.

You come off as the computer version of "you have to be able to change your own oil." No, no you don't. Not only because oil changes are cheap and ubiquitous, but because cars that need oil likely won't be a thing that someone who is 10 today has to even think about.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's some goons who sell Windows keys in SA-Mart for quite cheap. I've used them successfully in the past. Not an endorsement, etc., etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh it was something else.
I forgot it had a USB dongle. :sweatdrop:

Yes, that's normal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also normal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, you posted some video randomly with no other context or conversation going on and are mad at the guy for (incorrectly?) blaming Intel when you're saying it's Win11. You offer no proof or really anything at all to discuss. You trust that the person is correctly measuring latency that is apparently endemic to all Win11 installs, but don't trust his conclusion that it's Intel CPUs?

I guess I'm just confused as to what we're doing here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

OneDrive is not a backup, or at least should not be your only backup. No always-active cloud storage without guaranteed rollback should be.

As the most basic and obvious thing, if your PC gets malwared and some ransomware starts encrypting all your poo poo, OneDrive will happily upload the encrypted files overwriting the good ones. (And in a most pessimistic scenario, you don't know it's happening and that gets synced across multiple PCs.)

This applies equally to gdrive, dropbox, etc.

OneDrive stores versions for 30 days. Recycling bin is 30 days.

Yes, it's not bullet proof, but yes it is way better than the average user is ever going to do, let alone trying to get random Windows end users to do "three manual backups I am in absolute control over," which is just laughably naive advice. [edit: not saying you suggested it]

Sure, it's great if you want to blame people for their problems, but it's not remotely within reach of 99.9999....% of users, and likely the vast majority of "tech" folks as well.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 30, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good luck with that approach. For an answer in the Windows 11 thread, OneDrive is a great solution for the average person.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

Is this actually guaranteed on the base level of free OneDrive, that the average schmo ITT who turns on a MS account gets? I think it is not, and all descriptions of OneDrive's protection features are sure to mention a Microsoft 365 subscription. How that works out in practice, I don't know.

Version history explicitly counts towards your storage limit. What does OneDrive do when you hit the cap? I know other clouds like gdrive would silently remove old versions in those circumstances, which is why "cloud drives aren't backup" is a rule.

I'd love to see a test where someone uploads 4 GB of data to OneDrive on a free account, fakes a ransomware overwrite, and then tries to restore the old versions 48 hours later. Until I see that test, I'm skeptical.

I mean it's certainly better than no backups at all. The vast majority of data loss is hardware failure and even free cloud storage covers that. But it is not the same as a backup.

This is dumb. Here's what a practical for anybody "3 copies you control" plan looks like:
1. I have a 1TB laptop drive in an external caddy. It lives in a drawer and I plug it in and run a backup once a month.
2. I have a 1TB laptop drive at my mom's house. About once or twice a year when visiting I swap the drives. (I try to visit more than that but don't do the drives thing every time.)
3. I have the data on my PC.

That's it. 2 laptop drives and a repeating reminder in the calendar. That is... not out of reach for most people. It's under $150 in one-time costs, does not take much of your time once routine, and does not require some deep IT knowledge to execute. I don't know, but I think most of the people reading this could do this.

Do I think this is what everyone should do? No. Do I think that everyone should have backups? Yes. A paid cloud service is equally good. (And you don't need the whole 3-2-1 thing with cloud.)

But you know what I really dislike about your "eh onedrive is good enough, everyone should use it" take? Free onedrive is only 5GB. Bullshit if you think 99.9999....% of people ITT have less than 5GB of data in their mydocs and pictures folders that will be imported to onedrive. So by flatly saying use onedrive with no further qualifications or information, you're telling them to either buy a subscription service or have a frustrating time managing data to not go over their cap.

What I really dislike about your "i plug in an external drive once a month and take another drive to mom's house" is that in my entire life, I have never ever ever heard of someone doing this. If I suggested this to any friends or family, they would think I was crazy. And yes, many people have less than 5 GB of data in their docs because no one is storing pictures or videos on their computer now. It's all in Google Photos and iCloud. Hell, their documents probably aren't even in their docs folder.

And I like how you handwave away someone having hard drives and caddies, but somehow $2 a month for 100 GB is some incredible affront.

And yes, the free version has version control.

People don't want to worry about whether or not their documents are backed up. They are worried about making their mortgage/rent, not losing their jobs, their parent's health, their kids' soccer games, etc. Pretending like it is some societal good that we teach people to do things the hard way because we dislike it is like raging that people don't know how to change their own oil or swap their own tires. Hell, it's like preaching abstinence education. It completely ignores the fact that human beings do human being things.

So, in the Windows 11 thread, I am going to continue to suggest OneDrive as being the best solution for the average end user. If you want to preach 3-2-1 here, that's certainly you sharing your opinion. If you could also get around to telling all the backup admins who do this for a living and still can't manage 3-2-1 or testing backups, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I apologize for being weirdly hostile throughout this conversation. While I am genuinely surprised and have trouble understanding how someone can advocate for 3-2-1 for average home end users, that doesn't excuse my lazy and hostile way for getting that across. Been busy and stressed with life/work, and with the even small amount of modding I do, SA time has mostly been relegated to short comments that are not conducive to good technical discussions. Still no need for the hostility and making the thread less enjoyable to read from me.

My bad y'all.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 30, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Good lord, what is that company doing to its OS

Nice. That thread title change is for you, astral.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of Windows volume control? Mostly around making 100% be lower volume, right now even 25% is louder than I would ever want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks all for the responses/ideas.

Unfortunately, the headphones I am using are Bluetooth and each item in the stack (headphones, aptX dongle) has volume control that just manipulates the OS volume control.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can also do that via software. Basically installing a software only audio mixer and putting it between windows and the speakers.

Yeah... I might have to go this route. I was really hoping to avoid further complicating my audio setup as I switch devices fairly frequently, but this may be the only route.

Thanks goons!