Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We've left behind NBC's terrible poo poo garbage coverage of the French Open and returned to the warm bosom of https://www.espn.com/watch/ for

https://www.wimbledon.com/

To start the slam season, Novak "Djoker" Djokovic won the Australian Open for the 9th time. At the French Open, he pwned Rafael "King of Clay" Nadal in the semifinals and came from 2-0 sets down to beat Stefanos "Greek God" Tsitsipas to become the only male player in the Open Era to win a double career slam. The first male Open Era calendar year slam (golden slam this year because of the Olympics) is also on; Steffi Graf in 1998 is the most recent person to complete the calendar slam, in 1988, and it was a golden slam.

Roger "Swiss Maestro" Federer is seeded 6 and on the opposite side of the draw from Novak.

The women's draw is open. Serena Williams is still the favorite since Simona Halep (who beat her in 2019) isn't playing due to a calf injury and Naomi Osaka (who is unproven on grass) withdrew for mental health reasons.

Since the last Wimbledon in 2019, there are a number of new big names but we don't have much data for them on grass, so a lot of top seeds could lose in the 1st week.

Draws
Gentlmen: https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/2021_MS_draw.pdf
Ladies: https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/2021_LS_draw.pdf

Top 8 Men's betting favorites
Novak Djokovic -134
Daniil Medvedev +600
Stefanos Tsitsipas +750
Roger Federer +1100
Matteo Berrettini +1200
Alexander Zverev +2000
Andrey Rublev +4000
Felix Auger Aliassime +5000
Nick Kyrgios +5000

Top 8 Women's betting favorites
Ashleigh Barty +600
Serena Williams +650
Aryna Sabalenka +1100
Petra Kvitova +1200
Garbiñe Muguruza +1600
Iga Swiatek +1600
Cori Gauff +2000
Elena Rybakina +2000

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Excited for this! Djokovic has been in incredible form lately, but I would love to see Federer take this slam and then retire in his post-match speech. Very unlikely though, unfortunately. Zverev and Berretini will underperform. If anyone besides Djokovic wins it will be Medvedev or Tsitsipas.

On the Ladies side I want Barty to prove she's not a one slam wonder, and I've become a fan of Swiatek over the last 18 months too.

Oh and I think Murray makes it to Round 3.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hard to see anyone but Novak winning. Apart from an improbable upset occurring there isn't anyone else as good as him on his day.

Actually lost a set in the first round though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Heard that Serena is skipping the Olympics. Lol. Always a good sign when a big tennis player with very high endurance and amazing results does that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying Wimbledon - Slapstick Edition this year. Is someone out there greasing up the grass at night or something?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Jfc Andy never does it the easy way.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
A bunch of seeds on the gents side just begging to be upset in R3.
Tiafoe > Khachanov
Fucsovics > Shwartzman
Korda > Evans
Kyrgios > Auger-Aliassime
Norrie > Federer

I think FAA and Fed are probably pretty safe. If Murray takes the first set over Shapovalov to get some momentum and the crowd behind him he could nab a miracle 5 set win.

Ladies seeds look a lot safer, if I to pick some upsets it would be
Linette > Badosa
Or maybe Keys > Mertens? They're both seeded though. Many Ladies seeds are already out so there aren't as many crazy upsets on the table.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

We're probably in for a Federer/Medvedev quarterfinal, so that'll be fun. The winner of that'll probably beat Zverev to reach the final, and on the other side of the bracket you'll almost certainly have Djokovic beating Shapovalov in the semifinal, and unless their opponent somehow pulls it off, Djokovic'll probably take the whole tournament.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Gross. I'm rooting for the kid, Shapovalov.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I regret to inform you all that once again, Medvedev is loving it

e: loving hell. Come on Shapovalov

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 6, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Let's go Barty :toot:

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I'm taking the day off work if she wins 🍾🦘

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Hurkacz is two sets and two breaks up against Federer. Goddamn.

e: there it is. Federer has just been bagelled at Wimbledon for the very first time. Holy poo poo.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 7, 2021

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Please retire fed don’t drag this out any more. It’s been a good run.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

First bagel for Federer at all since like 08 I'm pretty sure. I don't wanna say just retire but man did he ever look old today. Maybe he just needs more matches but I can't imagine that's better for old legs than more rest.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

comedy option: Federer starts playing doubles with Murray

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The sad thing is Federer looked like he didn't care in the last set. Real going through the motions stuff, no fight at all. Apart from a number of unforced errors a few of the winners Hurkacz hit would have been reached by a more motivated player, it was quite sad. Unless he finds some new way of inspiring himself he's done.

Can't be great watching Djokovic on the road to surpassing his all-time grand slam wins record as well.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 8, 2021

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Federer will always be the GOAT no matter what "vegan boy" accomplishes (IMHO).

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Knees can take well over a year to heal completely. What could be perceived as lack of effort is probably just playing it safe with his body. I think Federer will continue to improve physically through the end of the year and 2022 will be when he makes his heroic final push in some slams.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tacier posted:

Knees can take well over a year to heal completely. What could be perceived as lack of effort is probably just playing it safe with his body. I think Federer will continue to improve physically through the end of the year and 2022 will be when he makes his heroic final push in some slams.
You could see it in his face though, Federer was so over that match after losing the tie-break. It was probably at that moment he really realized that regardless of what happened he has exactly zero chance against Joker as things stand, so what's the point. Fed has won Wimbledon 8 times, even getting to the final isn't enough.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao, Berrettini's probably going through to the final in straight sets, seeing as he just bagelled Hurkacz, who just bagelled Federer

come on Shapovalov

e: welp, spoke too soon. Still,

e2: and that's Shapovalov out. Congratulations to Djokovic for his 20th Grand Slam

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 9, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
gently caress i couldn't even find this thread no posts on Ash Barty winning...

i remember when tennis was getting dozens of pages, the end of the Fed-Nad era has been a doooooown period.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Unfortunately, tennis is poo poo these days.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In my day the bastards retired at age 26 so there was always fresh blood at the top.

Also Go Barty :toot:

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
The Gents final wasn't exactly a memorable one. Djokovic's performance reminded me a bit of late Floyd Mayweather fights - never really needed to hit beast mode and just content to cruise to a decisive victory without needing to dig for a knockout blow.

Super happy for Barty's win, but the pressure from Aussie media during the Olympics will be immense since we don't have many other gold medal hopes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Berrettini went a break down early in every set, it was a very managed performance by Djokovic. Good on Berrettini managing to win that first set at least.

Djokovic has to be a huge favourite at the US Open, who's going to stop him getting to 21? At the current rate he's going to end up in the high 20s, Nadal probably picks up another one or two French Opens and Federer retires. Feels weird that Federer was seemingly the unassailable GOAT for so long and could end up in a fairly distant third in his own generation of players.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can't find an actual tennis thread but this us open women's final has been pretty wild. Lots of errors but good

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, agreed-- it's wild seeing two teenagers come out of virtually nowhere and power through the field to meet in the final. Good match for sure!

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I was looking for a thread too, weird that no one here is talking about this! Thrilling match so far.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Crazy good game of tennis.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sliding your knee on the court so hard and fast that you leave a long mark, poo poo

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The whole open on the women's side has been great, and this was a great finish
the men's of course is just novak

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Raducanu is a fantastic player, just really really strong.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fernandez seems real pissed about the length of that medical timeout

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I gotta say, I love the sort of blunt "here's $2.5 million, champ". It's kinda refreshing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Amazing final. I don't know what Fernandez had to complain about since you can't play with an open wound. I imagine they'll both win multiple slams on this evidence though.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It has been really entertaining watching the rotating cast of former British number 1s show up on the BBC live feed

Can't see Raducanu letting go of that for a long time

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Raducanu is much stronger than Fernandez. Raducanu will go on to win a bunch more slams while Fernandez will be a solid top 20 player. Fantastic final regardless of future predictions, Raducanu was able to clutch out all the big moments at the business end of each set and really never looked in danger. Story of her tournament to be fair, she never even got taken to a tie break let alone lose a set.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
fuckin hype for the djoker - med final, let's GO nole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
nole gonna lose the first set as is customary