Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a combination of the people who play MP really know it, but also the netcode is pretty awful. When I tried it, probably 90% of the time it was unplayable due to lag/packet loss.

Yeah I gave the multiplayer one night of attempts and every time it was just ridiculously laggy. Shame, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

drat, makes Pickle Rixly sound like a metaphor for the game as a whole

Turned a day into a loop. Funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dogstile posted:

Yeah I gave the multiplayer one night of attempts and every time it was just ridiculously laggy. Shame, really.

That's my secret, Cap, I'm always playing at 300 ping.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
What a trip. I started the game when it was released, but didn't get very far due to meh PC performance. Now with an upgraded GPU I dived back into it, reset progression and went at it.
There's a lot of content I scratched my head over; by the time I found out I could disable Franks security system I pretty much never needed to go back to his club, likewise with Charlies game and evacuating it.
The party has been mentioned many times in the thread as a missed opportunity and I can't help but agree. Bit of a bummer the "save the mask maker" didn't pan out where I thought it would.
There are probably a lot of things I missed, but I feel like I got rewarded for most of it. The Smoking thing outside Colts apartment I never got around to, as well as the Moxie, Charlies nightly games, I had to actually be *heavily* hinted at from a friend that Pick existed and oof. A lot of stuff.

Overall a good time, if maybe not mindblowingly good. My nitpicks are probably that it felt like I just skipped the weapon "rarity" system they had - From Greys straight to Purples. Trinkets took a bit longer (and why did they not have a "You already infused/own this" marker!) but I felt like I also leapfrogged straight to purples there. Oh, and type out numbers on things! How much "You take less damage"! What's the difference between the blue and purple! :argh:
It would've also been interesting if the game forced me to switch out my loadout - I feel I got into a set I just kept using towards the later half.

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I only just finished this myself. Got what I guess was the 'bad' ending with the loop not breaking but that was pretty unintentional on my part, particularly since Juliana makes it seem like if you don't end the loop you're about to go on some crazy adventures. Upgraded Shift and Nexus probably makes the game too easy, particularly with the latter when you can take out like 7 people in one go. As a result was surprised to see how easily the final loop went given CPU Juliana had handed my rear end to be multiple times before then.

Like everyone else I think it was a touch too shallow. And not to bang on about the party like plenty of others have done but I really thought it was going to be like a Hitman run or that place in FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS that's eating the guests. Instead it's all pretty surface level, with the appearance of flexibility when there isn't any. Granted, "make those tits slap" is a pretty catchy song mind.

I appreciate any story that you can sort of piece together yourself without huge lore dumps and there are times in this game that it works and others where it feels like a first draft that never got iterated on. I gather, generally, what's happened but it's odd to see a game so incurious about its own story. You'd think finding Pick for example might be a bit of a bigger deal, but Juliana is completely uninterested (as the game is given that until the recent update, there was no resolution to her story at all) that finding her just felt like a waste of time.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 14, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It was interesting because I played Deathloop and it was fundamentally unsatisfying, then I played The Forgotten City about a year later and was like "ok, this is exactly what I wanted out of this premise."

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh yeah Forgotten City is great, highly recommend. I think it’s on gamepass too?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Talorat posted:

Oh yeah Forgotten City is great, highly recommend. I think it’s on gamepass too?

Long gone, unfortunately.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

coiol posted:

Gave up on the multiplayer part after three in a row completely invisible people (both Juliannas and Colts) that I never saw a single time nor saw a single trace of until dying a few minutes later, not really that fun :confuoot: Maybe because I was coming in late and the only people still playing are more advanced?

I've encountered 3 player Jul's so far. One quit immediately, one rushed me and we shotgunned each other, one invaded me in the evening party after 5 hrs of me trying to advance the plot and figure poo poo out and was a perma-invis type who proceeded to wipe the floor with me. Immediately switched to single player.

Maybe if there was some sort of ELO where my rank 1, third loop rear end wasn't thrown against a pro

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New player here; on recommendation from the Steam thread, I turned off objective markers. I'm in the first loop, I think, because I'm in the Complex map and Cole won't let me leave until I do something about trying to shut off the controls. I've cleared out most enemies. I found the crank wheel, opened up the Residuum experiment with it, which locked me in and released some enemies. I took the now-uncharged experiment back to the lab, put it into the thing, but the button to start the experiment just buzzes. I poked around there for a bit and didn't see any indication what I needed to do. I tried seeing if I could redirect the laser, but my only method of interaction wrecked the things.

I kept exploring and looking for a way to advance, but didn't find one. I found some locked doors which want a code, but I don't have any. I don't want to turn the objective markers on, but at this point I'm stuck and could use a hint.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I kept exploring and looking for a way to advance, but didn't find one. I found some locked doors which want a code, but I don't have any. I don't want to turn the objective markers on, but at this point I'm stuck and could use a hint.

1) The Residuum experiment is on a timer, the quality of the trinket you get depends on how quickly you get it to the containment unit in the lab, and apparently, it can fizzle out entirely if you take too long. It's entirely optional.

2) To continue your objective, there's a film projector in the control room you need to turn on, which also serves as your introduction to batteries and how/where to recharge them.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Deathloop and both Dishonoreds have a couple of objectives that aren't clear and can't be sussed out by context clues. (In Dishonored 1, I specifically remember having to find a safe location to stash an unconscious body, and the game decided the only safe place was a dumpster.) I wouldn't worry about turning objective markers on for a minute if you get stuck.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hannibal Rex posted:

1) The Residuum experiment is on a timer, the quality of the trinket you get depends on how quickly you get it to the containment unit in the lab, and apparently, it can fizzle out entirely if you take too long. It's entirely optional.

Good to know. So, it's a race, and I need to be efficient, since the enemies have respawned, and I need to take the long way around.

Hannibal Rex posted:

2) To continue your objective, there's a film projector in the control room you need to turn on, which also serves as your introduction to batteries and how/where to recharge them.

:doh: Big lever in the middle of the room. I must have looked at everything in that room BUT that. Oh for the love of...

Thanks.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Good to know. So, it's a race, and I need to be efficient, since the enemies have respawned, and I need to take the long way around.

You can hack the closed exits and avoid the enemies. It's probably going to take too long if you fight.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Felt the need to necro this thread to tell the internet about how incredibly stupid I've just been. I started playing a couple of days ago, have played about 13 hours, killed a bunch of visionaries, beaten invaders on almost every single mission and got extra slabs, powerups, guns and residuum from them, unlocked a bunch of cool poo poo - except I never actually finished a day 'normally' by going back into the tunnels after night. I think I died once or twice in afternoon/night or just ticked it over or whatever. This time I just killed Egor, an invader, got a bunch more good stuff, and then when it came to infusing, I did what I did in the daytime - infused stuff and then sacrificed it and used the extra residuum to infuse the other stuff I wanted. Except I didn't realise that because the night time menu shows you everything you have, and not just the poo poo you have equipped that day, it would be permanently gone when I woke up the next day. gently caress.

edit: Now I'm reading about it it seems I totally misunderstood the system and I was already losing stuff permanently by sacrificing it whenever. I could have sworn that I sacrificed a few things like slab boons that I wasn't using that day and they came back the next day but clearly I was wrong. I'm probably confusing poo poo I dropped during missions with poo poo I sacrificed. Oh well the game throws enough poo poo at you that you can make do with whatever and I've just done another run to get Shift back, which feels necessary. Just the very first morning after the tutorial day I got invaded and killed my attacker and they had a pimped out machine gun which was then my trusty invader-murderer, RIP gun I was too stupid apparently to understand the mechanics

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 7, 2024

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lol drat. Thats impressive!

You always start with the stuff in Colt’s hideout (plain SMG, respawn slab, and… was double jump a standard or special edition item?) but then IIRC anything that you were holding when you exit the prologue by dying in Wenji’s machine is added to the permanent roster.

For some reason I can’t recall I don’t think there’s actually much you can get away with including via that method, but at the very least it gives you an extra double jump trinket every day (if you brought it) bc you have it on you when you wake up in addition to the one in Colt’s hideaway. So you’ll always start the day with that extra double jump trinket to sell… provided you have it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Game done, I wish there wasn't just one critical path through the game that's signposted like a Hitman mission story and you had a few different ways to approach it. The presentation is great it just doesn't feel like the concept was fully developed.

Now I'm playing some Julianna runs and again, I love the idea of the asymmetric cat and mouse game but what the gently caress potato modems are people using in 2024 jesus

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Butterfly Valley posted:

Game done, I wish there wasn't just one critical path through the game that's signposted like a Hitman mission story and you had a few different ways to approach it. The presentation is great it just doesn't feel like the concept was fully developed.

Now I'm playing some Julianna runs and again, I love the idea of the asymmetric cat and mouse game but what the gently caress potato modems are people using in 2024 jesus

My guess on this was just simply terrible netcode. I had a ton of connectivity/playability issues when I tried multiplayer in 2022 as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did like figuring out what the "correct" path to ending the loop was, even if I would have liked to have been able to get there in different ways. What I didn't like was - from memory at least - the game reaching a point where suddenly you get a voiceover saying,"Oh now I know what to do!" and laying out the exact steps you'd have to take. I already knew that, game, I just spent all this time figuring it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The first time I closed the loop I felt like the coolest person alive