Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Control Volume posted:

Does this game pwn?

It's Fisher-Price S.T.A.L.K.E.R. OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

it's o.k.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

One of my favorite aspects of deathloop so far is that Colt and Julianna both clearly have lost a lot of sanity from being stuck in the time loop for such a long time. Surprisingly realistic outcome.

And yeah the 0451 gag had me howling. That's how you subvert an expectation.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Control Volume posted:

Does this game pwn?

Great aesthetic, world building, level design, and voice acting but the enemies are very very easy (may be intentional) and the pvp invasions don’t really work

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

It's Fisher-Price S.T.A.L.K.E.R. OP

Lol ???

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

By the 0451 gag do you guys just mean the achievement or am I missing something? The cheevo was a cool Easter egg but I didn’t think it was laugh out loud funny

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

By the 0451 gag do you guys just mean the achievement or am I missing something? The cheevo was a cool Easter egg but I didn’t think it was laugh out loud funny

The hallway full of "you know the code!!" hallucinations/messages only for it not to be 0451 was why I was laughing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

You can set your loadout whenever you move to a new time of day, but eventually you'll also get the ability to carry over certain items to the next loop after the day resets (because normally you just lose it all). I also recommend trying to do that before getting too into exploration.

Cool, thanks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Countblanc posted:

After unlocking the ability to infuse things, how do you actually do it?

how do you redo the quest. it broke for me?

hot take. i think dishonored 1s high chaos ending is better or at least more fitting then low chaos happy ending.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not the kind of player who will do it myself but I'm interested to see how people sequence break this game apart. I can't tell yet whether they'll need to come up with clever methods to do it or whether there's just going to be one known solution after you beat the game that you could repeat. It's cleverly designed in that it teaches you ways to do things, by having you actually go do them at whatever time period, only to find out later that that method won't work because there's something else that has to be done in a different map during that time period. So there's a lot of deliberate content that isn't part of the final puzzle.

Like, you'll chase down clues for killing person A during the afternoon, but then you later find out that person B and C are both in another map at the same time during the Afternoon so you need to dedicate the Afternoon to taking them out, which means you're back to the drawing board for finding a way to kill person A.

I think that someone who's familiar with all of the game's tricks could clear it in a single loop because (as far as I know) all of the visionaries are doing their thing whether they're marked on your map or not - just because you don't have the leading clues telling you that Person B and C are together during the afternoon doesn't mean that they're not, and if you knew that person A needs to be killed at a different time you won't waste time going through the assassination plot during the afternoon the first time. Maybe they need to do another loop to get some codes or something but codes could always be brute-forced and so far I'm only aware of one code that actually changes between resets. Maybe two loops - one to get and infuse powers/weapons, then one for real. But knowing Arkane the system is probably a lot more complex and interesting than it appears on the surface so :shrug:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Where does 0451 come from? One of the trailers?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Alris posted:

Where does 0451 come from? One of the trailers?

https://www.polygon.com/22667576/deathloop-easter-egg-0451-arkane-looking-glass-studios

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is basically Outer Wilds but you shoot at and avoid cannon-fodder mooks while mod 60s jazz sound cues direct you around the island. The shooting and stealthing takes a back seat for sure. And sometimes you are invaded by a red phantom.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 15, 2021

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My biggest complaint is I actually really enjoyed Dishonoreds stealth and this doesn't feel like it rewards you for that or have tools to pull it off.

And it's a shame because while I love dishonored I dislike the forced morality choices from it. Having a loop where all consequences reset was a great idea.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol of course the enemies are dumb as pigshit they’re supposed to be debris loving colt up for the invader this is great

if you lobotomize julianna by turning off pvp you’re doing yourself a disservice

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My biggest complaint is I actually really enjoyed Dishonoreds stealth and this doesn't feel like it rewards you for that or have tools to pull it off.

And it's a shame because while I love dishonored I dislike the forced morality choices from it. Having a loop where all consequences reset was a great idea.

Honestly, I think Dishonored's story is better on a high or medium chaos run, so just ignore the morality system and do what you want.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Invading is very fun, people have heard of the supposed supremacy of melee and now sprint directly towards you while you fill them with shotgun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The multiplayer is probably way more fun playing friends-only. Every time I try public matchmaking people just play like it's a deathmatch game and charge headfirst in for melee kills. I just want to sneak around and outsmart each other damnit

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Liking it so far, not that far into it though. Big fan of dishonored. Love the dialogue, the style is something so many games goes for these days and fail miserably at, but this does it well.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

It feels like this game was specifically engineered to get immersive sim players to stop doing boring no kill/stealth runs and I love it

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

lol of course the enemies are dumb as pigshit they’re supposed to be debris loving colt up for the invader this is great

if you lobotomize julianna by turning off pvp you’re doing yourself a disservice

I set it to single player after I beat the game because I just wanted to check a few things and honestly the AI Julianna was way more threatening than every player that invaded me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The experience I've had invading in public games is that the Colt player immediately puts their game on mental pause and tries to push the fight to happen so they can get back to peacefully exploring whether they live or die. There should be an endless stream of Julianas, if you kill one another one should invade a few minutes later. She should be a constant looming threat instead of a one-time speedbump obstacle. That way the fight wouldn't be pressured to happen and you could take your time with mind games while the Colt player actually bothers with exploring and fighting NPCs and stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got Infusion and I do have the first part of the Julianna lead. That said, would it be too early to go after her leads at this point?

I am enjoying the game, but if nothing else Colt is a joy to play as.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Charles is such a tool :allears:

Love this to bits so far.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyone had luck invading while set to invisible on steam i usually keep my profile that way but it only seems to work if i go online and i can’t tell if it’s just matchmaking being finicky

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

deep dish peat moss posted:

The experience I've had invading in public games is that the Colt player immediately puts their game on mental pause and tries to push the fight to happen so they can get back to peacefully exploring whether they live or die. There should be an endless stream of Julianas, if you kill one another one should invade a few minutes later. She should be a constant looming threat instead of a one-time speedbump obstacle. That way the fight wouldn't be pressured to happen and you could take your time with mind games while the Colt player actually bothers with exploring and fighting NPCs and stuff.

Likewise, Julianna players have no idea how to deal with me completely ignoring them and sprinting/shifting through levels like a madwoman while I continue completing my goals first and they usually end up bumping straight into my shotgun and getting one-shot at point blank.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got Infusion and I do have the first part of the Julianna lead. That said, would it be too early to go after her leads at this point?

I am enjoying the game, but if nothing else Colt is a joy to play as.

You can and probably should go after the leads as early as you can so you can get your supply of Slabs.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've yet to be invaded and I've tried matchmaking for like 5 minutes but I'm not getting paired up. Is invasions busted right now?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nah it just takes a bit, I've gone through a few invasions today

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

anyone had luck invading while set to invisible on steam i usually keep my profile that way but it only seems to work if i go online and i can’t tell if it’s just matchmaking being finicky

yeah update it just takes forever to matchmake right now, servers are probably getting hammered

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Are you guys getting non-laggy invasions? I quit trying after three in a row were just a slideshow

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dangit crashed from an out of alotted video memory error (which is on me i guess) right when i was about to kill a colt for the 3rd time

MMF Freeway posted:

Are you guys getting non-laggy invasions? I quit trying after three in a row were just a slideshow
some have been worse than others for sure, i think everyone and their grandma is trying out the multiplayer

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lmao, since Juliana can only invade right at the start of a map, the new cool thing for Colt players to do is just immediately turn around and leave the map when they get invaded. Sure is fun waiting through a 10 minute queue just to get a "you lose" screen right when you load into the map.

This just happened to me twice in a row :doh:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I'm enjoying this game.

The Hitman comparisons are about the fact you replay and learn the levels - thats about the only hitman relevance i can see. Otherwise is dishonored, but the storyline is great, the voice acting is fantastic, and the mystery keeps me scratching my head. I like that when you die you don't really lose anything, because the most important thing to collect is information which stays with you.

Its a good time. I'm on PC, and not having any performance issues. My internet connection is crap at the moment, so i have turned off player invasions for the time being. But I'm looking forward to getting trolled when i fix it and turn it back on.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol at 0451

Arkane is the best.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol at 0451

Arkane is the best.

"You know the code."

I thought that's what they meant. :blush:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm having a great time now that the tutorials are over and the game's opened up, but I'm still kind of confused about all of the systems right now. I'm also kind of checked out on the story because it's seriously a shotgun blast of character names and exposition and audio logs playing on top of other voices talking near you and it just feels like a lot to take in at the very beginning while also trying to figure out these weird rear end mechanics. There is no time limit but I still feel a sense of urgency to go do the thing I'm there to do and not take in the rich lore, so I find myself hurriedly looking over surfaces for clues to pick up and keep running and gunning. Oh yeah I killed my first intruder with the machete on my last life after running out of ammo for everything and it was exhilarating. Wasn't laggy at all for me, I can understand turning it off if the performance sucks but it was kind of a rush!

This is definitely a weird loving game but I think that's why I like it so much? I do hope there's some decent support post launch because they can absolutely polish this into a real gem.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

lmao, since Juliana can only invade right at the start of a map, the new cool thing for Colt players to do is just immediately turn around and leave the map when they get invaded. Sure is fun waiting through a 10 minute queue just to get a "you lose" screen right when you load into the map.

This just happened to me twice in a row :doh:

What’s even the point of having pvp on if they’re gonna do this?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought a Colt player had to at least accomplish their objective before they could leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought a Colt player had to at least accomplish their objective before they could leave.

You can swap objectives on the fly, is it possible to simply untrack objectives (which I think tracks the exit)?