Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fedule posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/12/deathloop-update-includes-new-accessibility-options-photo-mode-and-more/

Fairly chonky suite of accessibility features and photo mode, launching today. Feels a little too late to be frank, but it's still nice to see.
I can't believe you didn't even highlight that there are also some new PS5 avatars. Deathloop is finally the game it was always meant to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The PC version also got AMDs new FSR2 upscaler though that's more of a technical curiosity if you've already played the game

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What really kept me from going back to Deathloop is that it is(was?) impossible to start a fresh game without also losing all your progress, as it had no way to save multiple playthroughs in parallel. Has that changed?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hannibal Rex posted:

What really kept me from going back to Deathloop is that it is(was?) impossible to start a fresh game without also losing all your progress, as it had no way to save multiple playthroughs in parallel. Has that changed?

I don't think so. I just picked it up on the GMG sale last night and have started going through it - doesn't appear to be any way to save multiple playthroughs simultaneously. Rad game, but goddamn does it suck getting invaded by an actual person while you're on a map for the first time. I'm not even sure where I got killed from a couple times, turned it off for now but will probably turn it back on shortly now that I at least have some feel for the lay of the land.

It feels like a Dishonored/Bioshock crossover and that isn't a bad thing.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The invasion aspect is conceptually very cool but I dislike how the invader is tasked with literally ruining your day. Your only goal is to kill your victim three times in a row, robbing them of items/currency and any story progression for that loop day. Compare this to Dark Souls, where across multiple playthroughs of the trilogy I can think of only one case where I lost a lot of souls due to a red phantom invader. The vast majority of times you just spend 1-5 minutes grabbing your dropped souls and move on, especially if you choose to fight in a location where corpse retrieval is simple.

The consequences of Deathloop’s invasions are just way harsher than they need to be. I can’t get into playing as Julianna because it makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Counterpoint: Bad Dads deserve bad times.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Magitek posted:

The invasion aspect is conceptually very cool but I dislike how the invader is tasked with literally ruining your day. Your only goal is to kill your victim three times in a row, robbing them of items/currency and any story progression for that loop day. Compare this to Dark Souls, where across multiple playthroughs of the trilogy I can think of only one case where I lost a lot of souls due to a red phantom invader. The vast majority of times you just spend 1-5 minutes grabbing your dropped souls and move on, especially if you choose to fight in a location where corpse retrieval is simple.

The consequences of Deathloop’s invasions are just way harsher than they need to be. I can’t get into playing as Julianna because it makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Anyone you invade has invasions turned on by choice. They are literally asking for it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also, all things being equal, Colt has the advantage in a slugfest, if just for having three tries. Play aggressive but don’t let the Julianvader use their most useful tricks —- namely, huge summons potential at LARP Castle #1 (Charlie’s zone, noon) and LARP Castle #2 (Aleksis’s party) — and they will crumble. Trying to turtle in a starting area will make you a soft target if they happened to roll a decent shotgun / karnesis / health buff trinket on level up. Hunt the hunter.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

After playing hundreds of games as Julia, I never lost as Colt. I would just bait them with some bits of info and take them out.

Proxy mines are the best. 2 at once is a 100% kill.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I just literally rushed them with the machete, works every time.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Magitek posted:

Bringing you a few slabs or upgrades and nice weapons is a lot bigger reward for beating Juliana than you get for a dark souls invasion too though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dyz posted:

I just literally rushed them with the machete, works every time.

Similarly, just used the buff rune and rushed them down with the rapid fire shotgun, you can kill them before they kill you in a DPS race and they can't really outrun you if you stay close, plus it makes them panic most of the time

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, which is why every smart Julianna will bring a rapid-fire slowing weapon and/or the throw slab to counter that exact situation. It is still annoyingly effective, especially if you use the grace period after a death to close the distance and immediately rush Julianna after respawning and you have 3 tries at it anyways, so it can still work even if Julianna has her whole kit based around countering it. :v:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s still so viscerally satisfying to get a machete assassination on a player target who’s trying to be stealthy

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/deathloop/status/1570427981348102145?t=UobhjKvlvWO5TyNbCptjdQ&s=19

Game Pass and free content update incoming.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I read that part of the update is all-platform crossplay? That's really good news for multiplayer longevity. Man I wish there was PC/PS5 crossplay at launch.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://bethesda.net/en/article/E1GQNUk9ARha3zDoIkuTM/deathloops-free-goldenloop-update-new-ability-weapon-crossplay-and-much-more

quote:

DEATHLOOP’s latest update is almost here and it’s bringing a lot of new goodies for you to enjoy, from a new weapon and ability to a new enemy and more, plus a new console to experience the award-winning game on.
That’s right, on September 20, DEATHLOOP is coming to Xbox Series X|S. Discover everything the GOLDENLOOP Update has to offer below, including details on the Xbox launch.

NEW PLATFORMS & CROSSPLAY
In addition to adding a host of new features to the game, the GOLDENLOOP Update brings DEATHLOOP to brand new platforms! With this update, you’ll be able to play on Xbox Series X|S. And if you’re a PlayStation Plus (Extra or Premium) or Game Pass member, you’ll be able to play all of DEATHLOOP (including the new GOLDENLOOP Update features) for free on day one.

The GOLDENLOOP Update also introduces crossplay for PvP matchmaking across PSN, Xbox, Steam, Epic and the Microsoft Store environments. You can set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking setting to Any (all platforms) or Same (just your platform), and you can also set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking controller to Any (all controller types) or Same (just the one you’re using).

Xbox console and PC versions will also feature cross-purchase and cross-save, so if you purchase DEATHLOOP through the Microsoft Store on either Xbox or PC, you’ll be able to play it on your other Microsoft platforms and pick up right where you left off.

NEW ABILITY: FUGUE
Blackreef is an eternal party, and what’s an eternal party without a little intoxication? The new Fugue ability is a projectile that slows and confuses your target, briefly rendering them harmless (and tipsy). The Fugue ability also includes four discoverable upgrades:
  • Coda: Extended duration
  • Earworm: Cast a Fugue “mine” on a surface
  • Discord: Target becomes hostile toward its allies
  • Syncopation: On target’s death, Fugue affects nearby enemies
Just imagine the damage you could do with the combination of Discord and Syncopation. Now that’s Colt’s kind of party.

You’ll have to do a little digging to find out how you can nab the Fugue Slab. Maybe check out Karl’s Bay in the afternoon? You may find a new mystery to unravel.

NEW WEAPON: HALPS PROTOTYPE
The Visionary Wenjie has a new treat for you. The HALPS Prototype is a new energy-based rifle that fires a continuous laser-like beam, allowing you to rip through your enemies with precision. Fire the beam at a turret or security camera to refract the beam and hit your foes with bank shots.

NEW ENEMY: PAINT-BOMBER
If you thought the other Eternalists were off their rockers, just wait until you meet the Paint-Bomber. These new NPCs are taking their creative flair to a new level, strapping themselves with a bandolier of paint-filled explosives that they’re all too happy to ignite while they sprint your way. Don’t let them get too close or they’ll take you down in a blaze of glory with them and turn you into another paint smear on the island of Blackreef’s colorful streets.

NEW ABILITY UPGRADES: FOUR NEW UPGRADES FOR JULIANNA’S MASQUERADE ABILITY
Previously Julianna’s unique ability Masquerade was the only ability in the game without its own upgrades, but no longer. With the GOLDENLOOP Update, you’ll have four possible upgrade options:
  • Ensemble: Target up to three NPCs with Masquerade
  • Mend: Regenerate health while using Masquerade on an NPC
  • Expose: When an NPC affected by Masquerade dies or spots Colt, Colt is automatically tagged
  • Incognito: Damage taken while using Masquerade is converted to Energy
NEW 2-IN-1 TRINKETS
19 new trinkets have been added to DEATHLOOP, but these trinkets aren’t like the ones you’re used to. These 2-in-1 trinkets all combine the abilities of two existing trinkets. Take the new ‘Wrecking Ball’ trinket, for example, which fuses the existing ‘Sprinter’ (move faster) and ‘Unstoppable Force’ (damage an enemy by sprinting into them) trinkets. Or ‘Rolling In It’, which is a blend of ‘Deep Pockets’ (carry more ammo) and ‘Stab N Grab’ (receive ammo from melee kills). Snag one of these dual-purpose trinkets to free up some space in your gear for new trinket possibilities.

AND NEW SECRETS…
… Including an extended ending for the game and other surprises. But what would be the fun in spoiling them for you? You’ll just have to play through DEATHLOOP to see what else the GOLDENLOOP Update has in store for you.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ErrEff posted:

you can also set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking controller to Any (all controller types) or Same (just the one you’re using).

Oh hell yes. Every game with PC/console crossplay should have this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
GOLDENLOOP Expansion sounds like something for a jrpg lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

new deets added to the OP. have fun y'all. looking forward to checking out the new patch and crossplay

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Huh, I never did finish this game. Should probably do that, and get into the multiplayer finally!

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Wow, there's a new ending if you break the loop. And for me, it gives me more questions than answers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenasscity posted:

Wow, there's a new ending if you break the loop. And for me, it gives me more questions than answers.

What is it?

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

https://www.ign.com/videos/deathloop-new-golden-loop-extended-ending

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I have to say if they were to do dlc for this game I’d rather they do something that adds more reactivity and content for the main loop. You can tell they were stretched thin for this one with all the loose ends and unfinished feeling content and if they were to do a new location or a mini campaign I think it’d have the same issue.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

woo, 4 minutes of filler that doesn't really add anything

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
New Ending Chat:

In short, I actually really liked it. No, it doesn't add that much but the 20 second long break-the-loop ending was pretty bad on launch and at least this ending gives breaking the loop a bit of the breathing room the concept needed and has a last look in on the Visionaries. Some of the small details are pretty good too, like Pick Rexly (the NPC in the well-hidden side quest that also knows they're looping and wants out) leaving with Colt and the others.

And of course it's loving fantastic that the first thing Colt apparently does is go back and get 2-bit :3:

If this had been the ending the game launched with I would have been pretty happy with it.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
It doesn't seem like enough content to bring players back. My biggest critique of the game is that there wasn't enough of it, especially after going back to Prey.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SpaceAceJase posted:

It doesn't seem like enough content to bring players back. My biggest critique of the game is that there wasn't enough of it, especially after going back to Prey.

Maybe this weekend? I wouldn't expect Steam numbers to jump too much, but it was only now released on Xbox - I was hoping to try out playing as Julianna, since I didn't get the game until well after launch (and the Steam numbers had already dropped).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I expect that Gamepass will give multiplayer a pretty significant boost.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Post-patch and my game will not stop stuttering. It ran just fine before the patch, and the PC is enough to handle it (5800x3D, 3080), but after ~3 minutes in level, it grinds to an unplayable slideshow. I've updated drivers and rebooted, but it looks like there's no way around it so far. Not great.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

George RR Fartin posted:

Post-patch and my game will not stop stuttering. It ran just fine before the patch, and the PC is enough to handle it (5800x3D, 3080), but after ~3 minutes in level, it grinds to an unplayable slideshow. I've updated drivers and rebooted, but it looks like there's no way around it so far. Not great.

Multiplayer or single? Doing an invasion and yeah, stuttering like crazy.

Edit: Unplayable as Julianna right now, at least for me. Teleporting everywhere, can't interact with objects/heal...I'm hoping it's just a crossplay problem between Xbox and Steam, we'll see.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 22, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meiteron posted:

New Ending Chat:

In short, I actually really liked it. No, it doesn't add that much but the 20 second long break-the-loop ending was pretty bad on launch and at least this ending gives breaking the loop a bit of the breathing room the concept needed and has a last look in on the Visionaries. Some of the small details are pretty good too, like Pick Rexly (the NPC in the well-hidden side quest that also knows they're looping and wants out) leaving with Colt and the others.

And of course it's loving fantastic that the first thing Colt apparently does is go back and get 2-bit :3:

If this had been the ending the game launched with I would have been pretty happy with it.

I wish this had been the ending from the start, I guess originally they wanted the hook of what happens next? but it did feel kind of lovely not seeing how everybody else reacted to the loop ending, particularly since for most of them they think they woke up from all that prep work only to discover the loop ended before the first day even really started. Mostly though I'm just glad to see 2-Bit got saved and Pick got to see her wish come true :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone you invade has invasions turned on by choice. They are literally asking for it.

Its on by default. Mine was after the first day and i'm a new player.

I'm not really as enthralled as i thought i'd be though. Tried an invasion too and i'm basically teleporting in place.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

dogstile posted:

I'm not really as enthralled as i thought i'd be though. Tried an invasion too and i'm basically teleporting in place.

This is my one gripe with the start of the game. They turn on invasions from human players before you get the item that lets you keep stuff between loops.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I wish this had been the ending from the start, I guess originally they wanted the hook of what happens next? but it did feel kind of lovely not seeing how everybody else reacted to the loop ending, particularly since for most of them they think they woke up from all that prep work only to discover the loop ended before the first day even really started. Mostly though I'm just glad to see 2-Bit got saved and Pick got to see her wish come true :)

I can't really see any reason as to why it wasn't the original ending, I understand that time and budgeting are things but it just adds to the prevailing nagging feel a few of us have that the launch game was a little half-baked

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

dogstile posted:

This. I wouldn't think netcode for a 2 person game would be that difficult these days but drat. Then again, it's the first time Arkane has ever done multiplayer - does not bode well for Redfall though.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Multiplayer or single? Doing an invasion and yeah, stuttering like crazy.

Edit: Unplayable as Julianna right now, at least for me. Teleporting everywhere, can't interact with objects/heal...I'm hoping it's just a crossplay problem between Xbox and Steam, we'll see.

This is in single player mode. It's smooth for a little while, then just becomes slideshow city before going to seconds-per-frame. I closed out all other apps (and didn't reopen them on reboot) and it made no difference. Drivers are up to date, etc...

Maybe they'll do some sort of patch or something, it's just real annoying because it worked fine before.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

George RR Fartin posted:

This is in single player mode. It's smooth for a little while, then just becomes slideshow city before going to seconds-per-frame. I closed out all other apps (and didn't reopen them on reboot) and it made no difference. Drivers are up to date, etc...

Maybe they'll do some sort of patch or something, it's just real annoying because it worked fine before.

Are you keeping an eye on VRAM? Things running smoothly for a bit and then getting extremely choppy sounds like VRAM thrashing. It shouldn't have to be your problem to fix but maybe the update is bumping against your GPU's VRAM capacity. GPU util below max when FPS is chugging would be the other clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

acksplode posted:

Are you keeping an eye on VRAM? Things running smoothly for a bit and then getting extremely choppy sounds like VRAM thrashing. It shouldn't have to be your problem to fix but maybe the update is bumping against your GPU's VRAM capacity. GPU util below max when FPS is chugging would be the other clue.

I cleared out the VRAM cache at lunch, but haven't had the chance to check to see if it worked. A buddy's theory is that maybe the shader cache got screwed up, since that has happened in other games.

EDIT: and it's a 3080, I wouldn't expect to be brushing up against the limit - I'm running at 1080p.

EDIT 2 and closure: The VRAM cache helped a bit, but ten minutes in and it was a slideshow again. I noticed my second monitor had gotten choppy as well (I was using Wallpaper Engine, and the smooth animation was not so much), so I quit Wallpaper Engine and everything went right back to normal. This is the first time that's been a conflict with anything, but it's a simple fix at least.

Incidentally, the VRAM usage meter kept flickering between total sizes, IE: it would show something like 8800 then jump to 8900 and back really quickly It feels like a weird thing to have it keep track in real-time of my available VRAM, but I'd expect if the on-card chips were failing, I'd see more issues than a number flickering about, right? Anyone else see this in their graphics settings?

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 23, 2022