Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Well I was somewhat excited about this game until I watched this video. That looks extremely floaty, shallow, and lifeless. Big fan of how you're apparently permanently invisible to enemies even when you're standing 5 feet in front of them or beheading their friends right next to them :confused: Hopefully the main characters have some actual personality in the full game at least.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm very interested in this game even though I said an early gameplay video looked bad early on in the thread. Does the game have an actual strict real-time schedule that you have to adhere to in your runs or is it the progression of time more of just a narrative thing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I completed my first post-intro loop, game is fun especially now that I'm getting Dishonored powers. Maybe the difficulty increases in later loops but so far the AI is BAD. You can clear entire rooms by just headshotting someone with the nailgun, which makes them run one by one through whatever doorway you shot through and they give you way more than enough time to fully charge the nailgun and headshot each of them as they run through. The Juliana invasion AI seems similarly bad.

I get the feeling that this is primarily intended to be a 1v1 competitive game with a human Juliana hunting you. The visionaries and Eternalists exist as cannon fodder for you to work through and flex your stylish kills on while being hunted but unless something majorly changes later, they're pretty much mindless zombies who are absurdly nearsighted. I'm going to try invading for a while next and see what it's like.

e: I have a 3070 and was getting stuttering until I updated my drivers, but I assume anyone else with the same problem has already tried that since you get a popup when you launch the game telling you to update your drivers :v:

e2: For what it's worth I very recently played through Dishonored 2 and the AI is similar there - my strategy of "crouch behind cover in a corner and snipe everyone with a silent gun" from D2 works just as well in this and that's probably why I'm finding it easy

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ugh, this game's answer to going in guns blazing is to spawn large groups of enemies out of thin air and they can spawn literally right on top of you. I just went hot into the library, stood in the small foyer room and cleared the entire place with a grenade and a few shots. Then a group of 10ish enemies popped into existence a couple feet in front of me, models all clipping into each other because the room was too small to hold them :(

I appreciate that when you die and get limited resurrected in-run, when you respawn the enemies have blocked off whatever route you took in before.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The invasion mechanic is a great idea but the implementation is Very Bad. I didn't run into any lag, but one-hit-kill melee attacks mean that's the only strategy anyone uses. There's not a cool cat-and-mouse hunting game like I expected/hoped for, it's just waiting at a chokepoint and pressing F when they round the corner.

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, I don't know if tougher enemies show up later or what but these people are in absolutely dire need of some drat helmets. Even if the enemies hit harder it doesn't matter when you can just waltz through the level plinking each of them with one silenced bullet.

My favorite part is how all bodies instantly disappear, just leaving behind a tiny shadow that other enemies have to look directly at to see. That means if you see 2, 3, hell even 5-7 enemies all standing together and you can get behind them or to the side, you can just headshot them from back to front without any of them becoming alerted.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They make that HL2 Combine Dying radio ping sound for me as well, but it has never alerted anyone else. I've been using the nailgun exclusively which is silenced, so maybe it's the gunshot sound alerting them?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Now that thew game is actually out, has anyone made a review that specifically talks about whatever systemic (non-scripted) interactions beyond "press button to kill man" there are in this game?
Because I'm gonna be honest, the whole "it's an FPS Hitman" sounds like a complete rear end pull based on what I've seen, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

So far there's not any. There are very few immersive sim elements, the only loot to scrounge for is ammo, health, or clues.

I'm being very negative about the game but there are good parts too. Like, despite all of the bad things I've said it is fun to play if you like high-chaos in Dishonored and for all we know things can get much more dire after killing a few visionaries. I think I would like it more without the multiplayer but thankfully that can be disabled.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No I used the nail gun for a long time as well until I got a silenced pistol, but it definitely alerted people. Maybe that was changed or broke in the day 1 patch or something?

Or maybe I'm just crazy. But I could swear.

ok I've been playing some more and it seems like sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I suspect it has more to do with the dead person dying in their field of view

In this screenshot for example, one of the visionaries is giving a speech (censored to prevent spoilers) in this room. This room is full of enemies. I just shot one with the nailgun where the red circle is. You can see two enemies in the screenshot, there are another 2 directly beneath the ledge here. Notably, the visionary and about 3 other NPCs are staring directly at the enemy I killed, from the same distance that I am - they're just on the other side of a door from me. None of them reacted to that sound.

Also once enemies are alerted and searching for you (but not engaged with you), you can freely pick them off with the nailgun and they don't become alerted to your presence unless they physically see you - if you shoot one that's trailing another and that sound gets made, the leading one doesn't turn around to look or anything.

But this is the same as how guards behaved in Dishonored 2 so :shrug: You could do the same thing there with the crossbow. Dishonored had high chaos to prevent you from doing this (or at least make the game harder for you if you did) so I'm expecting this game to have something similar if I just gun down a bunch of visionaries or mooks.

It's also super easy to stealth past 90% of the enemies.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you go to Karl's Wharf (in the morning?) there's an audio log that involves some eternalists talking about opening a breach and then killing anything that comes out

It may just be regarding timeline clones like we see from the very beginning but the way it was worded ("anything" and the rest of the context of the message) it sounded like it might be hinting at some kind of extradimensional/alien beings to fight.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I killed Frank in the morning and got a pretty rad unique weapon

(sorry for the bad aa I took the screenshot at 4k and resized it)

You also get a buttload of trinkets and mods from visionaries. One of the trinkets I got makes enemy accuracy even worse by making them never aim at your head :v:

So far no marked increase in difficulty (with just one visionary down). It was very easy to work my way through his house but it was fun. There are dozens of hackable/portable turrets everywhere inside so I just leapfrogged like 4 of those around to clear out rooms for me.

It seems to me like rather than killing them at first, you will need to do something to interfere with them which will later group them up? I don't know - at least it's starting to feel like maybe the reason it feels so easy is because I'm still doing it wrong.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you go to Karl's Wharf (in the morning?) there's an audio log that involves some eternalists talking about opening a breach and then killing anything that comes out

It may just be regarding timeline clones like we see from the very beginning but the way it was worded ("anything" and the rest of the context of the message) it sounded like it might be hinting at some kind of extradimensional/alien beings to fight.

I am pretty certain by now that this doesn't happen in-game, but there's more evidence of it happening in-universe as spotted here. DLC maybe?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

is there anything I can do with Residium besides infuse equipment to save it between runs?
Do I keep the saved guns after I die in the next run?
Do I have to go back to Wenjie's lab to infuse new stuff? (nevermind these last two were answered in-game shortly afterward, you can infuse from the between-missions loadout screen. And they do remain infused in future runs.)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay yeah the alarm sound that plays when an enemy dies definitely does not alert other enemies, here's another example

Killed her friend 3 feet behind her, she's covered in his blood - and not alerted.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks to Juliana invading while I was fighting a visionary, I ended up with two slabs, a purple nailgun that adds a DoT so even non-headshots are fatal, and a purple Fourpounder whose bullets explode into toxic aoe clouds that kill everything. And also enough Residium to infuse 3 of my 4 treasures so far.

I've played about ~8 hours so far and here are some more longform thoughts on the game's difficulty.

If you've been reading this thread or about this game in general you're aware of the discussion around its difficulty. In short, the gunplay, combat, and enemy AI are absurdly easy - like, completely non-challenging. As an example, enemies have no idea how to handle being sniped, it's extremely easy for you to just tuck yourself in some hidden corner of a room (above ground level) and snipe everyone with a silenced pistol, they are unlikely to find you and if they do find you it takes them a very long time to recognize you and start shooting.

At first I was very put off by this, but the more I've played the more I feel like it's intentional - the combat, and the Eternalists, are not supposed to be a challenge for you. They are not supposed to make it hard to progress through loops or bar your progress.

One of the main challenges is intended to be player-controlled Juliana and I think that's a neat concept, but I admit I turned off multiplayer after my first ~5 invasions (3 as an invader, 2 as an invadee). My problem with it is that you can just press F to instakill melee attack each other in multiplayer, same as with random mooks. Guns are relatively non-damaging (except headshots) and there's enough cover and mobility in this game to make them a poor deterrent against a human player, so all 5 of my invasions were all about instakill melee attacks and it totally killed the fun for me.

The other, and more interesting, main challenge is unravelling the loop. This is where it gets interesting - despite combat being so easy, you need to be smarter than just killing things to progress. One example is that there's an NPC that I need to do something at a later point in the day - the problem is that he dies (without player involvement) in the morning. He hangs out with one of the visionaries that morning and if you go in guns blazing to kill the visionary, you'll kill him too (because he's one of the mook guards). So now I need to find a way to get in, stop him from dying, and preserve him into later in the loop, and also to figure out whether I should kill that visionary or not while I do it, and several other puzzles regarding the same encounter.

I am not far enough progression-wise to know how this holds up throughout the game, but framing this game more as a puzzle game about understanding and breaking the loop where puzzle-solving consists of FPS gameplay, than as an FPS about a time loop (because the FPS bits are laughably non-challenging and not "gamey" on their own) has really increased my enjoyment of it.

There's a time loop movie on Netflix called ARQ and if you've seen that - this game is surprisingly similar in theme and concept and execution . Yes, killing the bad guy is easy, but it always turns out to be about more than killing the bad guy, and you might achieve "victory" in one loop only to learn new information that turns what felt like victory into a loss as you realize you need to do it again, differently.

So far I haven't seen enemies get more difficult as visionaries die, but they do start carrying stronger guns and therefore doing more damage if they shoot you. I don't think anyone should go into this game if what they want is a challenging stealth action shooter, but just because the shooting isn't challenging doesn't mean it's not cerebrally challenging from a puzzle-solving perspective and that it's not engaging to interact with and figure out. Just be aware of what you're buying I guess and maybe wait a few days to see how people feel after beating the game :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fadam posted:

Do you ever unlock a map that shows your location and where all the exits/objectives are?

Not that I know of, but whenever you overhear/read a clue it will be added as a lead in your journal (press J on pc) and you can 'track' a lead to see a compass marker and distance. You can track exits as well somehow, I think maybe by just not having any tracked leads.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think the weak combat is a bigger hamper if you play slowly like in other immersive sims and try to explore everything all at once. If you try to explore everything and be super cautious, the pacing is whack because there are no interesting combat encounters to shake up the monotony of slow-crawl exploration and the enemies aren't dangerous enough to create any tension (also there's not much in the way of non-mechanical reward for exploration), then you're just going to be re-exploring the same places in future loops. You're going to be revisiting each area so many times that I decided to throw caution into the wind and do minimal exploration each loop - doing a quick scan for readable notes, but focused on chasing leads and leaving large swaths of each map to be explored later. It feels better as a fast-paced game than a slow exploration-focused game.

Eternalists are like Goombas in a Mario game - how often does a Goomba actually kill you? Despite not being threatening, they're part of the environmental puzzle and they serve their purpose. One of the purposes the enemies in Deathloop serve is reinforcing the theme that despite this being a game about non-stop violence and killing, violence doesn't solve anything in a time loop. Also if the enemies were dangerous enough to be ending my runs this game would probably take me forever to beat :sweatdrop:

That being said I 100% agree that stronger combat, or especially a separate mode with stronger and more focused combat and a multiplayer casual-competitive focus would be incredible. With as complex as the loop-solving seems from this early perspective I don't think I'll want to go through it all a second time, but I love the idea of intense single-mission asynchronous pvp cat and mouse sniper/trap/stealth battles in the context of a stealth action game and that's what I was really hoping for out of Deathloop. I'm disappointed that I didn't get that, but I don't think I'm disappointed in what I did get (still too early to be sure).

e: I read some interview with one of the level designers for mario games once where they talked about the value of non-challenging enemy encounters like Goombas and how an enemy doesn't need to be difficult to defeat to be a fun challenge, it can be a fun challenge through things like making the player change their pace, creating a hurdle to consider while solving a different problem, or even giving the player an easy challenge to overcome as a reward for overcoming previous more difficult challenges. I don't think Deathloop's enemies quite nail what they're going for on the first two points but they work best when viewed in the context of Goombas and other non-challenging enemies. They are there to facilitate gameplay and be an interim objective, but they're not the gameplay in and of themselves.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Oh and I've noticed, and I dunno if this is a bug or not but if I start hacking and then slide back into cover with the button held down I seem to safely finish the hack even though the ui doesn't show it's progress.

I think this is intentional. There's a line of green dots across the bottom of the hackamajig that shows your hacking progress that you can use to track it when out of LoS. If you had to stay in LoS hacking turrets would be very hard but then again maybe that would be a good thing :v:

Bardeh posted:

Well drat, going to Karl's Bay in the morning tanks my framerate down to the low 30's despite everywhere else I've been in the game until now being a solid 60. It's completely unplayable like that, with the framerate going to poo poo if I look towards the middle of the map. :sigh:

I had the same problem but updating my video drivers fixed it. I had very outdated drivers (so outdated that the game warned me via popup when I first launched it) so I keep mentioning this in case someone else didn't get a popup but still needs to update

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not the kind of player who will do it myself but I'm interested to see how people sequence break this game apart. I can't tell yet whether they'll need to come up with clever methods to do it or whether there's just going to be one known solution after you beat the game that you could repeat. It's cleverly designed in that it teaches you ways to do things, by having you actually go do them at whatever time period, only to find out later that that method won't work because there's something else that has to be done in a different map during that time period. So there's a lot of deliberate content that isn't part of the final puzzle.

Like, you'll chase down clues for killing person A during the afternoon, but then you later find out that person B and C are both in another map at the same time during the Afternoon so you need to dedicate the Afternoon to taking them out, which means you're back to the drawing board for finding a way to kill person A.

I think that someone who's familiar with all of the game's tricks could clear it in a single loop because (as far as I know) all of the visionaries are doing their thing whether they're marked on your map or not - just because you don't have the leading clues telling you that Person B and C are together during the afternoon doesn't mean that they're not, and if you knew that person A needs to be killed at a different time you won't waste time going through the assassination plot during the afternoon the first time. Maybe they need to do another loop to get some codes or something but codes could always be brute-forced and so far I'm only aware of one code that actually changes between resets. Maybe two loops - one to get and infuse powers/weapons, then one for real. But knowing Arkane the system is probably a lot more complex and interesting than it appears on the surface so :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is basically Outer Wilds but you shoot at and avoid cannon-fodder mooks while mod 60s jazz sound cues direct you around the island. The shooting and stealthing takes a back seat for sure. And sometimes you are invaded by a red phantom.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The multiplayer is probably way more fun playing friends-only. Every time I try public matchmaking people just play like it's a deathmatch game and charge headfirst in for melee kills. I just want to sneak around and outsmart each other damnit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The experience I've had invading in public games is that the Colt player immediately puts their game on mental pause and tries to push the fight to happen so they can get back to peacefully exploring whether they live or die. There should be an endless stream of Julianas, if you kill one another one should invade a few minutes later. She should be a constant looming threat instead of a one-time speedbump obstacle. That way the fight wouldn't be pressured to happen and you could take your time with mind games while the Colt player actually bothers with exploring and fighting NPCs and stuff.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lmao, since Juliana can only invade right at the start of a map, the new cool thing for Colt players to do is just immediately turn around and leave the map when they get invaded. Sure is fun waiting through a 10 minute queue just to get a "you lose" screen right when you load into the map.

This just happened to me twice in a row :doh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have no idea how it happened but both times I was alt tabbed and tabbing back in every 30-60 seconds or so to see if I had made it through matchmaking. I tabbed in to a loading screen and then as soon as loading was done I was at a screen saying that Colt escaped through the tunnels :shrug:

If I remember right from being invaded though there is a pretty long delay between when you get the message that Juliana is invading and when she appears/the antenna spawns.

edit: It might just be the message that shows up if they alt-f4?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Also when playing as Julianna I just could not loving find Colt anywhere. I'd hear some distant gunshots which was the only indicator he wasn't afk. I'm pretty sure I was locked out of whatever part of the map he was actually on because I checked everywhere for 15+ minutes and there was no indication he'd been anywhere on the map. I ended up winning because he died to something in game but it was very dull.

Yeah, from what I can tell the little compass pip showing you where he's been seen only happens when enemies are fully aware of his presence, not in their cautious yellow state searching for anything suspicious but their red state where they are shooting at him. So if someone just stays hidden while shooting the enemies (very easy) you don't get an alert.

You start with a trinket that turns your charges from explosives into tracking devices that tag him if he sets them off. I've found it helpful choosing a few obvious approaches to the antenna and throwing proxy sensors around it.

The long matchmaking is killing invading for me because of stuff like being unable to find Colt and the lag. I've mostly been able to work around the melee stuff by only carrying long distance weapons so I'm not tempted to get close. It just sucks to wait so long to a match, then wait so long to find Colt, then getting assassinated and it's over :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Still don't have this gas pistol I keep hearing about. Random drop or did I miss it somewhere?

From what I can tell, purple and yellow weapons have random modifiers (or at least a random choice out of a small selection for that weapon), I got the poison gas on a purple Fourpounder but check all of the purple weapons you see and you'll find one eventually

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you visit Updaam in the morning there's a timer on the front of the library that ticks down from around 10-15 minutes. Does anyone know what that timer is for?

Also, I'm very impressed with this game's hitboxes for things like grated fences - you can actually shoot through every tiny little hole in a fence or whatever!

edit: I waited for the timer. Once it reaches 0 it turns green then the goons outside the library head inside and the laser grid security stuff inside gets turned off.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

God drat AI Juliana is way more threatening and fun to fight than human Juliana. She knows where you are and she hunts you. That alone makes her a much more interesting opponent than human Juliana who has no way to find you except run around and react to enemies if you happen to be spotted or to camp at an objective.

explosivo posted:

The AI is for sure dumb as rocks but I'm not getting the "this game is easy" complaints at all so far. I assume once I level up my abilities and get better guns it'll get easier but at the start when you have nothing but one or two unupgraded abilities these first couple runs are pretty tough. Maybe I'm bad at games but "just wait in a corner and wait for everyone to come around" doesn't always work because sometimes you have to reload or you get careless because you're also being chased by Julianna. I think the power creep in this game probably happens very quickly and I can see a need for a harder difficulty but a lot of complaints about this game that I've read sound like they've come from people who haven't gotten out of the tutorial yet.

Edit: or in that one poster's case never played it at all

If you are crouched and not on the same vertical level as enemies you can sit there and headshot them all day while they walk around within 5 feet of you not seeing you and this continues even late in the game. Alternatively if you peek out from cover and headshot one then go back behind the cover, none of them will know that you were behind whatever object you leaned out from. The main problem with the difficulty is that 'alert' enemies have zero indication of where you were unless they actually saw you, they're not able to trace bullets back to their source. Also if you shoot someone in plain sight of others they will all run to the corpse and crowd around going "wow what was that?" and if you shoot them in the head while they're crowded around they then turn to the new corpse and go "wow what was that?"

You can shoot everyone in plain sight while they're surrounded behind their friends as long as you duck behind cover after the shot. They will never, ever walk over to where you shot from.

Basically they have zero defense against you just sitting there shooting them from outside their awareness range.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been able to clear every single indoor area by just peeking around corners/doorways and headshotting enemies. Room full of 10 mooks? Peek around the door, shoot one, stop peeking for a second, then repeat 10 times and they're all dead. I guess yeah they would be harder if I was intentionally trying to be seen by them, but peeking out from cover to shoot is so ingrained in me from a lifetime of FPS games that I can't force myself to stand in the open to be spotted and shot at.

If they hid behind cover or moved to where the shots came from or actively searched for me (instead of actively searching the area they're currently in) it would actually be challenging without requiring me to pretend I'm the doom marine

I generally choose approaches that put me above enemies because that's also just ingrained in me as "a smart tactical move" and they can't handle that either. I can't think of any indoor area I've seen so far where you can't get the vertical advantage

edit: Actually Frank's house is a level where you can't get the vertical advantage but it also literally gives you about 12 briefcase turrets to carry around with you.

edit 2: Also for the record I don't think the AI particularly hurts this game, it just makes the focus not on the fighting. And I don't think the AI is "bad" (it doesn't behave abysmally in actual combat despite never aiming for the head) but it just can't handle anything except that in-the-open combat and the game gives players several tools for avoiding that kind of combat.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

Weird, I've had several instances where the eternalites alert to me and start swarming nearby areas- when I first assaulted the library they charged out the door, looked around, then sent a whole bundle of people to the other entrances. Pretty good behavior, all in all.

Then again I've also seen them go up on a roof, trip, and roll off to bounce into the sea.

Perhaps it's something in the candy

They do search nearby areas, but only areas nearby to where the person that was shot was in my experience.

To use a diagram;

The black circle is Colt and we're going to assume he peeks out from the corner he's behind and shoots the black X, which represents an eternalist who dies to the shot.

The grey circles are Eternalists who are out of line of sight of the black X and do not react. If you're close enough for them to hear my gun, they'll go into a yellow 'alert' status and start searching for you, but if you're using a silenced pistol or they're too far to hear (which is like, more than 10 feet tbh) they do not react at all.

The green circles are enemies that would be in line of sight of the body but have objects blocking their line of sight. The one directly to the right of Colt maaaay hear the shot but they're mostly deaf so probably not. The others, despite being in line of sight of orange circles, do not react at all, even if orange circles enter alert mode.

The orange circles are eternalists who are in line of sight (and looking in the direction of) the black X. Once the black X is shot and dies, the orange circles go "What was that?!" and run over to the black X to look at the spot where X died. Then, if you don't shoot them while they're crowded around the body, after a very long time spent looking at the smear on the ground they will fan out and search the yellow circle.

At any point during any of this, you can shoot more of them in the head and the same rules are followed - as long as they don't hear your gunshot (very short hearing range + silenced guns exist) then they will continue to only approach the spot where someone was shot and then fan out in a small radius from there to search.

There's no point where they ever think "They were shot from the west, let's check that side of the room and/or the room to the west." unless they see you to the west with their actual eyes - which they're very unlikely to do because they are all focused intently on the spot where their friend was just shot and they are running over to investigate, and you can just use Peek to watch them from around the corner without them being able to see you.

Also when they do see you, you get a fairly long pause where they freeze in place and their alertness meter fills up with white. When it's full with white they go "Huh? Is that him?!" and switch to a yellow alert status where they stand and stare and their alert meter fills up with yellow. Once it fills, they go into a 'red' combat mode where they are aware of you, all alerted, and start shooting at you.

The thing is, until they get to that red combat status, you can just keep shooting them all in the face right in front of their friends and they will never deduce where you are, or call the alarm. They will very rarely duck behind cover and when they do it's just for a second or two. They'll just keep rushing over to the freshest corpse then fanning out around it, making themselves easy targets. Once they enter combat status they make a radio call (unless you jammed their radios) and then everyone knows that you're there and where you are and they can find you. But before that? You barely even have to hide while shooting them all one by one.

You can avoid this problem entirely by doing things like not hiding, using loud guns and making sure you're close enough for them to hear before firing, going melee-only or things like that, but after playing games like this for nearly 3 decades I can't turn off my gamer instincts of naturally taking an approach that facilitates this or naturally being in positions that make this playstyle advantageous. I tuck myself in out of sight corners because it's the best way to avoid taking damage and to make sure I see them before they see me. If you're not instinctually approaching encounters that way the combat wouldn't be so one-dimensional, but after being trained by the genre to play a certain way I don't know how to turn that training off in order to stumble into enemy alerts more often, it would take conscious effort to be seen.

edit: Despite all of this sounding really particularly bad I want to note that Dishonored (or at least Dishonored 2 which I played recently) had the exact same behavior for its AI guards, but they seemed to have better hearing (or the difference between the pistol noise and crossbow noise was much more stark). You could do exactly what I described above in Dishonored 2 as long as you had crossbow ammo. Arkane is great at giving you so many pathways and obscure perspectives to approach encounters from but their AI has never known how to figure out where the gently caress you're approaching from unless you announce yourself.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Infused things are permanent, but if you leave one behind in a loop it's gone for the rest of that loop - they can't be equipped from the in-loop, between-maps loadout screen.

It will still be available in the between-loops loadout screen, though.

Really freaked me out when I dropped one of my infused slabs to pick up a new slab and spent the rest of the run thinking you could only ever infuse two slabs at once :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

(Spoiler for Fia's base of operations)
You can sabotage her reactor to cause a nuclear explosion, if you dont leave Firstad Rock before it explodes it ends your run If there's not a way to break the loop by doing that I'm going to be upset :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Doesn't she just set it off herself if she knows you are coming? I know that doesn't break the loop because she did it to me earlier.

I set it off myself and died, but I'm hoping there's a way to gather the final visionaries there and then do it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The personal trinkets that buff the hackamajig are gamebreaking. I have a blue trinket that increases its range, it's essentially doubled and I can hack everything from very far away now. I also got one that lets me hack mines which comes in handy way more often than expected.

e: The AI-controlled Juliana suffers from the same problems as the rest of the AI but I've been finding it a more fun experience than player-controlled Juliana. The AI-controlled one always knows roughly where you are and will stalk you around the map. Player-controlled Juliana can't do poo poo if you're ghosting the map, she'll never find you. And I guess I find that kind of fun - I like eluding the invading hunter. I just wish she had better tools at her disposal for either tracking me down or corralling me. Especially with the hack range trinket so I can just hack the antenna from across the map when I'm ready to go. I still like invasions way more conceptually than I like the way it's executed but I'm waiting to see if it grows on me, maybe invasions during the finale/final loops will be exciting. Doing the invading is fun but I wish fewer players would just book it to the antenna then an exit when you invade :( Also I feel like Juliana should get at least one extra life.

I find it interesting how player invasions are what are encouraging stealth/no-kill runs for me though. If I kill everything, an invader can just look around the map to deduce where I am. If I sneak past everything they have zero clues to follow me with.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 16, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's an achievement for using candy from the candy dispensers for a "tactical advantage" - how do you use it at all?
I get the feeling from the achievement icon that if I make someone run over it they fall down maybe?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't beat it quite yet but is it ever explained why Colt wants to end the loop in the first place other than just being bored of it? I think I'm getting pretty close to the end but I still have no idea what his motivations are. All I really know about him is that He was there with Horizons or whoever was there before the Eternalists and he... was the captain of a rocketship for them? Or something? I still don't know what turned everyone against him :ohdear:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 17, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

So uh, I don't get extra lives anymore and I don't know why. Every round starts with the little x2 lives thing in the corner and then it just disappears and if I die I am instantly toast. It's making the game insanely hard.

Is this a bug or am I not understanding something? What the gently caress?

This happens if you are (A) In a Nullifier field (look for a hackable turret-shaped object nearby) or (B) Injected the thing into your arm to get into Frank's house and then didn't remove it when you were done

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It also gives you a big warning popup if you try to leave the zone with the class pass still injected like I did because I didn't even know you could remove it :kiddo: But that doesn't help if you die while inside, of course.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Merrill Grinch posted:

I honestly didn't read that as "the biggest lore wink" because it seemed to be so nonsensical that it has to be just a winking easter egg. Dishonored's world is filled with witches, magic, gods and weird tesla-tech. Deathloop doesn't build on top of any of that.

I played Dishonored 2 very recently and the universe is explicitly not full of that stuff, the games just happen to take place in the two cities where a lot of that stuff was happening.

There are two inventors known for making weird tesla tech. Sokolov, who is mostly mentally gone after years of torture by the time of Dishonored 2, and Kirin Jindosh who you either kill or lobotomize in D2. Corvo talks about how these two were a level of genius far beyond any other mind of their era and that no one would be able to fill their shoes, and there are some throwaway lines about how ending Jindosh is effectively stopping and resetting scientific progress as we know it. They were both widely despised or unknown because their inventions brought nothing but chaos, fascism and death. Jindosh literally only used his inventions to bully townfolk and to be a serial killer. There's also some weird tesla tech in Deathloop, such as the shape-changing tesla charges you get.

When Corvo discusses Delilah being a witch in Dishonored 2, he does it in a sort of shocked and confused "She's some kind of... witch or something?!" way as if it's really truly astounding that someone has magic powers. There are very very few people in the series with any sort of magic powers and 100% of all magic in the Dishonored universe is explicitly a result of The Outsider - either through him granting people powers or through him creating magical charms. There is a Dishonored 2 standalone expansion called "Death of the Outsider" where you canonically either kill The Outsider and thus eliminate him as a source of magical powers, or you free him from the void and thus eliminate him as a source of magical powers, essentially ending the reign of magic. The Outsider mentions during Dishonored 2 that his presence in the city from each game was special, that he wasn't everywhere - that these were cities on the brink of destruction and that's why he was there. This was also canonically the end of the "Kaldwin Era" of Dishonored and Arkane has mentioned that if there were any future Dishonored games they would take place in a different era and feature different characters.

So the only remaining magic in the universe after that point would be any leftover relics that The Outsider created. Those (possibly) exist in Deathloop in the form of slabs and trinkets.

I don't remember a single reference to an actual existing god in either of the two games but it's been a very long time since I played D1. There are lots of cults but they mostly all worship The Outsider in various forms. The primary fascist authorities (I forget their name) viewed worshippers of The Outsider as heretics and blasphemers and there was a lot of religion-heavy language used, but I'm not sure there was actually a "god" discussed or anything like that.

e: My take on the whole thing is That it's sort of a cop out easter egg that's not explicitly meant to tie the universes together but is meant to make fans discuss it like I am here. There is enough to support it being the truth to make it an intriguing possibility but there is nothing explicitly saying yes, they're the same. It is, if nothing else, spiritually and thematically the next "Dishonored" game, even if it's not actually part of the Dishonored universe.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Just had my first invasion and I'm amazingly frustrated. Some rear end in a top hat just gets to show up and wreck my poo poo while I'm trying to figure out where I'm going? Killed me 3 times and let me hit him maybe twice during all 3 fights. I am awful at FPS games, even more on console, and that honestly feels like trolling-as-a-feature to me. I think I'm especially pissed because I was sure it was an NPC and I was trying really hard because I thought I could win, and then after I'm dead it shows the guy's name and it turns out no, I had no chance whatsoever because they let some CoD player come style on me.

Sorry to come and vent -- I knew this was a feature (and I immediately turned it off afterward) but I'm surprised at just how unbelievably frustrating it feels in practice. I can't imagine why anyone would want this happening.

I mean, it's a casual-competitive 1v1 multiplayer fps game. The Colt player has tons of advantages stacked in their favor but it sounds like your main problem may be being afraid of multiplayer shooting.

If you play stealthy, the AI juliana is way more threatening than player julianas because she always knows where you are. Player Juliana has no way of outstealthing you.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 20, 2021