Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The way Deathloop is structured is that the island has four zones, and you have four different times of day during a loop. So basically, each level has four variations, and different events will happen in each area at different times.

But there is no real time element, you decide when you're done, move on to the next time period and next (or same?) area.

Coming from Dishonored, I imagine it's going to be a bit like playing four out of sixteen possible missions, that are all built within the same four maps, with a lot of choice and consequence that snowball out from the order you choose to play them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Not everyone likes multiplayer, but one thing you absolutely need to do is go talk to the RAK password door in Updaam as Julianna.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Can someone give me some tips for when you're just starting out?

As far as weapons are concerned, you probably shouldn't bother infusing blue ones. There are fixed spawns for at least one purple weapon on every map, and if loop stress gets high enough, a few random eternalists will also start carrying them. For infusion priority, apart from slabs, obviously, and golden weapons, good personal trinkets are the best starting point.

You can collect all golden weapons in a single loop:

Fristad Rock in the morning. You have to kill Frank, but you don't need to have collected any slabs before you go do that.
The Complex at noon. Raid the arsenal.
Updaam in the afternoon. Collect your present at Dorsay Plaza.
Karl's Bay at night. Do the mini game challenge.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Meiteron posted:

I might be getting unlucky but I also suspect considering how many more incredibly skilled Julianas are looping me are showing up in invasions to fight recently that the multiplayer pool is self-selecting into sweaty pvp people compared to the first few days of launch.

Join goonloop, and increase our membership by 25% or less! Fair warning, I'm an old man, and my mousewheel selects the wrong weapon 50% of the time.

Palpek posted:

:siren:Ok, I created a Steam community for Goon invasions: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonloop. Add yourselves!:siren:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Wait, you can do that?

It's annoying that the only time you see a written weapon description, it's as a non-repeatable tutorial pop-up that's on screen for about two seconds. If I had had time to read it, that information might've been in there, who knows?

Phenotype posted:

Still rocking the blue Rapier I infused, and not regretting it at all. Hints on where I can get a purple one?

Complex at night: Fight Egon for one with enhanced zoom.
Also, in Karl's Bay: Take out the nullifier from a vantage point through the back window of the Fathoms of Lament, then you can double-jump shift up there. This one deals extra damage to enemies in the air, i.e. bunny hoppers and Karnesis launchees.
There's a few other variants, including a fast-reloading, shorter ranged one and one with explosive shot, but I'm not sure where fixed spawns for these are.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

IMJack posted:

Did I screw up by not spending more time exploring the Beach when I had the chance? The last time I had a chance was just after learning infusion.

You can read a note attached to Juliana's closed door, and you might not have gotten all of the flavor conversation by the eternalists outside, but that's it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I really want that explosive rapier

Karl's Bay in the morning has a rooftop sniper, and another sniper is guarding the Horizon entrance. They have a 50% chance each of spawning with the explosive Rapier, assuming your loop stress is high enough.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I have to say, I’ve never had a game really change itself into a new light like this. I went from assuredly ignoring the multiplayer aspect of the game to feeling like invading and playing as Julianna is essential to the Deathloop experience.

Have you talked to the door yet?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

The Walrus posted:

I haven't tried with juliana yet either tho

Yeah, that's what I meant. She has some great lines there.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
They probably iterated through this and decided it added way too much downtime and hassle between jumping into the areas.

Maybe it would have worked as an optional room in one of the maps' tunnel areas.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Chev posted:

I'm almost done but silly question, where's the map for Karl's Bay? Never found that one and it's likely staring me in the face.

There should be multiples, I think one is near the Delivery station.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Are there explosive shot versions of other guns as well?

Nope. Someone has already made a list of all the possible weapon traits:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wlk3seHGvT-zoxTWna8uR_fziCDIqqEmD8tfA1F3Cg0

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sindai posted:

What happens if you wander into the gas death trap bunker with a gas immunity trinket equipped? I hope he just gets annoyed and lets you out eventually.

There's a way to activate the ventilation and unlock the exit even if you don't have that trinket, if you figure it out fast enough.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I have one with the Bleed dot, so it does kill eternalists on a body shot.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There are 4 Horizon bunkers, so you need at least two loops to investigate all of them. The first time around, you can only power the one in the Complex, so you can do all the others in one loop once you can unlock the power switches if you power all six generators.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

stratdax posted:

Now Heritage Gun, THAT seems like a total pain in the rear end.

Not really, as long as you take out the nullifier first.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Switch between the 1938 and 1965 time loops mid-level, like the Stilton Mansion.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ChumpsForChange posted:

Is there any explanation given for the frozen rhino thing they’re eating in Karl’s bay? I kept expecting a note or something about it by didn’t find anything in my playthrough

It's a reference to this:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/04/mammoth-meat-was-never-served-at-1950s-new-york-dinner-says-researcher

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Any other Eurogoons playing this? I can't successfully connect to most goonloop folks.

Palpek posted:

:siren:Ok, I created a Steam community for Goon invasions: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonloop. Add yourselves!:siren:

The basic idea is that once you're in the group you should add everybody else who is in it to Steam friends in order to have them on friend invasion list in Deathloop while they're playing.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Khanstant posted:

That final run was really fun this time around, I didn't pick up a single anything and I realized a way to kill Harriet from outside the hangar and I think I got in and out in under a couple minutes in that part.

I would like to know more. (Details about the spoilered part.)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Well, let me put it this way, your intel gathering approach sounds like it can still be improved. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with shooting up a place, then scrounge every room for more information, and taking note what alternative routes for entry are, etc.

As for Fia, do you really think Arkane designs a level where stealth is the only option?

If you want spoilers, you can disable the reactor before/after you go loud. Search the outer rooms to find out how.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Unless there's two, then the crank is not in the same area. It's in a vehicle repair pit near the entry to the bunker.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Non-infused weapons can't be sacrificed for residuum (unless they're gold).

I'm pretty sure purple weapons are worth ~2000 residuum.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 29, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

KillHour posted:

I believe the "tutorial house" is Juliana's house. I wish you could go back there and check the area out again.

Yeah, it also used to be Field Marshal Berezin's manor in the 30s, according to the map of Blackreef. Berezin was in charge of Operation Horizon.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's a neat trick for the explosive nailgun: It has reduced ammo capacity (4 instead of 15) but if you install the extended magazine trinket, it gets just as much extra capacity as a regular nailgun (+9 for the purple trinket).

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Palpek posted:

Holy poo poo after all these loops I noticed an open window in a random building in Updaam at noon

Have you also noticed what (and who) you can see from the windows up there?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Does anyone know any good streamers/youtubers that go all in on stealth pvp, on either side?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Just a member of Operation Horizon who did the voice recordings for the reactor, and maybe one or two other places. I think his full name might be in a note somewhere.

Edit: Lieutenant Tobias Jahn.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 3, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, as far as I've heard, it's completely random, except that by the end you'll have one of each personal trinket, three of each weapon trinket and each combination of weapon skins and traits.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's an Easter egg trinket in the game that I just confirmed exists: You have to go to the Complex in the morning, activate the generators and divert power to Karl's Bay. In the Afternoon, open the Horizon bunker on the edge of the Karl's Bay map. Return there in the evening, and an invincible Colt clone will be pacing back and forth. Assassinate him, and he'll drop a bunch of trinkets, including one called Vampire, that's apparently unavailable any other way. You can exit to the main menu and redo the map if it doesn't drop in the quality you want.

It adds life leech to all weapon attacks.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

IMJack posted:

Apparently the Deathloop world was being ravaged by its own pandemic when the AEON project was launched, judging by a note

I found that note very interesting, because you could read it as a meta-commentary on the video games industry. Replace AEON in that note with Microsoft/Bethesda/Arkane, and read "endless pursuit of pleasure" as "escapism by playing video games", and it could just as well be a goodbye notice from an ex-employee.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Play posted:

I have a very simple question to people who have played the game through: is this game really worth 60 bucks, should I get it even though I'm not exactly hurting for games to play? I like the look and I like the action as well as the central conceit. But I'm curious to know what people who have played through it think, is it worth it or should I wait a bit and maybe get it cheaper eventually?

Arkane makes great games, and I think Deathloop is still at a point where quantity of sales matters regarding which directions future Arkane games will take, and what kind of budget they'll get.

That said, the other main reason to get it now rather than later is how you feel about the 1v1 multi-player. Being stalked or fought by a player Julianna is very different than simply playing with an AI, and the game is pretty much designed for that mode.

If you play this mode some months down the line, the remaining Julianna players will probably be frustratingly skilled.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You sacrifice the stuff you don't care about to infuse the stuff you do care about.

Everything respawns each loop, but some trinkets and some weapons with specific perks can only be found in particular locations.

If you drop an infused weapon to pick up a different one, it will be back in your inventory at the start of the next loop, but it will be gone for the rest of the current loop.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

explosivo posted:

This stuff makes me anxious looking at the screen for what to infuse and what not to - I'm kind of always concerned I'm going to get rid of something in a way that I can't get it back or gently caress myself over in some way. I know that it shows you what you have equipped and you can see what's already infused but I still get :ohdear: when looking at a big grid of stuff to dismantle or infuse at the end of a day.

Slabs and their upgrades should be your first priority, then personal trinkets that look interesting, and weapons with good traits. Weapon trinkets are super plentiful. A lot of trinkets like extra health, regeneration or damage resistance can easily be picked up from enemies again and again and again, those that buff you hackamajig in various ways are more rare. More power and faster power regeneration are also good picks for infusing.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dareon posted:

I expected a better payoff for the Pact of Smoke.

The real payoff is finding Colt's old apartment and the lore there, I guess.

Lt. Lizard posted:

The worst thing is, the solution for that issue is already in the game - there are two unique trinkets that you can get only through side-quest (and that will be then added to general loot tables once you get them), which is cool and good and rewarding and they really should have done that for majority of trinkets and probably even some weapon variations.

I'm pretty much agreeing with everything you said before that sentence, but you have a misconception about how the trinket drops work. Every trinket has one fixed location, but then there are a bunch of trinkets that can also spawn on eternalists and visionaries. I'm not sure if the visionaries other than Julianna are random, but the eternalists seem to have specific pools based on what type they are. Melee guys have different trinkets than snipers, scouts can drop a couple of hackamajig-specific trinkets, etc. There's definitely not a general loot table, unless you mean the random trinkets which spawn for Wenjie's experiment in the Complex, or the squatter experiment in Karl's Bay in the afternoon. Other than that, there are a lot more than two trinkets that can be found on neither eternalists nor visionaries.

Something I found disappointing was that all those old Horizon stations amount to nothing more than a couple of empty rooms with a few bits of lore and a weapon strewn about. When I started playing, the Complex gave me serious Stalker vibes, but nothing much came of that.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

A couple of Eternalist messages I found made me wonder if I just missed certain things:

1. Go to Fristaad Rock in the morning or afternoon, and find a way to get into the bunker on the beach right by the level entrance. Read the notes in there, listen to the audiolog, look at the whiteboard with the map, and follow that quest line. You'll note that all three locations have something in common.

2. Huh. I never found that note, but I assume you found it at noon, not in the morning? The boat can be found in the afternoon.

3. That's connected to the underground boathouse under Frank's club. You can only get inside there in the afternoon. Do that once, and before your next visit at a different loop, have something delivered there from Gideon.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I had done that stuff much earlier in my playthrough, long before I found the couple I mentioned, so I guess they're just one of the alternate triggers you can find for that questline and I mistook it for its own unique thing - to be honest, almost everything I found inside I had already found in other ways, so I guess I was meant to get in there earlier and it would have seemed like a treasure trove of information.

To be sure, there are three spy hideouts, and the one in Fristaad will direct you to the other two via the radio quest. If you've been to the other two safehouses, you should have found all the lore about the two spies, 'Beetlequeen' and 'Starbird', and why/how they decided to stay on the island. If you have subtitles on, they're even given their codenames when you listen to their conversation.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The devs are currently playing again, and can be invaded for one more hour or so.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Julianna can only come after you on maps with Visionaries, so if you feel under-equipped, collect trinkets and weapons while you're following other leads.

Two of the best weapons for PvP are the 50-50 and the Verso. The latter one can be found in the Complex at noon. Karl's Bay in the afternoon has a sidequest that can get you four random purple trinkets. Turtle Shell and Never Say Die are a good combination, and those trinkets can be found on random eternalists too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dareon posted:

One of the few permutations I didn't experiment with was Fristaad nuked, no other Visionaries dead, then checking Aleksis' party. There's a specific email for if no Visionaries, one or two non-party Visionaries, or all non-party Visionaries are dead. I don't know if there's one for Fristaad a smoking radioactive crater, but everyone else basically fine.

Also, I do love that when the loop resets you can see the nuclear explosion rewind too.

In case you don't already know about it, you should visit Updaam in the afternoon after blowing up Fristad for a pretty major alternative event.