Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Despite finishing Prey like 3 times, I never actually played Mooncrash for some reason. Well, I fixed that and just finished Mooncrash in preparation for this game. And man, I really hope Deathloop will be mechanically similar to Mooncrash, because Mooncrash was loving incredible. Bring it on. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

Man, I had the opposite experience. I loved Prey because I loved taking my time creeping through the station. The timer just ran opposite to the way I liked to play. Maybe I should give it another shot before Deathloop comes out.

There is an item that allows you to delay the timer and later, you will find a fabrication plan that allows you to craft it. This pretty much eliminates the timer as a factor, allowing you to take your time and creep around Prey-style with no issue, as long as you keep one eye on the metre. :ssh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My opinion about the whole assassin system oscillates between "it will be absolutely rad, I can't wait to play as an assassin, loving around in other people games will last me long after I beat the campaign" and "ugh, it will be a total disaster, I guess I'll try it once and then turn it off forever" basically every time I think about it. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Ended up getting it despite the AI reviews and a marginal graphics card. For what its worth it seems to run pretty well on my GTX 970 w/ 4gb VRAM despite getting a warning about it, but I'm only 15min in so far so we'll see once things open up.

Could you post an update once you played a bit more? My main worry is that my specs are too low to play the game, but my setup is pretty similar to yours, so if you have no issues with running it, I might actually end up buy it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I bit the bullet and bought the game, despite being just about, or even slightly below the min. requirements, because of the goon reporting (shout out at @Ravenfood) and I'm drat glad I did. The game is trying to convince that I'm not having anywhere near enough VRAM to run it, but not only it is playable, it actually runs smoothly with most of the things set on "High" and a bunch of fancy effects enabled :iiam:

I played for just a about 70-80 minutes and finished the first loop, so I don't have to say much about the game so far, outside of the fact that it's cool and stylish as hell and that I'm having a blast.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Grayshift posted:

Just some nudges for initial places to explore for good loot.

Hint 1: Julianna can't invade you when there are no Visionaries present on the map.
Hint 2: Some maps, during some time periods, don't seem to have anything interesting going on and yet you can still enter them. They usually have some interesting hidden loot in them.
Hint 3: (just directly stating maps and time periods for big loots :v:) Noon Complex, Afternoon Updaam and Evening Karl's Bay all have unique weapons hidden somewhere. You get the fourth unique weapon by killing Frank in the morning

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
...Ok I finally gave the multiplayer as Julianna a whirl for a few hours and...

1) Julianna that started out and has just a handful of random equipment getting pitted against well-stocked Colt is hilariously unfair. Just getting thunked with exploding nail by a Colt who had both the "power doesn't drain while standing still" and "offensive action doesn't break invisibility" Aether while all I have is a Pepper Mill.

2) As Colt, you get more invasions the more you progress, so fighting against well-stocked Colts is actually far more likely than against someone who just started out, when playing as Julianna.

3) The random loot you get as you progress in ranks is infuriating. I am rank 8, I have 3 Sniper Rifles, 5 Constances, 6 Pepper Mills and meanwhile, the only Slab I possess is the one I started with. And of course no upgrades for it either. I guess there is another Julianna somewhere that is drowning in Slabs while having like 3 weapons. There really should be some kind of shop where you can sell and buy equipment that would allow you to get rid of dupes, while also covering the holes in your roster. (please tell me it exist and I'm just blind/too low rank to see it).

4) Colt running away without achieving any objectives, or (far more importantly!) Colt disconnecting after I killed him once or twice should really count as a win for Julianna. I mean yeah, it could be a bad connection or exploits or ecetera, but c'mon, we all know he rage-quitted and this is not supposed to be some kind of well-balanced, competitive, serious businesses multiplayer anyways, throw the girl a bone.

5) Despite all of the above, the multiplayer mode is outrageously fun and anyone who doesn't give it a try is missing a huge and extremely entertaining part of the game, IMHO.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kamikaze Raider posted:

... while Julianna can get hosed by the RNG unlocks, and once she hits max level what you got is what you got...

Wait, are you telling me that there is a max rank AND no way to trade (the entirely random) unlocks, so it's entirely possible you just get stuck in MP without getting the Slabs/trinkets/upgrades/weapons you want and no way to switch them or get more? That's.... remarkably badly thought out. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m pretty sure you’ll have everything unlocked if you hit rank 50

Got to rank 15 before calling it a day. My last rank-up was 5 gray trinkets, my third exact duplica of a sniper rifle (ie. : with same ability), a purple pistol with the quiet ability and a skin. I still don't have any other Slab than the Aether I started with. So I am far less optimistic than you. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
A round of applause for Colt I threw off the cliff on Updaam evening with Karnesis, only for him to use Shift with "Swap" upgrade to switch our positions and make me plunge to my doom. I play the MP for moments like these.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
As Colt, rushing down invading Juliana with the machete is easily the most optimal tactic. You don't even need any gear to do it, although Shift, Havoc and Aether help obviously (to the point of making it almost a sure thing). The trick is that when she kills you for the first time, the invisibility from Reprise lasts long enough to sprint back right next to her and basically guarantees a kill unless she immediately runs away. And because you need to kill her only once, the machete is an instant kill, you get three tries to do it and the Reprise replenishes after you kill Juliana, there is no reason not to try the rushdown at least once.

I mean it's also really unfun for both Juliana and Colt, but that never stopped anyone, so...

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 27, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Technically, the game considers Colt escaping to tunnels as him winning... :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think it just didn't occur to them. The only one who is a scientist, relatively rational AND has at least some idea how the Anomaly work is Wenjie and she has her own kind of hubris AND might not even know nearly as much as she pretends, which could cause her to disregard the possibility. Everyone else is either too far out of the loop to have the full picture or is exactly the kind of person who would expect that they keep their memories through the loops because the opposite simply wouldn't happen to them, right? :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I discovered it, because the first time I went to assassinate her, I did it full guns blazing and the countdown begins once you are discovered and have alarm raised. I killed everyone, including Fia and promptly died in the explosion as I was leaving the map, because I thought it would be a small localized thing like Harriet and her gas and not that it will blow up basically half of the island. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's absolutely impossible for me to imagine Colt bluffing his way into the party. The guy has many strengths, but smooth-talking is not one of them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Palpek posted:

The heritage gun with accuracy and range trinkets is surprisingly long distance and kills everything in one shot even to a limb. However, it always retains the big shotgun crosshairs which is annoying to aim with.

And it can work as area denial and impromptu grenade launcher if you get the gas rounds/gas detonation variation. Honestly, it's probably my favourite gun in the game. (Exploding nailgun being a close second).

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dyz posted:

I think the difference is doing the side parts of Dishonored is a lot more rewarding than this game because it affects your chaos, expands the story, and gets you unique upgrades most of the time.

I'm not really interested in a trinket I already have and a short blurb about some random eternalist.

Honestly side-quests in Deathloop do a pretty good job in expanding the lore of Blackreef and personalities of Eternalists and are often pretty cool and involved. The issue is....there is rarely any real mechanical reward or real need to do them, if you don't want to read that lore snippet. It's IMHO one of the biggest flaws of Deathloop - if all you get from hour+ long side-quest involving multiple maps (or even multiple loops) is your 8th copy of a trinket you were already seeing everywhere for half a game, not a lot of people will be satisfied, no matter how good the lore is. The worst thing is, the solution for that issue is already in the game - there are two unique trinkets that you can get only through side-quest (and that will be then added to general loot tables once you get them), which is cool and good and rewarding and they really should have done that for majority of trinkets and probably even some weapon variations.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 19, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We all know that the Pact of Smoke quest should have been the only way to obtain the Iron Lungs trinket. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I won only a handful of games as Juliana, because a lot of Colt players have this horrible bug, where their game automatically disconnects after I kill them 2 times. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I have roughly 30+ hours clocked in and will get probably another 10ish, because I intend to get Julianna to max level and probably speedrun another playthrough with Cole, to get some matches from the other side. IMHO Deathloop absolutely stands or falls based on how much you like its multiplayer. If it's not your thing the game is good, but not great and quickly runs out of steam, content-wise. If you like its PvP, the game is fantastic and will easily last you twice as long as it would if you just played for its singleplayer aspect.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
You can also take batteries out of turrets, which are everywhere, so it's even more trivial than you think.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am 100% certain I saw that exact note somewhere in the game (In the Wenjie laboratory, I think?). It's hard to forget such a cheerful little note about how the collapse of the anomaly might literally erase the entire solar system. Or several of them.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 15, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

acksplode posted:

lol nice. Those invasion tweaks sound like a big deal, especially the one that counters hiding in tunnels. Wish this stuff had been in before I put the game down :\

Yep, specifically:

Colt dropping the game now counts as a win for a player-controlled Julianna
AFK players are tagged
Colt players who linger in Colt’s tunnels for too long are automatically tagged and that causes the tunnel doors to open

solve like 90% of issues I had with multiplayer. It's time to spin Deathloop MP for another 10 hours or so, I guess. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, there is shitload of great games that don't really sustain a conversation once most people are finished with it, that's not some kind of flaw. Together with multiplayer I got something like 50 hours out of it, the multiplayer was some of the most fun I had in that mode in ages, singleplayer was good to great, but not super noteworthy. There is not a lot more to say. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, which is why every smart Julianna will bring a rapid-fire slowing weapon and/or the throw slab to counter that exact situation. It is still annoyingly effective, especially if you use the grace period after a death to close the distance and immediately rush Julianna after respawning and you have 3 tries at it anyways, so it can still work even if Julianna has her whole kit based around countering it. :v: