Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Arkane's games and I'm hyped for this, and hoping it will have the replayability that Prey in particular had. It seems like there is plenty of scope to approach things in different ways and take out the bad guys in any order you like, and they've done cool (if limited) poo poo before with your actions wildly changing up the rest of the game like in Dishonored 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm bout it. Going dark on media tho, I'd like to save the surprises

Yeah that looks like exactly what I wanted and I'm gonna go dark on any more until the game comes out too, wanna save the surprises.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Game is now available for pre-loading :woop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

repiv posted:

There's an achievement for trying it, with 5% completion on Steam versus 45% for completing the first tutorial zone. About 1 in 9 then.

Seriously! I got all the way up the cliff when I slapped my head and went,"Oh OF COURSE, that will be what it was!" and ran all the way back and tried, laughed when the achievement popped, and when I stopped playing was shocked to see how low the percentage was.

Also was having a blast with the game but it crashed mid-fight, which was very annoying. I can't figure out if I'm going to get used to trying to play this with a controller or I'll end up playing it like I do all Arkane's games with a mouse and keyboard instead so it doesn't feel like I'm fighting myself when trying to aim.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tried this out again on M/KB and ooooof it is not well-designed for that, gonna go back to playing it with a controller even though I've always been dogshit at aiming that way. I'm really not a fan of the radial menus for each hand, but it's at least a bit easier to manage with controller than racking my brain trying to figure out what the gently caress the up arrow with two lines through it key was supposed to be before figuring out it was page up :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

are you ok none of the keybinds use page up

Once I filled up the inventory with guns, there was no option to drop a gun from the menu and no option when seeing a gun to replace one already in my hand, it would just say,"You don't have space to pick up this gun". I went and looked at the keybindings and it had set drop to Page Up. I assumed it would be the same for everybody? Maybe I somehow changed it myself but I don't see how, page up is a button I rarely use.

Anyway, I've played most Arkane games M/KB and they've worked well, but for whatever reason it feels clunky - the game also seemed to assume I have a five button mouse when I don't so a lot of options I had to make alternative bindings for. The controller by comparison seems a lot more intuitive, just with the downside that I can't aim very well with it while the mouse feels far more precise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally had a chance to play more of the game and man I love Colt, he's such a dork.

Visionary: Colt.... is that you?
Say something smart
Colt: ......... no...?

:shobon:

The bit when he realizes he has to go back to open his safe is just goddamn hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I frickin love Nexus power, hard to imagine taking it off at any point. Just feels great to tag a little cluster of enemies and then watch as all their heads pop off in sync. They succeeded in their goals to make me stop being a stealthy, not-killer into full blown murder psycho, I just kill everyone I see, why not.

I love early in the game when you meet somebody (yourself!) who says to be smart and not just run around killing everybody, and Colt basically responds,".....but I'm really good at killing people!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fucccck I killed Julianna and got a new Slab and then hit that "can't escape the menu" bug :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't have as much time to play as I want so I only just finished my first proper day (as in a full day with infusion knowledge) and I'm slowly realizing just how many different ways there are going to be to proceed through each day and how much I can change up stuff in different levels at different times and :stwoon:

Also, did Egor and happened to pick up Aether from Julianna first, and I love that they included his reaction to that and complaining about you trying to use his own tactics against him :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Figured out how to flood the little lovebirds getaway even though they weren't there because I'd killed Fia earlier, causing Charlie to throw a tantrum and leave her a passive-aggressive letter, however I did NOT figure out how to get out of there before drowning :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

You know when you're going down the shaft at the entry and go past that one unopenable door a couple of floors up from the bottom? It's hackable from the inside and it's on the same floor just around the corner from the lever that floods the place. It only stays open for a couple of seconds so you gotta run through quickly. When you drown them both you can watch them run up to the door and beat on the glass and have another little interaction with each other before they die. If you stay to watch this and stay too long you still drown too even on the other side of the door so give yourself time to escape once they've done their bit. Or don't, it's just one life and you reprise back on the surface which saves you climbing out.

Ha, that actually put the floating words watch them! into a whole next context :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how EVERYBODY dislikes-to-hates the Visionaries. You'd expect to find some true-believers, but even though they all have bought into an eternity free from hunger, want and consequence you can tell they're all so fed up with these assholes who they're stuck having to look after to protect the loop.

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats sadly how alot of games are whent they have big villian ensembles. at least one will end up being half assed to a degree on some level.

yeah. you have immortality to a degree but your entire existence when you remember it, is serving all these uncaring assholes forever. the entire island is full of selfish assholes.

From memory as I've played up to this point, I think at least a few have realized that it's not First Day, and that this means any lovely rear end work they're asked to do today since an eternity of leisure can follow is just going to repeat every single day for the rest of eternity, and there's no guarantee that just because they figured it out today doesn't mean the version of them the next day will as well which must be INCREDIBLY demoralizing.

Edit: Unrelated. I've gotten one alternate outfit for Colt so far, I saw a lot of other people posted that they had unlocked a bunch so I looked it up... you can ONLY get extra outfits by playing multiplayer? And the other costume I got has Colt wear a weird helmet for some reason.... so, welp, at least he doesn't need to worry about his clothes getting dirtier each day :shrug:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 20, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Please use this class pass to enter Frank's house."

No, I don't think I will :colbert:

Figuring out how to bypass that was extremely fulfilling, at first after getting inside I thought I'd have to time or goad eternalists into opening doors so I could get around, then I figured out you can hack the doors once you're in the building, and there are also some overhead openings you can Shift to if needed. Also it seems like somewhere there is a code that lets you disable the entire locking system entirely in the generator room you initially sneak into so that'll be a fun thing to figure out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Google Butt posted:

is using a controller in this game awkward or is that just because I haven't played an fps with a controller is years

Everything but aiming itself feels a lot better than KB/M to me (though I don't do multiplayer, where I'd probably more strongly notice the difference). I've always had problems with controller aiming and usually play Arkane games with KB/M, but this game for whatever reason feels smoother/more intuitive with a controller.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Game has really got its hooks into me now, I've found myself wanting to do just one more time period or one more loop, and my mind has started doing the whole "Wait if I do this in the morning I can set up this in the afternoon to create this series of events in the evening.... but then I'd need to be here at noon to arrange this to.... etc etc" thing, kind of like Mooncrash got me thinking when I was trying to work out perfect runs, and I love it.

I also held my nose and tried the multiplayer, did it once and didn't enjoy it at all and went back to just playing as Colt, but it's a shame because it looks like there is a storyline/character development stuff in there plus you can unlock different outfits (why you can only get new outfits for COLT this way I have no clue) so it feels like I'm missing out on stuff :smith:

PageMaster posted:

Has anyone played Prey's Mooncrash DLC? I loved prey, and saw Mooncrash come up in a lot of reviews, some saying it was the superior 'deathloop.' I skipped it at the time because I wanted more main story content, but it's back on my radar; is it worth the $20 it still costs?

Mooncrash rules. It doesn't have anywhere near the level of options/changes that Deathloop does but it's a great addition to Prey that is also different enough to the base game that it doesn't just feel like more of the same.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The gas gun has saved my rear end against Julianna a hell of a lot. I have the trinket that makes gas not hurt my lungs, and blasting her and watching her roll coughing down the incline of a roof and crash into the street below is a real treat.

Less of a treat was me being reminded while going after Harriet that while I'm immune to gas, I am not immune to the explosions caused by people shooting into the gas I am loving around in :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been wondering if there is a purple version, haven't found it yet but yeah that little blue trinket has been a fixture of my game from the first time I got it. Also agree it's kinda lovely that double-jump takes up a permanent slot, I guess I could drop it if I kept shift perma-equipped, but that restricts my other choices for slabs too so it would just be trading one minor inconvenience for another.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I love rereading interactions between Julianna and the other Visionaries with the added context (something you figure out pretty early in the game) that they're all unaware it isn't First Day and she holds them in utter contempt - even ones like Wenjie who she has some minor level of respect for - because they're just another part of the set-dressing for her, like the Eternalists, just ones she needs to make sure don't ever ALL die in one day. She even tells Colt at one point that she sometimes gets bored and just goes out and kills a few of them herself since she knows there will be zero repercussions and none of them will be any the wiser the next day.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 23, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I tried more multiplayer, haven't won a single time (best I managed was to kill a Colt twice, and the second time because we both fell off a cliff while we :regd07: at each other with machetes) but you do get free run of the entire map to just explore which was a bonus I hadn't really considered - I found a few little shortcuts/alternate routes I hadn't actually figured out as Colt yet.

One of the timelines I jumped into was Updaam at night and I'm pretty sure the person playing it was on a final run to kill everybody at once based on the stuff being said at the start of the map, so I felt really awful that I was probably adding further stress to the poor guy. I ended up killing them once but then dying when I was sneaking up on him on a roof when I suddenly was back at the halfway point, then he disappeared, then I got stabbed in the back :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Colt's spluttering reaction to Julianna telling him (spoiler regarding Colt's past) that he escaped a loop once before and then agreed to come back is incredible. He's so mad and bewildered about the whole situation :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incredibly minor thing, not a story spoiler or anything, but.... gently caress! Of COURSE Harriet would write more in her journal if you don't kill her in the morning, why did I never think to check that before :doh:

Edit: Colt's little note to himself regarding it is pretty funny too - Each day, Harriet writes something about how amazing she thinks she is. :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 24, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

A round of applause for Colt I threw off the cliff on Updaam evening with Karnesis, only for him to use Shift with "Swap" upgrade to switch our positions and make me plunge to my doom. I play the MP for moments like these.

That is so loving cool, haha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Colt's reaction after realizing that Julianna is his daughter absolutely killed me, as did her mocking him afterwards. I had figured it out long before Colt did, but it was still delightful seeing him get all worked up about how MORE hosed up everything is than he first thought :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was trying to do the unauthorized experiment bit in Karl's Bay and getting quite frustrated at how slow it was to fill up with residium when I realized that the "schematic" referring to draining visitors applied to me and I just had to die and then collect all MY residium. Colt's flustered reaction as he did it of,"DO I EVEN WANT THIS GODDAMN TRINKET!?!" was the best :allears:

Harvey Birdman posted:

There's an audiolog in Karl's Bay that reveals there were basically two ways into being an Eternalist (and I think Harriet refers to it a bit too?)- the Affiliates and the Backers. Backers are all horrible rich people who paid their way in, a lot of them are probably at Alexsis' party doing the speeches about stuff like turning schools into child labor camps. Affiliates had to commit some kind of murder to get in.

So the Eternalists are all pretty terrible people from the jump lol

I discovered the audiolog in Karl's Bay (I think) where an Affiliate and Backer got drunk the night before First Day and got into full slobbering,"You're the best person in the world and I love you so much!" mode that is very adorable apart from the fact that they acknowledge that one of them is a murderer and the other is there purely because they had extremely wealthy parents.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 27, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First time I killed Fia I had no idea that the reactor was a thing, I only found it afterwards while exploring the now cleared out level and wondered what the point of finding disarming instructions was. After that I mostly did the Fia/Charlie dual-kills so it wasn't until later that I came back and found out that what is supposed to happen is Fia hears you coming and sets the reactor to meltdown, meaning you're in a race against time to kill her and the Eternalists and still disarm it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo that's crazy, I figured out to use the wolf doll as a lure (on NPCs) but it never even occurred to me to attach a mine to it.... or that it might work against a human Julianna!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know how many got Egor to go to the party before they set up so Wenjie will always be there, but I love that if you do that, you find him in the attic trying to use Aether to do a bullshit seance and an Eternalist turns on a nullifier to reveal his trick, they all call him a dipshit and walk out on him laughing :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RatHat posted:

You can probably still do this after the Wenje thing by just killing her before the party

:doh: Of course you could, I kinda forgot to ever go back to deal with her after getting those arrangements set-up. Same deal with Frank really, it's easy to leave him to do his own thing once you've figured out how to sabotage the fireworks in the morning.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dareon posted:

Also was anyone else low-key horrified by the Aeon Coital Center?

I've not actually found that I don't think, or ran past it without noticing it. I remember it being mentioned once in an audio log of Julianna, and I absolutely love her delivery. She's all enthusiastic explaining the sights of Blackreef and then has this brief pause where she sounds like she's thinking,"gently caress do I actually have to read this part?" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trying to get the "kill all Wenjies in 90 seconds" achievement and I manage to sneak through and shut down all the cameras/turrets etc, start my rampage, going great, get about halfway through and loving Julianna shows up with Havoc in a tiny corridor and it took me like 30 seconds to kill her, then forgot I didn't have double-jump and failed to clear a jump and crashed to the bottom of the building and reprised outside and by the time I got back to the rest I think like 2 minutes had passed :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha is THAT what was was? I found the locked door once and figured I would have to come back later to find a way to unlock it. I don't think I heard any sounds, from memory that guitarist is blasting away on the clifftop at the time so maybe I was distracted by that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 30, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Palpek posted:

Holy poo poo after all these loops I noticed an open window in a random building in Updaam at noon and it turned out to be the place where the group of snipers are plotting that surprise ambush (luring Colt with a gift) that happens later in the day. The place is only reachable through that single window, no doors or anything, nice.

I found that place long before I encountered the second part you mentioned, so I completely misinterpreted the floating writing saying,"This is for you" and "Not a bad plan" and thought they were plotting to kill Charlie and you could co-opt their plan.

The significance of the giant present box in the room really didn't make sense to me until I encountered the bit in the second part of your post and the pieces clicked together :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trying to get Ghost at the Feast done. Is it pure madness on my part to try and one-shot the two visionaries on the roof? I've tried every damage enhancer I can think of and every single time they survive the initial shot and the whole map gets alerted even if I was using a silenced weapon. I started thinking it must be impossible and I was missing some other obvious way to do it, so I looked up a guide and they... just shoot one with a silenced gun and they just.... die? :confused:

andrew smash posted:

Hahaha, I just found the funniest little thing (updaam afternoon) the eternalist setting up a falling domino line that knocks a mine onto another guy's head

Haha that's awesome, I gotta go find that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I actually tried that alternate way as well but without Aether, and it immediately alerted the roof. I should have Shifted away before they got to a place where they could see me but I got demoralized by it and just went crazy killing everybody instead.

I'll try it again, but I also got the idea to maybe switch out airborne and see if I can properly time using Shift's swap to REALLY make sure they end up in a position they absolutely can't survive :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh that's great advice, thanks!

I'm simultaneously trying to get the "Kill nobody but Visionaires in the entire loop" achievement so if I can avoid killing any eternalists all the better.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The most infuriating time was when I was seen while escaping through the city by a random mook.

Oof, that's rough.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 1, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Easiest for this one is Charlie and Fia in the bunker imo. I got the no weapons achievement at the same time too.

This is the one to kill ALL of the visionaries, so I hit those two with an empty loadout on the way so I could get G.O.D of O.S.P, that was fun.

Man, Fia just demolishes Charlie's entire soul in their interaction, killing him was almost a mercy.

Edit: It suddenly only just occurred to me.... does the Clean-Ish hands achievement include Julianna? :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 1, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've never killed Frank in the morning and then gone to Updaam at night so hadn't heard Aleksis' bitching about the fireworks display being canceled before, that was a hoot. It also makes him cut short his smug party announcement as well, he leaves out the bit about being modern wolves wanting to feed, probably because he's not feeling particularly wolfish at the time. :smug:

Jesus, I really liked the song but never really listened to the lyrics or realized it's very much about Charlie and Fia... or more accurately Charlie's feelings for Fia. Suddenly the "touch everything, make it feel old" floating text on Fristad Rock makes sense.

It of course makes Fia's utter contempt and disdain for Charlie even better, though another audio log you find of her elsewhere in the game indicates she was at least invested in him at one time, and I think she hates him for doing the brain surgery even though she was the one who goaded him into doing it.

Man I really, really love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I finally managed to get through Updaam night killing the three visionaries without being spotted.... and didn't get the achievement :stare:

Does Julianna "spotting" you negate it? Right as I reached the tunnels door I heard her say,"Did you think I wouldn't notice, Colt?" and if THAT was enough to spoil the achievement then I'm gonna flip a table.