Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
As far as I know the only timer-ish mechanism in Deathloop is that if you dawdle you may not be able to kill the targets you need to complete the game before the loop resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Nah, It's already gone gold. Embargo just dropped yesterday and there's tons of previews out now. PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/deathloop-is-the-first-arkane-game-to-actually-click-with-me/

Sounds like the action oriented approach is viable, which is nice. I enjoy stealth games but sometimes I just want to shoot some stuff.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Palpek posted:

The game is gorgeous, I love the architecture of the levels and the alternative retro universe stylistic choices they made. Voice acting is great and the game has a lot of character.

However, as mentioned earlier the game is ridiculously easy to the point of posing zero challenge. You're already mowing down everything with the starting gun as the AI is braindead and you don't need to worry about health or ammo ever. Then the game starts giving you new weapons, items and powers and it's just an insane overkill when the starting setup is already OP against forces that pose no threat. I'm assuming that they can't patch the AI but I feel like they really need to add harder difficulties in the future where enemies at least hit harder because oh boy.

Yeah, I don't know if tougher enemies show up later or what but these people are in absolutely dire need of some drat helmets. Even if the enemies hit harder it doesn't matter when you can just waltz through the level plinking each of them with one silenced bullet.

E: regarding the massive lag on invasions - keep in mind the time zone fuckery with the release. Most of the North American audience is not going to show up until tomorrow.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 14, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ErrEff posted:

How is the AI regarding randomization between runs? Do they have reliable behavior as far as patrols and patterns, so you can learn how they work? Or… is that maybe not important at all?

I know this isn’t a stealth-heavy game but reading that bodies disappear is a little surprising.

Enemy placement and behavior is identical between runs, but only if you do the same maps in the same order and make the same choices. The whole point of the game is to not do that, up until the end when you figure out the right route and then it's all you do (I assume). So I guess it both is and is not important.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fadam posted:

drat, that's too bad. I find games like this really disorienting without a map.

There are maps in every zone that you can find to add to your journal, with points of interest highlighted in red. It doesn't show your location or any real time info but it helps.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Pro tip: deployed turrets have batteries in them. Batteries are very useful!

E: field nullifiers too

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 14, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

redreader posted:

I assualted the library 'where all the weapons are' and was VERY surprised to find nothing there. and no people either. Probably they stock it up later or something.

I'll put this in spoilers just in case you want to figure it out yourself: not later, go in the morning. They beat you to it

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ymgve posted:

The number with a letter are map coordinates, the following number is how many times you have to ring the doorbell in sequence to get it to open

Also, about the rocket in Charlie's game: You have to put in all the batteries, then go to the control rom and ask 2-BIT to launch it

Are there only three yellow items in the game? I've scoured practically everything and haven't found any more.

There's four yellow guns. One for each zone.
Fristad: kill Frank
Complex: enter the battery locked room in the armory
Updaam: open the gift outside the manor in the afternoon
Karl's Bay: go in the evening, open all the gifts and then return to the building with the map of all gifts in it, it's down the road to the right from the starting area

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 16, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

The quick reloading rapier with the speed loader mod is an absolute monster and my favourite use of large calibre ammo.

I'm coming around to everyone who is not a visionary being a poo poo tier mook but it's clear that Colt and Julianna aren't the only ones groundhogging it, the story rests on the Loop Preservation Protocol being known to all visionaries. In world text and audio logs make it clear that visionaries are aware of the LPP and the Loop itself.

Frequent "time is your plaything" and "jump to your death" posters and grafiti, plus seeing eternalists literally jump to their deaths, and the way NPCs use the term "tomorrow" heavily imply everyone is in on it. The eternalists know they're eternalists.

I still think the lack of adaptation and especially action and dialogue repetition is immersion breaking.

This is a (straightforward) puzzle game with bullets and a cute story, idk how you can reconcile the story and gameplay here to call this an immersive sim.

I'm still having fun with it, but it fails to stick the landing between concept and execution as a whole imo and is a lot less engaging than Prey (to chose an example from Arkane).

Yeah, everyone knows about the loop, it was the whole point of the Aeon project. It's why they are all on the island. You and Julianna are the only people who actually remember the past loops, though. The others don't remember and more importantly they don't know that they will lose their memory when the loop resets, so every day they think it's the first day of the loop, hence they do the same things in the same order unless you interfere.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

There is a note that suggests the loop is not actually the "first" day (whatever that means, there's clearly been groups on the island for a long time), it seems to be some subsequent day that's looping. I think this is a Wenji theory

In terms of how many there's been I love the trolly Julianna dialogue where she tells Colt he was here for 17 years the first time, and then left and came back because he loves looping so much. I wonder if there's any truth to this (I'm guessing not due to the delivery)..

Can we trust the quizz machine? In terms of its answers, it tells us that all of the slabs and mods are the results of Wenji's research, yet Wenji has no slabs.

The premise is fun to think about, I hope that as I finish the game it will be tied together nicely instead of falling flat after the questions are answered - or worse, not answering it's questions at all.

If I hadn't played Prey I'd be ready to be let down, but considering how that paid off it's hooks I'm cautiously optimistic.

"First Day" refers to the first day of the loop, which everyone knew was due to start on a particular day. That is the day that you play. The whole day is a special celebration of the start of the loop. Wenjie figures out that it's not actually First Day because Colt and Julianna are acting strangely, she details her logic in the note.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Did Colt "betray" the eternalists prior to the first loop starting? Why are they all hostile to him and calling him traitor from the get-go? I thought he was originally part of the project.

Julianna starts every day with an announcement that Colt has turned traitor and that everyone is to kill him on sight. The implication is that he was on board at first, and changed his mind after some indeterminate number of lonely loops when nobody aside from Julianna remembered anything.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

This is where things get a bit strange. Juliana does mention that Colt has managed to escape before, but came back, so it might not be the first loop. However, at the party, Aleksis is saying they are celebrating "The first day", which kinda suggests that this is, indeed, the first loop.

This is a minor spoiler for the overall world, and colts backstory specifically: Colt was stuck in a different loop on Blackreef 17 years prior to the start of the current, in game loop. He escaped that loop, and has now voluntarily returned to Blackreef as part of Aeon. The circumstances of the previous loop are completely unrelated to any events in the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Have many people beaten it yet? I want to talk about the ending and the overall design but I won't go slinging spoilers around if nobody is going to read them anyway.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Crowetron posted:

The other ending answers even less but has some charming dialogue between Colt and Julianne

I don't know if there's a lot to discuss with regards to the endings/narrative. It never really goes anywhere and is elevated entirely by really good voice performances. This game is about having a big playground to do para-natural violence in, and it succeeds there big time. But story stuff? I dunno. The closest any of the lore comes to interesting is the last second reveal that it takes place on the Dishonored planet in the future

Ending spoilers:

that's pretty much what I wanted to talk about. Nothing gets explained, there's no big reveals, it just... ends. All the exposition happens before the final mission. And I completely disagree that the lore was uninteresting, I loved the world building and found it all fascinating, but I wanted more at the end. Some kind of closure instead of what amounted to a big "THE END" sign. Just a very unfulfilling ending IMO.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't beat it quite yet but is it ever explained why Colt wants to end the loop in the first place other than just being bored of it? I think I'm getting pretty close to the end but I still have no idea what his motivations are. All I really know about him is that He was there with Horizons or whoever was there before the Eternalists and he... was the captain of a rocketship for them? Or something? I still don't know what turned everyone against him :ohdear:

Open all the horizon bunkers (one per map) for more info about Colt and his backstory. As far as why he does it... not much there, really. He just had a change of heart, at some point, and decided to start trying to end the loop. From then on it's been Julianna turning the others against him first thing in the morning every day.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah story question. I think I missed some lore pages or didn't pay attention enough to some bits but. So what exactly is up with the Other Coles, and the messages you see? And the old military experiment itself. They imply that the old military stuff is decades old but Cole doesn't seem...That old, and I remember a throwaway piece of paper mentioning that cole was in an asylum (i guess went crazy from the first loop?) but I don't remember anything talking about the first loop at all. Just that they shot him out of a rocket and he impregnated one of the military researchers.

The other Colts are never explained or referenced in any way, as far as I can tell. They're visitors from other loops, like the dupe Wenjies and Juliannas, but how that happens and why is completely unknown. I was really looking forward to an explanation of that after the weird Colt with the Memento tattoos who keeps calling you a "leaver" but that plot thread just disappears

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

I mean, it seems to be implied that it did work correctly, it's just that it's been going on for thousands of years and everyone has been bored into memory-wiping automata. It seems like when colt and julianna are the only ones left they each murder the other one until they wake back up, with colt keeping his focus with a goal and julianna keeping hers with exploration and discovery.

There's no indication it ever worked that way. 2 bit remembers between loops and doesn't say anything about other people remembering. There's one other npc who remembers and Julianna has no idea who she is or that she remembers, which implies that she is a special case because Julianna remembers everything

e:

Dramatika posted:

I don't like the invasion aspect for my personal gameplay unfortunately. I find I have more fun playing Arkane games with the objective marker off, and it loving blows having no idea where the antenna is on my first few runthroughs of an area when I get invaded. So it's either play the game at a disadvantage, or play the game in a way that makes the whole first runthrough less fun.

I wish they'd make an option to only show antennas on the HUD.

You can just untrack objectives and you won't see a marker. I never tracked a single objective and never saw a marker aside from the antenna or the exit, which I already knew where it was anyway

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 17, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

"People forget because they're bored. You're not bored, are you?" As for julianna forgetting, she says colt murdered her over and over, there's a lot of ways that could be interpreted so idk.

I'm talking about the npc in Karl's Bay who remembers from loop to loop, just like Julianna and Colt, you can walk in and have a conversation with her. Julianna doesn't know who she is and the npc herself doesn't say anything like "everyone else is forgetting now", it's just always been her alone. Also Wenjie would have just shut the loop down after 50 years like she planned if she could remember

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

Wenjie is aware, even in her non-remembering state, that the loop has been going on for a long time.

She hypothesizes that it has, yes. She has no way to find out, because she never remembered to complete any of her experiments.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Is there no way to pull a battery from a ballistic turret?

Also is there a charger somewhere in the ordinance depot? I need 4 but can’t find enough and I roasted one and used another on the revolving door.

Yes you can get the batteries out of turrets, it's in the base and it's a bit finicky to get the cursor over it but just try to stand to the side of the turret and look sort of away from the actual turret part, and down. If that makes sense.

Also you can just pull the battery back out of the door once it's in the correct position.

E: I think there's a charger in the control room, too.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Oh, something I’ve been wondering. If I infuse a weapon, will it still be in my inventory even if I leave it in a level to pick something else up? Or will it be gone if I don’t hold onto it?

Anything infused that you leave behind is gone for the rest of that loop, then pops back in your inventory in the morning.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

HardKase posted:

You can get a trinket making you immune to the poison

Someone mentioned earlier there's a trinket that makes poison actually heal you, which I assume is the purple upgrade to the blue immunity one. I'm missing that one, plus I haven't found purple versions of the one that increases hacking range or the one that makes your grenades heal instead of harm. Aside from those 3 I think I have all the purple trinkets in the game at this point. Oh, also never found an upgrade to the gray trinket that drains your health, but... pretty sure that one doesn't have any "upgrades"

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chard posted:

i went back to check and i think the tape is called Singularity, unfortunately i had found and listened to that one. the problem seems to be that 2-bit is pissed at me for killing master charlie even though he asked me not to, and since he loving remembers each loop i'm not sure how to get my super-user priveleges back.

e: to be super specific, my What Wenjies Want lead is stuck at the Learn More box, if that helps at all

There's several clues inside Wenjie's place, there's the minicom, the audio log and I think a note as well that all have to be read before it flips to the next step. Sorry I can't remember exactly what or where, but really go over the place with a fine tooth comb and there should be something that triggers it

e: oh and the super user privileges stick around even if you kill Charlie, so don't worry about that. That's not the problem because I definitely killed him every time before I visited 2bit

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

beat it, 16 hours for all the visionary quests + a few of the arsenal quests + a few other bonuses, though a lot of things stayed mysterious like the safe code under the mansion and how to get to the guy behind the glass. also never figured out the delivery box code, though i later looked it up and lmao why is it the only time in the game that you do not save a pin code to your notes?? i went into the room with the code too and just didnt see it ughhh

might go back in for a few bonuses but i think i'll just wait on lore explainers. i'm confused as gently caress about a lot of things!

i also hope someone clips a lot of the conversations for youtube. there's a lot that i missed, like (endgame) wenjie and egon on the roof, because i couldnt get close enough for the subtitles to kick in :(

How to get to the guy behind the glass: use the delivery box code in a prior area to order a crankwheel for Fristad Rock and then bring it to the execution chamber. There's a spot to plug it in BEFORE you go inside the gas chamber. Plug it, crank it, and then walk in.

Also re: the delivery boxes there's actually two ways to get the code. Either off the whiteboard (which requires you to personally memorize it) or from the spy archive in Fristad that you can only access once you figure out the numbers station puzzle.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

thanks, I'll do this and then probably call it a day with this game. did go grab the spy archives, which I did not find on my own at all, not even the one that you sneak into to get the number station puzzle - whoof, all those hints would have been handy.

my big unanswered lore questions:

1. Why do only Colt and Julianna remember, and why does Colt sometimes forget entirely and wake up with amnesia? IIRC Wenjie has a thing about "loop amnesia" where she's the only one who knows about it. 2-Bit also remembers, and my friend mentioned there's another lore bit you can find implying another character remembers?

2. What are Egor and Wenjie researching? What's up with Egor's "message from the anomaly" broadcast?

3. What's up with Julianna disappearing at the end if you break the loop?

4. What's up with the rocket and Colt's relationship to it? Was he supposed to be the test pilot? I'm super fuzzy on the Project Horizon details in general.

5. If Colt had a 17-year loop on the island, as the spies theorize... how's that work? I thought the time loop happened because of AEON harnessing the anomaly.

6. What the hell is the general backstory of the island pre-Horizon, how's it have buildings and poo poo? I think this is one of the questions the quizbot asked and I had no idea how to answer.

7. I guess what's with all the alternate Colts? I think Wenjie's research indicates alternate universe things just appear around the anomaly and maybe that's as much explanation as we'll get, but they were very odd.

8. Oh yeah who is leaving all the messages I can read around in my brain???

oh man theres probably like 20 more of these questions if i just keep typing, its kind of wild how much "sense" this game makes moment to moment while the backstory is so incredibly opaque

Lore spoilers/discussion ahoy!

1. Never explained as far as I can tell. The other npc who remembers is a random eternalist in Karl's Bay, which is confusing as hell. She is the only npc you can actually converse with. Find an open window in the road up on the ridge in the western part of Karl's Bay to start her thing.

2. Never explained

3. I think she's using the Aether slab? So I guess those still work outside the anomaly? No idea really.

4 5 6. These are all linked: the anomaly is a naturally occurring phenomenon on the island. There was a fishing colony that was abandoned at some point in the early 1900s (I think). Horizon shows up after "the war" maybe some WW1 equivalent and does official research into the anomaly. They build the complex, bunkers and RAK. Colt is the test pilot for the rocket (Rakyetoplan) and blasts off into the anomaly, never to return. 17 years pass. He shows back up flying an old seaplane into a coastal village. Gets shoved into a mental asylum because he insists he was in a time loop for 17 years. Gets out thanks to Egor, goes to the island, starts a new loop with Aeon which leads to the events of the game.

7. Never explained. Visitors from other loops? Somehow? No idea how this works

8. Hallucinations from your memories of hundreds/thousands of years of experience in the loop. You forgot it, but it's like muscle memory. Still there in the subconscious.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Bogart posted:

What time is right to get to Pick in Karl's Bay?

evening first, then afternoon of a subsequent loop

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah I mean I could rationalize it that way, but she also appears right on top of you half the time and also very apparently has perfect awareness of your location at all times.

She’s not hard to kill, on her own, but as the adaptive difficulty ramps up the game gets very good at spawning her right as you’re about to do something and it happens much more frequently.

Kind of like the poster above says, it’s an interesting system but particularly as you get later in the game it just kind of frustrates your efforts at solving the puzzle box, which is the much more interesting part of the game.

AI Julianna definitely does not have perfect knowledge of where you are at all times. I've watched her quite a few times wandering the level looking back and forth trying to find me. It's possible to evade and ambush her.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

In what situation would the silenced SMG be preferrable to the nail gun? The only one that immediately comes to mind is "stealth killing groups without needing to equip Nexus," but wouldn't one of the enemies alert others before you finished gunning them down?

I imbued it, but haven't actually used it yet.

In what situation is the silenced smg *not* preferable? It has longer range, better accuracy, better rate of fire, better ammo availability, and if you end up in open combat you can just keep blasting instead of swapping weapons.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Pretty sure you have to soak up her Residuum to get yr lives back

This can be really useful if you exploit it in your favor. Assuming you don't lose both extra lives killing Julianna the best thing to do is to leave her residuum laying around and go about your business, and then go back and absorb it if/when you lose your second life.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chev posted:

Indeed, once you realize the why, it's perfectly sensible. (late to end game spoilers) They know about the loop because of Colt, who was trapped in the previous one for seventeen years and, when they fished him out of the asylum, remembered the fact pretty well. So as far as their test sample went they had no reason to suspect the memory problem that would come with prolonged use. And indeed, Julianna mentions a couple times that they did remember, at first. Frank wrote a new song each day for several years instead of wallowing in his past glory and, mentioned pretty early, Wenjie figured out residuum after only seven loops, which implies she wasn't forgetting at that time because she cannot quite crack it in the permanent reboot state she's in during during the game. Julianna mentions essentially three things related to the process: people forget what they don't care about, they forget because they're bored, and they forget because a human mind can only remember so many things. And this also affects residuum, which only lasts as long as you remember the infused stuff. This all suggests the current loop kept going for a pretty long time, 17 years not being enough to affect Colt and the implication being that you at least need more memories than a lifetime. So they were many years in when the memory effect even started showing up, and in a way it's as much forgetting as falling into a routine to deal with the repetition.

Where is this stuff from Julianna written down? I never found any of this. Or is it level intro dialogue or something?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Things that don't make sense re: loop memory:
- Wenjie says she's going to shut down the loop after 50 years, so did she lose her memory before then? Doesn't seem like much time. Wouldn't you immediately terminate the experiment once you got that bored?
- Pick. Everything about Pick. Why she remembers, why she doesn't talk about other people losing their memory, why she is completely irrelevant to the overall storyline
- Colt is 100% amnesiac at the start of the game. Doesn't even remember the start of the loop. Why does everyone else think it's First Day and he has no memory at all? And why doesn't repeatedly violently murdering the others work the same as it did on Colt?

I know the answer to all these is "video games" but it bugs me how poorly executed the story was when the concept seems so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yeah, that's just a regular in game note, the wiki is super incomplete. It's in Wenjie's quarters: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2655885028