Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Also Dishonored doesn't have a morality system, it has a "how do you want to play the game" system.

IIRC doesn't the game world become noticeably shittier if you kill a bunch of people? That seems pretty close to just declaring a "right way" vs "wrong way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Does this game get easier after a few runs through? I just played about an hour last night but I was just constantly getting massacred in Updaam. I did eventually make it to the main objective and got murdered on the way out, but thankfully my next loop let me move on to the next mission.

Anytime there's more than 2-3 bad guys, I don't know what to do besides run away (and eventually find a dead end and they catch up and kill me). I'm kinda poo poo at FPS games on console, but you die so easily and have so few bullets that it feels like you're not really supposed to get in big firefights. Is this gonna get any better once I bind something besides the starting pistol?

Nice to see someone else who is also bad at video games. I actually did manage to win against huge groups a couple times, but I died when aggroing guys at bad times when I was low on ammo and definitely don't feel strong enough to just mindlessly aggro enemies.

From what I can tell, being aggressive is good and you can usually just run up and shoot people. As other people mentioned, enemy AI is dumb so you can also clear out large groups by doing things like sticking a turret down in a doorway and letting a bunch of people kill themselves on it. Or just waiting around a corner, like another poster mentioned.

Also if you want to get some decent guns fast, there are a bunch in the library that you can access during the part where you're supposed to go to your apartment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

That's what's so cool about it. When you visit Updaam during the tutorial in the morning I checked it out and grabbed an amazing rifle. I visited during a later time period and the place had been completely turned over and all the guns were gone.

Huh, it seems like I made the right decision to unnecessarily assault the library at the very beginning of the game. I got some sort of big two-handed automatic shotgun thing and a nice pistol; I used Colt's silenced nail gun as my third gun, since otherwise I wouldn't have any silenced options. I chose to do this after dying because of the lovely starting SMG jamming (unless I got unlucky, this seems to happen extremely often, like almost once every magazine).

It was actually pretty easy. It seems like in-door fights in general are pretty easy as long as you attack them from a position where they can't flank you. I like this, because this game would be extremely frustrating if the AI were actually good (due to the whole "losing most of your stuff" aspect).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm getting weirdly bad PC performance with this game. I'm getting like 30-40fps at 1440p with a 2080S and it's the first game that I've ever had complain about VRAM. It even gets sub-60 FPS at 1080p, which is really weird.

It appears to be something hosed up with the game itself, since I turn graphics to Very Low I still only get 40fps; the FPS is barely affected by changing options. I'm using current drivers so no idea what the issue is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find myself using the machete constantly. I just aggroed everyone in and outside the library and (with the help of one turret) just hacked through them all with the machete. Was afraid to use a gun because there would be delays between shots/reloads, while with the machete I'm constantly in the animation of killing people, which seems to offer you some protection. I did lose one life, but that's a small price for basically clearing out the entire area (and after that I equipped a health boost and Stone Skin, the latter of which seems to go well with the machete since one-hit kill is still a one-hit kill, so I'd probably be able to mow through even more guys). I imagine this probably only really works well in-doors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Talorat posted:

Do you have the gain life on melee kill trinket? It makes machete killing sprees a self propagating phenomenon. I'll have to try the stoneskin trick too! didn't occur to me that it wouldn't affect one hit kills.

Ah, no; I'm not very far (not too far after getting infusion), but I'm happy to know that's a trinket option. That would really make a big difference, since the time I died it was only due to attrition.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really wish I knew what was going on with this games graphics. I'm now getting like 15-20fps in Karl's Bay and even mouse movement is noticably "slideshow-y," which has crossed the line into "basically unplayable" (when it was 30fps that sucked, but it was still playable; it seems like the performance dramatically declines depending upon how big/open the area is).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got Havoc from a Julianna before actually fighting the Visionary who gives it, and I think the Julianna was using it because it took like 5-6 shotgun blasts from point-blank range to down her and I barely survived.

How useful is Aether? At least without any modifications, it seems to not last very long. Does it prevent sensors from detecting you? Hard to justify taking it when I only have two power slots (and I definitely want one to be Shift, and Nexus is actually more useful than I expected; it's useful to just throw it out when fighting a lot of guys).

Palpek posted:

I'm like 27 hours in and I haven't visited every map during every time of day yet or killed Frank, Egor or Fia even once. Sure that some of it was invasions as Julianna but maybe 4 hours max. This game will take me forever.

I just finished my first full post-tutorial day (so the first one where you can go wherever you want all day) and killed Egor, so it's interesting that the gameplay can differ than much.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 18, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently I have some 0.1% achievement "Clean Sweep" to kill everyone in an area and escape; wasn't even trying to do that, but apparently did.

edit: On this one map I turned on these satellite dish things that appears to summon forth (seemingly) endless enemies. And also maybe shoot at them? It was really confusing. They just constant triggered combat and even if I killed everyone more guys would come. I died twice to it (once from my own poison gas bullet hitting some hard-to-see object right in front of me) before deciding to stop trying to fight them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware when you unlock Infusion you only get whatever gun you currently have equipped for free, not your entire loadout. Everything else you gotta infuse yourself in subsequent loops. So if you got something good that run, make sure you're holding it.

edit: Actually just musing on the loadout page; What do you think the odds are explosives started out as a choice of the three and at some point got consolidated into those neat toggleable sapper charges?

I lucked out and happened to have my only purple gun at the time, a nail-gun with "increased damage to tagged/focused enemies" equipped.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 18, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got my first legendary, the sniper rifle. While exploring on the way to this present I found a room full of snipers that dropped the sniper rifle, and my journal updated in a way implying the snipers had already shot at me, lol, so I'm guessing that it assumes you were shot at by them first.

The gun has an attribute makes enemies explode with headshots. That seems like it should be fun.

edit: Was kind of stressful because I lost 2 lives aggroing everyone at this concert and forgetting to use Havok like an idiot, so I was worried about making it out, but I did and immediately infused the gun.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 20, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Just had my first invasion and I'm amazingly frustrated. Some rear end in a top hat just gets to show up and wreck my poo poo while I'm trying to figure out where I'm going? Killed me 3 times and let me hit him maybe twice during all 3 fights. I am awful at FPS games, even more on console, and that honestly feels like trolling-as-a-feature to me. I think I'm especially pissed because I was sure it was an NPC and I was trying really hard because I thought I could win, and then after I'm dead it shows the guy's name and it turns out no, I had no chance whatsoever because they let some CoD player come style on me.

Sorry to come and vent -- I knew this was a feature (and I immediately turned it off afterward) but I'm surprised at just how unbelievably frustrating it feels in practice. I can't imagine why anyone would want this happening.

Online invasions were actually off by default for me, which apparently doesn't seem to be typical. I've been leaving them off because I'm also awful at any FPS games that require good reflexes (the only ones I can contribute in are things like the Battlefield games).

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you play stealthy, the AI juliana is way more threatening than player julianas because she always knows where you are. Player Juliana has no way of outstealthing you.

AI Julianna kinda freaks me out. She'll just suddenly be near you in ways that don't make sense. I don't know if she always hums, but she was just strolling near me humming and had Havoc so she was like some sort of cheerful terminator.

Phenotype posted:

Can someone give me some tips for when you're just starting out? I just finished the tutorial and did the residuum bit and infused a nice purple silenced SMG, and now they've kinda turned me loose with a million different clues and tidbits that I've found out in my first couple loops. I went back to the Library first thing and grabbed a blue Rapier and infused it, then I randomly chose to go to Fristad Rock and tried killing the artist Visionary... which went pretty well, killed her on my last life, and then I tried going into her lab and triggered a nuke that blew up the island and restarted me. Sucks, cause I had a bunch of residuum and trinkets to infuse. :(

What should I be going after now? Kinda paralysed with indecision at the moment, I have an ultimate end goal but I really don't see how I'm supposed to make progress towards it. I guess I could go after another visionary (or do the artist one better this time) but that doesn't seem like making "progress" if I'm just killing a few of em, one at a time. I'm also still feeling super weak in combat, is there anything you guys'd recommend for an early power boost? (I was really hoping to infuse that trinket that gives me 50% more HP, but nope!)

I think it's fine to just go anywhere that you have any objectives (like when you click each zone and it shows if you have stuff to do there). That's what I've been doing and it's been working well for me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AI Julianna seemingly has few limits on her use of Aether. Had a very tedious fight again her where she just kept it up constantly and would only leave it for like half a second. Ended up winning by using machete.

Also finally got the "heal on melee strike" trinket (albeit just a blue version) and it's great. I've discovered some new fun machete animations, like one if you attack while falling on an enemy, and another if you assassinate them while they're sitting in a chair (this one is brutal, you basically pull their head back and guillotine them).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other bad thing about AI Julianna is that she can appear at any time. Which can be a problem if there are many enemies nearby, since AI Julianna will home in on you very fast (and there's generally no way to put her down that is stealthy).

Khanstant posted:

PVP Juliana isn't fun when they're doing invisible sniper. I'll just do a quick hack and spite leave rather than let them win or start playing ghost sniper with them.

Can you aim with a sniper indefinitely while invisible if you have that Aether upgrade that makes it not use energy if stationary?

I lucked into getting that as my first Aether upgrade (from the same AI Julianna I killed; might have something to do with her Aether seemingly lasting forever; maybe she was moving short distances and then staying still).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brovstin posted:

Yeah but even while invisible you still give off that "scope reflecting sunlight" effect that either player can see.

What if you use a scope-less sniper, like the Rapier that can zoom in?

edit: Only vaguely related, but I recently got a Rapier that shoots explosive bullets, and explosive bullets seem to be ridiculously good compared with most other weapon mods. It appears to be a one-hit kill against any non-Visionary/Julianna with a body-shot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

My life is very full right now, so I don't get to play this as much as I want, but it always feels like I got more to investigate and do in this game. I just found a device that uses Wenjie's wheel from her lab, but I'd already used it on the safe, and I found the invisible device that needs a code to shut down, and I was a few seconds short of completing Charlie's timed challenge, but now I have a silenced LIMP and a Fourpounder the makes head shots cause explosions and I am eager to see that in action.

I have this effect on the golden sniper rifle, and I can't actually tell what it does beyond the visual effect of enemies exploding (not like a bomb exploding so much as the person's body just "popping"). It doesn't seem to do notable AoE damage to nearby enemies. Maybe it prevents other enemies from noticing the person's remains (though I don't think this is the case).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve got all the other ducks in a row but I just can’t get out of Alexis’ party alive, even without having done the others first. The game’s been fairly easy up to this point but my stealth skills are clearly not up to snuff. The most recent time i managed to figure out where he was after loving up the beer and changing the music, both to no effect, just because of his gaudy loving SMGs but once I popped him everyone else was all over me. It didn’t help that I had already been killed once because 50% of the time loving Julianna shows up while I’m in the party, which for some reason immediately makes my location known to everyone. The only times she didn’t gently caress me up were when she entered into my run quickly and I was able to kill her before I started sneaking into the party.

I just got on top of one of the tall buildings and sniped people. I tried to stealth for a while (and succeeded for a while - I made it into Alexis's personal room and only aggroed people once I tried to approach the actual party), but when I inevitably hosed up and shot someone in the neck with my nailgun instead of the head, I just quickly rushed up onto the roof and the enemies have no idea how to deal with that. Since the roof I was on has a peak, I could just descend down the opposite side to get out of line of sight of guys on the ground. I killed most people at the party (including Alexis) by using nexus and the sniper rifle from the room, and then I cleaned up the rest on foot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the trinket that drains power only useful against Julianna? It's hard to tell from the text, but I'm assuming it *only* drains power and doesn't also increase damage?

Also, are there any clear numbers on how much Turtle Shell and the "reduce damage taken *and* dealt" trinket reduce damage? I've been equipping the latter (largely because I haven't gotten any non-grey versions of the former) and it usually doesn't seem to impact much, though I think it might be a detriment when I try to gun down multiple people with the gatling gun or something.

And one other thing - is Karnesis actually useful for anything (other than messing around with enemies)? Can you do silent kills with it, or will an enemy alert others before you can toss them off a ledge?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kamikaze Raider posted:

That rapier, plus the Fourpounder that shoots gas and the silenced SMG, are the only 3 weapons I've used since I found them, and I've managed to win every single invasion against me because of them.

Combined they cover everything I could ever need against invading Juliannas, stealthing through the map, and killing visionaries.

In what situation would the silenced SMG be preferrable to the nail gun? The only one that immediately comes to mind is "stealth killing groups without needing to equip Nexus," but wouldn't one of the enemies alert others before you finished gunning them down?

I imbued it, but haven't actually used it yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

In what situation is the silenced smg *not* preferable? It has longer range, better accuracy, better rate of fire, better ammo availability, and if you end up in open combat you can just keep blasting instead of swapping weapons.

I assumed it wouldn't also have the guaranteed 1-hit headshot of a charged nail-gun shot, but the post above mentions that it does, in which case it would accomplish the same thing better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I really want that explosive rapier (also gently caress everyone using it on me in pvp lol. Any tips on how to get it would be appreciated) so I went to farm Egor since I needed his slabs anyways, and ho man, every time I think I find the best rapier I find an even better one. Not only does it not use ammo if the shot connects, but since it’s a single shot it also negates the need to reload, so basically you can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger as long as you aren’t missing. Which is mostly easy due to the generous snap aim and hit boxes. Tbh it’s a faster shot than the super quick reload rapier and also never runs out of bullets.

Also not losing ammo eliminates my biggest problem when my preferred loadout is a rapier and a four pounder. Just constantly looking for large caliber rounds.

Are there explosive shot versions of other guns as well? I have a purple explosive rapier (I think some random mob dropped it for me*, not a visionary), but I don't like having to share ammo between it and my sniper rifle (though I could probably just replace the sniper rifle with it if I gave it the accuracy mod).

* I've noticed the number of random mobs that are sorta glowy and drop a lot of stuff have been increasing, presumably due to the loop stress increasing. I'm on maybe my 4th or 5th full day and haven't fully died yet, so I imagine the stress is getting pretty high (enemies alert to me pretty fast now; I only have maybe 1 full second before they go to yellow alert status and they can see me from most angles where they're more-or-less facing me.

stratdax posted:

I think I just skipped a bunch of steps on the Radio Silence quest, which I didn't even have until I found a note in Updaam. Then suddenly I was talking to Julianna like stuff had happened, and I had the password for the RAK door. I checked the questlog and it had auto-filled a bunch of steps, like going to the archives (no idea what that is). Strange.
This game's story is pretty loose. I'm never quite sure what I'm doing or why, and the characters are talking to each other like they have more information than I do. Like Julianna radio'd me and asked what I think of Alexis, and Colt says "He's an rear end in a top hat!". Is he? I haven't met him and I've never heard of him. Am I skipping steps somehow?

I had something somewhat similar happen with the arsenal quest for the sniper rifle. I entered a building and killed some guys, one that dropped the sniper rifle, and my quest log filled up with "those guns sounded loud, maybe there's some snipers nearby"; I think it assumed that you'd run up to the present and get shot at, but I didn't do that because I'm not a dumbass (and I had already died twice and was not keen on losing my progress).

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I wasn't getting stuttering as such on a 3070 ti, but with raytracing and the AMD upscaling turned off I was getting around 70fps prepatch. Now it's a pretty consistent 100fps at 3440x1440. Feels good man.

(Also jumped onto the Win11 beta at the same time which has improved frame rates across the board, so it may be more to do with that)

Ooh, I haven't played since patch but I should check this out also. I was getting like 50-60 (when not experiencing this bizarre issues that makes it drop to like 15-20) on my 2080S, also with those options turned off (though turning ray-tracing on didn't impact my frames that much).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Triarii posted:

It makes it so taking damage drains energy rather than health (though there's an upgrade that makes it not even do that, in exchange for faster passive drain).

You can randomly find silenced pistols, but I found the accuracy on the SMG to be perfect when using the sight, and the sight on the pistol kind of sucks in comparison.

I've been using the silenced SMG, and I've had somewhat mixed experience. It doesn't seem to be 100% on headshots; I'm pretty sure I've hit people in the head without them dying. I'll mess around with trinkets, since it's possible I need to add a "does full damage at long distances" mod (though I wasn't shooting the person from that far away; maybe like 40-50 feet).

There are situations where it's definitely good, though. I can pretty reliably kill 2 people with one magazine before they summon others, while hitting someone in the not-head with the nail-gun usually means I'm busted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm trying to play as Julianna and it got past Matchmaking and to Connecting and I've been at Connecting for like 5+ minutes. I think something is wrong with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Motherfucker, just had my first crash (pretty deep into a level too). Happened while I was zoomed in sniping.

edit: Did it again and managed to finish and get the Heritage gun. I got a perk that makes the slug mode spawn gas, which seems really nice; can quickly switch between mods to detonate gas.

edit2: Has anyone tried something like a combination of the "heal from melee attacks" trinket and the "power draws from health" trinket + Havoc? Would that let you basically stay in Havoc indefinitely as long as you're ripping and tearing? The Withdrawal upgrade (which I don't have) seems like it would also help with that, but you'd effectively have a much bigger power bar this way.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 24, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Palpek posted:

My mental list of side poo poo that I need to finish before escaping the loop is getting unreasonably long. Like, I haven't even started on that hidden stash map in Updaam or on delivering crank wheels to areas that don't have them or figuring out the other 2 of 3 codes in that one Updaam building where Eternalists are getting high or those 3 codes on the wall inside the RAK bunker in Fristad Rock etc. On one hand I could probably just let it go but on the other I don't want to end this game yet lol.

How does this work? I don't understand how to use the delivery stations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My newly acquired purple Stone Wall trinket combined with the purple "max health increased" trinket is hilarious. I got into a fight with multiple guys and was just running into mines and the mines were only doing like 1/10 of my health.

Fight with Frank was funny. Just hacked at him with my sword for like 30 seconds straight until he finally died (likely took so long due to the purple Stone Wall dramatically cutting my own damage; I also have to shoot like 15-20 body shots with an SMG to kill a normal mob, though being able to still kill them instantly with head shots reduces the downside). Fortunately I managed to get a max quality Turtle Shell from that run (my first non-grey Turtle Shell), so I'll have another damage mitigation option that won't cut my own damage. Also got Constancy, though tbh it's hard to rationalize replacing my silenced SMG with it. It seems like a bad idea to take two guns that use the same ammo, and there are better options if I just want to do heavy damage. The silenced SMG is great though and the guy who mentioned it being better than the nail gun is correct.

Aether with the "doesn't drain when standing still" ability is amazing. It's very good for "getting a lay of the land," since you can go completely out of cover and just stand there and mark everyone. You can also freely hack while it's active (this apparently does not count as an attack and you can do it without the "stay in stealth while attacking" upgrade). It's also nice just for letting you efficiency use your energy, since you can move in short bursts in order to ensure that you end up wherever you're trying to go (and have enough energy for it). There's no feeling rushed (which is usually my problem with abilities like Aether or Havoc).

IMJack posted:

You started with Ether? I started with Nexus. What use is Nexus going to be for a Juliana player? Could you zap an Eternalist and hope Colt gets close enough to them that's he's linked when he kills them?

I was wondering this, too (though I haven't been able to actually play as Julianna yet since the match-making doesn't seem to work for me). Can Eternalists even be linked with Colt?

If they can, I can sort of understand the benefit of it. You could equip something with large spread (or that causes explosions, like using a grenade) and use it on Colt and linked Eternalists near him, which would presumably multiply the damage across all of them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Also I love the utter loving contempt Colt has for the Visionaries. His notes talk about them like the idiot broken people they really are.

Speaking of this (Frank context maybe-spoilers)it seemed to be implied by the text when I went to kill Frank that Colt was in some sort of abusive relationship with him in the past (namely by the text over the bed). Is this correct?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Strelak Verso in dual-wielding mode seems incredibly strong. A single shot from both guns seems like enough to kill the vast majority of regular enemies, and that's without the "increased dual-wielding damage" trinket. Think I might try omitting stealth entirely in the earlier parts of the day and see how I can do with it. It seems better than the Heritage gun because the latter can only shoot so fast, while you can just go hog wild with the pistols and do seemingly equal damage. Same with Constancy, which seems mostly inferior to the the dual pistols (which reload fast enough that the Constancy's gimmick doesn't seem that necessary, and the SMG mode of the Verso shoots in burst fire, which is often preferable to full automatic).

Explosive Rapier with the right mods is also gradually starting to feel more convenient than the sniper rifle. Sniper rifle makes super-far distance shooting a little easier, but it's also perfectly feasible with the Rapier (and the latter has the benefit of also being really good at shorter ranges).And as another poster mentioned at some point, it seems like the explosions actually make it harder for the enemies to find you, since they get alarmed at the location of the explosion, rather than the gunshot.

I also found the optimal zero-risk anti-AI Julianna strategy - when she invades just go into an open area and use Aether and wait with some strong gun (like the explosive rapier).

edit: I feel like I'm coming up to a point where I want to try and finish the game soon. I have most upgrades and special guns I care about getting (don't have the one from the Moxie, but that just seems like a pain and its perk isn't something I'd use anyways).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 25, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1441871317356134400?s=21

I love when mines suddenly decide to work differently from how they do every other time in the game just in time for me to lose an absolute shitload of upgrades and residuum after thoroughly exploring and clearing out the entire manor for the first time. Thanks, Deathloop

The confusing part of this to me is that one mine killed you in one shot from full health. Are you playing on a high difficulty or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

theres a bunch of those gas canisters

Ahhh, that makes sense. I think I also blew up in that same area and survived, though I was probably running with Stone Wall and boosted max health.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Make sure to get the hack mines trinket from Frank’s fireworks storehouse

I have that, but I'm not sure when it makes sense to equip it. You can almost always avoid mines without too much trouble, and enemies aren't exactly frequently near them (so there aren't many situations where you can accomplish much by hacking them).

IMO they should have had a system where there are Major and Minor personal trinkets, with the Major ones being stuff like double-jump, taking lower damage, and other direct or very significant buffs, and the Minor ones being things like "hacking mines" or "slider long distances" or "enemy explosives taking longer to detonate."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

There are trinkets which immensely increase your bullet-absorbing capacity, especially if stacked.

Yeah, I think that's something it's reasonable to expect the Julianna to have to work around (since they'll be having to sacrifice something if they go heavy on defensive trinkets).

I really wish I could get the multiplayer to work, since there are a lot of trinkets that only really make sense for Colt vs Julianna fights (like I imagine you could probably effectively weaken someone if you used a fast-firing weapon with a purple Mind Leech trinket, "stop health regen" trinket, and a "slows the target down" perk). I don't want to do it as Colt because I don't want to deal with the annoyance of losing progress (though my Colt is pretty decked out now so I might give it a shot), but it'd be fun to do as Julianna.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

stratdax posted:

I used Aether and Shift and ripped through the hard mode with 15 seconds to spare. You just have to have an idea of the latter of the lit up blocks ahead of time, but since they aren't random it shouldn't take too long. Aether and Shift just completely negates the lasers.
Now Heritage Gun, THAT seems like a total pain in the rear end.

It's definitely doable (I think the only "problem" area is the final one with the lit up blocks), but the fact that you can only try once is annoying. If I did it a second time I'd give myself decent odds of succeeding, but I don't want to spend the time doing it for the reward in question.

stratdax posted:

I used Aether and Shift and ripped through the hard mode with 15 seconds to spare. You just have to have an idea of the latter of the lit up blocks ahead of time, but since they aren't random it shouldn't take too long. Aether and Shift just completely negates the lasers.
Now Heritage Gun, THAT seems like a total pain in the rear end.

Heritage gun isn't that bad. It's a little time consuming (primarily finding all the puzzle boxes), but straight-forward. The lever puzzles are easy (the hardest can also be mostly negated with Shift, and probably also Aether since it involves lasers, but I only used Shift).

I'm happy I got the only interesting Heritage Gun variation on my first try (slugs cause gas, leading to the fun interact of shooting a slug and then detonating the gas), so I have zero reason to get it again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blastron posted:

I really like Shift but I find the Charlie run in Updaam very upsetting. Everyone is there to play a game, and it’s not even a particularly mean one like some of Charlie’s other bullshit. Plus, 2-BIT comes across as a child, and killing Charlie makes it sad, and I don’t want to make a child sad. I’m very glad I was able to farm all the upgrades off of invading Juliannas instead of murdering a bunch of LARPers.

There’s a few other things I don’t like messing up, like the afternoon concert in Updaam or whenever I come across anyone playing around with fireworks or guitars or whatever. There’s something deeply tragic about killing all these people who signed up to party forever and got roped into killing Cole instead.

I think I will try to avoid killing anyone who is not a visionary when I go for my final run. I don’t know anything about the ending but I’m really hoping that ending the loop is “day two happens” and not “everyone dies in a big explosion”.

A lot of the Eternalists seem to be pretty cool and say funny stuff if you eavesdrop on them. Sometimes they'll be insane psychos and other times will be like "oh Jesus it's Colt I want nothing to do with this." There's one "Eternalist Colt reaction" where they're trying to psych themselves up about how dying in the loop doesn't mean dying for real (because they know they'll probably get murked if they try to kill Colt).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

Going for the plat now and I guess I'll turn off multiplayer for the harder trophies. How does AI Julianna behave?

She will always spawn close to you, and seemingly with foreknowledge about where you are. She can also spawn at times other than "right after the level starts " (though she's still always spawned relatively early for me, like within the first 5 minutes).

A strategy I've had good luck with (and mentioned in a recent post) is, as soon as you get the invasion notification, go to an open area without eternalists (if you're not already in one), use Aether with the "doesn't use power when still" upgrade, and wait.

If you don't have Aether, you'll still probably be fine with just directly fighting her as long as you have some sort of defensive trinket equipped. The only really annoying/difficult AI Juliannas I've fought were one that used Havoc (and took a ridiculous amount of fire before dying) and another that was somehow able to keep Aether up almost constantly and kept moving around and sniping me (I just ran around flailing my machete until it connected).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What the gently caress, lol

I think I had something sort of similar to this happen, except without the hosed up face and invincibility. An AI Julianna got sort of stuck on a chimney and wouldn't respond to me standing in direct sight of her.