Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Instead of wasting your not very valuable in the long run lifetime rolling gacha garbage in Genshin Impact you could be trusting your fists delivering PUNCHIN’ impact with the incredible new Streets of Rage DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

The story's kind of hard to explain because it swings wildly back and forth between fun character stuff, tragic character stuff, and then this sort of pseudo-philosophical story about the gods and their place in the world and the world's "true nature." It's hard to say what the main story even is. I ultimately enjoy it mostly because the characters are charming, even the dumb little fairy goblin Paimon has grown on me, but there's definitely a lot of like... mystery box build-up that I hope pays off.

As far as I'm concerned the part where I ate an extinct boar with Xiangling is the main quest

and paimon continues to rule

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I don't know how Genshin Impact does it, but in other gacha games with experience items I usually find that after playing for a bit I simply have a mountain of them, and maxing a new character barely makes a dent.

This is pretty much the case, unless you're whaling out and pulling every character you can, in which case you're going to have to do some serious EXP grinding. There's a dead zone while you're leveling up your first team where EXP items are really limiting, but after that it's not tough to build up a stockpile to use. The main limiting factor I've found with leveling up a brand new character is their ascensions, which basically just means raising their level cap (every 20 levels at first, then every 10 levels), which require you to farm open world materials and boss drops.

Also level is not really the most important thing with most characters. A lot of support characters can be left at level 60 or 70 (out of 90) with no real issue because the stat gains from leveling are fairly minor after that. It's just that ascending lets you level up their talents higher and that's really important for your main damage dealers.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

*exquisite tea sobbing, banging the sides of the large CRT monitor they post on* PLEASE play streets of rage

(It is very good and I am going to check the DLC out one day)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2sS51m1s3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtS_QBWX6cY

the contrast in titles and tones here is so loving funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Man I wish I had a CRT, do you know how much 1440p Sony Trinitrons are going for these days. Not even my bougie rear end can afford that poo poo!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first three Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters came out like minutes ago and there's already a font fix for the PC versions

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420430337943822337?s=20

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol that looks so similar it'd barely be worth installing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

The first three Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters came out like minutes ago and there's already a font fix for the PC versions

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420430337943822337?s=20

Holy poo poo.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Weird that they just like, already had a better font sitting there and elected not to use it, but hey at least it's a pretty easy fix.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I don't know how Genshin Impact does it, but in other gacha games with experience items I usually find that after playing for a bit I simply have a mountain of them, and maxing a new character barely makes a dent.
exp items are one thing, I have an assload of those, but you also need other very specific items to ascend them every 20 levels, that mostly depend on what country they're from and what their role is, and also their favorite flower. so you could get lucky and have someone that overlaps with something you've already grinded a bit, but theres like 6 items per country and now there are 3 countries so sometimes you get someone that hits a blind spot

its a weirdly diegetic leveling system because a lot of the time you can look at someone's upgrade items and feel like it makes a certain kind of sense that these are the things they want

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it looks so much better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's aesthetically still kinda crappy but it is much more readable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weird to launch without any of the good FFs imo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

cheetah7071 posted:

it looks so much better

i wonder if its sorted it for the dude on here who found the original font "literally unplayable"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I really badly wanted to play these handheld but apparently there's no controller support on the mobile versions, so I guess the Steam Deck is the official handheld system of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

(I am not getting a Steam Deck, I'll just play these games on my PC and be mad about it)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

Also I really badly wanted to play these handheld but apparently there's no controller support on the mobile versions, so I guess the Steam Deck is the official handheld system of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

(I am not getting a Steam Deck, I'll just play these games on my PC and be mad about it)

Steam Link

:getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But what if there's a tiny bit of latency and it drives me crazy :ohdear:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I've decided to go for the platinum trophies in FFVIIR and Sekiro. Wish me luck. I also have DOOM Eternal ready to jump into while juggling Strive and FFXIV. Never a better time to enjoy video games

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The Steam Link's great!*

*Don't play rhythm games, or paper mario-esque games, or really anything with a timing component on the steam link

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
man I wish I was into fighting games because I'm continually in love with Guilty Gear's animation, design, and music

just afraid I wouldn't get a lot out of actually playing it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GG Strive is popular enough that there are a lot of people who have never played a fighting game enjoying it right now, and the matchmaker is pretty good at finding even games for you. There isn’t a whole lot to do except PvP though since the extra modes aren’t anything special.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I've decided to go for the platinum trophies in FFVIIR and Sekiro. Wish me luck. I also have DOOM Eternal ready to jump into while juggling Strive and FFXIV. Never a better time to enjoy video games

i don't remember 7r's trophies but sekiro's looked pretty easy, just a matter of having the patience to buy every skill. you can do it!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grinding for all the skills is just dull the trophies are ez

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

man I wish I was into fighting games because I'm continually in love with Guilty Gear's animation, design, and music

just afraid I wouldn't get a lot out of actually playing it

You can ask my friends, I was certified grade-A dogshit at fighting games back in May. And then we picked up Strive, and I would now declare myself “eh, fine” at it to the point where I’ve joined the Facebook group for my local fightmans.

Strive has a pretty thorough tutorial mode, and the community resources (such as the Dustloop wiki) are extremely well maintained. There’s also lots of people making videos about it right now.

So, I’m not saying you’re gonna love it and $60 is a steep price to try something, but it IS possible to enjoy Strive if you are bad at or not very into fighting games.

Ok arcsys where’s my money

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PvP is violence...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Never heard anyone describe the story, how or why it was engaging or anything, or the world in any way besides botw comparisons and how the story and world drive you to want characters.
the engaging thing about it is, that its actually a fairly technical action game that imo hangs with some of the best in the genre, that gives you a lot of freedom in how you construct combos and play characters off each other. each character has a really narrowly applicable set of abilities that you compose into basically a custom moveset when you put together a party of four and constantly swap between them mid-battle. the open world is reasonably good too, but with the extremely good combat within the context of that open world, a big drive to explore it is to find new encounters that have interesting new combinations of enemies you haven't seen before, and seeing how that encounter functions and how well your party handles it, and then of course being an open world game seeing what kind of loot or weird puzzle that encounter was protecting. and then the combat effortlessly slides from the open world into genuinely pretty challenging boss fights that really push your mastery of the mechanics and ability to compose parties to exploit weaknesses

so as far as driving you to want characters, on top of just liking their aesthetics and stories, its just acquiring new elements to build parties with, whether out of desire to fill out your team or just novelty and wanting to gently caress stuff up. I honestly think most genshin players are kinda resentful of actually pulling new characters though, on top of it being a little bit of a pain to level people up from scratch, its also very easy to narrow down into a party that you just really like the playstyle of and not have much interest in changing up your toolset. I force myself to build new parties occasionally just to think about my other guys, but my main group has been essentially the same since october (and three of them were freebies!!) because it covers like 90% of my bases and I can bust their combo out via muscle memory

the story is, expansive and occasionally ambitious, but more often than not kind of boring imo. I can't exactly say that its just a framing device because theyre very interested in telling the story that exists in some kind of abstract sense, but it definitely functions as a framing device to drive you around the world and meeting characters. the character vignettes are generally more interesting than the main story about uh the nature of ambition(?)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

the story is, expansive and occasionally ambitious, but more often than not kind of boring imo. I can't exactly say that its just a framing device because theyre very interested in telling the story that exists in some kind of abstract sense, but it definitely functions as a framing device to drive you around the world and meeting characters. the character vignettes are generally more interesting than the main story about uh the nature of ambition(?)

The character stories/Vignettes are great when they are about one of the weirdos like Fischl or Klee, less so when it's someone boring

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Also level is not really the most important thing with most characters. A lot of support characters can be left at level 60 or 70 (out of 90) with no real issue because the stat gains from leveling are fairly minor after that. It's just that ascending lets you level up their talents higher and that's really important for your main damage dealers.

Do you think the game would be better or more fun if they simply didn't have that element. Like if all the gacha was removed in a special edition that you bought like a real videogame and had the characters ready to use as you please.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Do you think the game would be better or more fun if they simply didn't have that element. Like if all the gacha was removed in a special edition that you bought like a real videogame and had the characters ready to use as you please.

For me it would be, at least.

I know there are people for whom gacha is part of the draw. Some people really like gambling. And I can't deny that there's a certain thrill in pulling that slot machine lever and seeing what color the shooting star turns and oh poo poo it's a 5*, who's it going to be??? It's all very well designed to be a little dopamine hit every time you do a wish and it absolutely works.

If it was a regular straight-up RPG, though, where you recruited characters as you met them in the game, I'd absolutely have more fun, though. If nothing else I'd have more characters to play with (and they're all fun in their own way, going by their little limited trials you can do) and I wouldn't have to worry about saving up gems and picking and choosing which characters I spend them to get.

I think it might also improve the story, too. As it is, no character ever actually joins your party. Canonically, unless a character is a guest for a specific quest, your main character is doing everything solo. The gacha is non-canon. If there wasn't gacha and characters could join through the story instead, they could actually write the idea that you have an adventuring party into the story, and that'd be fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i think ideally it would be a xenoblade chronicles 2 situation, where its still gacha you just dont have to pay for it. its such a compositional game that I think there's value in not actually being able to pick the pool of stuff you're composing from. just like console yugioh games still make you open card packs and make decks from your pulls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The progression system isn't even really a gacha thing as much as an engagement metric thing. They want you to have to spend time after pulling the hot new character instead of just instantly maxing them, playing for a day, then going back into hibernation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

i think ideally it would be a xenoblade chronicles 2 situation, where its still gacha you just dont have to pay for it. its such a compositional game that I think there's value in not actually being able to pick the pool of stuff you're composing from. just like console yugioh games still make you open card packs and make decks from your pulls

Yeah, that might be true. You're right that putting together teams from what characters you get is part of the gameplay, and thinking about how new characters can enable new teams, too.

That thing I said about the gacha being fun in and of itself applies to Xenoblade 2 as well. I hesitated to play Xenoblade 2 because of the gacha component (even though you couldn't spend money on it even if you wanted to), but in the end I actually had fun seeing what new blades I'd get from blade cores I found. A hypothetical non-money-gacha version of Genshin Impact could absolutely work with having gacha rolls just be drops or rewards you find like blade cores in Xenoblade 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

The gacha is non-canon. If there wasn't gacha and characters could join through the story instead, they could actually write the idea that you have an adventuring party into the story, and that'd be fun.

That's wild and hilarious. I definitely want to try the game if they ever sell a real version or someone hacks one up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah there's no kind of narrative justification for why you are actually 4 people. even the free characters don't really explicitly Join Up with you, except for the very first girl you meet in the tutorial that's like "oh let's walk together to the city". and then you get to the city and she leaves in the cutscene but, you're still playing as her

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

wuggles posted:

You can ask my friends, I was certified grade-A dogshit at fighting games back in May. And then we picked up Strive, and I would now declare myself “eh, fine” at it to the point where I’ve joined the Facebook group for my local fightmans.

Strive has a pretty thorough tutorial mode, and the community resources (such as the Dustloop wiki) are extremely well maintained. There’s also lots of people making videos about it right now.

So, I’m not saying you’re gonna love it and $60 is a steep price to try something, but it IS possible to enjoy Strive if you are bad at or not very into fighting games.

Ok arcsys where’s my money

Might give it a shot- need something to play in short bursts coming up here while I'm busy with other stuff

Any better platform to get it on?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its basically the same font, but un-squished. But that's still pretty significant.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

if you arent going to locals get it on pc cuz it has the lowest input lag and a lot of players. theyre planning to add crossplay later on anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I kinda think games like Mortal Kombat would be a better starting point than Strive. I don't know, I found Strive's systems a bit unintuitive and annoying. The movement also feels not great and unfree. But that's just me