Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's out now! In America, and Europe, it's only on Nintendo Switch and in english. Only Japan got the PlayStation 4 release. All other regions are Switch only. NIS has maybe $5 and some loose change under the couch to work with. Maybe a PS4 localization will happen eventually, who knows?

What's changed in Disgaea 6?
- The level cap is 99,999,999
- You first have to unlock this in multiple stages though, and this is a little confusing. First unlock Accept an Overlord’s Challenge in the Dark Assembly (you need to first complete the storyline). You have to complete all of the following maps one time:
Shozuka Plains
Ancient Town
Hill Fortress
Harvana
Ancient Town II
Hill Fortress II
Harvana II
Shozuka Plains II

Now in Dark Assembly, pass Challenge the Carnage Dimension! now you have access to the level cap of 9,999,999. In order to give each character this unlock, you need to super reincarnate them from the Dark Assembly, and then choose the Lv Limit Break 1, you'll need 20,000 Karma for each character. Now finish Carnage Dimension to unlock the other level cap, which you're not doing anytime soon (enemies start at level 300,000), it requires a massive amount of grinding.

- The Juice Bar is a new mechanic for increasing your characters stats and level to insane numbers. You'll be grinding for a lot of HL to be able to use this, it's worth it.
- weapons/armor/items are unlocked in levels by default. Item world goes on forever, so you can make extremely powerful items right away, and then make them even more powerful with item world points.
- Throwing characters and objects on the maps no longer has to be in a straight line only. Probably one of the best mechanic changes.
- Item world leveling, updates that item in the item shop to the level you got. So no more needing to level up the same item over and over again for multiple characters, just buy it again in the item shop.

So the massive new level cap seems overwhelming at first, but it cant be unlocked until after you complete the story line. This is the easiest of the Disgaea games too. You can complete the whole thing in one sitting if you skip the cutscenes, but the story is actually pretty funny, and the characters are cool, so it's worth it to watch all of that.

Another tip: play the game with performance mode turned on, Balanced and Graphics mode are nearly unplayable. The frame rate is really bad. All of the characters have moved to 3D models now, instead of really nice high resolution sprites that looked awesome in Disgaea 5. This was a terrible idea.... if your game is Switch only which for whatever reason cannot handle this. The PS4 version is a silky smooth 60fps at all times in graphics mode, hence why fans are so desperate to get NIS to localize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

I said come in! posted:

- The level cap is 99,999,999

What the actual... :psyboom:

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
I would like to play this game. It's a shame that it isn't out yet. :colbert:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

NumptyScrub posted:

What the actual... :psyboom:

disgaea being disgaea

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ougher posted:

I would like to play this game. It's a shame that it isn't out yet. :colbert:

A Disgaea game not on PlayStation feels wrong on so many levels. I bought a PlayStation 2 because of Disgaea.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

Ok realpost, I haven't played any previous Disgaeas, saw a review vid of 5 that was intriguing... is 6 basically 5 on crack? Like I know you can reincarnate in 5 to get stat boosts and go back to level 1, is that still the same for the level 90 million D6 characters?

This sounds utterly bonkers to me, but is it a good bonkers?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How bad are the problems on Switch? Bad enough to make it unplayable?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It depends on who you ask about the stat boost stuff. I've seen plenty of long time fans be turned off by the insane stat increase. It feels unearned, and I can see the logic behind that. In previous Disgaea games you start off doing single digit damage, and then you slowly turn into a god like character doing billions of damage. Now you're doing massive damage and getting levels into the thousands within the first few hours of the game.

So yeah, it's Disgaea 5 on crack.

Pierson posted:

How bad are the problems on Switch? Bad enough to make it unplayable?

Graphics mode is unplayable, balance mode is tolerable at best 50% of the time? I still couldnt handle that. It's better than at launch in Japan where they had graphics mode only. :v:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Throwing being free range instead of directional isn’t a new to Disgaea 6. It was added in DD2 and present in D5.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

It depends on who you ask about the stat boost stuff. I've seen plenty of long time fans be turned off by the insane stat increase. It feels unearned, and I can see the logic behind that. In previous Disgaea games you start off doing single digit damage, and then you slowly turn into a god like character doing billions of damage. Now you're doing massive damage and getting levels into the thousands within the first few hours of the game.

Graphics mode is unplayable, balance mode is tolerable at best 50% of the time? I still couldnt handle that. It's better than at launch in Japan where they had graphics mode only. :v:
That sucks but from the first part of your post I think I might prefer D5 more anyway. Just having stats and levels handed to you for nothing doesn't sound like the Disgaea I'm used to (haven't really played since 3).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pierson posted:

That sucks but from the first part of your post I think I might prefer D5 more anyway. Just having stats and levels handed to you for nothing doesn't sound like the Disgaea I'm used to (haven't really played since 3).

Disgaea 5 is a rock solid game and available on multiple platforms, including PC. The complete edition with all of the DLC is pretty cheap now. The game is on sale on Steam for $16 right now https://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pierson posted:

It's not really very different from the previous disgaeas, they just increased all the numbers by a few orders of magnitude (both you and the enemy).

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Ok second dumb question now that it's downloading to the Switch, is the season pass DLC bundle thing worth a punt, or not? That's a lot of small individual DLCs it has, all of which are a couple of bucks each, and it's unclear if they are purely cosmetic stuff or if there is useful extra gameplay there. Is it worth it or should I just steer clear?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NumptyScrub posted:

Ok second dumb question now that it's downloading to the Switch, is the season pass DLC bundle thing worth a punt, or not? That's a lot of small individual DLCs it has, all of which are a couple of bucks each, and it's unclear if they are purely cosmetic stuff or if there is useful extra gameplay there. Is it worth it or should I just steer clear?

It's just characters from previous games, and color sets. Not all of the characters are added yet too. I am waiting for Usalia to be added, cause she was the one I rocked Disgaea 5 with for most of the game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I usually wait for the ultimate edition instead of buying DLC. It's normally cheaper to re-buy and includes a few QoL features and possibly a back-port of some features if a new one has come out since. Like I'd love a PS5 version but I don't expect Disagea 6 Ultimate to be out until 2023 at the earliest. probably more like 2024-2025.

New players should start with 5, then move to the 6 demo. From (it ends on the mission that unlocks the item world and everything ports). If you don't like the frame rate work backwards going to 4 / D2 (Disagaea D2 not Disgaea 2, they are very good at naming).

1 feels pretty grindy and lacks a lot of features the phone port is probably the best because they added auto battle (it's not as robust as 6's) anything other version is probably not worth the time investment beyond the story.
2 is still grindy but went very unique with the crime system and that never went anywhere else. It's worth it to experience how silly throwing a stack of people into a court room is instead of just the person that is supposed to attend.
3 is really where the game hit a stride and figured out what it really wanted to be. Everything has been building from here.

Honestly the framerate in 6 isn't horrible after a few seconds after the map loads in the item world the problem is that the AI can clear it before it finishes loading so it looks frozen for 500-800ms, this is the worst of them typically it's 100ms or so, then suddenly you get a cacophony of sound effects and everything is dead shortly after and you are loading again. Manually playing it really isn't bad. With auto you don't need to watch the screen so it ends up playing fine where it matters but you will notice animations dropping frames.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Auto battle does still need some work, unless Demon Intelligence has some way to fix this; the AI doesn't know how to throw characters over too platforms that are separate from the rest of the map. They will get hanged up on this stuff and it will disable auto-battle.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think D.I. has a lift command but I haven't looked at it much just running a pretty generic set of scripts and monitoring them. Getting that scripted would likely be a dedicated character and you'd want it walled behind like wait until turn 4 then because the map isn't complete start throwing people at the gate.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have no idea how to set up a D.I so I just ignore it

For real though the bigger numbers suck rear end and while I like how the models look and the premise they're seriously turning me off. It's less about not feeling earned (though that is a bit of it too) but it's just so goddamn unreadable. Having 20480385 HP at level 1 and getting hit for 27k I have no idea how much damage I just took until the lifebar updates. Same with weapons that have 32,048 attack and I need to buy a new one and it's 32,857. It literally tells me nothing on how much stronger it is due to how overbloated the numbers are.

It's this sad state where it feels like NIS, a dying company from what I understand, is throwing big numbers as one final bid to get people to pay attention to the series. Like "You heard we have big numbers right? Look here there are right out the gate please god buy it''

I'm also not sure how weapon skills work on some characters. I've been normal attacking with Zed for a good while and he still refuses to learn any fist special attacks. My thief has her unique talents (two of em anyway) but hasn't learned a single gun skill despite shooting the hell out of everyone.

I wanna like this game as I love the series but boy is it rough :smith:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have no idea how to set up a D.I so I just ignore it

It's really simple once you get how to make a basic one I'll make a post when I get home and can screen shot it assuming that cool send pictures to your phone from the switch that I used in Monster Hunter is a system thing and not a game thing (that felt like a system menu that came up in game).

Basically though it comes up with the 3 things When Who What. You MUST answer all 3 questions in order

So first up you need a WHAT (2 arrows) then a WHO (enemies, allies, innocent) then a what or When (Another arrow branch, or something like attack or move towards). Note it will break and your characters will just end the turn if your branches have different targets at least if in range of special attacking innocent special attack innocent else special attack enemy broke them horribly any time an innocent was on the board.

Your basic is string is just
CONDITION - enemies - move - if in range or special attack - enemies special attack (under if in range end with enemies normal attack or just defend) -- I'm not sure this works if you run out of SP that might break it I'm hoping it falls over to the normal attack but honestly not sure after debugging the innocent part. Reddit mentioned a log someplace that helps debug but I didn't end up needing it after knowing it exists so I didn't bother to go looking for it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm also not sure how weapon skills work on some characters. I've been normal attacking with Zed for a good while and he still refuses to learn any fist special attacks. My thief has her unique talents (two of em anyway) but hasn't learned a single gun skill despite shooting the hell out of everyone.

I wanna like this game as I love the series but boy is it rough :smith:

Weapon skills are gone. There are only class and magic skills.

Each non-magic class unlocks four skills via leveling at used to be weapon skills at the following levels:

Skill 1 Level 1
Skill 2 Level 200
Skill 3 Level 1200
Skill 4 Level 6000

If you wish to have fist and gun skills you need to have a monk and gunner.

Edit: If you're wondering what the point of Weapon Mastery is since Weapon Skills are gone. Each level of Mastery boosts the stats said weapon gives by 5%.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 1, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Each non-magic class unlocks four skills via leveling at used to be weapon skills at the following levels:

Skill 1 Level 1
Skill 2 Level 200
Skill 3 Level 1200
Skill 4 Level 6000

Weapon proficiency is a thing (it's in the juice bar). Or are you just saying it's not tied to learning new skills and just some multiplier in a formula? I haven't had enough time to do any kind of dive into how the mechanics work yet myself and information is still really thin online. I was learning towards you don't learn skills this way in 6 from my experience so far.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Game is good

Currently sitting around level 400k+ with my main team and farming martial dimension 3 after getting my 900 statisticians. Carnage dimension pushing is next I guess

Are there no ultimate bosses beyond Baal?

Also has anyone figured out if there is a max to the item world? I think I stopped just short of 300 on my tetra cause I got my statisticians and wanted to move on to carnage gear

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the post game, what is the best way to grind for HL? Can have HL set to 1000% in the cheat menu, but want to find a good place to grind for HL now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

pixaal posted:

Weapon proficiency is a thing (it's in the juice bar). Or are you just saying it's not tied to learning new skills and just some multiplier in a formula? I haven't had enough time to do any kind of dive into how the mechanics work yet myself and information is still really thin online. I was learning towards you don't learn skills this way in 6 from my experience so far.

Sorry I was slow with my edit.

It's a multiplier now for weapon stats.

Good Citizen posted:

Also has anyone figured out if there is a max to the item world? I think I stopped just short of 300 on my tetra cause I got my statisticians and wanted to move on to carnage gear

The item world is infinite now, but the floor counter stops at 9999.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I said come in! posted:

In the post game, what is the best way to grind for HL? Can have HL set to 1000% in the cheat menu, but want to find a good place to grind for HL now.

You can use a galaxy mage with elemental overload and a mix of evilities to make billions a minute. I haven’t started doing it yet since I haven’t needed to but there are YouTube videos for it out there to explain

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I figured out how to setup the HL grinding evility on a Galaxy Mage. Still have a little bit of preparation though before its perfected.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OhFunny posted:

Skill 1 Level 1
Skill 2 Level 200
Skill 3 Level 1200
Skill 4 Level 6000

Edit: If you're wondering what the point of Weapon Mastery is since Weapon Skills are gone. Each level of Mastery boosts the stats said weapon gives by 5%.

Disgaea 6 is kinda missing a lot, huh.

Noticed monster weapons were gone (which eh anyway but still). Monsters can't turn into stuff or fuse, and now everyone only gets 3 special attacks and that's it. oof

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I need to pick this up but just recently bought Mario x Rabbids so I'm probably going to finish that first. The performance on the Switch in the Demo was really unfortunate too.

e:

OhFunny posted:

Sorry I was slow with my edit.

It's a multiplier now for weapon stats.

The item world is infinite now, but the floor counter stops at 9999.

Oh god it's like they dug into my brain to find the one thing I wanted most but dared not say.

Can't wait to see someone run a toy sword through the Item World for 5000 hours and make it a god-killing ultra weapon.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2021

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Disgaea 6 is kinda missing a lot, huh.

Noticed monster weapons were gone (which eh anyway but still). Monsters can't turn into stuff or fuse, and now everyone only gets 3 special attacks and that's it. oof

I wonder how much of this is because of the transition to 3D leaving less time to animate as much as they normally would.

I think the leveling slope could stand to start out a bit slower. At least give me a few chapters sub-100 instead of blowing past it within a few maps.

Overall I’m enjoying the game though. Still working my way through the campaign so haven’t really engaged to deeply with a lot of the mechanics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This is my super basic DI script for my theif. Basically innocent > chest > Boss > Mystery Gate > Skip Gate

My other characters have an attack and move to enemies instead of the skip Gate and level orbs instead of chests.

Switch a few things as needed and you can get everything. Like the signs and other goodies should be going to whoever you are focusing on boosting.

You can also cram gates onto a single line by skipping attack and just defending. If you have both it gives you 1 more branch. My theif should be doing something elseand have single line gates.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 2, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Disgaea 5 is a rock solid game and available on multiple platforms, including PC. The complete edition with all of the DLC is pretty cheap now. The game is on sale on Steam for $16 right now https://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete/

The music is also loving dope!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SfFg3yRkmc

I donno how I feel about 3d graphics instead of kick rear end sprites yet.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't tried them yet, but I think I'm glad they added auto battles. In D5 I got tired of all the button pressing for simple stuff like item world. The fun was in building things and powering them up, not telling units where to move.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you reincarnate a gunner into a thief will it still be able to use gun skills it learned?

Wanting to know if thiefs are just pure trash in this game

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you reincarnate a gunner into a thief will it still be able to use gun skills it learned?

No. Change the class and lose the class skills. Only spells are movable in this way.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wanting to know if thiefs are just pure trash in this game
The former weapon skills work exactly like class skills always have: you only get to use them as long as you're in that class. But even if you don't care about stealing things, thieves are still useful for their massive movement range. They get an evility that makes their basic attacks deceptively powerful, too.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
This game really needs a combat log (unless there is one and I'm somehow completely blind), because doing stuff on my PC while my Item World clearer is working towards 100,000 kills D-Merit and looking over and seeing it being dead is surprising. I have 300 billion in each stat vs the poo poo normal items NPCs with millions in stats at best and I'm immune to poison and damage from geo effects. I also regen 5% of my HP every turn, and nothing should even be capable doing anywhere near the amount of damage.

Like what the hell is killing me in the two or three turns anything is alive?

Overall thoughts so far.
  • I like having Auto-Battle; though obviously some things are really balanced around it like the kills d-merit and juice bar.
  • Performance has to be mentioned, especially since they decided to not release the PS4 version outside of JP for some reason.
  • The stat inflation really feels like big numbers for big numbers sake. And the lizard brain pleasing numbers goes up does not feel as good when you already start in the tens of thousands.
  • Karma farming is painful especially because you need to reincarnate to actually gain any meaningful amount. It is like 173m(?) Karma to go from 500 to 2000 in a single stat, so about 1.3 billion karma for all stats. And this is only the 3rd cap and not the 4th one (255, 500, 2000, 4000).
  • UI, this is an issue in most games because some things really are never given any thought. With how repetitive certain tasks are (reincarnating hundreds of times is one example) an option to just speed through with a set option would be nice. Just let me hit reincarnate and a preset that is essentially genius with no other changes, so I can get my karma and go back to farming. Also give me the option to default to Yes and not No. Mostly my issues with UI is the same I have in a lot of games in that there are just too many clicks required to do rather repetitive tasks.
  • D.I. is pretty much how good are you at if statements. If X then Y else Z.
  • UI again, but something positive this time. The radial menu from holding down L or R and being able to just select is much nicer than having to actually run to the NPC.
  • D6 really is rather bare bones compared to D5.

No PS4 version is really weird. Disgaea games may not be the best selling and are rather niche, but I can't imagine PS4 sales would be so bad as to not be financially worth it. They've already done the translation work, so that cost is covered regardless. I can't imagine Nintendo giving them any money for a timed exclusive in the west.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lack of PS4 has me thinking they either have 7 lined up for PS5 and or a quick port of ultimate with all the dlc planned for PS5.

I have a feeling they may have thought by this time PS5 would have saturated the market and no one would want a PS4 game.

Either or both could be true. It's speculation, but I bet these models would look good on a PS5.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel insanely silly asking but are the Psychic units girls? I kind of assumed it with the big hats and clothes and stuff but all the voices are boys (least I think so?)

Normally would write it off but there are evilties that are gender locked so I'm not sure if I'm putting the right ones on mine :v:

Edit: Also need to ask, is Super Reincarnation just the old games Reincarnations? I know Zed and Asagi have gimmicks tied to it but it seems normal on everyone else

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I haven't tried them yet, but I think I'm glad they added auto battles. In D5 I got tired of all the button pressing for simple stuff like item world. The fun was in building things and powering them up, not telling units where to move.

As my first proper Disgaea, I think I'm playing it wrong; I ran the same battle 10 times for one of the early quests, decided to crank the enemies up to 20 stars in the cheat shop while I was doing it, and when I tried out auto battle and auto repeat I think I've turned it into an idle clicker :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel insanely silly asking but are the Psychic units girls? I kind of assumed it with the big hats and clothes and stuff but all the voices are boys (least I think so?)

Normally would write it off but there are evilties that are gender locked so I'm not sure if I'm putting the right ones on mine :v:

Edit: Also need to ask, is Super Reincarnation just the old games Reincarnations? I know Zed and Asagi have gimmicks tied to it but it seems normal on everyone else

Psychics are considered male by the game.

Super Reincarnation is more or less Reincarnation from the previous games. They changed some stuff around (you now earn "Karma" points that can be spent on various base stat boosts/perks) but I think the rename is more of a marketing thing than a mechanical thing.