Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mayveena posted:

I should actually get back to it on the Switch. I don't need any more PC games, I actually need more games I can play from my couch.

What if, now hear me out... gaming laptop

Now to wait for it to drop to $20, because I pre-ordered it on Switch and I''m not paying full again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

pixaal posted:

What if, now hear me out... gaming laptop

Now to wait for it to drop to $20, because I pre-ordered it on Switch and I''m not paying full again.

I haven't looked in years but a gaming laptop has to be expensive as gently caress, right?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

I said come in! posted:

On the other hand playing handheld is a huge bonus. I wonder how this will play on Steam Deck? I am unable to get one of those.

I never go anywhere where I'd use it so my Switch has never left its station :( You bring up a good point though, I wonder if porting to a Steam deck is going to be/already is a 'requirement' for a video game on PC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Sean posted:

I haven't looked in years but a gaming laptop has to be expensive as gently caress, right?

With graphic cards through the roof (i don't give a poo poo how much the journals talking about 'dropping prices') a Swtich is way better value.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Sean posted:

When I priced one end of last year, it was cheaper to get a laptop than to build a desktop. No one was using Laptop GPUs to mine. Since crypto just crashed videocard prices should be more sane. Overall laptops were not effected by the crypto mining just desktops. I paid $1200 on black friday for a R5 5800H and RTX 3070 mobile with 16GB of RAM. 32GB wasn't allowed in the bundle (I'd have been bumped to full price and $2000+ was outside my budget) and this is 2x8GB with 1 soldered. This is never going to run 32GB.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 27, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The complete version will be $70 on Steam. It includes all previously published character and cosmetic DLC, as well as new recolor DLC.. That makes it $10 less than the Switch version. Now whether or not you wanted all that DLC is a different question :)

Yeah I was very fortunate to build my PC just before the crpyto craze drove up the graphic card prices. I have a 2070 and to get a 3070 would cost twice as much as my 2070 so I'm sticking with it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Geezus it's amazing how much better it looks on PC at 2560x1440. Yeah it's expensive and I'll try it before going past the two hour refund window but simply the graphics make it my preferred way to play the game if I play it at all.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Holy poo poo that Steam price.

$90 CAD That's $30 more than Horizon Zero Dawn Complete at release.

Guess I'm waiting for a sale, this was going to be the perfect game to play while working from home.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PeePot posted:

Holy poo poo that Steam price.

$90 CAD That's $30 more than Horizon Zero Dawn Complete at release.

Guess I'm waiting for a sale, this was going to be the perfect game to play while working from home.

It's even worse on PS4 ($93.50 CAD).

I reinstalled D5 instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Geezus it's amazing how much better it looks on PC at 2560x1440. Yeah it's expensive and I'll try it before going past the two hour refund window but simply the graphics make it my preferred way to play the game if I play it at all.

Yeah the switch version looks like dog poo poo smeared across a screen. This PC port is so much better looking just for the gigantic graphics upgrade.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I and others are unable to use our Xbox One/PS4 controllers with the game. Not sure if true for everyone but I'll keep you posted on how it's going. Dev is troubleshooting with us.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Xbox One controller is working just fine with the game, so that is really odd!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You happen to have a razer tartarus v2 or other gaming keypad? It's basically the left half of a keyboard and a thumbstick. That thumbstick is presented as a controller with a stick and no buttons. While I'm waiting on Disgaea that thing has caused so many issues with games going this is player 1! Nippon Ichi seems like exactly the type of company to just detect the first controller and declare it player 1. Just not something they'd think about and it's a giant mess to untangle that would have been 10 minutes at the start of the project.

Any other controllers, even disconnected ones? I think it was PSO2 that detected disconnected controllers as player 1 so you had to uninstall them.

None of this is tied to Disgaea 6 yet but it's dumb poo poo other games have done that you can check for.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

pixaal posted:

You happen to have a razer tartarus v2 or other gaming keypad? It's basically the left half of a keyboard and a thumbstick. That thumbstick is presented as a controller with a stick and no buttons. While I'm waiting on Disgaea that thing has caused so many issues with games going this is player 1! Nippon Ichi seems like exactly the type of company to just detect the first controller and declare it player 1. Just not something they'd think about and it's a giant mess to untangle that would have been 10 minutes at the start of the project.

Any other controllers, even disconnected ones? I think it was PSO2 that detected disconnected controllers as player 1 so you had to uninstall them.

None of this is tied to Disgaea 6 yet but it's dumb poo poo other games have done that you can check for.

Yep that was the problem! Thanks!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

A very long time ago when the original Disgaea thread had lasted for years, I had said some day the Disgaea franchise is going to look pretty neat if they make the leap to 3d sprites. I got freaked out on, with all these insistences that the true spirit of the game is in 2d sprites over 3d isometry, its heresy to insist otherwise.

I'd say 'lol gently caress you guys', but I think most of the biggest pushers have been perma'd for years for connections to pedophelia or cp.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the 2D sprites of Disgaea 5 look better, but I have warmed up to the 3d models of this game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The D5 sprites were really nice in general but I like the D6 models. I just wish they had more specials to show off with.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

el oh el Steam pricing what?

In any case while I'd love to try it on PC, I think I'll just wait until the price is more reasonable for this game I already played on Switch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

5er posted:

A very long time ago when the original Disgaea thread had lasted for years, I had said some day the Disgaea franchise is going to look pretty neat if they make the leap to 3d sprites. I got freaked out on, with all these insistences that the true spirit of the game is in 2d sprites over 3d isometry, its heresy to insist otherwise.

I'd say 'lol gently caress you guys', but I think most of the biggest pushers have been perma'd for years for connections to pedophelia or cp.

I dunno man. The 3d was alright but only releasing worldwide for the first year on a console that could barely handle it was not great.

D6 was a bit of an odd one for me. I’m sure I beat it but I remember like one character and none of the story. It only stands out in my mind as that one that added auto battle to consoles and performed like poo poo

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Good Citizen posted:

I dunno man. The 3d was alright but only releasing worldwide for the first year on a console that could barely handle it was not great.

D6 was a bit of an odd one for me. I’m sure I beat it but I remember like one character and none of the story. It only stands out in my mind as that one that added auto battle to consoles and performed like poo poo

They took a payout for a timed exclusive from Nintendo, and it really is too bad it had major performance issues. Disgaea in general feels really well suited to mobile consoles in my experience. D1 and D2 I put a lot of time in on their original PS2 releases, but I more than doubled the amount of time in both those games for their PSP ports.

I'm not that deep into 6 so far but I can at least say that the zombie pug with tanuki nuts is already more memorable, or something I'm at least willing to remember over D3's 'lol animu high school trope' stuff.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

5er posted:

They took a payout for a timed exclusive from Nintendo, and it really is too bad it had major performance issues. Disgaea in general feels really well suited to mobile consoles in my experience. D1 and D2 I put a lot of time in on their original PS2 releases, but I more than doubled the amount of time in both those games for their PSP ports.

I'm not that deep into 6 so far but I can at least say that the zombie pug with tanuki nuts is already more memorable, or something I'm at least willing to remember over D3's 'lol animu high school trope' stuff.

No argument there. D6’s characters were mostly just kinda unremarkable but 3’s were actively bad

And I did enjoy D6 a decent amount while playing it. Paying $70 to go back to it just seems like way too much

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Wasn't it only 50 on switch? So lame

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Good Citizen posted:

No argument there. D6’s characters were mostly just kinda unremarkable but 3’s were actively bad

And I did enjoy D6 a decent amount while playing it. Paying $70 to go back to it just seems like way too much

Misedor is really the only standout character for me, but that's also probably because I'm a fan of SungWon Cho and love that they let him ham it up.

But yeah, that price tag is way too steep, D6 was my least favorite in the series since 3 (not that it's a bad game), and 70 bucks isn't worth a rebuy with better performance and the dlc. The endgame being pretty low effort, with autogrind basically being mandatory, and stuff like items being genericized to the point where there's nothing like the armors with extra stats or guns with longer range like in previous games were my big pet peeves. Glad Chara world isn't a thing though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Wasn't it only 50 on switch? So lame

The $70 includes all the character DLC and the recolor DLC. And of course the upgraded graphics. $50 n Switch was only the base game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mayveena posted:

The $70 includes all the character DLC and the recolor DLC. And of course the upgraded graphics. $50 n Switch was only the base game.

Normally their complete editions are priced at the base game price though. This is the first to get a price bump. They might be hurting for cash, they publicly traded?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pixaal posted:

Normally their complete editions are priced at the base game price though. This is the first to get a price bump. They might be hurting for cash, they publicly traded?

NIS is pretty much always on the brink of closing their doors for good. I'm not sure they've ever fully recovered from Disgaea RPG.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm keeping it. I'm not good at these types of games although I enjoy playing them, so this is a good fit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot everything I did about my playtime in the Switch version. 500 hours of AFK grinding. :P I feel lost all over again.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

It's really probably because 'next gen' titles are trying to normalize $70 as the new baseline price, and NIS is happy to make that extra arbitrary money.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

5er posted:

It's really probably because 'next gen' titles are trying to normalize $70 as the new baseline price, and NIS is happy to make that extra arbitrary money.

It only works if people buy it and right now less than 500 are playing it so.....

NIS would never be considered a leader in how to market or price your product, doubt EA for example would even know who they were.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mayveena posted:

It only works if people buy it and right now less than 500 are playing it so.....

NIS would never be considered a leader in how to market or price your product, doubt EA for example would even know who they were.

The same number of people would have probably bought it at a lower price too really.

I hope some of the older, original BGM is unlockable. The new stuff in 6 is just... there. Not really hitting with me at all.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There's a preview build that fixes the controller issue and also enables you to create a dump file if you are having problems with crashing. Get it under betas in properties.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

5er posted:

No sorry, the sprites look better.

D6 is a big step down in alot of ways and the 3d models is one of em.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Rakshasa mode in D6 is really weird because, like, it just makes Carnage a minor grinding speedbump that you can pretty much ignore outside of "set xp farm map to Carnage mode for the next hour or so" and continue to power up your mage to have her clear the Rakshasa unlock maps.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just started playing through this one after waiting out the timed exclusivity so I could play it without performance issues, and the early game is really confusing to me.

I've played the other games, I understand that number inflation happens in these games, but it's never been so...immediate before. It kinda seems like equipment is worthless at this stage of the game, because it increases your stats by such a small percentage of what you have at base.

Does something change, or is equipment actually just worthless for a while in this one?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

King of Solomon posted:

I just started playing through this one after waiting out the timed exclusivity so I could play it without performance issues, and the early game is really confusing to me.

I've played the other games, I understand that number inflation happens in these games, but it's never been so...immediate before. It kinda seems like equipment is worthless at this stage of the game, because it increases your stats by such a small percentage of what you have at base.

Does something change, or is equipment actually just worthless for a while in this one?

You have to be on the cutting edge of gear and keep it over level constantly to keep up

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ikanreed posted:

You have to be on the cutting edge of gear and keep it over level constantly to keep up

Fair enough. It must just be a very weird intro, then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Agent355 posted:

No sorry, the sprites look better.

D6 is a big step down in alot of ways and the 3d models is one of em.

NIS spritework was GOATed but then again apparently everyone who disagreed with him was a pedophile so it's hard to say whos right

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I appreciated how much mileage they could get out of reusing old sprites, especially wrt DLC for the oldest games. Sure they look a bit off, but in a charming way like with how dated Morrigan's sprite would eventually be in Capcom's crossover fighting games.

And heck one downside with the switch to 3d was that the DLC was more limited since they had to remake every single DLC character in 3d. After how comprehensive they got with the DLC roster in 5, it was a disappointment to see it so lacking in 6!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"HD Asagi" was the peak of NIS meta humour