Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I need to pick this up but just recently bought Mario x Rabbids so I'm probably going to finish that first. The performance on the Switch in the Demo was really unfortunate too.

e:

OhFunny posted:

Sorry I was slow with my edit.

It's a multiplier now for weapon stats.

The item world is infinite now, but the floor counter stops at 9999.

Oh god it's like they dug into my brain to find the one thing I wanted most but dared not say.

Can't wait to see someone run a toy sword through the Item World for 5000 hours and make it a god-killing ultra weapon.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I said come in! posted:

Here is my character right now, they should be able to complete blow through it but instead they are getting wrecked on carnage dimension 5. So I have to be missing something very obvious.

I haven't started this game yet (except for the demo) and goddamn the Numbers Get Bigger is ramped up to a whole new level. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

5 is better than 4 unless you really love the following lines repeated "Sardines", "My Dream", "all is for my Lord". The gameplay, story and characters are a lot better in 5.

Both 4/5 run perfectly well on PS4/PC/Switch alike. You'd get better deals for 5 on not-PS4 due to it having the DLC all bundled in.

Valvatorez does not deserve such slander.

Fenris definitely sucked though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I really need to start this game but goddamn, every time I see poo poo like there being a level beyond Carnage (not surprising) it's just... do I have the dozens hundreds of hours to spend on this game right now?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So I've started playing this and I let my team auto through a low level item world and picked up a Testamentn and floor 1 had a gate into the room with a statue and a dozen chests, which gave me a bunch of super powerful weapons (and some world muscles). I then dodged my way through to floor 30 or so, using dive-5 items when there was a gate keeper, and killing any level spheres and chests I saw along the way.

This bumped my Testament to level 55, giving about 7.8 million HP and 139k to all stats. IDK what sort of level/stats you have when you finish the story but this thing gives Zed stats that meet or exceed some level 8000+ enemies I've seen in the IW so far.

In true Disgaea fashion, I'm thinking of rushing an item to kill an item god so I can get the arcadia reward it gives since I can only assume that'll get even more ridiculous pre-LoC. :v:

e: Scratch that, I got an item god 2 instead and ended up with a legendary trap. 75k to all stats at level 1 with 7.5m hp or so. A quick dive got 20 levels on it and now it's just under 400k in all stats and around 38m hp. Also got 50+ kills on multiple people that I can turn in for 100k karma, all of which seems like severe overkill in the story so I'll probably just not use it for now unless a level annoys me.

e2: though if I had the 1.4b HL to burn all my extracts that'd be an extra 1.7m or so to every stat too. I assume there's either some goofy early HL cheese strat or you just wait until LoC and do whatever that galaxy mage thing is that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 26, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

orphean posted:

No wrong way to play but remember that you can power through the story and everything you’re doing now will be super outclassed by the first carnage potlid you find (not to mention Raksasha…)
I fully expect that to be the case as it always is. It's funny how fast and easily you can end up making the story difficulty mean nothing even without trying due to D-Merits. I sold a bunch of random crap for 150k IW points too so I can only imagine that Carnage and Raksasha items dump millions and billions of points on you so that you can just buy maxed out statisticians and other innocents easily enough without having to deal with any tedious duping bullshit like in the past (gently caress D3 and the PPS).

Apparently the Demo had some insane money making trick to for making billions per minute and I assume there's something I could be doing to make stupid amounts of HL currently, unless IWs having shops that sell Gencys and such for millions of HL is just A Thing and getting them when they're far outside your means is just something that'll happen regardless.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Monster weapons aren't a thing anymore and magichange/ride is missing so yeah, they're just like Warriors or Rune Knights or what have you now.

This is and the lack of weapon skills are two things I dislike. I'd be fine with monsters using regular weapons but losing stuff like Magichange is annoying and all skills being class based is real baffling.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 26, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

quote/edit/etc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You could probably use the Sage(?) map-wide attacks as well. With Usalia, or anyone else, the trick is to have them surrounded by people with aura buffs. IIRC girl laharl's one evility stacks so you can put it on a ton of people in the huge squad and it ends up boosting the hell out of female squad members.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That evility, like many others, is just a random reincarnation reward too isn't it? So you just keep reincarnating over and over until someone gets it and you can then scroll it to whomever?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So can you ever get more than a 25% steal chance on a thief? In the other games the steal rates would hit 50-100% but in this I've yet to see more than a 25% chance even if I'm stealing from an enemy that's lower level and has a fraction of my hit/spd. Evilities like the gunner's 100% hit rate for allies doesn't affect steal does it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Well elemental burst sure gets silly once you can farm even a1-2 billion HL to spend some INT extracts. Forget diving through carnage items, a few hours later and my galaxy mage went from a few billion to quad or quintillions of damage. :hellyeah:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rakshasa mode in D6 is really weird because, like, it just makes Carnage a minor grinding speedbump that you can pretty much ignore outside of "set xp farm map to Carnage mode for the next hour or so" and continue to power up your mage to have her clear the Rakshasa unlock maps.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Maybe they plan to sell Masoline as a micro-transaction, despite how loving awful that'd be.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I hope they get rid of Rakshasa difficulty as well because it made Carnage largely pointless.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

pixaal posted:

I feel like every game I can get into massive debt with deaths if I just throw things at the wall. Almost all your problems are "problems" with the early game in most Disgaea games. The most recent ones have kind of started at the post game level of insane stats but traditionally they played as pretty straight strategy RPGs with a level cap of 100 for the story line. You break all of this when you go deep into the item world and start loving with that.

If you didn't do much of the item world you are probably just used to being way over leveled.

At least through Disgaea 5, there was always a story stage where you could boost enemy levels so they'd be level 99, and level 99 gave as much xp as a level 500(?) enemy so you could very easily go past level 100 in the main story of the games if you wanted to.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Clarste posted:

Well, I have beaten Disgaea 7. Ultimately I ended up just funneling all my experience into C4 (Sheefore? Dunno how they're gonna localize that but she loves explosives so it's obviously meant to be a pun on C4) because she has a passive 50% chance to steal items on attack which is amazing for getting equipment items.

Is this affected by their level being lower than the enemy like with regular stealing? Because if not then that's pretty bonkers considering how annoying it is to try and grab high level IW gear at low levels normally.

Clarste posted:

No one asked but I want to talk about Higan because she's funny. I won't talk about any plot spoilers, but I'll put it in spoiler tags in case people want to go into the game blind.

Plot-wise, Higan is the undisputed strongest person in the world. This is just common knowledge. She joins at level 40 when the rest of your team is around level 20, and comes with 50 ranks of sword mastery. However, her unique evility prevents her from equipping swords and lowers all her stats by 25%, because she's holding back lol. When she gets her designated plot upgrade later, she unlocks the ability to use swords, but you probably won't want to because it also gives her +2 range (making them the same as bows) and +5 counter when using a spear. Basically the idea is that she wades into battle and counters to death anyone who looks at her funny. To help with this, her personal evilities are stuff like "+50% to all stats when there are no other allies on the field" and "when equipping no armor, gain 3x the stats from your weapon" which of course turns into plenty of DEF when you're using a spear. Also the classic "unliftable, but +50% defense."

Also also, her personal super mode (all the main characters get unique super modes like in Disgaea 5) charges up from taking hits, and when active gives her 3 actions every turn. IMO this works especially well if you turn her into a giant at the same time, because punching three times is very funny.

Anyway, she has a very funny kit.

:frogon:

Fall 2023 needs to get here so I can play this.

Not surprised that Item Reincarnation is bad. There's no more Carnage -> Rakshasa difficulty crap too right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Clarste posted:

Not as far as I know.

Good, that extra difficulty level was such a waste since there was no reason to bother with Carnage. Just keep power leveling a female mage until it (and its support) could kill the fights to unlock Rakshasa mode then do that stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I think HL was tight for healing at the very early game of D6 as well but I can't ever recall HL being much of a concern by the time you unlock the IW and proceed to do IW shenanigans so I assume it'll be similar here.

Spending my time playing Wandering Sword so I'll probably skip the D7 demo and pick up the full game later on on PC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Clarste posted:

When I played it in Japanese I ended up getting all my equipment from stealing.

Screwing around in the Item World to get into worlds (and pick up loot) at a much higher rank than what the shops has is how I end up playing these games every time. Item World stuff is always just so fun and dumb.

I take it Disgaea 7's item world also has a hard cap on the item ranks that show up in the regular non-LoC item worlds? IIRC it was rank 14 in 4 and 5.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Clarste posted:

That's true, but item reincarnation kind of sucks because you can't guarantee it'll be the same kind of item. Grats on your level 200 candy bar.

Item reincarnation stays the same rank doesn't it? Or is the rank random too? Because if so then gently caress that noise (until someone makes a mod on PC that makes item reincarnation not suck).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

I'm kinda shellshocked at the price for the ultimate bundle.

Same. Disgaea 5's EN release having all the DLC and still just costing the regular price was wonderful and spoiled me because it meant I was able to immediately grab characters like Laharl, Metallia, and Desco and ran a team of almost no generics for a long time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Also numbers immediately jumping into the millions just sort of made the numbers lose all sense. It’s one thing if I’m doing it at the end, but they start ramping up so quickly in 6 that it just doesn’t feel good?

I liked the super high levels idea at first because in other games going from 1 to 9999 in a single action was the norm in post game team building so I figured it meant hitting max level would take time, since you might figure out a way to go from 1 to 50000 or whatever instead of 9999 in one action, but instead it was the same rate of leveling so you went from 1 to max in 1 move anyways.

And adding Rakshasa mode just made carnage entirely pointless because why spend dozens of hours on Carnage instead of an hour or two grinding up a team that could unlock Rakshasa instead?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this first giant boss who can one-shot half my team each turn, including my own giant guy, from anywhere on the map?

It's Disgaea, Get a character to 10x their level and one shot them. :black101:

(I have not played D7 yet)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Chapter 11 stage 1 (I think) has around a dozen lvl 99 characters to farm if you have the cheat shop difficulty set to 4

Lvl 99's give the same xp as ~lvl 300

I really love how every(?) Disgaea game has a level like this in the story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Deki posted:

Looks like I'm starting the carnage unlock maps already.

Not that I am complaining but it feels easier and easier to get to carnage with each game

Wasn't it Disgaea 3 where LoC unlocks required something like you had to build a specific spaceship (or whatever it was called) and jump through a bunch of other hoops to unlock it? In 6 you just needed to beat some challenge maps to unlock Carnage and Rakshasa which honestly was a-ok to me. I forget what 5's LoC unlock was. I think it was also just needing to beat a certain boss/map?

Unlocking LoC was genuinely unfun in some games so if 7 kept the "just beat this series of challenge maps" thing then I hope that's the way they do it from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was it D2 where you had to encounter all the IW pirates or was that for something else

That loving blew

I think that was 3. I remember having to hunt down pirates for some reason in 3 and by the time I unlocked LoC I just didn't care to play any more because that and PPS duping were awful. When D4 had the shop bug that let you dupe the last item in your inventory I basically turned off auto updates for the game because there was zero loving chance I was going to give up a way to almost instantly max out innocents when the "intended" way was farming in the Senate or some other tedious bullshit. The mechanic in 5 for making and maxing innocents was good though. The QoL stuff in 5 was just so nice while 6 felt like a downgrade (but still a better game than 3). Hopefully I'll get around to 7 in the coming weeks.