Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you reincarnate a gunner into a thief will it still be able to use gun skills it learned?

Wanting to know if thiefs are just pure trash in this game
The former weapon skills work exactly like class skills always have: you only get to use them as long as you're in that class. But even if you don't care about stealing things, thieves are still useful for their massive movement range. They get an evility that makes their basic attacks deceptively powerful, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Maguoob posted:

I run IW solo and have the geo reverse evility and that would actually be an easy thing to spot as the geo symbol would still be there, but when auto-battle breaks there is never any ally damage geo around. Geo symbols were actually the first thing I checked for, but there weren’t any either time my character died.

It isn’t like my character is dead all the time, but it has happened a couple times over thousands of floors.
It must be something like the Ninja skill with an instant death proc, but I couldn't guess what, exactly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Here is my character right now, they should be able to complete blow through it but instead they are getting wrecked on carnage dimension 5. So I have to be missing something very obvious.
So the English version just uses plain old commas as the digit separator, huh? In the Japanese version, a number like 1,234,567,890,123,456 is displayed as 1234兆5678億9012万3456, with the 兆, 億 and 万 in a different colour, so you can instantly tell what order of magnitude you're dealing with. I thought that was a really smart bit of UI design. Pity it didn't survive localisation. English obviously doesn't have those specific characters, but you could do the same thing with K, M, B and so on.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When D5 released I had just finished replaying 4 and DD2 so I was burned out. Just went through the main story and called it a day because I couldn't be assed. Picked up 5 complete and holy poo poo it's such a better game than I gave it credit for, it's insane.

I do wanna ask about Christo though. I told myself I'd use all the main characters but this dude just sucks the most gigantic pile of poo poo I've ever seen. It's like they programmed him wrong as a joke. Absolutely 0 damage and he can't even heal right. If I use stat ups on him it'll be like "Stats went up by 100!" while only going up by 3-4 it's actually kind of absurd. I already know his deal story wise but right now he's just not leveling up because he can't damage anything or heal anyone.
You use him for his passive that gives adjacent allies 100% accuracy, and later his upgraded Overload that makes your team effectively invincible for the turn. They're not always useful, but when they are, they're huge, and there's nothing else in the game that does the same job.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

The Hinomoto Netherworld is known for its samurai warriors with their strict code of honor, or at least it was until the demons of the Monkey* Netherworld (uses word for monkey 'saru' but not the kanji so the meaning is somewhat ambiguous) invaded and stripped out their culture.
Haven't played the demo, but when Christo is trying to hide where he's from in 5, he says 「さる巨大魔界」 in the sense of "a certain massive Netherworld", so that's a kind of expression they've used before to refer to somewhere without naming it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bloodly posted:

I could swear...No, wait, they did a visual novel, not a full dating sim. Something about looping? Time travel?

EDIT: That was it. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VisualNovel/DisgaeaInfinite

The closest thing they've ever had to a relationship points system was in Soul Nomad.
(They developed the Uta no Prince-sama games. That's the reference.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this first giant boss who can one-shot half my team each turn, including my own giant guy, from anywhere on the map?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Deki posted:

Giants can hit in a 5x5 aoe so spread out. When he's big, the more units you have out, the more defense you have. If you can hold out 1-2 rounds you can go giant yourself and beat the poo poo out of him.
That's what I was doing. My strongest unit only hits for about 30% of the boss' health, then gets killed by him. My two strongest together can do maybe 50%. I had the rest of my team throw my third and fourth into attack range, but they can't even dent him.

I really don't want to grind this early in the game. Will this be a pattern for later bosses as well?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Deki posted:

Just to be clear, are you making your strongest unit giant when the bar fills?

I didn't have anyone but the giant hit him, just turtled around the base panel until I could use it.

Also, while I haven't beaten the game, so far no other boss fight has you up against a giant off the bat
I hid him in the base panel and sent two random guys out as a sacrifice on the first turn, and then got him out and transformed on the second turn, yeah. When that didn't work I tried using the rest of the team too, and it made zero difference.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just ground out a few levels until I could sacrifice most of my team and two-shot the boss with my two strongest units. Super annoying, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I last played (some of) 5 quite a while ago, but I don't remember enjoying the story and characters as much as I am here. It was fine, but I wasn't giggling my way through it. This feels like classic Disgaea in that respect. Did something change or is my memory of 5 just fuzzy?
5 is definitely not as comical as the rest of the series.