Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Deki posted:

I've been taking a break from the postgame but, the postgame has so few actual levels that it's criminal. You get a few rehashed D1 fights, then Baal, then Carnage.

I like the game but as a sequel to D5 it's a massive step down.

Yeah I was hoping for some postgame stuff that actually felt more like a postgame premise. The D1 stuff is fine but it also just feels no different from DLC scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

zzMisc posted:

I do like the fact that they changed the formula again. The introduction of auto-battle and complete removal of duping had a lot of ripple effects mechanically, and I felt like they dealt with them pretty well.

But yeah, in pretty much every other respect it feels like a kind of hollow shadow of 5. The first 10 or whatever chapters of the story, before the start of Act 2, really drives this home; it just does the "intro character, powerup character" thing more blatantly, even referencing it in the dialogue, but with way less memorable one-note characters. Act 2 on was better and fun though. But then the postgame is just nothing at all.

But it's still Disgaea, still enjoying it, now have 260 hours clocked though mostly from auto-battling every high-ranking rakshasa item to 9999. Life is too busy right now to really sit and play this constantly, but hey, now I don't have to.

It definitely doesn't help that you fight the same boss a million times. They make it work in the story but from a gameplay perspective it's just not satisfying. I understand that it's probably a limitation of the resources available to them and they had to make compromises but it is a bummer all the same.

I do feel like if they use the new engine and gameplay changes for an eventual Disgaea 7 they will be able to refine it into something fantastic. I have enjoyed 6 overall but it has definitely felt lacking in some aspects.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I appreciated how much mileage they could get out of reusing old sprites, especially wrt DLC for the oldest games. Sure they look a bit off, but in a charming way like with how dated Morrigan's sprite would eventually be in Capcom's crossover fighting games.

And heck one downside with the switch to 3d was that the DLC was more limited since they had to remake every single DLC character in 3d. After how comprehensive they got with the DLC roster in 5, it was a disappointment to see it so lacking in 6!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

New "Private Disgaea Academy" promo video confirms level cap in 7 will be 9999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzG1PsGQ_A

Thank goodness. I didn't have a beef with the idea of higher level caps but the way 6 handled it wasn't ideal.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having only the switch version in English during the initial release was real rough because every graphics option felt highly compromised. Do you want very janky framerates, graphics that look like vaseline was smeared over your switch, or a little of both?

At any rate I felt like 6 had a lot of growing pains from making the switch to 3d so it's good to hear that 7 fixed a bunch of issues. I can definitely understand the negative reaction because 5 was one of the best games and 6 was a clear downgrade unless you're big on the automation stuff they added.

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 8, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Also numbers immediately jumping into the millions just sort of made the numbers lose all sense. It’s one thing if I’m doing it at the end, but they start ramping up so quickly in 6 that it just doesn’t feel good?

Yeah, hitting level 100 after like, the first stage or two just meant that the higher numbers aren't actually meaningfully different. The leveling curve is the same there's just more zeros attached to it so it becomes more annoying to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caidin posted:

How's Switch performance, if anyone knows? D6 tended to run choppy.

It's not perfect but it's a huge step up from how D6 ran. Also there's a demo so you can see it in action for yourself.