Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I usually wait for the ultimate edition instead of buying DLC. It's normally cheaper to re-buy and includes a few QoL features and possibly a back-port of some features if a new one has come out since. Like I'd love a PS5 version but I don't expect Disagea 6 Ultimate to be out until 2023 at the earliest. probably more like 2024-2025.

New players should start with 5, then move to the 6 demo. From (it ends on the mission that unlocks the item world and everything ports). If you don't like the frame rate work backwards going to 4 / D2 (Disagaea D2 not Disgaea 2, they are very good at naming).

1 feels pretty grindy and lacks a lot of features the phone port is probably the best because they added auto battle (it's not as robust as 6's) anything other version is probably not worth the time investment beyond the story.
2 is still grindy but went very unique with the crime system and that never went anywhere else. It's worth it to experience how silly throwing a stack of people into a court room is instead of just the person that is supposed to attend.
3 is really where the game hit a stride and figured out what it really wanted to be. Everything has been building from here.

Honestly the framerate in 6 isn't horrible after a few seconds after the map loads in the item world the problem is that the AI can clear it before it finishes loading so it looks frozen for 500-800ms, this is the worst of them typically it's 100ms or so, then suddenly you get a cacophony of sound effects and everything is dead shortly after and you are loading again. Manually playing it really isn't bad. With auto you don't need to watch the screen so it ends up playing fine where it matters but you will notice animations dropping frames.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think D.I. has a lift command but I haven't looked at it much just running a pretty generic set of scripts and monitoring them. Getting that scripted would likely be a dedicated character and you'd want it walled behind like wait until turn 4 then because the map isn't complete start throwing people at the gate.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have no idea how to set up a D.I so I just ignore it

It's really simple once you get how to make a basic one I'll make a post when I get home and can screen shot it assuming that cool send pictures to your phone from the switch that I used in Monster Hunter is a system thing and not a game thing (that felt like a system menu that came up in game).

Basically though it comes up with the 3 things When Who What. You MUST answer all 3 questions in order

So first up you need a WHAT (2 arrows) then a WHO (enemies, allies, innocent) then a what or When (Another arrow branch, or something like attack or move towards). Note it will break and your characters will just end the turn if your branches have different targets at least if in range of special attacking innocent special attack innocent else special attack enemy broke them horribly any time an innocent was on the board.

Your basic is string is just
CONDITION - enemies - move - if in range or special attack - enemies special attack (under if in range end with enemies normal attack or just defend) -- I'm not sure this works if you run out of SP that might break it I'm hoping it falls over to the normal attack but honestly not sure after debugging the innocent part. Reddit mentioned a log someplace that helps debug but I didn't end up needing it after knowing it exists so I didn't bother to go looking for it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Weapon skills are gone. There are only class and magic skills.

Each non-magic class unlocks four skills via leveling at used to be weapon skills at the following levels:

Skill 1 Level 1
Skill 2 Level 200
Skill 3 Level 1200
Skill 4 Level 6000

If you wish to have fist and gun skills you need to have a monk and gunner.

Weapon proficiency is a thing (it's in the juice bar). Or are you just saying it's not tied to learning new skills and just some multiplier in a formula? I haven't had enough time to do any kind of dive into how the mechanics work yet myself and information is still really thin online. I was learning towards you don't learn skills this way in 6 from my experience so far.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This is my super basic DI script for my theif. Basically innocent > chest > Boss > Mystery Gate > Skip Gate

My other characters have an attack and move to enemies instead of the skip Gate and level orbs instead of chests.

Switch a few things as needed and you can get everything. Like the signs and other goodies should be going to whoever you are focusing on boosting.

You can also cram gates onto a single line by skipping attack and just defending. If you have both it gives you 1 more branch. My theif should be doing something elseand have single line gates.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 2, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lack of PS4 has me thinking they either have 7 lined up for PS5 and or a quick port of ultimate with all the dlc planned for PS5.

I have a feeling they may have thought by this time PS5 would have saturated the market and no one would want a PS4 game.

Either or both could be true. It's speculation, but I bet these models would look good on a PS5.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm not sure what caused it but I got some hella lag in the Dark Assembly bribing them. Was scrolling by holding down like I normally do on the misc to try and find likes because I never remember who likes what.

Switch responded to system menu calls game was playing music but not responding to any input. Took over 30 seconds to unfuck. So if you get this it should fix itself just let it sit. Going to go a bit slower on that menu now. It seemed more like it was stuck in a loop to be honest.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just wanna know how to get more Karma

I've hit 9,999 a number of times and getting only like 7k from super reincarnating. I'm not through the main story yet but still kinda shocking

You increase the cap per reincarnation with D-mertis check Characters > Status > D-Merts. You also get a ton of free Karma all of these are once per character. So claim them on each and every one.

You should get at least 1 Karma per level so if you hit 9999 and only got 7k I think you missed claiming a cap.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Halman posted:

Just started playing this today and performance mode makes me feel like my glasses are smudged up

Once you get used to it looking like you are playing the first one natively on a PS2 the game comes together and is a pretty streamlined fun entry. It really feels like it should have 1-2 more features. I don't miss pirating it was kind of annoying, but the item world just feels so sterile. I think they could have fixed this up by making floors over 100 just not have certain types of events. There's plenty to do but it feels like I'm going to the same few windows and in a normal Disgaea I'm ignoring half the features unsure of what to focus on, which is probably why I'm actually making a dent in content this time.

The more I play the more I want an ultimate with 2-3 features from other games ported in running at 1080p60

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 6, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I really wish I understood the progression leap in Disgaea 6 :smith:

I beat baal, I can get my dudes to level 300k in like a hour of doing other stuff, I boot up Carnage 1 and oh enemies are level 5,000? That seems fine. Literally the second map just punches me in the throat and tells me to go away.

Saw a guide on youtube and it was just 'yeah make the ultimate mage girl and have her grind this specific map here's how to do it' only for her to whiff every blow against the enemies he mentioned. It's just :argh:

I grabbed a rank 1 LoC item and started ripping that up then got enough level 100+ pot lids to deck an army and tackled a rank 4 until the emblem showed up as a bonus item chugged bonus juice and am now getting that leveled up.

enemies are around 120k to start and you want your guys around 80k. Just deep dive eventually more of whatever you are in will drop and more frequently the deeper you go it feels. Jump to a new one if you get one with a better rarity

Is it min max optimal? No but it is fun and you can feel / see progress. Jump to better emblems as you progress through them, you can always just look up what rank the next emblem is and target it with a bonus gauge in story carnage.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Get to floor 300-400 the next rarity will start to be semi common drops treasure mystery rooms are an excellent source.

Rarity of the item you are exploring seems to make a difference in what tier items you get.

The item god on every 100th floor will always have the next highest of the item you are in equipped. You can use a thief for a 25% chance to steal.

You can also start compounding the poo poo out of your innocents with the farm. Items get bonus stats for innocents in them at the time they level.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I enjoyed the story too, and post game comes together really nicely with auto play. I'm really liking the play cycle of check in between episodes of a netflix show either by playing undocked or if it needs a charge badly switching the HDMI input between episodes. 30 minutes at 32x speed is pretty significant progress towards whatever goal. Then you reincarnate and loop it again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Why are there so many particle effects on the red liquid that I guess is supposed to be blood flowing from the edge of the base map? You can barely see half that poo poo it's covered by the base and probably what makes this screen so laggy.

Did a project manager just shove their 2D expert team onto this game without adding anyone that knew how to optimize 3D? It's just disappointing to be so in love with a game that preforms so badly. Makes it hard to recommend.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 12, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

In settings you select which battle group is your auto battle group, then within that you press select on the X-menu > character menu to turn it on and off.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

way better way to get HL damage to money you will get so much. Just slot it in, it is not effected by any HL gain bonuses but is by damage. Come get quintillions of HL per map and have juice be your problem not money.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It feels like when a big game with a ton of expansions releases a sequel. (Civ, The Sims, I'm sure there's more) it feels bare bones and like there's intentionally places left for other ideas that worked before.

If they keep using the same engine refine the performance and go back to every 2 years per title this is a good baseline. I have fun but the content postgame content very much feel lacking. An expansion on a Disgaea would be absolutely silly but if they can make the numbers go higher maybe? I'm thinking they'd just call it 7 and write up a new story.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

zzMisc posted:

The Damage Reward evility on a mage casting Elemental Burst. Make Elemental Burst as strong as your mana allows. Repeat a level that she can finish in one shot. Use the 1-slot evility that boosts damage against whatever enemy type you're grinding on.

Edit: Whoops, the whole point of Elemental Burst is that it always costs your max SP, regardless of how strong it is.

It always uses 100% of your SP, you do damage based the stat NOT your SP, you do do damage based on the percentage of SP you have. There's another evility that is critical that you get an SP refund for doing damage this should completely fill your SP back up ideally. SP is a bad stat for a mage.

e:
If that feels cheap / like cheating damage to HL evility works fine on any character (you can clear the game in under 150hours abusing this and taking your sweet time I would imagine you could do it in under 100 hours if you planned it out).

I always play Disgaea with whatever feels fun to me, which is why I rarely make it too far in LoC. Some stuff is just very much not fun and I'd rather run the item world for 50 hours than navigate menus to pass bills for 10 hours to achieve the same thing. One is fun the other isn't.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

That evility, like many others, is just a random reincarnation reward too isn't it? So you just keep reincarnating over and over until someone gets it and you can then scroll it to whomever?

You can just buy all of them shove them in the club / group whatever it's called that gives you more evilities on reincarnation and scoop up 4 per. If you purchase all of them it takes like 10-20 rebirths until you have them all and start earning extract per reincarnation. You can stop at that point, because you have all of them. Then you scroll it out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

25% is cap they nerfed steal and honestly the game feels short even without stealing a single thing. Short compared to a normal Disgaea you'll still probably get 100hours or more if you want to do all the post game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

kloa posted:

Any word on it coming to PS4 (or heck, PC :lol:)? Really don't want to play this at 15 fps

I honestly would expect them to skip that entirely in the west and jump right into an ultimate edition in a year or two that bundles the DLC into the base game and is released for PS5 and PC.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mayveena posted:

I should actually get back to it on the Switch. I don't need any more PC games, I actually need more games I can play from my couch.

What if, now hear me out... gaming laptop

Now to wait for it to drop to $20, because I pre-ordered it on Switch and I''m not paying full again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Sean posted:

I haven't looked in years but a gaming laptop has to be expensive as gently caress, right?

When I priced one end of last year, it was cheaper to get a laptop than to build a desktop. No one was using Laptop GPUs to mine. Since crypto just crashed videocard prices should be more sane. Overall laptops were not effected by the crypto mining just desktops. I paid $1200 on black friday for a R5 5800H and RTX 3070 mobile with 16GB of RAM. 32GB wasn't allowed in the bundle (I'd have been bumped to full price and $2000+ was outside my budget) and this is 2x8GB with 1 soldered. This is never going to run 32GB.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 27, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You happen to have a razer tartarus v2 or other gaming keypad? It's basically the left half of a keyboard and a thumbstick. That thumbstick is presented as a controller with a stick and no buttons. While I'm waiting on Disgaea that thing has caused so many issues with games going this is player 1! Nippon Ichi seems like exactly the type of company to just detect the first controller and declare it player 1. Just not something they'd think about and it's a giant mess to untangle that would have been 10 minutes at the start of the project.

Any other controllers, even disconnected ones? I think it was PSO2 that detected disconnected controllers as player 1 so you had to uninstall them.

None of this is tied to Disgaea 6 yet but it's dumb poo poo other games have done that you can check for.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mayveena posted:

The $70 includes all the character DLC and the recolor DLC. And of course the upgraded graphics. $50 n Switch was only the base game.

Normally their complete editions are priced at the base game price though. This is the first to get a price bump. They might be hurting for cash, they publicly traded?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

Huh, is this one of the faster turnarounds before another sequel? I still haven't touched 6 myself but it doesn't seem that old.

1-5 were all around a 2 year gap with an ultimate / mobile edition released the year between.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PC release has typically been at the 1 year point (since they started porting to PC) and included all DLC. Debating PS4 or wait on PC myself.

Really the one year release should be the Switch version complete with DLC (it's a mobile console) and PC released along with that to complete the PS2 / PSP tradition they started.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If it's not running at 10fps it should be okay without autobattle honestly most of my time was in reincarnation menus at max speed anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Thanks for the heads up zzMisc.

I've been meaning to give the non-Disgaea srpgs from NIS a try. I hear they're pretty good.

NISA also localizes a bunch of stuff NIS doesn't make. Some pretty interesting non RPG titles in there. Birthdays the Beginning is certainly interesting (it's of the planet / evolution simulation genre) it's rather niche so maybe watch a video make sure it's for you but it's currently $4 so not a massive loss if it's not for you. Like it really is a simulation there's some speed up currency you get as a reward for doing some things but it's mostly about building a world and seeing what creatures you get to evolve.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 19, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Deki posted:

The whole "Turn the game into an idler" endgame sucked so bad.

D6 was such a whiff

And yet it really needed that because everything else missed so hard. I'm not sure I could have completed the story without it it preformed so poorly on the Switch. It screamed nothing is polished this was shoved out the door. We're seeing more of 7 than we did of 6 so I'm feeling hopeful they are back on form.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I feel like every game I can get into massive debt with deaths if I just throw things at the wall. Almost all your problems are "problems" with the early game in most Disgaea games. The most recent ones have kind of started at the post game level of insane stats but traditionally they played as pretty straight strategy RPGs with a level cap of 100 for the story line. You break all of this when you go deep into the item world and start loving with that.

If you didn't do much of the item world you are probably just used to being way over leveled.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least through Disgaea 5, there was always a story stage where you could boost enemy levels so they'd be level 99, and level 99 gave as much xp as a level 500(?) enemy so you could very easily go past level 100 in the main story of the games if you wanted to.

You can play most of the games without repeating any stages with the named characters and natural XP. It usually requires you to actually learn to position and kite things but it's doable in all the ones I tried it in.

If you are intentionally farming in a min/maxes way you aren't playing a normal straight game without whacky numbers you're breaking the core game experience. I mean the actual core experience of this is breaking he game so you are supposed to.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Wow, no "complete" edition in a year? NIS must be hurting bad, then.

Edit: Ah, Disgaea's Wano arc. I guess Disgaea 8 will be "The End of Evangelion One Piece Disgaea" then?

They never announce the complete ahead of time. It just bundles all the DLC so it's really not that difficult to make later at this point either.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I'm kinda shellshocked at the price for the ultimate bundle.

They typically charge $60 for the complete DLC pack on top of the $60 for the game, re-releases normally include all this DLC for free but it's just more characters. Not like they are locking an expanded itemworld or something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Hm, well, now that I think on it, even though I do not like to pass up side story content I think I will pass on the DLC stuff for now.

It's extra characters often with powerful passive you can abuse.

Most of it is just I like this character from a previous game I want them in this one.

Some will enable you to break the game in new ways, but the entire post game is about breaking the game what's 3 more?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

6 felt unfinished like they had to get it out the door to keep the lights on, they also clearly learned a good bit since 6 was the first 3D game it's entirely possible they realized they coded themselves into a problem and the only real fix was a complete overhaul so they shipped the mess out the door to fund 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Deki posted:

Barring a last minute villain shakeup (I'm about halfway through the campaign) I'm lolling that the big bad in this game is basically America.

I didn't get much time to play last night, got to chapter 2 and that was exactly where I thought they were going.