Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is probably my favorite Star Trek movie...

But Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is the best.

https://i.imgur.com/Qi14EZ9.mp4

EDIT:

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

New thread title because as wonderful as "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" is, "THE VOYAGE HOME: Star Trek IV" is even better!

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The Purest of the Star Trek Movies
A lot's been said about this breakout smash for the Star Trek movies over the years since its release, including the common misconception that Star Trek IV represents a major departure for the series. On the contrary, 'The Voyage Home' may well be the most purely "Star Trek" of all the films: our heroes are on a mission specifically to seek out new lifeforms in a strange civilization using teamwork, logic, crazy technology, wits, and a little bit of Kirk swagger to solve galaxy-threatening problems and learn a little something in the process, all while boldly going where no one (certainly in the 23rd century) had gone before.

What's also great is that rather than becoming dated, the movie only gets funnier over the years. It used to be "the crew time travels to the present day." Now the plot is "the crew time travels to the 80s!"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

(https://ew.com/article/2016/05/20/star-trek-iv-voyage-home-leonard-nimoy/)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is pure, joyful cinema
There’s no obvious comparison in movie history for Star Trek: the Voyage Home, not many time travel message movies about family and friends and the fear that we’re all doomed because of sins in the past, and how that fear will always crash like waves against the shore of the eternal human hope that it’s not too late, that we can change.

But there is that famous story about heavenly visitors and time travel, a myth about how any person can change a dark-sad future into a happy-better one, a parable that argues that the great heroic act of existence is being an engaged part of a community. So maybe The Voyage Home is our new A Christmas Carol. Maybe Ebenezer Scrooge can save Tiny Tim; maybe the Earth isn’t doomed; maybe, in 2286, whales will still be swimming through oceans unrisen; maybe our descendants will be here, too, in this world someone saved for them. Probe bless us, every one.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/azula/status/1006954105670119424

I think we all know who to thank for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdgD-LQ2hc

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Star Trek: Whale Movie is indeed the best.

Reasons why:

• time travel
  • they fly a cool klingon ship instead of lame fed ship
  • has little to do with any of the other movies
  • whales
  • more i forgot

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 3, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Fun fact: Star Trek IV had the biggest box office debut of 1986, grossing $25,402,366 over Thanksgiving weekend.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Star Trek IV's most serious, darkest moment goes by so quickly you don't even realize it at first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0S0ZJCLhs&t=399s

quote:

Gillian : What are you talking about? I'm coming with you.

Kirk : You can't. Our next stop is the 23rd Century.

Gillian : Well, I don't care. I've got nobody here. I have got to help those whales!

One of the movie's triumphs is how it handles the character of Gillian Taylor. A lesser film would have made her a self-pitying bookworm who loves whales because she doesn't have the social skills to make human connections, and then falls in love with Admiral Kirk who helps her realize her self-worth by whisking her and the whales away on a fantastic sci-fi adventure and they live happily ever after.

But in Star Trek IV, Gillian is a badass. She's utterly selfless, committed her life to helping others ("sucker for hard-luck cases"), sees right through Kirk's bullshit, slaps her idiot co-worker, and eventually saves the whales and the entire planet! That the 20th century has no place for such a person and considers her to be a "loser" is such a damning indictment on modern society.

Oh, and the cherry on top is at the end when we see that Gillian's been playing Kirk as much as he's been playing her:

To the friend zone you go, Kirk!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Star Trek IV's most serious, darkest moment goes by so quickly you don't even realize it at first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0S0ZJCLhs&t=399s

BTW, is this the only time Kirk actually says "Scotty, beam me up?"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I haven't seen this one! I got to the end of "Search for Spock" and thought "That's probably enough original Star Trek movies for now"!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

josh04 posted:

I haven't seen this one! I got to the end of "Search for Spock" and thought "That's probably enough original Star Trek movies for now"!

If you recall the "stealing the Enterprise" sequence in that one, The Voyage Home pretty much hits that same vibe and runs with it for the entire movie, so that might help you gauge how well you'll jibe with the flick.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
As a kid, this was one of my favorite films and the only Star Trek film we had on VHS.

I should buy a 4k version of it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

A double dumb rear end on you!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

wdarkk posted:

As a kid, this was one of my favorite films and the only Star Trek film we had on VHS.

I should buy a 4k version of it.

I don't think any of the original Star Trek movies are actually available in 4K yet (maybe on digital?)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I was always dissapointed that the TNG movies never tried something silly like this. There's plenty of fun you could have had with the TNG crew in the 90s.

Like Worf and Data wind up watching a slasher movie, Data is confused and spends to movie trying to understand why people find the films entertaining. Worf of the other hand is extremely offended, it turns outs killing an enemy while he's having sex is a huge no-no in Klingon culture.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Star Trek Insurrection suddenly made a lot more sense to me when I learned that one of their goals early in production was indeed "Star Trek IV for the TNG cast." Though it's a bit odd because First Contact was already pretty much a cross between Star Trek IV and Aliens (coincidentally the other big sci-fi hit of 1986).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The Wrath of Khan is still a better movie, and a better Star Trek story, than The Voyage Home

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
II was the best serious Trek and IV was the best fun romp Trek.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

David D. Davidson posted:

I was always dissapointed that the TNG movies never tried something silly like this. There's plenty of fun you could have had with the TNG crew in the 90s.

Voyager went to the 90's. It was..... It was the 90's.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Animal-Mother posted:

Voyager went to the 90's. It was..... It was the 90's.

Janeway in a power suit... Yeah, there was just no other way that was going to go, was there?

EDIT Beltran looking like discount rack Miami Vice, poor bastard.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Can’t be. The 90s would be a ravaged hellscape of the Eugenics War

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

This scene is one where they got lucky in-universe that they didn't get blended together into some abomination by the transporter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Somewhere on a BBS in 1985-86 there is some nerd furious that Star Trek would dare do a goofy romp of a movie and on that BBS someone is digitally pimp-slapping him by reminding him about 1930s Gangster Planet on TOS.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Star Trek Insurrection suddenly made a lot more sense to me when I learned that one of their goals early in production was indeed "Star Trek IV for the TNG cast." Though it's a bit odd because First Contact was already pretty much a cross between Star Trek IV and Aliens (coincidentally the other big sci-fi hit of 1986).
The people running the TNG movies were incompetent as all gently caress hth

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I agree. Almost every single Trek movie is so dense with fan service that they're borderline unwatchable unless you've seen and enjoyed enough of the series' to 'get it'. The Voyage Home and - maybe even moreso - First Contact do a lot of work to be accessible and maybe even endearing to the casual viewers.

This is an angle I hadn't considered but you're absolutely right. A huge point in the movie's favour.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I want to thank the subtitles for including "YOU POMPOUS rear end!" I never noticed it before.

Speaking of which, am I crazy or did the Klingon ambassador go from being a taller black dude in Star Trek 4 to a short fat white dude in Star Trek 6 despite being the same actor?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I am weirdly obsessed with seeing even just a screencap of the opening credits for the European theatrical version of the film that went by the title "THE VOYAGE HOME: Star Trek IV." My understanding is that all home video releases (barring maybe the very first VHS) had it changed back to the original title.

I'm sure it looks exactly the same just with the main and subtitles switched around, but like the Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (sans "II") prints and the original 70mm cut of The Empire Strikes Back", there's just something spooky and alluring about lost media.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Star Trek 4 is necessary both as a lighter counterpoint to the heavy stories told by the other movies, and as a representation of the comedy episodes that are very much part of TOS's legacy.

David D. Davidson posted:

Like Worf and Data wind up watching a slasher movie, Data is confused and spends to movie trying to understand why people find the films entertaining. Worf of the other hand is extremely offended, it turns outs killing an enemy while he's having sex is a huge no-no in Klingon culture.

It's tragic that the TNG writers were never good at comedy because that cast could have loving killed if they'd been allowed to.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's tragic that the TNG writers were never good at comedy because that cast could have loving killed if they'd been allowed to.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Humpback to the Future

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's time we made a Star Trek 4 Episode 2.

That's right I'm talking about.... star trek eight.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

This film may also have the only whale chase scene in cinematic history.

This is one of the most satisfying moments of the movie for me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Expired Vitamin posted:

The Entperprise-A reveal still gets a bigger pop though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Expired Vitamin posted:

The broken Finnish spoken by the crewmen on the whaling vessel always makes me laugh.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Expired Vitamin posted:

The 1956 technicolor Moby Dick had a genuine whale chase scene. As a kid I thought "Wow, special effects were pretty good in the 50's, those look like real whales being killed." :(

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I recall Leonard Nimoy once saying he was never sure whether the trippy time travel sequence was a success or not. Speaking only for myself, I always enjoyed the haunting abstract sights and sounds that hit that "we are through the looking glass" vibe of passing through temporal dimensions.

Nimoy may be right in that I don't really see this moment get brought up in discussion all that much, but regardless I think it was well worth the attempt at doing something that's still really unique for this series.

Also, they were thinking of making it even weirder:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I think what really sells the time travel acid trip sequence is the final shot of a pond accompanied by a giant crashing sound. It hits that sweet spot of being conspicuously incongruous while also not coming off just random or inexplicable, it makes you want to find some meaning to it.

It's striking that it's a concrete image; you could argue it may not even be part of the vision at all. Somehow I always got the impression we were witnessing the sonic boom heard around the world when their ship goes to warp while still in Earth skies. Though going by the script, the decision to pair the pond image with the bang sound effect at the end must have been made during editing:

pre:
   66   TIME TRAVEL SEQUENCE - SUBJECTIVE - ILM         66

We are inside Kirk's MIND as we see a series of hypnot-
   ic dream images floating up from Kirk's subconscious;
   undulating figures which float toward us and pass...
   Liquid faces... amorphous figures... images of Kirk's
   shipmates in semi-transparent ghostly shapes -- aging
   and regressing. Kirk's image of himself running toward
   himself... underwater looking up at a sunlight-dappled
   surface... gently waving strands of reeds at an
   abstract shoreline... disembodied voices, sounds and
   music add to the hypnotic effect. And then...

A WHOOSHING ROAR begins to mount and grow louder until
   it climaxes with a terrible BANG! And we:

CUT TO:

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

The 1956 technicolor Moby Dick had a genuine whale chase scene. As a kid I thought "Wow, special effects were pretty good in the 50's, those look like real whales being killed." :(

I still can't believe I didn't think of it. I guess there are twice as many whale chases as I originally thought.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I recall Leonard Nimoy once saying he was never sure whether the trippy time travel sequence was a success or not. Speaking only for myself, I always enjoyed the haunting abstract sights and sounds that hit that "we are through the looking glass" vibe of passing through temporal dimensions.

Nimoy may be right in that I don't really see this moment get brought up in discussion all that much, but regardless I think it was well worth the attempt at doing something that's still really unique for this series.

Also, they were thinking of making it even weirder:

The storyboarded version makes me think of the ending of The Black Hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFv9ZRAqG1s&t=157s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Expired Vitamin posted:

Besides 1956 technicolor Moby Dick, what about the Free Willy movies?