Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I honestly think this was the best of the online GDQs

I agree. They were still fine tuning the format for the first one after likely setting it up on pretty short notice. AGDQ 2021 was also good but I give this one the edge because the runs as a whole seemed better.

I wonder if they'd be amenable to some kind of online component once the in-person GDQs resume. The streaming format seems like it makes some kinds of content a lot easier to display: things like Maimai that need a lot of physical equipment, runners who wouldn't normally be able to make it to the regular GDQ location, it definitely seemed like races became a lot more prevalent once you didn't need to get everyone in the same place and races are always pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I would very much like it if they could accept some offsite runs for GDQ in the future. I would understand if the technical headaches of remote AND in person setup would make that not worthwhile, but things like the Dancerush exhib would likely never have happened for an in-person GDQ and it was amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Didn't we just discuss this like 10 pages ago? General consensus was "mixing online and local would be too complicated".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't we just discuss this like 10 pages ago? General consensus was "mixing online and local would be too complicated".

And also would mess with the energy of the in-person component

It is a shame because the online format is so much more accessible for runners so you get a much more representative set of people taking part.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Maybe they’ll spin online off into a third yearly event ?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

And also would mess with the energy of the in-person component

It is a shame because the online format is so much more accessible for runners so you get a much more representative set of people taking part.

For that reason I really think it should stay online. It makes it possible for a wider range of people to submit and participate, who otherwise might not have due to cost, time, or similar circumstances. Kind of like how online tournaments are going away so the FGC is going back to just being people who live in NYC/LA/Tokyo etc

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Or maybe even like, content that airs 5 nights a week 50 weeks out of the year.

Next week has some cool stuff with a night dedicated to a "bonus stream" and another for backup runs that didn't get used

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That comparison feels a little disingenuous

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

802.11weed posted:

Maybe they’ll spin online off into a third yearly event ?

i mean, the gdq channel is active year-round and holds small events almost constantly. and trying to do a third week-long marathon on top of that + sgdq and agdq would be really pushing it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

site posted:

That comparison feels a little disingenuous

Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it disingenuous

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Flesnolk posted:

Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it disingenuous

I feel like comparing random weekly shows with a marathon than gets tens of thousands a views 24 hours a day for a week straight to be a little disingenuous, yeah

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

site posted:

I feel like comparing random weekly shows with a marathon than gets tens of thousands a views 24 hours a day for a week straight to be a little disingenuous, yeah

they also aren't gonna do a third yearly week-long marathon, and if they did it would not be getting anywhere near as many views, so it's a moot point either way

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean, the gdq channel is active year-round and holds small events almost constantly. and trying to do a third week-long marathon on top of that + sgdq and agdq would be really pushing it.

Yeah as a spectator I don’t think I quite have the enthusiasm for a third annual week long event. But maybe one of the existing ones could be remote? Or the first 3 days of one, just to fit in the marathon runners who can’t/don’t want to travel?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bartolimu posted:

I missed most of GDQ because I was too busy, but watched most of today. What should I go back and watch in VODs?

themightybill's solo Arcade run of Streets of Rage 4 was amazing. Mania difficulty is incredibly hard and he destroyed about 99% of it while on a sliver of health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdk_XOYV7Jg

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah as a spectator I don’t think I quite have the enthusiasm for a third annual week long event. But maybe one of the existing ones could be remote? Or the first 3 days of one, just to fit in the marathon runners who can’t/don’t want to travel?

turning one of the existing events into an online event would seriously kneecap it and crater its donations compared with the other event, and neither gdq deserves that. especially as gdq is as much a way to meet up with a bunch of your online friends as anything.

the best compromise would be to have an 'online block', but as has been discussed, that's a lot to ask of the tech team and would have other issues fitting in with gdq.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Next week has some cool stuff with a night dedicated to a "bonus stream" and another for backup runs that didn't get used
I really like the Hotfix content personally, but let’s be honest with ourselves here: The Hotfix shows don’t have remotely the same hype, anticipation, build-up, or viewership of the AGDQ/SGDQ Online marathons. It’s understandable if GDQ doesn’t have the bandwidth to do a huge third online marathon, but it’s also understandable for viewers/fans to be disappointed that the big SGDQ/AGDQ caliber hype for online stuff might not recur post-Covid.

One oddity with Hotfix is just how hard it is find out what’s going to be on ahead of time. On the website, I can’t even find a list of what games they’re showing this week, only the very broad outlines of “Wednesday is for a run that’s never been on GDQ” or “Saturday is some kind of RPG (Tina guesses?)”.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 11, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

they also aren't gonna do a third yearly week-long marathon, and if they did it would not be getting anywhere near as many views, so it's a moot point either way

I mean, the technical challenges involved and strain on staff are a good enough reason, lovely as it is. I just found the response to the argument of the online version being much more inclusionary being, well twitch as a platform exists, go watch something else to be a little :jerkbag:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Hotfix is usually very US-centric with its schedule so it's hard to see live, but I have enjoyed some of it - like the King's Quest series relay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggR4hDeCgXc&hd=1

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MagusofStars posted:

I really like the Hotfix content personally, but let’s be honest with ourselves here: The Hotfix shows don’t have remotely the same hype, anticipation, build-up, or viewership of the AGDQ/SGDQ Online marathons. It’s understandable if GDQ doesn’t have the bandwidth to do a huge third online marathon, but it’s also understandable for viewers/fans to be disappointed that the big SGDQ/AGDQ caliber hype for online stuff might not recur post-Covid.

Also, let's be honest, nobody is going to let someone install and uninstall hardware on a working arcade machine in an arcade for GDQ Hotfix. Some of the runs can only happen for an actual main GDQ event.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think it's perfectly valid to be upset that the online format is going away and can't be readily adapted to the in-person format. It was always inevitable that they were going to go back to live when situations permitted - the in-person events simply draw more eyes and more money, and probably aren't as much of a technical tightrope to walk - but you do invariably lose out on being able to have unique runs like Meimei, or having foreign runners who otherwise can't afford the time or money needed to make their way to the States for the event.

It's probably fair to say that, if there were some way to get an acceptable compromise, the GDQ staff would pursue it, but the technical hurdles are likely too significant to have it make sense for the event going forwards, and I'm not sure the donator and viewer base can actually hold up a fully remote event in addition to the live event.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Looks like they just squeaked over $2.9M with post-show donations. I think that puts it third behind SGDQ19 ($3.09M) and AGDQ20 ($3.16M). I was going to make an argument about how much more the live shows haul in but honestly they didn't do bad at all, despite the tricks they had to pull go get that last incentive.

I'd still love some drat pinball in the rotation from one of the big museums streamed from say Pacific Pinball or Lyon's Classic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Asking for more GDQ during the year makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJPc7esgvsA

But in seriousness, much like Christmas (for those who love it), it wouldn't be AS special if it was more frequent.

I'm thankful that there are 2x a year as it is. Can't wait for the live shows again (that I will watch, from home).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SeXReX posted:

"Why are you disappointed you couldn't play in the Euro cup? There are football games on at your local park all the time."

You know this isn't the same thing. Everyone's acknowledged that a permanent online event on the scale of GDQ isn't really feasible, but it's fair to lament the loss of the accessibility and variety that online events allow for.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MagusofStars posted:

One oddity with Hotfix is just how hard it is find out what’s going to be on ahead of time. On the website, I can’t even find a list of what games they’re showing this week, only the very broad outlines of “Wednesday is for a run that’s never been on GDQ” or “Saturday is some kind of RPG (Tina guesses?)”.

fwiw a lot of the time this is because they don't actually precisely know until like maybe a couple of days beforehand depending on how well they've got it planned out

source: me, I know a showrunner.

Anyway I also want online stuff to continue for the completely selfish reason that flying to america costs a shitton of money and I don't value the con experience enough to want to pay that for the privilege of playing a video game at a speedrun event. like I'll do it if I have to, but I don't want to, I'd rather do literally anything else with that money.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

fwiw a lot of the time this is because they don't actually precisely know until like maybe a couple of days beforehand depending on how well they've got it planned out

source: me, I know a showrunner.

I feel like this might possibly be related to the low viewership. If the GDQs didn't have a schedule they probably wouldn't even pull in half the viewership numbers

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Had a great time watching this GDQ! I made a bunch of art for it because I like to do that.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1414354122824982540

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This blindfolded Mario 64 run is some arcane bullshit. How? How??

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tayter Swift posted:

Looks like they just squeaked over $2.9M with post-show donations. I think that puts it third behind SGDQ19 ($3.09M) and AGDQ20 ($3.16M). I was going to make an argument about how much more the live shows haul in but honestly they didn't do bad at all, despite the tricks they had to pull go get that last incentive.

I'd still love some drat pinball in the rotation from one of the big museums streamed from say Pacific Pinball or Lyon's Classic.

I think it's worth factoring in that the last two live shows happened in a much more precarious economic state for a lot of folks than this one, particularly in the US.

I'd definitely love an overnight one night to be the online block or something, showing off the runs that can't be shown live on stage from around the world, but I understand that that probably is a big technical pain in the rear end.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

YggiDee posted:

Have you gotten to the bonus at the end? Stay to the end. Oh you think you saw it to the end but you really need to stay to the end. Stay until the fwip fwip back to the main GDQ screen.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

You have already answered it in your own question as the runner is actually a wizard.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Did anyone do a good 'must see' list of runs? I couldn't watch any of this live but get to hunker down now and catch up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PageMaster posted:

Did anyone do a good 'must see' list of runs? I couldn't watch any of this live but get to hunker down now and catch up.
I'll be compiling recommendations in the second post of the thread so if anyone has any more that hasn't been mentioned in the last about 10 pages, go ahead and post.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As a causal viewer I don't feel there is much difference between online and normal GDQ, apart from not being able to see an audience.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I thought past these years watching GDQ and various speedrunning events I'd already seen everything, but now I'm watching this Maimai run

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

As a causal viewer I don't feel there is much difference between online and normal GDQ, apart from not being able to see an audience.

There isn't that much until the end and then you can definitely feel it. When GDQ first got above 3 million a lot of that was helped by the energy of the crowd.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Welp, back to the real world after 8 days working as part of the SGDQ on-site crew (plus hosting, head donations, and filming the pre-show). Wish I was able to post here more, but nearly all my shifts were all jam packed and the rest of my time was spent hanging with the rest of the crew now that it's safe to do that.

One thing I do want to mention is that we did discuss the logistics of bringing in remote runners if AGDQ 2022 is in-person. I'm not GDQ staff or part of the games committee myself (so do not take this as definitive in any way), but it is something a lot of us believe is possible if find the right workflow.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oasx posted:

As another casual viewer, I personally feel that there is a huge difference. Seeing shots of the runner, couch, and crowd make you feel like you're part of something, and the ability of runners, commentators, and hosts to play off of each other is generally better in person.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy SGDQ. I did. I just prefer watching the in-person events.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

One thing I do want to mention is that we did discuss the logistics of bringing in remote runners if AGDQ 2022 is in-person. I'm not GDQ staff or part of the games committee myself (so do not take this as definitive in any way), but it is something a lot of us believe is possible if find the right workflow.

This is good to hear! I think rather than jump between two different styles, maybe start off GDQ with remote runs, maybe for the first couple of days, and then make the full switch over to live for the rest. Maybe that could work?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

TheMadMilkman posted:

As another casual viewer, I personally feel that there is a huge difference. Seeing shots of the runner, couch, and crowd make you feel like you're part of something, and the ability of runners, commentators, and hosts to play off of each other is generally better in person.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy SGDQ. I did. I just prefer watching the in-person events.

Absolutely. As someone who's been on site, it feels very different having a crowd physically there that reacts to whats going on. There were quite a few memes during the event that could have gotten a lot bigger with a crowd (i.e. Rayman's YEAH! at the end of every stage). Plus it's a lot easier to communicate backstage among multiple groups simultaneously.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is good to hear! I think rather than jump between two different styles, maybe start off GDQ with remote runs, maybe for the first couple of days, and then make the full switch over to live for the rest. Maybe that could work?

In my personal opinion, something like that would throw off the energy of the marathon. We'd absolutely want to do the preshow, charity introduction, and first run live on stage for our first in-person event. What some of the crew were thinking is that it would be a standalone run in the schedule, but before a run that requires a lot of setup so the stage is free. We'll see what the games committee throws our way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Glad to hear staff is considering it at least