Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I had a lot of fun with EotB (mostly the first one) but to this day i can't say i understand why the ancient evil feels a party of four third-level nobodies is enough to give any kind of shits about, nor why this manifests as trapping them on the inside.

(Nor why Waterdeep wouldn't spring for better-quality adventurers if they are supposed to face an ancient evil.)

girl dick energy posted:

Can you say what's different about the maps, and/or put them side-by-side? I spent several minutes scrolling up and down between them trying to compare.

This work better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Are those "special quests" hinted at in any way or form or are you just expected to luck into them?

A couple of them are... sort of signposted. But a lot of them are extremely random.

Buy more guides, etc.

Simply Simon posted:

Even a throwing weapon? If I understood it correctly, this dagger is not for stabbing?

Even so, it's, like, the best throwing weapon in the game.

quote:

Does the changing map thing mean that you randomly and without indication delete hallways you might have passed through before if you go somewhere else in the dungeon?

Without indication, but not randomly. It basically makes it so whichever direction you go in at the start becomes the way forward and the one you neglected a side area.

Libluini posted:

OK, this game looks a lot better then I expected. Also the combat seems to be in the same engine as the exploration?

Yeah, it's "sort of real time" exploration and combat, you just click on a weapon to swing it, and then it has a small cooldown before it can be swung again.

quote:

I now feel compelled to go see if GOG has the series available.

They certainly do.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate this game's restraint in not having Elminster be relevant, he already pokes his pointy hat into way too many people's business as it is.

Alpha3KV posted:

Since I intend to make some edits anyway, do you mind if I use that GIF? I'll give credit of course.

By all means go ahead! No need for credit either, i just copypasted the images you posted into a gif editor.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

something awful is coming from under Waterdeep

wait poo poo

where did you put the servers Jeffrey

where did you put the servers

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

I find the last dagger carving. Inserting the dagger completes the special quest, which drops rations at each carving.

Huh, don't know if i ever noticed this happening. Given how many of them there are scattered across the dungeon i probably just figured i missed them before if i ran into any newly spawned ones. :downs:

sb hermit posted:

If you use magic daggers (including the Guinsoo) to solve the puzzle, they suffice to solve the riddle but you lose them entirely.

As it should be.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't remember spinner tiles being a big deal in these games - generally it's pretty easy to spot when you're being spun (in places they make it incredibly obvious by putting a thing on the ground so you can't miss that something happened) and they give you a compass. It's some minor fuckery, but easy enough to get around.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

In the hallway is another instance of that beloved mechanic, rotating tiles. I was facing south before this. After this is a room with a key followed by another hallway that does this.

IIRC if you just walk normally here, you actually get spun around in time to see the door close behind you. This is why i remember spinny tiles being a non-issue in these games. It is so blatantly obvious what's happening, even without the "dizzy" note.

Game really likes its enchanted daggers! I don't think i ever used them much out of fear of yeeting them into a pit or something where i couldn't get them back though so i guess that balanced out nicely in the end. :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's a +3 axe and a +3 ring in one update, and you're what, level 6? EotB throws some pretty high-level gear at you for the general power level of the PCs. I can't really complain though, since finding it always feels great...

There's been a few mentions of difficulty spikes in the thread and i haven't really agreed with them, but this? This is the difficulty spike. You won't have cure poison at this point even as a single-classed cleric and if you don't find enough potions to cover your needs, it can get real hairy when you can't even replenish your healing and slow poison spells (if you even thought to memorize those to begin with) without losing a character. It's definitely one of the deadliest sections in the game given how limited your resources are when you get here.

Also, this is also one of the few secret quests you're more likely than not to stumble into even completely by accident, since all it requires is clicking the unusual thing in front of you. It kind of feels like they put it in so they could be sure the player knew there was something up.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

wafflemoose posted:

Also, on a side note I think Cleric/Thief is of the weirdest multiclasses you can do in DND. you've got a healer who also steals stuff? I just have this mental imagine of a robed priest just going around pickpocketing people for alms money.

Sorry but all i can hear is "amazing roleplaying potential" :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The pantry is another one of those secret quests that are kind of obvious.

I love how you have to go through several levels before they give you an option to resurrect people. It's so oldschool rpg :allears:

...I didn't even remember that there were cursed weapons here, dang.

Voted A. Normally i'm all for exploiting the game for all it's worth, it won't show you any mercy and should be treated in kind, but it feels kind of cheap to start a gimmick run (that takes several levels to even get going!) only to postpone it even more because it's less optimal?

Also there are no tactics in this game more overpowered than "find a 2x2 room, lead enemies in circle" and you have access to that from day 1. :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Poor Anya, so strong, so dumb. Doesn't sound like she has 5 int, though, so i guess she's doing all right! You know, other than the whole dying bit.

I don't think i ever brought either of these two, given at this point Thagor exists and plugs a front row slot well enough, the party is probably decently ahead in levels compared to Anya, and more than one thief is kind of pointless.

Alpha3KV posted:

Resurrected characters start with no items.

Their bones tend to appear around some gear that they were presumably holding when they died, though. I don't remember Anya but Tod definitely comes next to some lockpicks for instance.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Look thieves are good luck charms and excellent scapegoats when something goes wrong and it's not like the middle row is going to accomplish much until they invent long-range polearms in the third game anyway. Uphold tradition, you anarchist :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Mid-boss is too grand of a title for Wordy Cloak Guy. He's just some :jerkbag: idiot.

Also goddamn i don't think Cone of Cold could even do as little 2 damage. Unless Anya's just too dense to notice when she's cold :v:

Anya for EotB3

I'm sure the chieftain halberd is very good but i don't think i ever used it because what about my dual wielding???

wafflemoose posted:

You got rid of the clerics...how are you going to heal besides potions and spending weeks resting?

It's not as if time matters, though. Just go make some tea while you wait.

achtungnight posted:

It's surprising the average player character can identify a kenku egg so readily. How do we know it's not something else?

The level is full of kenku though. It's not a guess completely out of nowhere.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well if you leave the eggs in the nest, the drow were like 10 steps away from them AND you've probably killed all the adult kenku so the chicks would starve anyway. Is certain death preferable to slavery? :iiam:

Actually probably yes if you're enslaved by drow

These elves... have moustaches! :moustache: They're not supposed to have those!!

There only being men around is sort of understandable - they would put men to work as lowly grunts, the women are too important.

Huh, I was sure you were dropping Dohrum if someone was going to go. His hat is much more boring.

I support our gender fluid cleric :colbert:

Pierzak posted:

Why in the nine hells did you not only kick all 4 of the original PCs, but also kick Taghor so you're left with 4 characters?

All else aside, you don't really have any use for a third fighter since you'd have to juggle ammo to attack from the second/third row anyway. There's not much point in having them unless you're really pressed for inventory space somehow.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Pack mule.

vilkacis posted:

unless you're really pressed for inventory space somehow.

C'mon.

Alpha3KV posted:

The kenku actually respawn at a very high rate. This along with their abnormally high XP value makes them ideal grinding targets for somebody who wants to do that. I took Dorhum over Taghor because of his higher strength.

Huh. Didn't remember that!

Also entirely aside from stats i can't really complain about you using Dorhum because i don't think i've ever taken him. Must be nice for him to get some action!

...I mean, for her, obviously. :sweatdrop:

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe they ran out of male Drow to man the front lines, so they gave a bunch of female Drow fake moustaches and told them to pretend to be inferior men until they could patch up the ranks? :v:

Well they're clearly highly inferior if they have, ugh, facial hair, like a bunch of dwarves or something...!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think they intended the whole "you can manually set your stats" thing to just allow people to recreate their tabletop characters

Yeah, this is something i'm pretty sure i saw explicitly stated in some of the manuals.

JustJeff88 posted:

I know why they did this: a mage with 3 con would literally get 1 hp per level and would be drat near unplayable.

A mage with 7 con is more or less indistinguishable from one with 9 though, and would at least have been a little more accurate to the source material.

PurpleXVI posted:

At 12- Wisdom, Clerics have a chance of spell failure on cast(5% per point below 13, so 20% at 9 Wisdom)

:doh: I completely forgot spell failure being a thing. For good reason. Goddamn. That is really goddamn mean.

I don't think any of the crpgs actually implemented it though...

Alpha3KV posted:

The only consequence of Ileria's wisdom is a lack of bonus experience and spells.

...but then again they might have, since i had no idea EotB had bothered to include bonus exp, either!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

wait

Lightning Bolt doesn't bounce in EotB?!

Be right back, burning my copy :mad:

I think i've mostly always picked Slicer, since most of the fighting's done by just swinging the front row's weapons at things and i don't think there's anything better for the off hand all game or... possibly all series, even. Pairs wonderfully with the +5 longsword, too.

I remembered the scepter showing up much earlier than this, like, the spider section of the dwarf area maybe? Not sure why. Also no idea if it does anything other than let you make dick jokes.

You get 10 +5 darts :stare:

Wow, i must have never found that one, i think i'd remember it...

I feel reasonably sure Beohram was originally intended to be a paladin, given his gear and very paldin-friendly stats, but they changed him to a fighter either because it'd be unfair for a party with any evil member to be denied his help if they went through the trouble to resurrect him, or perhaps because they didn't want to bother writing the code to handle it. Though in that case they probably rewrote his story too, since a 7th level paladin's not generally "city watch" material...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:stare: I do vaguely recall the happy fun stun blasts but i did not have any memory of taking those kinds of damage in here. loving illithids :brainworms:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:roflolmao: I had no idea you could do that, but also i am not surprised that you can. Video games!! I take it that's the party for the start of EotB2 then? Bit surprised it's three fighters and no cleric in that case but am i misremembering in thinking you can pick up a cleric/mage pretty early there?

"A.I. of the Beholder" is pretty good :golfclap:

I never figured out the wand myself so i just did the "run circles around and smash +5 implements against" strategy with Xanathar and it was honestly probably easier than the "intended" method. Less room for death spells that way.

Also

my dude should probably wait until he's at least in the double-digit levels and more than 5 minutes out of being dead before making claims like that...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

Not necessarily. There's no autosave after killing Xanathar, so the import will use the one from right before. I'll make a poll to go with the EOB2 intro post to decide which four move on, though I'll probably make the spellcasters required.

I was thinking you might want to go for narrative continuity, but i'm definitely going to vote to keep our strong, dumb girl Anya around in that case :kimchi:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

Hit Dice are still rolled in this game after levels where that should have stopped by AD&D rules.

That's kind of shocking! I'd have expected them to stick as closely to the rules as possible.

Does this still happen in the sequels? Or would it be ~optimal~ to grind out levels in 1 and bring your illegal HP levels into them through exports...?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

I finally got around to rendering and uploading the higher quality version of my "battle" with Xanathar, now edited into that post:
https://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5OlPb9e-1UA

Not horribly eye-scarring cga graphics, voted 1 :v:

TapamN posted:

What's with that glass shutter that comes down?

It's like the inverse of this:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

dervinosdoom posted:

I love this, where's this from?

I wish i could tell you but it's really old (saved in 2012 according to file info!) and i have no idea where i got it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Khelben's letter looks like spam. Dear Adventurer, Claim Your Free 500 000 Gold Pieces Now... I feel like someone forgot to make sure the sender wasn't like, kheIben@notatrap.underdark and the entire party got suckered :saddowns:

Gonna be fun to see this one, i didn't play it nearly as much as the og. Might actually not have beaten it more than once.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Guessing just healing magic isn't going to unfuck -127/-127 HP...

By popular demand posted:

So you have to get into a temple probably with no reason to suspect anything and just be a terrible rear end in a top hat to progress. The developers know their RPG players.

Putting aside the tl;dr manual you at least have Khelben's assurance that something evil is going on in the temple and a minimum of two people mysteriously just having gone missing in the area. For evil and/or reloading parties, the knowledge that an old lady's family is being held hostage so she'll keep sending strangers to the temple is pretty damning all by itself. They should perhaps have made that note easier to obtain...

Tiggum posted:

break the rules for no reason (obviously wrong)

We ain't got no room for that lawful kind of talk here :clint:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I never saw Insal return because i very heroically allowed him to sit in the front row until his naked rear end got killed and then used his corpse for extra storage space until i could replace it with less hazardous npc options. They can't troll you if they're dead :fut:

Huh, i had no idea the spider comment was fighter-exclusive. I just knew it didn't always trigger and wondered if it was random or tied to some specific npc.

The guards in their underpants are very good :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I did not remember all these loving beholders! Nor the wisps, for that matter. The story bits seem familiar enough (including the stuck beholder) but that encounter level here seems a bit high...

(Then again, so's the party level at this point so i guess it's reasonably fair.)