Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I never thought about just using NPCs.

Extremely interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's a part of old 2.5d rpgs I like to call square dancing rpgs. All the EOBs, Land of Lore, Dungeon Masters 1 & 2, and a few other games I can't think of right now.

I'm still quick on the numpad & arrow keys because of these games.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dismas posted:

same

ugh time to download dungeon master 2 again. i loved that game. Our mac could barely run it but that sort of made it easier because you could basically buffer spells and get like eight fireballs off at once

I don't know if it works on the Mac version, but I always ran with the no torham mod so you could choose all 4 champions! I mean if you want Torham, he's there.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm being swept away in a tidal wave of nostalgia! The ding sound is forever stuck in my head!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah, the Legend of Grimrock approach then, to draw a more modern comparison.

Yup Legend of Grimrock is the modern version of these games. More Dungeon Master than EOB because of the runic magic system, but if you get Grimrock, you can get these games pretty easily.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I love that characters aren't restricted in DM & DM2, any character can learn to fight and cast magic. It's always nice to have a 4 fireball opening salvo then run to melee

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

Missile weapons work well in this game as actual weapons, but they are annoying to use because they have to be reset after every use. This means putting arrows in quivers, daggers and stones in pouches etc. This game also does not allow long weapons (spears, halberds, staves) to be used from the second row as in the Ravenloft games and Menzo. I forget which game I played where I used an arrow or throwing weapon, picked it up, and the game filed it back where it was before I used it. I recall being absolutely gobsmacked by that brilliant QoL feature, but now I can't remember the game.

:actually:

In EOB3 you can use spears and halberds from the second row!

I know Grimrock will automatically put thrown/fired items back in inventory

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wafflemoose posted:

I've always called it the Stonekeep Shuffle since that game was the first dungeon crawler I've played with that sort of combat.

I called it the Dungeon Master Dance, because that was my first game with that combat type

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pierzak posted:

Yes. I don't know if they're any use at all in EOB1, but if they are, it's something like "pick the lock you could brute force with a high-Str character", so whatever. Fluff element.

However, EOB2 has quite a few pickable doors that lack dedicated keys so only a thief can open them, giving access to some good things.

Also, color me surprised that in a game that ignores so many of the more niche mechanics of AD&D, the rust monsters work as intended. I don't think I ever saw that in my playthrough, but then again, the mere possibility of item loss/destruction is enough to make me unload heavy firepower on the offender.

(yes, I do hate the thief-type monsters in DM with the fury rivaling the fire of a thousand burning suns, why do you ask? Which also makes grinding them for money in DM2 all the more satisfying :getin:)

The way they say "MINE!" is etched in my brain

The axemen will throw all the money you'll ever need at you

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 27, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hate the mind flayers in the EOB series. RANGED,INVISIBLE, SILENT PARALYSIS.

8 YO me had a lot of trouble at this point

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I love this, where's this from?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Of course a wizard thinks 5 pages is a note. All wizards are bad

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pierzak posted:

All Casters Are Bastards.

:drat:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Now that is a mustache I can get behind!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it actively depends on two things.

Firstly, is this religion very vengeful and/or does it involve robes with large hoods? Dagger to the brain. It's some end-the-world bullshit.

Secondly, is it patterned in an extremely Catholic way? I.e. large hats, cathedrals, hoods, choirs, etc.? Dagger to the brain. The GM has played too many jRPG's and they're almost certainly trying to end the world and/or destroy all heretics.

:yeah:

Immediately distrust fancy churches. If you're looking for alms, don't have cathedrals!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is it just me or are all the NPC clerics bad? All terrible wisdom scores! The mage gets an 18 to his intelligence.

Maybe Westwood Studios had a beef with religion.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How can the party win against Q?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

achtungnight posted:

Awesome pictures of Beholders in this update. What exactly did you do to the one stuck in the ceiling? It wasn't clear.

They both helped and killed it, depending on if you observed it directly or not.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I always knew you could keep the spell list up, I didn't know you could smuggle in the symbol though. What program did you use in the gif?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

achtungnight posted:

I always pronounce them Day-mons and Dee-mons personally. Them and Devils are the three major groups of evil extraplanar creatures in D&D. Daemons are the most mercenary of the bunch.

The Khelben impersonation trick made Dran quite a memorable villain back when I had this game.

Played his hand kinda heavy though.

Khelben imposter:

Yeah Imma gonna need ya to lay down and die in the next room thanks.

He might of gotten away with it if he asked them to get captured so they could (somehow) get closer to Dran(Q) (Yes I still think it was intentional that Dran looks like Q)

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What did the frost giants ever do to Dran?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

*From padded cell*

You killed Q, you rear end in a top hat!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

Is that green crystal hammer a boomerang throwing weapon? I remember the Spiritual Hammer spell in this game and Dungeon Hack being throwing weapons that came back to the user.

That's the one I'm most familiar with and the one I remember most fondly, even if it's almost universally regarded as the weakest of the trilogy. I still remember my aunt bringing me back a copy from a trip to France. I really like the NPCs in 3, especially the first one.

They actually made interesting NPCs for the third game! I admit I never played the 3rd one since all I had as a kid was an Amiga 500 and EOB3 was never released for it. Looking forward to it!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guy Fawkes posted:

The third game changed a lot about weapons brought from the previous games, first of all changing the icons and removing all unicities in name and graphic(I loved the long sword "Talon" and the short sword "Slicer", both powerful and particular). It's part of the cause of my dislike for it.

And makes polearms and spears useable from the back rows!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

those little statues look like they have Insal's head!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I honestly would like to see an eob 4. With 2e rules still.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you!?!?

Buddy, lots of things.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

Wait! Are you... me?

After I made that mostly facetious post, I realised that I can't think of a version of D&D that I would want to see it remade in. 4e would probably be my preference, but it would be too hard to 'translate' and the fans of the classic series would bounce off of it. I suppose that 5e would be the least of many evils.

But then your wizards could wear plate mail! Halfings can be paladins! No level cap based on race!

You're mad sir! MAD!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

Part of the issue, for me, is that "blobber" dungeon crawling is just the worst way to leverage any version of D&D.

Even if you're doing something purely combat-focused, so many things in any edition of D&D rely on positioning. Flanking, cover, the shapes of blasts and cones, traps and choke points.

And I will say unironically that 2e is a better system than either 3e or 5e in many ways. Fight me. 4e is also good, though, just didn't break enough with 3e in several ways.

I like 2e. I'd tweak the leveling, but that's it really.I want to run a 2e campaign actually.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chronische posted:

Why would you tweak the leveling? It's fine as-is, imo! Not that there isn't stuff to tweak, of course, having made quite a few changes myself, but that's one of the parts I like best about it - that, and class-based XP rewards.

I would remove the level caps, also no level drain. That's it.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly, I'm glad. Might and Magic without the robots and lasers just... isn't Might and Magic.

:same:

Gotta have robots, laser guns, and well actually the world you're on is a giant colony ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

Yes, I must have been a precocious software pirate because I don't remember a tiny bit of lore in a manual of a game from over 25 years ago that was in a foreign language.

Shame, cause i do.