Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I played EoB on the original dos and had a spectacular time. One interesting tidbit that I remember from the manual is that there is an apology from the developer in regards to the lack of music. There is only one music track in the entire game.

In a similar vein, the Sega CD version of EoB had music by Yuzo Koshiro, who is a prolific composer that made the legendary tracks for Streets of Rage for the Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fun fact. Lands of Lore was developed by the same people that made EOB 1 and 2, after they lost the D&D license.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

For some reason, it's just such a jarring shift from the classic 1st-person exploration mode to the tactical map. I've played plenty of games like early Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest where the travel view and the combat view were in two different universes, but something about this EoB 'port' is just incredible to me. Can anyone name any other games that jump from 1st to 3rd person like that? I can't.

it's a bit of a stretch, but I would say the dungeon portions of the early ultimas did that (I only played 3 and 4, but I'm sure 5 also had that aspect). You would traverse the dungeon in first person, then switch to 3rd person for battles.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I didn't think of Ultima because I only really played 3 for the NES, but forgetting the Gold Box is proper embarassing.

Ultima 3 for the NES also had the dungeons in first person but battles in 3rd person.

But it's a really hard game to get into, at any rate. Had some pleasant music, though, and they also redid some of the tracks with lyrics.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Are those "special quests" hinted at in any way or form or are you just expected to luck into them? Because a +4 weapon is pretty drat big in the older D&D systems, in terms of bonuses to both hit and damage.

I believe the last page of the manual has a list of riddles corresponding to each special quest.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you use magic daggers (including the Guinsoo) to solve the puzzle, they suffice to solve the riddle but you lose them entirely.

old school rpg puzzle solving (aka no handholding) at its finest

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Since nobody seemed to mention it, I feel compelled to recommend the remake/remaster of the original BT trilogy. All of the bard-ing and tale-ing with much less bullshit. There is a classic mod for masochists, though.

I've yet to pick it up but it sounds real fun since Cary Elwes is the va for the titular bard. Or so I've heard.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

That's the 2004 game 'The Bard's Tale', but Elwes does indeed voice the title character. I was referring to the remake of the classic, viciously hard party RPG collection. It's just called the 'The Bard's Tale Trilogy' and it came out in 2018.

Whoops! Sorry if I misled anyone.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Alpha3KV posted:

This is a thought that crossed my mind since making that poll. I think I'll probably end up doing that, with the second being more of a summarized bonus update. As for which to do first: from looking ahead, the remaining few plot points would make a bit more sense if I did the levels in order. It would also be a little better for showing certain level gimmicks. Much as I'd hate to invalidate the poll I made, it does also seem like sequence-breaking and getting overpowered are best shown in the bonus content. Does this sound good?

sure

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

inscrutable horse posted:

"No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Even if they do say Lolth!"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

vilkacis posted:

I feel reasonably sure Beohram was originally intended to be a paladin, given his gear and very paldin-friendly stats, but they changed him to a fighter either because it'd be unfair for a party with any evil member to be denied his help if they went through the trouble to resurrect him, or perhaps because they didn't want to bother writing the code to handle it. Though in that case they probably rewrote his story too, since a 7th level paladin's not generally "city watch" material...

Yeah, I would agree that maybe he was a paladin but they ended up not wanting to get into a situation where the NPC would not want to join the party.

There is apparently a portal (in that room of portals) that leads to the surface but there is no object to activate it. I wonder if that was a possible alternate ending or a chance for some other scripted event. My guess is that the original idea was that this item would be on the last floor, and you would need to use it to leave the dungeon after defeating the big bad. But you might get a different ending if the big bad wasn't defeated before you left.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tyrra has always seemed to be a bit prickly. I like how it's reflected in her charisma statl

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

quote:

JOURNAL ENTRY 420

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Anya is all heart and she's the only one I really wanted to vote for.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it would have been nice to get an official letter or private correspondence or a signet ring to show that we can be trusted or have these guys attack automatically

or add a romance or charm option to allow temporary access to a private chamber where we discover the big secret

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

One good aspect of EoB was the absence of shopkeepers and currency. There is no need to lug around worthless leather armor to fetch a couple coppers to save up for a high level scroll or reagents, and inventory can just be dedicated to what you think you'll really need. Food is annoying, but not incredibly so.

I remember in neverwinter nights when I played a bard and encountered a level where sleep was forbidden the last dungeon. I had thought I could cheese the game up until that point, but that was the wall I couldn't climb. I have nursed a burning disdain for that game ever since.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Barbarian: Ok, sounds like we need to convince the captain of the guard to allow the magic seal to be broken in order to enter the temple and confront the resurrected evil god.

Warrior: I can fly around him, invisible, like a ghost and pretend that I'm one of his dead parents and I can throw lightning to be more convincing.

Cleric: That won't work twice. We should just investigate the rumor regarding the infiltration of his ranks by the cult.

Warrior: Ok... ok... how about this time... this time ... I throw my shield!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If EoB 1 had a dungeon, and EoB 2 had a dragon, what will EoB 3 have?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

inscrutable horse posted:

OK, not to derail this thread even further with edition chat, but you HAVE GOT to elaborate on that one!

I'm imagining the classic D&D arcade game, Shadow Over Mystara, except the fighter is replaced by Zangief.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hannibal Rex posted:

Something else I wanted to leave here:

without googling, I remember this text from... ultima 8, I believe?

Either that or Ultima Online.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The reference to the Necromancers in the first line is a direct reference to Ultima 8. The game goes from completely unplayable to being just terrible when they patched the jumping mechanics. The combat is still bad but the spell systems had a lot of character.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hannibal Rex posted:

Yeah, Ultima 8, making a dig how far behind Ultima Underworld Eye off the Beholder 3 was. I will add that EoB2 was my very first D&D game, and I had gotten EoB3 for my birthday, and I really did not like to see its honor besmirched thusly, despite it really having been something of a letdown.

You can take solace in the fact that EoB 3 and similar "blobber" games were the last with first person views that actually had a party system with companions that stick with you the entire game.

A notable exception was Daikatana, but they didn't really come back until around the age of Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted where their behavior and animation is a lot more scripted and fluid. First person shooters love their jumping puzzles, but that was one more nail in the coffin of having a companion AI.

I have heard that the ultima underworld series was good but I haven't played it myself, having been bit by the Doom and Duke Nukem 3D bugs and multiplayer on those games was incredibly good.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keep in mind that Ultima was well known for having an incredibly good party system from Ultima 3 to Ultima 7p2 and including the Worlds spinoffs. Underworld, 8, and 9 didn't have a party system, which was such a letdown. Instead, 8 and 9 had jumping puzzles and platforming, which was pretty bad and something I already complained about.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for LP'ing this!

Too bad the 3rd game didn't have frost giants or dragons but it had all-attack which made up for it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Guy Fawkes posted:

A lot of classic D&D adventures are about stopping an evil deity form mainfesting on the Material Plane or interrupting its awakening. Usually the endavour requires a powerful artifact, some "Chosen One" or finding the cmpion of the enemy and removing the same before the ritual is completed.

As another example, Temple of Elemental Evil has a similar premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chronische posted:

Well, the funny thing about that is it's a combination trick of Iuz and, also, there is already a demon lord at the bottom! So it's not really 'preventing' anything so much as fixing something that's already been done. Ideally, you'd leave Zuggtmoy trapped, or if you have the potency, banish and then destroy it and then utterly destroy the temple. Since it's just a ploy by Iuz to cause chaos to the south and, presumably, let him invade from the north, it's not really that dangerous in the grand scheme compared to a genuine god entering the world physically. Doubly so since, apparently, Robilar was able to solo the place.

Ah. I thought Zuggtmoy was a goddess but apparently she's just a demon queen.