Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I paid my federal taxes using the IRS DirectPay website back in April. I have a confirmation number of the payment, and I can see in my bank account history that $1,376 was successfully transferred to the IRS. I received a letter from the IRS (it's legit, I have no doubt about this) that I have not paid and that I owe $1,376 plus interest and penalties. I need to contact the IRS to have them remove these charges or whatever else they need to do to make me not owe money I've already paid. Here's what I've tried:

1) Calling the IRS, at 800-829-0922, 800-829-4933, and 800-829-1040. After going through a list of options to get to something like "disputing charges," I get an automated message that says call volumes are extremely high and they can't take my call. I tried multiple times over two days, and one attempt was right when the office opened.

2) Calling the local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center to schedule an in-person appointment. When I go through the options to schedule an appointment, I get an automated message that says call volumes are extremely high and they can't take my call.

3) Calling a local Taxpayer Advocate Service. Their menu is sneaky and they basically try to make you go away, but I got to an option that allows me to leave a voicemail. Their mailbox is full and I can't leave a message.

So what do I do? The longer I wait, the more interest I accumulate. Should I just keep trying to call every day, or is there some way to resolve this that I haven't thought of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Call or email constituent services for your congressperson or senator. They all have people in their offices whose job it is to help navigate federal systems.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
There are three possibilities:

1. The payment was made under the wrong SSN, that is to say, you made the payment under your TIN and filed under your spouse's TIN. In theory the system will recognize this and sweep the money over to the correct TIN, but it might not and someone at the customer service dep't will need to push a few buttons to move the money over.

2. The payment was made under the right SSN, but to the wrong year, that is to say, you wanted to pay a 2020 balance and accidentally put the money towards 2019 (not a problem) or 2021 (big problem). You'll need to call the customer service line and get the money moved.

3. The payment was made under the right SSN and the right period, and the balance is fully paid, but the CP 14 notice was sent out anyway. In this case, there's nothing to worry about.

What I would suggest would be to go to the IRS website and pull up some account transcripts and check to see if the payment and assessment are on the same year. If so, you don't need to worry. Also if you never receive a 2nd notice, you don't need to worry either. As far as interest and penalties are concerned, the effective date of the payment is the date that it was originally received, not the date that the IRS moved the money around.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Thanks, these are both helpful. I believe I did use my spouse's SSN when making the payment, while the SSN on the letter I received is my own. Woulda been nice if their system had caught that at the time of making the payment.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.
This sounds like clearly an error on the IRS's part, and the continued nominal interest accrual will get abated once its resolved.

Just write a letter with substantiation attached and mail it to the address on the letter. There should be some kind of instruction indicating what to do if you disagree with the notice. Should get a letter from the IRS back shortly indicating that your correspondence was received. Youll hear back with a resolution in maybe 6 months or so. IRS is notoriously backed up right now.

I wouldnt worry an enormous amount about this.