Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

quote:

Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy, and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.

It's been over two years since the last time an MCU movie came out, though we've had some TV shows since the beginning of the year (WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki). Will this be the first MCU bomb? Will it be a smash success? All these questions and more will be answered in the coming week. The movie will be available both in theaters or on Disney+ Premier Access for a premium $29.99 fee on top of your monthly subscription fee, and will be available as normal on October 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Saw movie, enjoyed movie, had some thoughts about the potential history of Red Guardian based on things he said.

He might have fought Isaiah, he seems adamant he fought Captain America. Either that or he’s had his memories messed with. But there’s something poetic about the Red Guardian and the Second Captain America both being imprisoned by their countries. I also actually liked the Taskmaster stuff, and the villain was suitably disgusting and slimy.

I liked this movie more than Captain Marvel.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

So this movie does not have the weird pall of the military industrial complex/air force recruitment hanging over it?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gahmah posted:

So this movie does not have the weird pall of the military industrial complex/air force recruitment hanging over it?

Oh no I liked Captain Marvel, thought it was a fine movie, it's just not one I'd go back and rewatch, I would go back and rewatch this and likely will with my mother.

But yes, this movie does not at any point make the military industrial complex look good (as they do not appear).

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Well that sounds like some good popcorn accompaniment

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Captain Marvel perfectly splits the difference in quality between Wonder Woman and WW84.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Alright, just saw movie. First thoughts:

Russian chanting music was bomb. Music was solid but no particularly memorable tracks for me at the moment.

CGI... was rough at points. Especially in the Budapest car chase. But the action scenes were usually pretty good!! The Marvel movies have lots of problems with keeping the stakes high and the action visceral but this one didn't. It was still a little sad to not see Alexei really hulk out at the end though.

There was a lot of good, emotional talking moments in the movie. It frequently felt very indie? The whole Age of Ultron explanation for Natasha's motives was sort of redeemed even. Amazing what's possible when Whedon and Perlmutter aren't on a film. My favorite moments were the Natasha/Yelena reunion over drinks and the Red Guardian on the plane. Yelena and Alexei were the real stars of the movie and need to be in a lot more Marvel.

The theater was packed, lots of kids. Some girl kept shouting out "NO HECKING WAY!!" at the Hawkeye reveal at the end and it was super funny. Lots of gasps in the audience at that moment too (I was super nonplussed about the post credits scene? Didn't really seem like a reveal lol). That's the part of movies I've missed most when just streaming at home.

I'll have to see it again to solidify my feelings and give it a more critical eye. But I really liked it! A good watch for a Thursday night.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank goodness for the cast who made the best of it. I did enjoy it even if it didn’t hit highs it could have and if you give it thought you realize it is otherwise generic which continues a trend. But solid action flick.

Pugh is great, really feels like a little sister and compliments Scarlett very well. Both do great with the character moments they get. Harbour adds a lot of personality and the right spice, almost as if he’s from a overall better movie. Rachel isn’t given much and I feel like Winstone kind of phones it in but is effective enough.

big disappointment is that after Ref Guardian faces Taskmaster who is effectively Captain America, after that story and build up, it isn’t really given its own moment to shine and is not dwelled on, it just happens and things move on

I eat crow for not wanting to watch a Marvel flick but I’ve missed movie theaters. I feel like this would have made a better epilogue/prologue after Endgame to cap that whole phase off but Covid.

Here’s hoping next time we see Taskmaster it’s with Reynold’s Deadpool and they let him do his own thing…lol as if Disney would allow justice to film.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 9, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel pleasantly surprised with this. I doubt I'll ever really go back to this on my own, but I thought this one was pretty alright.

It's nice that it wasn't extremely blatant military propaganda, and the dialog wasn't just constant quiping and jokes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's going to be very funny trolling Marvel fans over the fact that one of main heroes of the fun and lighthearted superhero movies is responsible for attempted murder of a child

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Roth posted:

It's going to be very funny trolling Marvel fans over the fact that one of main heroes of the fun and lighthearted superhero movies is responsible for attempted murder of a child

That's something we've known for a while since the original Avengers movie though although the specific age and nature of said child is something is newish.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's something we've known for a while since the original Avengers movie though although the specific age and nature of said child is something is newish.

I was reeeally expecting a twist with that, though, with it turning out that actually she didn't intend to kill a child. But I guess she did and Hawkeye/SHIELD was cool with it too lmao. I mean, I am always complaining that they ennoble the US military and SHIELD too much in these things, so I guess they're giving me what I want.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gahmah posted:

Everything involving the Red Room throws off heavy human trafficking vibes, particularly in the opening credits montage.

At the climax of the movie, Dreykov's interactions with any of the Black Widows, Natasha included, have the air of a pimp knocking his girls around. He also makes it very clear that having an Avenger under his thumb will make him palatable to the world at large and he won't have to stick to the shadows anymore.

Now as I'm typing this, the picture of him with Bill Clinton in the beginning is giving me Epstein vibes

So yeah, there's very little rah rah military in this

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Are they setting up Dark Avengers? Fun to 'finally' see a TV series link back into the movies though.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I really thought there'd be a payoff for the Captain America references, like Red keeping the Taskmaster shield. Make a little post credits of him filming a video application for the role of Captain America, with a bad accent and crap shield skills

Also there was a trailer for Eternals on when I went and it looks very boring

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Florence Pugh is very good in this movie. Enjoyed it overall but after several weeks this year of Marvel TV episodes that all have the same style of jokes and then this which also has the same style of jokes it’s just…..god dammit Feige please move away from the snarky quips. There are other ways to tell jokes and have characters be funny if that’s what you want. But cast was good and I enjoyed the action, especially the climax, but I’m kind of a sucker for action that takes place while falling/while something is collapsing.

Was neat to see a mainstream Disney movie with a detailed description of the female reproductive system/what happens during a hysterectomy. Legit surprised they let that stay in.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Was neat to see a mainstream Disney movie with a detailed description of the female reproductive system/what happens during a hysterectomy. Legit surprised they let that stay in.

I enjoyed that despite women very explicitly being the victims in the movie, none of the main characters seem like victims. My SO had a full hysterotomy, and her way of coping with it by way of dark sarcastic humor is very similar.

I very much preferred this movie's female empowerment to Captain Marvel and Endgame finale's 'girl power'

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I enjoyed this a surprising amount. I expected it to be kind of a crappy Mission Impossible movie but it justified its existence quite well and was quite enjoyable throughout the whole runtime. Florence Pugh was very charming in it. I wish that Red had a bit more action, maybe a beefier fight scene against a big dude or something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In retrospect it seems kinda odd that Natasha uses Black Widow as her superhero name.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Florence Pugh and David Harbour did some heavy lifting—Pugh especially—but not enough for me to like the movie. Ended up feeling like boring filler for me, but I did appreciate how the Black Widow fam basically blows up what was sorta the MCU equivalent of the Epstein pedo ring I guess. Villains were garbo though. And drat, for a movie about ultra assassins, you'd hope it'd have some dope fight choreography, but the movie's like "lol, naaaah." I thought the action design was pretty trash. This isn't really that important, but it was also always in the back of my head that ScarJo maybe couldn't do a convincing Russian accent and that's why she's the only one in her "family" who talks without one.

[edit] Oh yeah, Elaine showing up at the end got a big laugh out of me :). Didn't know she was folded into the MCU.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 9, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I thought the movie was super boring. Everyone sounds tired anytime they open their mouths, like none of them really wanted to be there. The CG was bad. The action sequences were barely competent.

teagone posted:

[edit] Oh yeah, Elaine showing up at the end got a big laugh out of me :). Didn't know she was folded into the MCU.

Did you watch Falcon and Winter Shield?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I would say this was a solid mid tier Marvel movie, which is to say that I personally enjoyed it a lot and would watch it again but it's requires a lot of brain shutdown to enjoy the setups. The action scenes are basically at Fast and Furious levels of implausible and unsurvivable stunts, which is to say insanely high. Also, Bechdel Test grand champion.

Florence Pugh was my favorite part.

I got sort of annoyed that it was just one raid/rescue after another and most of them seemed like very poorly conceived or executed plans. Like the prison rescue, they just loving float there while he's waiting on the ground for a while, because?

Also was Taskmaster supposed to have super strength or not? Like, you can't just be as strong as Cap by fighting like him, Red Guardian should have been able to just punt her through a wall.

As many others have pointed out, it's a lot like they cherry picked little elements from a bunch of other Marvel movies, mainly The Winter Soldier. Taskmaster is introduced and portrayed a lot like the Winter Soldier, final battle on exploding floaty thing, etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you watch Falcon and Winter Shield?

No. After WandaVision, I really had no interest in the Disney+ MCU series endeavors.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Do the Black Widows have like, low-level superpowers or something?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Necrothatcher posted:

I always assume some sort of genetic manipulation. Not super solider level but peak human or something.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I liked it a lot overall; much more than I anticipated. But I suspected from the first trailer just because of how the MCU ~does things~ that they were going to ruin all of my hopes and dreams regarding Taskmaster, who is low key the entire reason I got into comics in the first place thanks to a buddy introducing me to Agent X, which then lead me to the contemporary Taskmaster series, which then made him basically my favorite jobber in the entire universe. While I mostly enjoyed all of the filling-in-the-blanks of the Budapest/Dreykov's Daughter stuff that got tossed out in Avengers, Tasky ended up being another blank slate wasted villain in a long line of them for the sake of the twist when he's exactly the kind of character who should be recurring and popping up as a mook throughout various series/movies. And definitely should be Deadpool's lovely roommate.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

In comics? Yeah kind of.

Something established in the movies? I dunno, don’t recall anything being called out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Saw movie, enjoyed movie, had some thoughts about the potential history of Red Guardian based on things he said.

He might have fought Isaiah, he seems adamant he fought Captain America. Either that or he’s had his memories messed with. But there’s something poetic about the Red Guardian and the Second Captain America both being imprisoned by their countries. I also actually liked the Taskmaster stuff, and the villain was suitably disgusting and slimy.

My thoughts are that the government had the William Burnside Captain America doing stuff in the 80's for a time, but then swept it under the rug because he was a total lunatic. It would make sense since he's the only major Cap replacement not to show up in the MCU and his whole deal was that he was the "Commie Smasher."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My friend I saw the movie with thinks that the Contessa lady is actually Sin, if I remember what she said right - Red Skull's daughter or some such?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I didn’t see what was coming with Taskmaster from a mile away, so that was really well done. Antonia looked appropriate Eldritch and everything to do with the Red Room was well done.

Florence Pugh is gonna kick rear end in whatever way they use her, she exudes so much more personality than ScarJo

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I liked the opening being basically the MCU take on The Americans. Young Natasha with her blue-dyed hair was kind of adorable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just got back from the cinema, it lands pretty midrange in the Marvel movies for me. The best parts for me were all the bits focusing on the family bond. The idea of a group of people playing the family roles but not really buying into until coming back together and realising those bonds are real is a really strong emotional core. Pugh especially is fantastic and it's awesome that we're seeing her again (and only a few months from now!) but my absolute favourite bit was the opening credits montage which sold the tragedy and hurt of the two girls having their lives ripped away so well. Plus that Nirvana cover was ace. I also dug that the final confrontation between Nat and the main villain wasn't a big fight scene but was her playing the hell out of him cause that's the root of her character and it was starting to get lost during the phase 3 movies.

Unfortunately I was less impressed with the action scenes, and I say this as someone who's way more high on MCU action than most goons. I dunno if it was just bad editing or a lack of big name Marvel characters but I wasn't feeling it like I normally do. I kinda think they wasted the whole concept of Taskmaster as a villain as well. Like this is a dude(ette) who can fight like all of Marvel's heavy hitters and sure you see a flash of one here and another there but we could have had a fight where she was flowing straight from Captain America to Black Panther to Hawkeye and that was sorely lacking. Then at the end they hit the ground and you're expecting the big climax but then it lasts all of 30 seconds and Nat sprinkles her with the fairy dust and it's over.

So all in all a mixed bag but it's nice to know phase 4 is moving along properly now

We had two trailers in my cinema and they were for Shang-Chi and Eternals lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie really felt like it should have been in phase 3 and just got made late. Better than expected, not a top tier MCU movie for me overall. The action was fun overall. Nice to have a movie set in the MCU with a bit more grounded action. (though not completely) All the random set up for Infinity War was hilarious, down to the hair dye.

The intro was maybe the meanest intro in the MCU.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 9, 2021

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It feels like the people who shot the hand-to-hand combat scenes in this were working on a somewhat different movie than the people doing the CGI-heavy scenes. In the former, getting thrown into, like, a wooden door is a serious and dramatic impact for a character to take. In the latter, standing a foot away from an exploding jet engine just causes them to be stunned and knocked back a bit. There's some individually solid pieces of action in this, but the movie can't decide if people are humans who get cut and bleed and need stitches and ibuprofen or if they're indestructible cartoon characters. Either of which could be fine, but mixed together like this it's hard to know what the personal stakes are from moment to moment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Really wish we were given a crazy fight sequence where Pugh and ScarJo fought together against the other widows and had to smash the pixie dust into each of them individually instead of the pixie dust flash bang cop-out that we got. I felt like the movie could have done a better job showing why Natasha was the best of them, good enough for her to be the sole widow who could stand toe-to-toe with alien gods and become an avenger.

[edit] grammar

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 10, 2021

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Pretty fun but pretty forgettable. A perfectly serviceable piece to fit into the Marvel CU but it felt like they didn't really want to take chances on the formula with one of the first female-led Marvel movies.

The comparison to X-MEN Origins Wolverine Deadpool are right on the money. A popular character with an interesting set of abilities and personalities made into a voiceless deformed villain for a some random fight scenes, even introduced by the sneering old evil white dude who also "created" the protagonist.

I was also a bit disappointed that all of Taskmaster we saw was pretty much also in the trailer. Taskmaster being able to do what you do is such a creative idea and invites creativity in action sequences, like how you fight Shadow link. She was treated like an unstoppable juggernaut which was fun, but unlike in Winter Soldier the action scenes didn't put her in direct conflict as much, and I didn't feel like anyone was a match for her. Mostly they just ran away and tricked her, which is fine, but then the fight with Alexei was just him getting tossed around then Taskmaster unceremoniously thigh-grabbed into a jail cell. Meh. Feels like a missed opportunity.

Pugh carried the whole movie and her charisma and talent are obvious. She somehow made the superhero pose and vest jokes work despite the fact it felt like she was talking to a wall the level that Johannson acted it.

I liked watching Taskmaster do fun callbacks and I liked Pugh and it was pretty fun overall.

Some standard action-movie nonsense like the whole "stop talking to him and just shoot him and then talk to his corpse oops a mind controlled widow hooked you now he's getting away damnit" I was really hoping she was just going to John Wick his rear end once she couldn't smell him anymore like she was trying to do earlier instead of gently mocking him long enough for the entire flying skyscraper's worth of brainwashed assassins to show up.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Was there supposed to be credits between Natasha waiting for Ross and the "2 weeks later" part? Most marvel movies have an animated credit sequence but this didn't.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whoops, didn't mean to post, lmao.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

lifts cats over head posted:

Was there supposed to be credits between Natasha waiting for Ross and the "2 weeks later" part? Most marvel movies have an animated credit sequence but this didn't.

They did it at the beginning of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Whatever you think about the film, that was a really awful cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit.