Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Rick Mason is in the movie because he's in the comics. It's like how every superman movie has to have jimmy olsen, but if you just watched a superman movie fresh without outside knowledge it's just "why is this guy here? why are they saying his name? why is he in every scene?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
he's in the movie so you have someone to think "that's taskmaster"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Black Widow Pitch Meeting. It's like they've read our threads.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Gavok posted:

My thoughts are that the government had the William Burnside Captain America doing stuff in the 80's for a time, but then swept it under the rug because he was a total lunatic. It would make sense since he's the only major Cap replacement not to show up in the MCU and his whole deal was that he was the "Commie Smasher."

This was my thought too. He would be the perfect foil to then set up for a Captain America 4.

Theoretically they could also throw in some other still as unused Captain America's into the 60s and 70s since Isiah seemed to be in strictly Korean War operations and was then in prison for 30 years.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mameluke posted:

That requires you not to notice that the dude has near a foot on ScarJo and Taskmaster didn't.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mameluke posted:

It didn't even occur to me that it was anyone but who it actually was.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

That requires you not to notice that the dude has near a foot on ScarJo and Taskmaster didn't.

Yes but let’s be honest they wouldn’t think that far

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stev posted:

I thought it might be Melina, at first. Just roll Taskmaster and Iron Maiden into some silent villain whose possible death was a big part of Nat's past.

So I got it half right I guess.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

stev posted:

Same. The instant Taskmaster appeared, I told m wife who it was and then she was aggravated by how easily I picked that out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Honest question, how did you figure it out then? Because if I recall that person is introduced way after Taskmaster is. Like, you don't even know they existed at all until way later.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've only seen most MCU movies once, but I think Nat and Clint murdering some kid as part of the Budapest mission has been mentioned before?

So not entirely out of the realm of possibility to figure that out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

esperterra posted:

I've only seen most MCU movies once, but I think Nat and Clint murdering some kid as part of the Budapest mission has been mentioned before?

So not entirely out of the realm of possibility to figure that out.

I think Loki mentions it when Nat's interrogating him. Personally I wasn't that shocked or upset about because "Nat did lots of terrible things she's trying to make amends for" has been her entire character. You know, besides the bad Hulk stuff.

edit: Double checked, and yeah. Loki said "X's daughter" back during his rant about her "ledger".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 13, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Honest question, how did you figure it out then? Because if I recall that person is introduced way after Taskmaster is. Like, you don't even know they existed at all until way later.

When we first see her she appears to have a woman's build, and as soon as they mentioned that Dreykov somehow survived but the daughter definitely probably died I figured it made sense that he kept her as his weapon/pet since no one's dead until you see a body.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

stev posted:

When we first see her she appears to have a woman's build, and as soon as they mentioned that Dreykov somehow survived but the daughter definitely probably died I figured it made sense that he kept her as his weapon/pet since no one's dead until you see a body.

Oh yeah absolutely that's what anyone would have figured out. I was specifically wondering how someone knew the instant Taskmaster appeared. Someone just mentioned that those things were referenced in previous movies so I can see how that would happen.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Saw the movie, it was entertaining. Definitely agree the opening credits segment was heavy with the child trafficking image. I guess it does show the pain she went through as opposed to it all being some "Edgy" backstory.

I was almost certain the red vials the undid the mind control would be based off Scarlet Witch's magic somehow, considering mind control was her whole schtick, something like leftovers from the experimentation on her in Zokovia. Not that Wanda would be in the movie, just a little bit of a tie in.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think my biggest issue with the movie (other than the opening credits) is the same issue I've always had with MCU Black Widow: bitch ain't serum'd and biotechnology'd up. Which would be fine if they didn't continually have her shrug off poo poo that should have taken her out, then never really showing the toll on her body.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

esperterra posted:

I thought it might be Melina, at first. Just roll Taskmaster and Iron Maiden into some silent villain whose possible death was a big part of Nat's past.

So I got it half right I guess.

I thought Taskmaster was Melina until they got to the farm and realized she couldn't possibly take care of the farm AND be Taskmaster at the same time. After that the only important female character it could've been was the daughter.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Possibly one of the most boring movies I’ve seen in a while. Never really liked scarlet Johansson in the mcu already but having her headline one of these movies gives me ghost in the shell vibes.

Like this was just so loving boring and it’s obvious they needed this movie as a pilot for the series where black widow’s sister will appear in with hawkeye on Disney plus

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Everyone posted:

Black Widow Pitch Meeting. It's like they've read our threads.

The more I think about this movie the less I like it and this puts a lot of thoughts I had in words.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

esperterra posted:

I think my biggest issue with the movie (other than the opening credits) is the same issue I've always had with MCU Black Widow: bitch ain't serum'd and biotechnology'd up. Which would be fine if they didn't continually have her shrug off poo poo that should have taken her out, then never really showing the toll on her body.

I'm pretty much "gently caress it" on those points. Nothing's happened to her that hasn't happened to the cast of the Fast and Furious movies. They shrug that off, she shrugs this off. Do the crossover where we learn that her mom's last name was actually Toretto.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Jose Oquendo posted:

For me, it's probably 35+ years of absorbing way too much comic book and comic book-inspired material.

However very early in the movie Natascha was being challenged on whether she really killed Draykov. There was never a body because "there was no body to be found." In comic terms, I figured, ok that dude is definitely alive and magically his daughter probably wasn't somehow also dead since presumably she was never found. Then when Taskmaster appears the first time, you could just tell the physique was female. She was also being kept/programmed in the Red Room, and since in these movies the mystery person is never someone we haven't already seen in the movie, that left the daughter as the only viable candidate. In the back of my head, I wondered if it *might* be Melina, since we also didn't see her again after she was carted off in Cuba, but I didn't think Marvel would ever use a named character (Iron Maiden/Melina) to be a totally different character like that.

There was also an audible clue in the score that I picked up on, but without watching again I can't quite remember what it was now. But it only sounded when Taskmaster showed up the first time and when we saw the daughter in the flashback.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it. Wish it had come out in the timeline... watching Endgame right after, when she's visibly distraught at the situation, is more poignant knowing her backstory, and her prior few years.

Way better than Captain Marvel.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

GORDON posted:

Way better than Captain Marvel.

100% agree there. I think Captain Marvel is the only movie in the MCU that I've rewatched solely for the supporting characters. Brie Larson is fine, I guess, but boring as all hell.

I keep hoping that she wasn't mis-cast, and there will be some masterstroke of imagination like we saw for Thor in Ragnarok that makes the character less robotic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doronin posted:

I keep hoping that she wasn't mis-cast, and there will be some masterstroke of imagination like we saw for Thor in Ragnarok that makes the character less robotic.

I imagine pairing her with Ms Marvel will inject some life into the character. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Doronin posted:

Thor is the right analogy, because they struggled insanely with how to characterize him for 4 entire movies. Allowing Chris Hemsworth to show any personality or charisma at all did wonders.

"Was she mis-cast?" implies someone else could've done better, and I don't think so. Not with that script. Carol Danvers is stoic and unemotional, yet also incredibly smug and sarcastic. She isn't allowed to seem angry or afraid, but also she can't come off as warm or personable. It's no surprise that she comes off as a smirking cypher who deadpans all her lines. Brie Larsen's fantastic in the smaller indie dramedy roles I've seen, so if they radically re-conceive the character I imagine she'll find the right angle.

That said, "stoic and unemotional but also smug and sarcastic" equally describes Yelena, and Florence Pugh figured out how to make that person likable. So, who knows?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Xealot posted:

Thor is the right analogy, because they struggled insanely with how to characterize him for 4 entire movies. Allowing Chris Hemsworth to show any personality or charisma at all did wonders.

"Was she mis-cast?" implies someone else could've done better, and I don't think so. Not with that script. Carol Danvers is stoic and unemotional, yet also incredibly smug and sarcastic. She isn't allowed to seem angry or afraid, but also she can't come off as warm or personable. It's no surprise that she comes off as a smirking cypher who deadpans all her lines. Brie Larsen's fantastic in the smaller indie dramedy roles I've seen, so if they radically re-conceive the character I imagine she'll find the right angle.

That said, "stoic and unemotional but also smug and sarcastic" equally describes Yelena, and Florence Pugh figured out how to make that person likable. So, who knows?

The difference there is power level, Captain Marvel is by far one of the most powerful characters in the MCU, so her doing those things kind of comes across as just, overbearing. Meanwhile Yelena is a normal (maybe) human with super spy training, so she's in theory constantly on the backfoot and low scale power wise. Especially because her primary interactions are with Natasha (a better Black Widow) Milena (her "mother" and also a genius scientist) and Alexei (literally the first and only Soviet Super Soldier as strong as Captain America).

Captain Marvel meanwhile spends the entire movie interacting with people who are effectively ants to her powers, and the only real way they relate is emotionally (which is why the stuff with Maria and Monica is some of the best parts of Brie's performance imo).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thor lived through being in the middle of a goddamn sun.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

LividLiquid posted:

Thor lived through being in the middle of a goddamn sun.

Yes and, I said Captain Marvel was one of the most powerful characters, and that makes the particular character traits they're using for her come across as overbearing and boring. Compared to Yelena who is one of the least powerful (in terms of fighters/heroes) so those same character traits come across as defiant and non-chalant in the face of almost certain death.

I was also talking about her solo movie specifically, which Thor is not part of regardless (and she's kind of barely in the Avengers Endgame movie too).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xealot posted:

The original vibe for Thor was Shakespearean drama which was entirely his character through AoU and was very true to Thor in the comics. Then Takia Waititi showed up and now Thor is just Chris Hemsworth playing Chris Hemsworth and while that's definitely entertaining it's barely got any relation to who Thor actually is

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I rewatched Captain Marvel recently and it was actually better than I remembered. Not one of the best, but solidly in the middle of the pack.

Now Black Widow was bad and boring and nonsensical.

One of the things that annoyed me was they made a big deal of how she didn't check Draykov's corpse, and no corpse = alive. But at the end when they blow up his helicopter they still don't check his loving corpse. Fine, they don't want to show a mangled and blown up body in an MCU film, I get that, but at least make a quippy callback to it or something. Just feels like sloppy filmwriting.
Also the way Yelena killed the person with the vials was vicious - Stabbed her in the gut, twisted and pulled. Didn't expect that in an MCU film.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rarity posted:

The original vibe for Thor was Shakespearean drama which was entirely his character through AoU and was very true to Thor in the comics. Then Takia Waititi showed up and now Thor is just Chris Hemsworth playing Chris Hemsworth and while that's definitely entertaining it's barely got any relation to who Thor actually is

Be that as it may, the first two Thor movies were almost completely boring and I can barely remember anything he did in his other earlier appearances. Sometimes it's bad to be a slave to the source material.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Black Widow is what happens when executives in a board room have complete say over what happens with a movie. This is by far the worst MCU film to date. I am very easy to please with these Marvel films, and the more I think about this movie since watching it last Friday, the more I find reasons why it was just terrible. I'll give it some credit though, it was still more coherent and better put together than Wonder Woman 1984, that still holds the title of worst comic book movie in the last decade.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Wonder Woman 1984, that still holds the title of worst comic book movie in the last decade.

What about every x-men movie?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean I thought X1, X2 and DoFP were at least watchable IMO?

WW84 is worse than any of those IMO

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sean10mm posted:

X1 came out over 20 years ago!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sean10mm posted:

Also Logan.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sean10mm posted:

I feel like you need to sit down to hear the news about the state of the last ten years of x-men movies.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don't Ask posted:

Also the way Yelena killed the person with the vials was vicious - Stabbed her in the gut, twisted and pulled. Didn't expect that in an MCU film.

I didn't get that scene at first, but in retrospect it makes sense. The person with the vials is a "freed widow" and Yelena plays up the pain she's in when she's in the arm lock. The freed widow now has a conscience, and feels bad, drops her guard and gets stabbed brutally by Yelena, who still under the conditioning. It's very subtle way of showing the effects of the brainwashing prior to it being explained.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like you need to sit down to hear the news about the state of the last ten years of x-men movies.

You said EVERY x-men movie, not just ones made lately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd watch any of the bad X-Men's before WW84 again. Hearing Gal Gadot stumble through liberal platitudes is a special kind of hell.