Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you still use VGA in any capacity?
At work, frequently
At work, infrequently
At home, frequently
At home, unfrequently
No lol
View Results

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what's good nowadays? I've been thinking of upgrading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk. dell makes some decent monitors as long as you don't go cheap. lg makes some reasonably priced 4k stuff with good features.

i just have a tv for a monitor though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i miss narrower displays, they were better for reading

Silver Alicorn posted:

sort of depends on your use case and what features are important to you (uniformity, colour repro, response time, refresh rate, etc) but there are good options from lots of places at this point

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

viewsonic's transition from crts to lcds was underwhelming

it truly was

i hated them because the same custeomrs who blundered into the store and wanted THE ASUS ONE when they were choosing a board or card would insist on those three loving birds every time they were picking out monitors, and would stamp and whine about how the viewsonic shadow mask was somehow the pinnacle of creation

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Silver Alicorn posted:

rtings.com is good just listen to them

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

pretty much only on servers anymore. still have a few 4:3 LCDs around for that attached to carts.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

viewsonic's transition from crts to lcds was underwhelming

it nearly killed sony electronics lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

cheapest piece of poo poo acer tn panel u can find imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
suits my needs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i miss narrower displays, they were better for reading

i used to turn a secondary 1024x768 15" lcd sideways for reading and still do it with a 23.5" monitor. makes long web pages super easy skim and chats easier to read back on now that things have inline images

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the tie fighter layout is the best

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I have a 32:9 monitor and it owns

imaging using a bunch of disjointed flat monitors like a caveman

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zlodo posted:

I have a 32:9 monitor and it owns

imaging using a bunch of disjointed flat monitors like a caveman

lol if you don’t have at least 2000 vertical pixels on ur monitor

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
my girlfriend works from home and they sent her 2 LCDs that somehow only have VGA in and a dock that had one DP and one HDMI that they converted to VGA and let me tell you it looks like total poo poo.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

my girlfriend works from home and they sent her 2 LCDs that somehow only have VGA in and a dock that had one DP and one HDMI that they converted to VGA and let me tell you it looks like total poo poo.

you forgot to turn them on

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

you forgot to turn them on

:honk:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i liked the vga monitors with the parrots. that was a good logo.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
anyone remember those yellow "radiation filters" that people put on their crts?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Workaday Wizard posted:

theyre finches op

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Workaday Wizard posted:

i still feel bad for dumping my viewsonic, even if the higher resolutions were getting blurry. it would have been a beast for high fps games

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i saw some crts used for part of a video installation at the AGO yesterday. they were like 3' by 4' and the picture on them was absolutely incredible.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

yes, for classic computers, as well as for nominally headless boxes that occasionally need a local display

no for daily use

:same:

actually set up my risc-v box using VGA because I couldn’t be bothered to dig out one of many DVI cables I have

also the NEC MultiSync LCD1990SX is one of the best monitors for retro stuff, syncs to almost anything and can give a really sharp display with a 1:1 centered image up to 1280×1024

considered getting one of the 20in models (2090UX or whatever) since some hardware like my SGIs can handle 1600×1200

heck, with an ECL to RS-170 adapter, my Sun-3/60 could drive that in monochrome

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

r u ready to WALK posted:

I have never seen a smart board being used, ever

at this point i'm starting to believe they were a non-functional hoax product

I did some consulting at NEC America in the mid-late 1990s; theirs was the first office I’d seen with Aaron chairs, and they actually used a smart board (NEC of course) during meetings

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I MultiSync if I have to.

Mainly for this mainboard that is tops for still working.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i have a nice classic 20" crt i keep around, mostly for playing 90s era games in dosbox. also though it supports a bunch of input formats, so it's handy for that

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

yes. physical server consoles are still vga, so for the once in a blue moon something can't be done remotely/via idrac, i still need vga

Well, usually. The AIX boxes I used to janitor a couple of years ago had no video hardware whatsoever, just RS232.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i had an rs/6000 f80 cube like that. i just left a vt220 connected to it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cathode ray tubes are way cooler than liquid crystals (what) or light emitting diodes (boooooooring)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
is there a single thing crts do better than modern displays? they use to have faster response times but i don't think thats true any more with 120hz oled and 360hz lcd

they are just better for playing snes because of the pixel smearing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aesthetic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BNC monitor cabling is way cooler than VGA

oh your video can go over that single cable with little wires in it?

that’s cute, mine’s so powerful it needs honkin thick metal tubes

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

eschaton posted:

BNC monitor cabling is way cooler than VGA

oh your video can go over that single cable with little wires in it?

that’s cute, mine’s so powerful it needs honkin thick metal tubes

i have a sony commercial display from the 90s that has bnc connectors for the rgb. just got bnc -> rca connectors for it actually. it also has a digital rgb in that's compatible w/ a vga signal

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i keep an old lcd with a vga input around just in case, op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i used to use it occasionally when headless shits i ran at home crapped their dacks but now everything is docker so no need

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
the smart board story reminded me of a great story from corporate america

a megacorp I used to work for had a smart board in a conference room, but people were afraid to use it and there was a delicate dance/hot potato/musical chairs about who would log in to it.

why? because all computers were assigned to someone and if it wasn't known it would be automatically determined by who logged in (not sure if it was the last person to log in when the scan was run or who was logged in the most).

Then you'd show up on a list of USERS GETTING BILLED FOR TWO COMPUTERS that would get sent to the director who would get mad about how we were being billed extra for your "second computer". the only way to get the computer to stop being charged to your department was to re-assign it and have someone accept the assignment or to submit a formal request to have the IT department come and destroy remove it.

i think eventually it got removed so we'd stop getting charged for it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cheque_some posted:

the smart board story reminded me of a great story from corporate america

a megacorp I used to work for had a smart board in a conference room, but people were afraid to use it and there was a delicate dance/hot potato/musical chairs about who would log in to it.

why? because all computers were assigned to someone and if it wasn't known it would be automatically determined by who logged in (not sure if it was the last person to log in when the scan was run or who was logged in the most).

Then you'd show up on a list of USERS GETTING BILLED FOR TWO COMPUTERS that would get sent to the director who would get mad about how we were being billed extra for your "second computer". the only way to get the computer to stop being charged to your department was to re-assign it and have someone accept the assignment or to submit a formal request to have the IT department come and destroy remove it.

i think eventually it got removed so we'd stop getting charged for it.

i’ve read this multiple times and i still can’t understand what getting billed for two computers mean. are you using VDI and getting billed per VM or something?

in any case: lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IT bills a department a fixed amount per user/computer for support/maintenance. if one person signs into a computer other than the one they're assigned they're billed for using two of them even though one is a shared resource because whoever implemented the system was an idiot

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i've been working more w/ my ancient but cool sony pvm, and i found some random person in new zealand who has the active adapter i need to translate the color space from component to bnc, by way of using the rgb out on an scart. so, through a series of adapters and scalers, i'll be able to sync the monitor w/ a modern 60hz hdmi or component signal, and input it to the display. since it was designed for and used in recording studios, it can actually sync modern full hd signals, it supports 1080p, that it reformats to 4:3 which i was amazed at

when i get it all set up i'll add some pics and more details; i've also figured out how to get both amber and greenpos screens using adapters and changing how the sync is set up and such

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
not since ~2015 op, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Workaday Wizard posted:

i’ve read this multiple times and i still can’t understand what getting billed for two computers mean. are you using VDI and getting billed per VM or something?

in any case: lol

IT bills a department a fixed amount per user/computer for support/maintenance. if one person signs into a computer other than the one they're assigned they're billed for using two of them even though one is a shared resource because whoever implemented the system was an idiot

yeah, this