Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

soon we will be happy every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982991

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dollar tree xmas shipment of knock off legos came in. p' good. "best lock" branding, a tank, a fire truck a combine harvester and a forklift. thing is, they're designed to be made of useful parts, so, like, picking up a few, building the things then breaking them back down to the component pieces would give you a nice stack of pieces to build all sorts of other stuff with.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

best thread in cspam

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

beautiful work op. voted 5

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

k lego thread I will let you decide. I got the sembo night club/sex tourism spot set. I can build that tomorrow or I can take some photos of cheeki breeki dollar tree lego boris possibly having hard bass adventure

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

yah you could say im a tankie;

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

k lego thread I will let you decide. I got the sembo night club/sex tourism spot set.

lmfao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think this was posted in the wrong thread?

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I get that there’s a pandemic and some serious global economic upheaval occurring peripheral to that, but have they considered me, the person completely unaffected by and insulated from all of this who still has time and money to play with toys all day? How inconsiderate.

anyone in SA who tries to deny a goon their uninterrupted mindless consumption is a troll, just let people enjoy things

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sometimes you want to go
where nobody asks your name

oh god damnit, I forgot to take a photo of the instructions

"sembo block facilitate communication between children and parents"

lol no sembo I'm not explaining this one to the kiddo just yet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lady Militant posted:

yah you could say im a tankie;

running over fascists with my NR-N99 Persuader-class tank droid

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have a tiny, empty house

and a tiny, empty soul

but my car's kickin' rad

and john constantine and michael jordan are my gay neighbors and they're raising, I guess, one of the dragon ball dudes

so I mean like really all I can say, all any of us can say, is that china owns

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Krillin ended up becoming a cop so sadly this isn't surprising

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

quote:

I am addicted to buying Lego and it just ruined my life.

I have been buying since I was a kid and, until now, its always been something I could keep under control. A few sets a year, splurging for loose pieces at conventions, stuff like that. But in the last 5 years or so it’s gotten worse. Unfortunately that also coincided with meeting the love of my life and getting engaged.

My fiancé (ex now I guess) realized I had a problem and made me keep a tally of how much I spent on Lego a month. At my worst I was dropping 4-500 a week on Lego. I had a massive backlog of sets to build, filling up my parent’s entire spare bedroom since my one room apartment was already filled with completed sets.

We cut it down to 100 a month, at least that’s what I told her. In reality I purchased a storage locker for cheap and kept buying Lego. I’d either go build them and store the finished pieces in the locker, or just leave the unopened boxes in there. We hadn’t combined finances yet so she had no idea.

I proposed to her after 4 years of dating, and her one rule was I keep my Lego addiction under control. I lied through my teeth and said I would. I also got her a cheaper ring (about 300 dollars) and instead spent double that on Lego in the same trip. She wasn’t my priority, sadly.

We started wedding planning and this is where things fell apart. I was in charge of certain things, and one item was building the centerpieces. My fiancé designed a pretty cool thing - some fake water lillies in a bowl of colored water with an LED light in it. We needed to make 17 of them, she had the exact pieces picked from the craft store along with the total cost - 126 dollars to make every single one. She gave me that money to pick up the raw materials.

I never did it, I just went to Toys R Us and threw that money towards Lego Star Wars sets that were new. I kept lying and putting it off, then she got pissed at me because the store discontinued the LED lights, so we had to buy a different type.

I finally got off my rear end and bought the stuff, but couldn’t justify making them until I finished some of my Lego backlog. Our wedding date was supposed to be this June. and I hadn’t even bought the materials until February.

My fiancé was justifiably mad and told me I needed to help out more, specifically by booking the hotel block, meeting the DJ and giving him his down payment, and printing up our table placecards.

I didn’t do any of this because Lego released set 75192 - the 800 dollar Millenium falcon. I bought it with the DJ money and spent 3 days building it.

My fiancé found out and threatened to cancel the wedding unless I “came clean” about everything. So I did.

I showed her the storage locker (full) and my bank account (empty). I figured I spent around 35,000 on Lego in the 2 years we were supposed to be saving for the wedding, honeymoon, and house.

She gave me back my ring that night and said she couldn’t trust me enough to marry me. I don’t blame her, not really. Her family hates me and now so does mine. A lot of people already have emailed me saying I wasted her life and their time. My parents threw all my Lego out of the house into the yard, so I spent a night having to drive over there and save them. Right now I’m still in my apartment, I just set up some Lego stacks to work through.

My ex has blocked me and hasn’t reached out to me. Her family refuses to get me in contact with her. I barely feel motivated to build my Lego backlog now.

Please don’t end up like me. I read the Lego thread in DIY a lot now and see so much of myself in those people.

I will not sell the Lego though, so please do not ask. They still mean a lot to me.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

i keep a legos.txt on my desktop. it has since collected other posts, but that one is at the top

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My Gimmick Name posted:

i keep a legos.txt on my desktop. it has since collected other posts, but that one is at the top

please dish out some more

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

:eyepop:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

My Gimmick Name posted:

:justpost:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Holy gently caress. What year is that from? I buy Lego about once a year to give out as Xmas presents and it always shocks me how expensive it is.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Daughter is getting her first Duplo blocks for Christmas :3:

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

sometimes you want to go

well at least this thread has something for smythe now

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

sometimes you want to go

that sky is really cool. did you just make it out of stuff you had lying around or was it part of the set? love the colorful pillar on the right. very seedy "been here since the googie era" vibe

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shyduck posted:

Daughter is getting her first Duplo blocks for Christmas :3:

it only gets better. my kid has a ton of legos at each grandparents house, with a big duplo set at my mom's. lego fire trucks are everywhere here, as well as other lego city stuff. the lego city advent calendar is a HUGE hit so keep your eye out for it down the road, they're gonna be doing one per year for the forseeable future

he isn't all that fond of my big collection of classic blacktron, mtron, ice planet (ORANGE CHAINSAW) and knight stuff i have at my dad's and just uses all the m-tron pieces to make fire stations

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Marzzle posted:

that sky is really cool. did you just make it out of stuff you had lying around or was it part of the set? love the colorful pillar on the right. very seedy "been here since the googie era" vibe

I been doing big dioramas and stuff, sky was supposed to be a pacific ocean island sunset for this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983694

but I just could never source enough tiles, so I've kind of relegated it to good enough status and just try to remember to put some extra tiles into every bricklink order I do.

funny, looking back through this thread, I started do the sky just with bricks for the clouds and it looks better than the tiles, but the 3 dimensionality in a background still bugs me

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I been doing big dioramas and stuff, sky was supposed to be a pacific ocean island sunset for this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983694

but I just could never source enough tiles, so I've kind of relegated it to good enough status and just try to remember to put some extra tiles into every bricklink order I do.

funny, looking back through this thread, I started do the sky just with bricks for the clouds and it looks better than the tiles, but the 3 dimensionality in a background still bugs me

I like it, has that modern artsy vaporwave vibe :)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Lady Militant posted:

well at least this thread has something for smythe now

dude always 5s my threads, guess this is just fate telling me I gotta give something back

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

alienated from the products of his labor in modern society, Elmo is falling into an abyss that can only be filled with cheap opiates

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sometimes you want to go

I have a tiny, empty house

and a tiny, empty soul

but my car's kickin' rad

and john constantine and michael jordan are my gay neighbors and they're raising, I guess, one of the dragon ball dudes

so I mean like really all I can say, all any of us can say, is that china owns

beautiful work as always TVoL. :bravo:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cloks posted:

alienated from the products of his labor in modern society, Elmo is falling into an abyss that can only be filled with cheap opiates

as abby's star rose so elmo's fell. so good man

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Cloks posted:

https://youtu.be/57ta7mkgrOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

omg. I've got sickles and hammers and an overalls clad torso. If I can find a dress I can do the old mosfilms logo in minifigure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosfilm

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

give me your power thread. it's time to source parts to build a lego guillotine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

*starts channeling power*

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

is this gonna be a functional Lego guillotine or for staging pictures only?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cloks posted:

is this gonna be a functional Lego guillotine or for staging pictures only?

it'll be minifigure scale if that's what you're asking. the blade'll come down if I build it right, but it's made out of plastic so it won't like, realistically sever any minifigure heads. that's o.k. really, minifigures get kinda expensive

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

it'll be minifigure scale if that's what you're asking. the blade'll come down if I build it right, but it's made out of plastic so it won't like, realistically sever any minifigure heads. that's o.k. really, minifigures get kinda expensive

I'm excited to see what you make

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

sounds sweet

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol, so the brickwarriors guillotine blade fits perfectly in between, get this, a pair of these

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4216#T=C

with one half of the pair offset on these

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...Modified%5D#T=C

so two grooved bricks with three and a half studs between them

like, had the blade been just a little wider it would work fine without needing to offset anything and it would look same. the goofiest thing about this build is that I'm going to need to remove the offset at the mantle. I knew it would be a little asymmetrical going in due to needing a hole right in the center at the top for the cord to go through

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the zenos paradox of project building. every bricklink order gets me 1/2 way to the end but never to the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*note to self*

*all children should be holding smart phones*