Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

maybe (definitely) I'm dumb and my colleagues are too, but ime k8s doesn't achieve the devops goals or anything beyond really basic self serve capabilities. the vast majority of our developers can't debug issues with our setup without help from the infrastructure team (sorry, "devops team") and can't work out how to do things which aren't part of the existing wrappers or patterns. this wasn't the case with octopus deploy and was less bad on ECS (although understanding networking was very hard there as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Went to check the Operator SDK docs on github one day and they were gone, fused with the Red Hat Borg Cube. I went to the new URL for the docs, hosted by Red Hat, and it was pages full of "Lorem Ipsum" test text. Very cool!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Scud Hansen posted:

Went to check the Operator SDK docs on github one day and they were gone, fused with the Red Hat Borg Cube. I went to the new URL for the docs, hosted by Red Hat, and it was pages full of "Lorem Ipsum" test text. Very cool!

this is the most obnoxious thing they do and it hasn't gotten any better under ibm

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

carry on then posted:

this is the most obnoxious thing they do and it hasn't gotten any better under ibm

Somebody said this more or less earlier in the thread but I'm 100% convinced that the docs are bad on purpose to sell consulting

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Scud Hansen posted:

Somebody said this more or less earlier in the thread but I'm 100% convinced that the docs are bad on purpose to sell consulting

when you dont sell the product itself at all and you only make money on service, support, and consulting why would you ever spend any time on docs whatsoever?

this is the way

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The CNCF certification exams only let you use the official docs, no googling

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

fresh_cheese posted:

when you dont sell the product itself at all and you only make money on service, support, and consulting why would you ever spend any time on docs whatsoever?

this is the way

oh they also sell the product. but yes exactly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

young man yamls at cloud

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yaml is bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
yaml bad, kubernetes good

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yaml bad, kubernetes good

yarp

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
if you hate writing yaml for your koobs you can always do go templating

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
oh i can write the yaml i just dont think its good.

but its not hard.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Boy cilium sure is a pile of poo poo huh

No idea what's up with it but my db connection pool connections keeps dying after this latest cluster upgrade and of course it can't be rolled back

Thank god this cluster doesn't do anything particularly important

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Scud Hansen posted:

the more i understand the ecosystem the more i struggle to understand what operator sdk actually does beyond being a rebranded kubebuilder

i guess OLM is there but it seems kinda annoying for no obvious purpose

this is, however, nothing in comparison to the actual red hat branded stuff you upload your operators to, which is an incredible combination of incomprehensible and broken

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like a lot of the stuff that red hat does but everything they do related to kubernetes is hows-it-going-...-yeah.gif

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
reviving my dead thread to wonder and/or complain about cluster admins just categorically denying any cluster-level permissions in kubernetes, an environment which explicitly has a number of cluster-level resources

what the gently caress bad thing is someone going to do with GET permissions on CRDs

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

reviving my dead thread to wonder and/or complain about cluster admins just categorically denying any cluster-level permissions in kubernetes, an environment which explicitly has a number of cluster-level resources

what the gently caress bad thing is someone going to do with GET permissions on CRDs

yeah that’s dumb op

lots of folks trying to secure it like it’s multi tenant when it isn’t really.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hey i should start posting in this thread i guess huh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

assuming its some cloud stuff they should just launch multiple actually-isolated clusters

this also applies to people who think they want a single cluster spanning multiple AZs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh has anyone tried azure k8s? i assume it's trash but figure its good to check how bad

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

for a very brief period of time in 2019 azure aks was better than aws eks, these days i understand it is bad but not as bad as you would expect from an azure product

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
we have an eks cluster that has been running for almost 4 years now and haven't had any issues with it.

the initial version didn't have as much aws integration as you would expect, and the upgrade to a modern version that added some of that required no downtime but made us actually look at it for a second. would recommend eks.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
They took away our admin access on the cluster and hired a guy just to admin it and he's the most disagreeable prick I've ever worked with. But now every time I need to do something I have to grovel to the cluster troll and beg him to run commands for me. I am a broken man

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Scud Hansen posted:

They took away our admin access on the cluster and hired a guy just to admin it and he's the most disagreeable prick I've ever worked with. But now every time I need to do something I have to grovel to the cluster troll and beg him to run commands for me. I am a broken man

embrace many things not being your problem anymore. annoying at first, but act and build accordingly and it is ultimately great.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we have an eks cluster that has been running for almost 4 years now and haven't had any issues with it.

the initial version didn't have as much aws integration as you would expect, and the upgrade to a modern version that added some of that required no downtime but made us actually look at it for a second. would recommend eks.

i've to do my first on-site to eks migration at the end of this quarter and i'm looking forward to it. documentation makes it sound pretty smooth

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
as long as you have all your manifests its dead simple.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Scud Hansen posted:

after many years of developers having free reign over their environments via containers, finally the natural order is restored and bofhs' god-given control over the platform is the law of the land again

Progressive JPEG posted:

assuming its some cloud stuff they should just launch multiple actually-isolated clusters

this also applies to people who think they want a single cluster spanning multiple AZs

please, the customers want a "single cluster" spanning multiple providers and think Ingress implementations will somehow provide this

no, none of these people have the slightest idea what SIG multi cluster is

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
been awhile since i've heard the term bofh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whats bofh

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
bastard operator from hell

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

whats bofh

bofh of deez nuts!!!

animist
Aug 28, 2018

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

after many years of developers having free reign over their environments via containers, finally the natural order is restored and bofhs' god-given control over the platform is the law of the land again

DevOps, where you split things into Dev and Ops

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

bastard operator from hell

nope

DELETE CASCADE posted:

bofh of deez nuts!!!

yep

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

animist posted:

DevOps, where you split things into Dev and Ops

it's like two containers for one job!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i really do hate that every CD tool on the market has added a helm option and that they universally use helm template instead of helm install, each with its own idiosyncrasies

for the unfamiliar, the helm devs didn't really intend for the template command to be used this way (im not really sure _how_ they intended it to be used), so this does poo poo you probably don't want when actually deploying software, like:
- not applying a namespace
- rendering ALL templates simultaneously regardless of purpose, such as templates that should only render for tests and templates that should only render during certain lifecycle events
- not talking to the cluster at all, so that any conditionals for CRD or API version availability just always return false unless you manually instruct helm that these things are available. naturally not all of the CD tools set these automatically, nor do they let you provide arguments for calling helm

this naturally results in an endless line of requests for snowflake toggles in values.yaml to adjust template behavior for some particular tool's bullshit. no, begone. file an issue with jenkins or argo and tell them to fix their poo poo. if they can't let them fight it out with the helm devs to add features they need. our config is already enough of a mess without adding 50 toggles that won't make sense to novices

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
don't know what helm is, didn't need it 5 years ago, don't need it today, won't need it 5 years from now

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

imo helm chart installs are extremely bad and dumb and all anybody really wants out of helm is some semi-reasonable yaml templating

the half-assed package management stuff the helm devs keep trying to shoehorn into there just make it more cumbersome without providing any of the benefits that you'd expect from a real package manager, like managed updates/upgrades. so at that point why even bother dealing with that

imo the pro move is to pipe the output of "helm template" into regular "kubectl apply" and sidestep helm's logic for that entirely, using it only for a template rendering stage - but this doesn't work if you're doing something involving "lookup", like one-time random secrets. the built-in "helm install" implementation has a bunch of bizarre corner cases around e.g. subtractive edits that break things in hard to detect ways. meanwhile in a CD context treating the template/apply as separate stages also lets you shove the rendered output into source control

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the day i use a loving yaml template is the day i eat a shotgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

afaict the "standard" way to get away from the helm devs' bad opinions is to just write your own gosh darn operator+CRDs via kubebuilder or similar. that's a bridge too far for me rn but i may just give up and do that at some point because it doesn't look like there's gonna be a "helm except just the parts you want done well" tool anytime soon