Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
how do we not have a thread to complain about everyone's favorite YAML datacenter operating system

i am mad about red hat IBM whatever. i never want to hear about whatever loving bullshit "what if we made OUR OWN THING" for something that already exists in the k8s ecosystem IBM is pushing this month so they can make consulting dollars hocking it. just participate in the lovely OSS governance system everyone else has to

swear to god i am going to yeet the next salesperson who asks about certified operators into the sun. having to maintain separate builds to meet arbitrary redhat requirements and ensure that every container uses a blessed RHEL image (entirely for the purposes of "containing a single golang binary" is loving pointless beyond being able to tell technically naive customers that something is "certified"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

more like kuber not gonna get any replies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress did I just read? you’ll be lucky if you don’t get institutionalised for this thread

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
aw poo poo, someone put quotes around the 'on' again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

openshift is good op

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
jesus christ ignorance really is bliss.

maybe try gardening op

ps if your idea of gardening involves arduinos then you are doing it wrong. i shouldn't need to say that but you wrote out that op so just making sure

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MrQueasy posted:

aw poo poo, someone put quotes around the 'on' again.

accidental norway boolean is some good poo poo

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
a team at my last job decided they’d be better off inventing their own orchestration instead of using kubernetes. last i checked they’d spent 4 months reinventing cron poorly on top of zookeeper.

moral of the story: kubernetes may have a lot of incidental complexity, but can be very helpful for building distributed systems automation.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ive always found kubernetes pretty easy and it makes it easier for us to load up a new client into the cluster with almost no effort.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yaml is bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

agreed, its like json, but somehow even worse

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

xmHell isn't much better so now what???

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
xml is better than both json and yaml

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
csv supremacy

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
you could use nomad i guess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t janitor servers but recently had to create some vm images on a linux and the whole experience was stupid and bad.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

epitaph posted:

a team at my last job decided they’d be better off inventing their own orchestration instead of using kubernetes. last i checked they’d spent 4 months reinventing cron poorly on top of zookeeper.

moral of the story: kubernetes may have a lot of incidental complexity, but can be very helpful for building distributed systems automation.

hey theres like twenty companies out there that have the internal engineering muscle and use cases to get their zookeeper/nomad stuff right and useful. it's like how netflix and sony have viable in-house freebsd poo poo that works for them. there's probably also a ton of companies that /arent those companies/ and have one engineer on some sorta crazy vision quest trying to build their dream orchestration poo poo out of twigs and spit in the outback

could be worse, could be workin on some infra built on dc/os or ECS

godspeed to the devops architect dude i had one meeting with, who was working on utilizing some of our poo poo in ECS. at wework. in late 2019. he was an extremely chill dude, ill give him that

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 13, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we are an msp/var that recently bought a dev shop and if they ask me to set up a kubberneets swarm or a dorker cluster or whatever I’m going to look for something new

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

terraform is pretty good relative to artisanally preparing your yaml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its amazing how much better it is and just how bad yaml is. yaml is like someone was trying to make the worst serialization format

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yep.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yaml is like someone was trying to make the worst serialization format

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the fuckin ini file format was better

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
you can tell who the old-heads are with a lot of experience based on their choice of format between xml yaml and json

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

the fuckin ini file format was better

ini/properties is a fine format

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

ini/properties is a fine format

ini is fine, properties is kinda eh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

both are vastly superior to fuckin yaml

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

the subset of yaml used in configs is great, way better than xml or like parts of my company like to use, json :barf:

xml is for documents, not configuration

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

the subset of yaml used in configs is great, way better than xml or like parts of my company like to use, json :barf:

subset?????

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

they're the same thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho i guess maybe ini has [sections] never used those

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

xml can be whatever you want it to be

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

altho i guess maybe ini has [sections] never used those

yeah this is the difference

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

you store configuration in xml documents. yaml is not suitable for anything beyond aggravating its users

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
literally can't understand anything said in this thread but I'm just gonna post through it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
google cloud has some workflow automation tool but as soon as i saw it was yaml-based i went right back to my lovely python scripts. literally rather write a p-lang than yaml

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

only fitting that the kube thread immediately becomes the people qq'ing about yaml thread

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yaml is fine :colbert:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Share Bear posted:

subset?????

apparently yaml has some sort of full blown object deserialization, was the subject of a huge security vulnerability in years past. I mean the basic keys, lists, strings and booleans that people tend to stick to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ansible Adams posted:

yaml is fine :colbert:

:wrong: