Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when should i use ecs vs eks? we hired a consultant to tell us but tbh they havent helped at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

thank you

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've used helm charts at past orgs but didn't really care about them one way or the other. they seemed pretty arbitrary but i was good at putting my little numbers in the places they were supposed to go

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

12 rats tied together posted:

if this is anyone's job IRL seriously just spend half of a workday reading the module loader documentation so you can avoid being the person who uses pipenv and virtualenv and pyenv inside of a container

can you explain this more? i feel like i should know what you're talking about since I've done a shitload of python but this doesn't make any sense to me

are you just talking about configuring the pip stuff and installing instead of running a script?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

this discussion just reminded me of a time when i made a snowflake.py script in a project and its existence broke the whole entire snowflake db module for some reason :laugh:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i think this question is relevant to this thread: im trying to set up multiple environments (e.g. dev, staging, prod) and i think i'm doing it wrong. the :airquote: experts im working with recommended terraform to set up the eks cluster and other poo poo, but they suggested that each environment have its own branch in the terraform repository. i didn't know enough about tf to do anything else but this feels extremely stupid and annoying to maintain. is this normal?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i want prod to be in its own cluster because a few jobs ago we had a situation where a non prod system created too much 'cluster metadata stuff' and brought the whole thing down even though it was just a dumb batch process (i dont know what exactly the "stuff" was, but using Argo for batch processes that were too small created a shitload of pods an hour that lived for like 4 minutes each and somehow this overtaxed some k8s system that was supposed to keep track of data about the cluster. this was apparently an unrecoverable issue because all of the k8s stuff was unresponsive)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

we wrap pretty much all our terraform resources up in modules, then have a directory for each "environment" where those shared modules are called

this seems very good and coherent

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

12 rats tied together posted:

creating a module for everything is usually bad.

i highly recommend you read the documentation for when to write a module, module composition and (most importantly) dependency inversion

if you're a software developer by trade this will probably be fairly remedial to you. its important for ops engineers who are conned into using terraform and who inevitably create a workspace root that invokes a single module called "thething" that invokes nested submodules that each contain 70+ optional resources that are toggled off and on with boolean parameters or by the presence of other related optional resources and which results in configuration that is impossible to inspect or reason about without just running a plan and seeing what breaks

rules of thumb: do not put a count = ??? 1 : 0 in your module without thinking about it really hard. if you must have a conditional resource, always explicitly specify the on and off states. never, for any reason, call another module from within a module.

hell yeah, thank you for this!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

how does eks + kubectl work?

my cluster is in a vpc and i gotta connect to the bastion host to mess with anything. how come kubectl works fine from my machine? does aws eks' update-kubeconfig automatically route it through a bastion or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what should i be monitoring on eks? i tried to read the docs for ContainerInsights but they direct me to places that don't exist in the aws gui anymore lol nice

i think i only care about pod crashloops but idk if there's pieces of the actual EKS system that i need to keep an eye on or not