Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we're currently doing the helm install routine, but at some point may have to move to the apply routine if we figure out a non-lovely way to deal with gitops for automated deploys and build promotion.

So far though it's helpful for some conditional checks to do things like run a helm diff and whatnot to know if we need to run pre-deploy checks on preprod environments when doing hourly automated deploys, and use their hooks mechanism to annotate observability data with deploy times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’ve been using microk8s for local stuff. Tilt is generally good and you can ask tilt to use whatever local cluster to work with afaict.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we use helm charts, but literally just call the 'helm upgrade --install' command with a bunch of files for each service and static build artifacts templated in from a manifest in S3, stick that in a CircleCI scheduled task, and use alerting on pre-prod environments' SLOs to know whether to auto-deploy to prod with ways to do manual validation of the checks fail (eg. pre-prod being down shouldn't preclude from force-deploying a fix to prod to restore service there first). Update the manifest to a previous version and re-run the job and your rollback is out in minutes.

it has been needs suiting so far, and I'm glad we managed to keep full automation rather than having to do some annoying gitops.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

upgrading k8s itself and the cluster and auditing all the poo poo, now that's garbage.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we’re on EKS and it’s probably nicer than custom chef stuff but there’s a tremendous amount of complexity to properly dealing with all the poo poo related to custom nodegroups and orderly shutdown that I wish I had never had to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

carry on then posted:

i'm sorry, this terminology is giving me terrible flashbacks to websphere nd stuff

it’s essentially just “bring your own ASG” in EKS, so you can do some custom poo poo to your hosts before handing them to the EKS cluster.