Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
you could use nomad i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

carry on then posted:

you, a moron: `kubectl exec -it my-lovely-pod-0 -- /bin/bash`

me, a genius: `oc rsh my-cool-pod-0`

aliasing kubectl to k is canon.

also its pronounced cube-cuddle

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Hed posted:

does anyone use nomad. I think they invented their own yaml-like

nomad job files and terraform use the same config lang. its… okay

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

you know what is worse than yaml? helm charts. here, write some loving yaml but also with go templating. loving hell

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

echinopsis posted:

Its time to be honest with you all

I don’t know what kuberneetus is

blessed

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

I don't really see the benefits of using kubernetes over say aws + terraform so far, it seems pretty similar for run of the mill business stuff.

I guess if you wanted to run it on your own hardware it would let you do that, but my impression is that most people do it in the cloud anyway

i have to use all three together

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yeah just let me find the three engineers with extensive prod experience managing fleets of app instances using BSD jails. i assume they're all more beard than flesh and bone at this point

in unrelated news, the k8s blogs have some choice nuggets:

> The way PSPs are applied to Pods has proven confusing to nearly everyone that has attempted to use them.

wait you mean users didn't get a resource that applies to pods via a binding to the pod's associated serviceaccount and only does anything when you enable the special resource admission controller?

i know there has to be some sort of "well, these are the tools we have currently built for these APIs in the kubelet security poo poo, so this is what we're using, gently caress if the ux makes no sense" reason behind why PSPs work this way, but still, lol

I JUST WANTED TO FORCE READ ONLY CONTAINER FILESYSTEMS GODDAMNIT KUBERNETES

just copy what one of the better engineers does

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

yaml my ingress hole

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve read this entire thread and I still don’t know what a kubernete is

its a bunch of golang and yaml meant to abstract away the chore of scheduling containers onto a server cluster. its poo poo

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

eschaton posted:

I’m honestly surprised nobody has designed a “modern” transaction processing system with a “modern” syntax for job control to supplant all this garbage

when i think alternative to koobs i think nomad and get sad

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

yaml-lamma-ding-dong

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i do appreciate kubernetes and this general category of system for having managed to carve loose a giant piece of functionality full of pitfalls for system administrators to handle instead of doing it very badly somewhere code-adjacent. hats off, i intend to never learn all of this.

feeling incredibly owned rn

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Hed posted:

i'm reading a kubernetes book right now and am questioning what i'm doing.

I want to run containers that are small self-contained jobs, so the async task queue is way more part of the solution than serving a crud website. So if I have jobs (containers) that I want to run on a schedule or by trigger what's the equivalent in kochos?

If this were just hosted on a server I'd use something like django with celery as the async task queue. I don't see anything but the fields of yaml for configuring new sets of things to run in k8s.

you can use aws ecs and run fields of json

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

if you hate writing yaml for your koobs you can always do go templating

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

helm templates are go with lisp in them

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

i think kubernetes is only complex if you need persistent storage or if you do something stupid like install a service mesh

:smith:

i cant hate on kubernetes too hard as much as it ruins my life because it is job security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

kubernetes: whatre you gonna do? use nomad?