Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

i work on middleware/developer tools so i only have access to little 3controller/3worker clusters, how big is a decent production kube cluster, anyways?

depends on how much effort you put into tweaking cluster autoscaler and how long it’s been since someone looked at the ec2 bill. I believe the practical limit is a few thousand nodes before the pod scheduler just can’t handle its poo poo anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dads friend steve posted:

literally nothing about k8s is simple. it cannot possibly be simple; there are a million moving parts to even the smallest cluster

if you want to argue that it’s an essential complexity that’s necessary to reap some sort of overall benefit that’s one thing. or that when taken as a whole it’s less complexity than you could do with an equivalent homebrew system, ok maybe. but lmao at trying to defend the blanket statement “kubernetes is simple, actually”

its definitely not all essential complexity. one of the founding design principles was "we can just have everything watch etcd and keep the entire cluster consistent that way". of course now you are basically making every single worker node and any other api client a raft participant, which doesn't have the best scaling properties. the solution implemented was caches and the seasoned distributed systems architect can guess the rest

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if I had those needs I would not mention them anywhere that children, the elderly, or the immunocompromised could be exposed, but I’m just courteous like that

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

you can also use ipvs now but the default is still iptables

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

operators are very powerful but it should be rare that a cluster owner is writing an operator. if you own a cluster, and you're managing it with ansible (ugh wtf), then why on earth would you make an operator backed by ansible. just use ansible. the point of the operator is that you use go or something to do stuff your normal tooling can't handle well

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

validating and mutating webhooks are a great way to brick your cluster. I guess they do other stuff too but I’ve mostly observed them causing problems

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

for validators at least, might be able to use "failurePolicy: Ignore" to fail open if the pod is down. for example ive been using (and happy with) opa/gatekeeper and that's their default

idk about mutators, they always seemed like sort of a bad idea since suddenly it isn't WYSIWYG anymore but i haven't really seen much of them either

linkerd provides a mutating webhook and that works fine. it's not modifying your containers or anything

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

operator framework doesnt support it because its a pretty deranged thing to want

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

like when you say "maybe utilizing static internal cluster state info" i start thinking that an operator probably isnt what you actually want to make, because the whole point of an operator is that it sits around watching events on a resource and reacting to them. if you don't care about getting updates from the apiserver then what you're making is not an operator more or less by definition

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

imagine a container crashing on a worker node, forever. that's the kubernetes vision of the future

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Don't forget that whoever implemented your docker orchestration system doesn't understand that routing is a thing so all the IPs have to be in the same network. This is why you can only ever have one Availability Zone in AWS, it's just impossible to work in any other way.

this is a weirdly specific gripe that i dont understand

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Which part don't you understand? Why writing the code so that layer 2 adjacency is required is bad? Or something else.

The gripe comes from my background as a network engineer where every single place I've worked made a dumb decision that predates me where their dumb application requires vlans to function. This inevitably means that "for redundancy" they need to have the same IP-space in multiple locations which wrecks havoc on network stability as I'm forced to use poo poo from the 80's like spanning tree and we are stuck using ipv4 forever. This get's even worse when they decide to port their application to "the cloud" and now they are stuck within a single availability zone in a single region and so their application is highly prone to failure creating a headache for me.

ah you are responsible for some application that was written by people holding the packets wrong, and then cloud is made for people who don't even know what vlans are so that causes a lot of pain. i think i get it now

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sending raw ethernet frames directly to cluster peers "for performance". like if you didn't hear a skinny 23 year old white guy talking earnestly about routing overhead when you read that sentence, you're still a junior

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dads friend steve posted:

what the gently caress

that can’t be what ate poo poo on live tv is talking about

not literally, but that level of brain damage, yes. have you not done thing with packet before

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i tried explaining it to our salespeople via a metaphor about how an operating system manages sharing CPU time/memory space and providing hardware abstractions for applications on a single machine, but for a machine cluster, and am pretty sure our sales team has no better understanding of kubernetes as a result

for i guess what are essentially legacy reasons (building our initial k8s poo poo before operator framework existed) we have helm to deploy our application/CRDs/associated supporting resources and upgrade it to new versions, and then a separate controller to continuously handle transforming other resources into configuration. these could be theoretically combined into a single operator like what you're describing

the reason i'd like an operator that doesn't need to actively watch resources is to basically get something like the helm half, but without having to deal with handling complex logic in go templates, because go templates are complete rear end to deal with and a massive pain to test. management of the application itself doesn't need to run always, just at the times users update app settings or upgrade to a new version.

that'd be useful both as a transition point to an operator that's doing both and for users that are real picky about what permissions you grant to service accounts

ok so you know you don't have to use operator framework. again, if you're not watching for changes it's not an operator. it's just code that reads from the cluster and then writes to the cluster and then terminates. replace the helm crap with some more CRDs, run a script to turn the new resources into whatever is the result of a deployment, and when everyone realizes that this is stupid you have a clear path to handle those CRDs with the current controller/a new one.

it sounds like these concerns are separable so maybe you want to end up with two controllers but anyway, why are you stuck on operator framework. just don't use it until you need to use it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

i think kubernetes is only complex if you need persistent storage or if you do something stupid like install a service mesh

I sincerely wish for everyone who believes that k8s isn’t complex to not run into one of the many, many “edge cases” that make k8s complex. edge cases in scare quotes because they weren’t until k8s showed up

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

terraform 0.15 is bearable but its still poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

there’s no way for the control plane to be HA and operate in this manner because it means removing pods would require synchronizing the entire cluster. the way this person apparently wants kube to work is literally not possible lol

for removing a pod to be successful the entire cluster must synchronize. this is implied by how services work in kubernetes. all that is required for pod deletion to be safe is a mechanism for nodes to indicate how far behind their kube-proxy is. this would place an incredible write load on etcd because kubernetes was designed by muppets, but it would still be HA

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

btw if you really want to see some poo poo overload your apiserver. cluster dns flapping, pods getting requests for 30 seconds after they terminate, it’s real fun

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

what is supposed to happen if a node is temporarily unavailable or slow to update?

if a node fucks off into hyperspace then we mark it down. if it’s slow to update then we wait until it updates

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

you realize synchronization means strong consistency, right?

hmm does it. I feel like in this case we can use the fact that the pod is dying to make things work without getting too fancy. look at this:

at resourceVersion m a pod is deleted
at resourceVersion n we observe that every ready node’s kube-proxy is synced up to at least m
with some hand waving about kubelet and kube-proxy we can now say that it’s no longer possible for a ready node to send requests to the pod, and it won’t be possible at any future resourceVersion
kubelet kills the pod

I think it’s worth noting that this only works if there’s some way to keep unready nodes from receiving incoming traffic, and usually that way is “ask a properly built load balancer to handle that” which tickles me

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

note that this is equivalent to “send a message to every node, commit once all of them reply to confirm” which I think is obviously not HA. you essentially have a distributed state machine that you need kept consistent (here meaning past a certain revision) across all modes that can only move forward if all nodes are available

I do think something like this could be a reasonable implementation of a different project for small-ish clusters and maybe even what a majority of cluster owners would want (most clusters presumably being on the smaller side), but it’s choosing a different set of trade offs that wouldn’t work for larger clusters that actually do need HA

nah fam if a node isn’t available we can assume it’s also not forwarding requests and so doesn’t need to block deletion. the actual problem is nodes that are available but not making progress. I contend that getting stuck is correct in this case and if your infra team doesn’t like getting pages about it then they shouldn’t have pushed so hard for kubernetes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

distortion park posted:

I should point out that idk if the problem I originally posted is impossible to solve in general, but it definitely didn't occur using ECS Fargate and definitely did running the same system on eks. This was a pretty small system with light but consistent load

ECS was built by people who knew how to design for scale and it shows

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nrook posted:

there is very little I wouldn't do to avoid figuring out how to run two python servers with different versions of the same deps on the same server at the same time

the way to do this is use docker

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

or venvs...

nine times out of ten that I see python in docker, they're still using a venv inside the docker container

until three months later when one app has upgraded and needs Python 3.9+ and the other app breaks on anything newer than 3.6 so now you’re managing interpreters too. just use docker

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

I’m a heretic but I really like terraform workspaces for making GBS threads out identical EKS clusters. makes dealing with 20+ clusters across multiple regions way easier then the folder per env, or worse per cluster. locals and sane defaults can go a long way imo.

from there if your doing EKS I’d use native kubernetes constructs via something like argocd or flux to customize the cluster.

for your own sanity don’t use terraform if at all possible to install stuff inside the cluster

works ok with the kustomize provider. you’re using terraform as a templating layer then, basically. I wouldn’t trust something running inside the cluster to manage the infrastructure gunk that kube needs to be usable in production, and terraform is already there, so why not

the thing about workspaces is that you could have a module, a list, a foreach, and achieve the same result in a much more easily discoverable way. some might object to managing 20 eks clusters in a single state file, but to those people I say that glory shuns a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

you can also put the control plane inside the vpc though