Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

openshift is good op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ansible Adams posted:

yaml is fine :colbert:

it's really not as bad as old people make it out to be

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you, a moron: `kubectl exec -it my-lovely-pod-0 -- /bin/bash`

me, a genius: `oc rsh my-cool-pod-0`

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

my beef with openshift is that they seem to feel the need to NIH like loving everything and entirely control the product. i know dealing with k8s oss governance can kinda suck but goddamn you don't need to replace the ENTIRE user-facing part of the ecosystem (unless you intentionally want to do this to get lockin and consulting $$$ where you're the one billing all the consultants, which given IBM is... yeah). this poo poo probably could have been a kubectl plugin

dealing with the idiosyncrasies of EKS versus GCP versus roll-your-own is enough of its own workload but at least the UX part is the same, and i don't need to know about whatever OpenShift's replacement tooling or CRs are, esp since the OpenShift users seem to be less familiar with what they're doing and can't translate their questions to vanilla k8s terms at all. kubectl and a lot of the prominent stock tooling aren't so bad that they desperately need a replacement; they usually have enough people working with them that the UX pain gets hammered out over time

i'm sorry that someone is daring to improve on the kube user experience without first becoming a google employee i guess...?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yah as someone who maintains a chart i can affirm that Helm is in many ways quite poo poo. really wish they had a proper kustomize integration so all the many many feature requests i get for "add this new deployment feature into the deployment" could be handled with "this doesn't need a loop or advanced template functionality, it is just stuffing a YAML blob into a defined place in another YAML blob, which is exactly what kustomize does, use that instead" but their solution for that is "uh you can run a bash script that invokes kustomize" which is poo poo.

it's useful for de-duplicating poo poo for our 8 mostly-identical Services but other than that it's a hot mess.

also someone submitted a PR the other day that'd let you put a template inside values.yaml and render it inside one of the chart templates. i hate that this is even possible and i want to die.

haha oh poo poo, last i worked with helm charts putting even a variable in values.yaml wasn't allowed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i work on middleware/developer tools so i only have access to little 3controller/3worker clusters, how big is a decent production kube cluster, anyways?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i do enjoy the complete abandonment of even trying to learn about usability in security circles, followed by the surprised pikachu face when people just stop implementing the provided security measures because they're user hostile garbage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

how did we get to 4 pages without

https://twitter.com/moonpolysoft/status/1102418485278212096?s=20

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

took a building operators workshop. knowing how to write one in go with the ask seems handy enough but apparently people are turning ansible playbooks into operators which seems kind of unmaintainable?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i mean, I develop the actual middleware, so making an operator could easily be something I do in the next few years if we decide that’s useful

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

dads friend steve posted:

operators seem cool but yeah as an app dev and not platform dev I expect I’ll never write one

last I checked the official sdk involved copying a huge amount of boilerplate and then adding your stuff to those files, which made upgrading when the framework inevitably changes seem like a huge pain

lmao yeah and the red hat dude teaching it basically acknowledged it’s gonna change again. fun.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

12 rats tied together posted:

ansible operators are just playbooks that the cluster runs against itself when stuff happens. its good if you need that

i agree that >99% of the time you dont need that and you should just use normal ansible, run by a human, for uploading your templated yamls to kubernetes or whatever other api you use that accepts yamls. ansible is very good at templating and shipping around yamls

ya that makes more sense

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

rook-ceph seems fine to me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

akadajet posted:

it's when u like cloud computing so much you run your own virtualized cloud on top of the one made and maintained by professionals

sometimes it runs on top of the one made and maintained by your own it jackasses instead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kube drives a certain kind of control-freak nerd absolutely nuts and for that reason alone i can't hate it completely

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

eschaton posted:

I’m honestly surprised nobody has designed a “modern” transaction processing system with a “modern” syntax for job control to supplant all this garbage

I don’t know about modern but you can do something like that with JBatch which uses an xml-based jcl to define jobs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Scud Hansen posted:

Went to check the Operator SDK docs on github one day and they were gone, fused with the Red Hat Borg Cube. I went to the new URL for the docs, hosted by Red Hat, and it was pages full of "Lorem Ipsum" test text. Very cool!

this is the most obnoxious thing they do and it hasn't gotten any better under ibm

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bored Online posted:

helm templates are go with lisp in them

i'm glad we transitioned to publishing operators for our own products

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

VSOKUL girl posted:

once you're taking action based on custom resources it's a different story

i mean this is the crux of it, it sounds like it's way overkill for what you're to do but for us (delivering a java application server image that users are going to take and customize with their own config and apps, and allowing them to reconfigure on the fly to capture debug data) the extra flexibility of CRs and a running agent managing things is worth the extra complexity in development, because the end-deployer experience does get simpler.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kubernetes: probably too complex for your use case

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ok so does rook-ceph get any production usage or is it pretty much just use for dev clusters like mine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

VSOKUL girl posted:

i love how the industry is so excited about kubernetes being so hot yet never understands poo poo about it. our product people have decided that we need to sell our operator somehow. attempts to explain that this is basically like trying to sell one of those windows installer exes separate from the program it's installing are falling on deaf ears

it makes even less sense given that we deal entirely with big enterprise contracts where the actual listed SKUs are basically window dressing to justify whatever price sales was going to charge anyway

lmao even ibm gives their operators away for free

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MononcQc posted:

nodegroups

i'm sorry, this terminology is giving me terrible flashbacks to websphere nd stuff

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

gonna guess based on usual software quality that there have been tons of problem reports against ibm cloud, it's just since they have zero non-megacorp users they all go through paid support contracts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

eschaton posted:

why doesn’t k8s just JCL

you need knative for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

VSOKUL girl posted:

nobody uses knative lol

they're missing out in recreating that mainframe experience

can knative be configured to take down the entire cluster if you don't remember to go in periodically and purge the spools?