Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use helm templates but only for two things:
- generating an arbitrary random token for a Secret if the Secret doesn't already exist, for things like internal creds between services
- embedding config files into configmaps without needing to have a nested copy in the configmap yaml

and i never use other people's helm charts because they're all the union of every possible option that every passerby needed so that it would run on their SPARC cluster with 7 bit bytes or whatever. if a helm chart is the only option then ill render it to yaml with default settings and then edit/use the result because otherwise its hard to tell wtf the thing is doing when its 89% templating logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe go one level up with containerd apis to start with: https://containerd.io/docs/getting-started/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

You replace it with a well-disciplined puppet setup, making it so the only yamls are simple flat structures for hiera values.

puppet are also known for:
- laying off a bunch of people march 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the reason to write an operator is resume driven development

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

putting the nerd in containerd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for a queue you'd probably just want to run kafka but it's a memory hog and a pita to tune/maintain once you get significant load going through it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

can use local-path-provisioner instead of hostPath, much less scary while being functionally equivalent

meanwhile for replicated storage ive been using longhorn and its worked fine even with my 4gb rpi nodes. but ive just used it for smaller stuff like configs where its not too io-intensive and where i don't want the pod to be stuck in pending if the host node dies

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah if you're running it on one of them then just use their stuff, the above recommendations assume onprem

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think it says a lot about how much helm sucks when everyone is now just diying their own operators that do nothing other than deploy a service, rather than continuing to deal with helm's bullshit

i still sparingly use helm but just because i don't quite hate it enough to bother with figuring out a replacement yet

imo the best way to use it is "helm template | kubectl apply -f -" whenever possible, because helm's own handling of updates is super broken, e.g. treating updates to specs as purely additive. handling that part with "kubectl apply" avoids the broken logic in helm. but "helm template" itself will silently fail if you want to use lookup calls. it will treat the lookup items as not found rather than just safely failing the operation like you'd expect

now that i've written all this i am really leaning towards dropping helm since i only use it for:
- random one-time generated internal secrets via this one weird trick that helm devs hate (silently fails with "helm template" per above)
- templating fixed/external secret values out into a separate yaml file that i keep in a password manager

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

validating and mutating webhooks are a great way to brick your cluster. I guess they do other stuff too but I’ve mostly observed them causing problems

for validators at least, might be able to use "failurePolicy: Ignore" to fail open if the pod is down. for example ive been using (and happy with) opa/gatekeeper and that's their default

idk about mutators, they always seemed like sort of a bad idea since suddenly it isn't WYSIWYG anymore but i haven't really seen much of them either

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sharding? more like sharting

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its an API and reference implementation for running things in containers on other computers

the API acts like a config spec where you say what you want things to look like, then the implementation tries to get it there

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I pipe all my bash commands into nc which connect to other servers running nc -l which is piped into bash. This is my orchestration strategy.

you might like dask

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

assuming its some cloud stuff they should just launch multiple actually-isolated clusters

this also applies to people who think they want a single cluster spanning multiple AZs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh has anyone tried azure k8s? i assume it's trash but figure its good to check how bad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

imo helm chart installs are extremely bad and dumb and all anybody really wants out of helm is some semi-reasonable yaml templating

the half-assed package management stuff the helm devs keep trying to shoehorn into there just make it more cumbersome without providing any of the benefits that you'd expect from a real package manager, like managed updates/upgrades. so at that point why even bother dealing with that

imo the pro move is to pipe the output of "helm template" into regular "kubectl apply" and sidestep helm's logic for that entirely, using it only for a template rendering stage - but this doesn't work if you're doing something involving "lookup", like one-time random secrets. the built-in "helm install" implementation has a bunch of bizarre corner cases around e.g. subtractive edits that break things in hard to detect ways. meanwhile in a CD context treating the template/apply as separate stages also lets you shove the rendered output into source control

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

afaict the "standard" way to get away from the helm devs' bad opinions is to just write your own gosh darn operator+CRDs via kubebuilder or similar. that's a bridge too far for me rn but i may just give up and do that at some point because it doesn't look like there's gonna be a "helm except just the parts you want done well" tool anytime soon

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm running a $6 digitalocean vps with 1gb ram, originally planned to put a k3s server on it but that consumed 400mb when empty/idle with flannel/servicelb/traefik already turned off

decided to just run everything as plain "restart=always" docker containers orchestrated via terraform and the combined system memory usage for 17 containers spanning a bunch of different stuff is around that same 400mb

sorta amazing how much overhead even a "minimal" k8s install creates

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i recently replaced a bunch of stuff that was deploying things via helm templates with terraform's k8s support and its been overall a good move

tfstate management is of course an exercise left to the reader as usual but everything else (templating, secrets management, one-off passwords for things, not leaving random old poo poo lying around as the deployment evolves, structure in general) is waaay nicer

can also deploy public/3rdparty helm charts directly from tf and that seems to work fine as well. was previously opposed to that when already using helm directly, keeping copies of the full yamls in source control. but now tf just handles it transparently

one catch is tf is pretty bad at crd management because it tries to look up the cr even when the crd might not exist yet. "official" solution is a separate preceding stage for just adding the crds. was able to avoid that in the one case where it was an issue by using the helm chart version of the thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the home shoestring trino cluster was running ubuntu 20.04 with k3s. this was sort of by accident because the cluster started as a few 4gb rpi4s a couple years ago, at a time when ubuntu was producing prebuilt aarch64 rpi images that worked with k3s. the cluster grew organically from there but it was all still managed by a couple ansible yamls for turning off ubuntu's endless poo poo and for installing k3s onto there, respectively

given the situation it made sense to just have a clean slate with upgrading from 20.04 to 22.04. i got things mostly working after a couple hours but it was very unstable with all pods randomly crashing with no logs, even in a stock/empty k3s cluster on a single machine. this instability turned into a weekend-consuming pita with nothing explaining or solving the problem and i really didn't want to be dealing with it. there wasn't anything to lose at this point so i ended up just trying talos os. after a couple hours i had an empty talos cluster up with the instability fixed, and with my janitorial workload significantly reduced. being able to delete the aforementioned ansible yamls was very satisfying

one catch with talos is it wants a dedicated storage device to itself on each machine, while any persistent storage should go on separate devices. can put stuff directly in the "ephemeral" partition within /var but that is easy to wipe in e.g. a talos upgrade if you aren't careful. probably a good idea to have separate devices anyway

but overall if you're wanting to do some on-prem k8s without regular effort to maintain the underlying os then talos seems real good so far. at least until their funding dries up or whatever their situation is

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

to clarify talos is basically an "appliance" linux distro whose sole purpose is to provide a k8s environment, managed via cli/api. i think it uses kubeadm underneath

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tbh i'd rather pay someone $6/mo than risk interacting with oracle for free

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for single node just use docker compose

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

1.24 of what

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh god are you using aks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BedBuglet posted:

I've been spending the last two weeks having a special kind of hatefest at helm. Set up makefiles so that when a developer builds the repo it builds all their docker images tagged as developer images and pushes them to artifactory then does a helm lint/template/package on their helmcharts, updating the values.yaml and pushes up into artifactory. Works great.

Update helm, everything blows up. Helm package no longer supports --set. Checkout github to find out why they are breaking my repo... apparently they accidentally included that functionality in helm 3 and decided to remove it?! People are complaining about broken CI/CD pipelines and writing bash wrappers just to provide fairly simple functionality.

Package also apparently shits itself if you have chart dependencies that are packaged charts? Because they can't bother to untar a chart? And they straight up don't respect disabled chart dependencies when they package. It blows my mind they don't have competition. I'm literally at the point of writing commits to their github out of frustration.

i've switched a bunch of helm stuff to terraform and it's been a lot smoother overall despite the usual caveats around terraform itself like needing to deal with safe tfstate storage etc