Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

helm charts have the same smells/problems as puppet modules from the forge, chef cookbooks from the supermarket, and ansible collections from the galaxy.

each is a killer abstraction to use within an organization, but very few orgs can actually use that published $whatever without having to alter it to their needs. instead of maintaining simple internal whatever that describes just the organization's needs, they end up maintaining a fork of a complex whatever that tries to do everything for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

tfstate management is of course an exercise left to the reader as usual but everything else (templating, secrets management, one-off passwords for things, not leaving random old poo poo lying around as the deployment evolves, structure in general) is waaay nicer

i've seen this used as an argument against tf in other places, but honestly tfstate management seems trivial if you have any cloud provider or hosted database service. i've been trying out a pattern of storing it in git with git-crypt, and for one-admin personal infrastructure it's pretty slick.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

is argocd still the only gitops tooling with commit signature verification?

how is this not a standard feature by now? does everyone doing gitops just blindly trust that github will never get owned?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the way to do this is use docker

or venvs...

nine times out of ten that I see python in docker, they're still using a venv inside the docker container

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

dont nest virtualization or containers unless you have a specific reason to, basically

venv really isn't virtualization or containerization in any meaningful way. it's just a wapper for configuring the PYTHONHOME environment variable to look for your dependencies in an application specific path instead of system paths.

unless you want to use only system python package or you're comfortable with pip replacing your system python packages, you want something like venv managing where your application dependencies live.

edit: too early, typed PYTHONPATH instead of PYTHONHOME

edit again after actually looking at the script: all it does these days is set your PATH env var -- I'd have sworn in the past there was a python specific env var that was also set. either way, nothing to do with virtualization or containerization

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 12, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we wrap pretty much all our terraform resources up in modules, then have a directory for each "environment" where those shared modules are called

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i destroyed an eks cluster today. replaced it with old school ec2 instances in an an asg behind an alb with fully prebaked ami for deployment.

felt loving nice doing that where i could, even if i cant do it everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

how does eks + kubectl work?

my cluster is in a vpc and i gotta connect to the bastion host to mess with anything. how come kubectl works fine from my machine? does aws eks' update-kubeconfig automatically route it through a bastion or something?

the eks control plane isn't inside your vpc, only the nodes are. the control plane has an external api endpoint of something.region.eks.amazonaws.com. take a look at your .kubectl/config