Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

terraform is pretty good relative to artisanally preparing your yaml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

the subset of yaml used in configs is great, way better than xml or like parts of my company like to use, json :barf:

xml is for documents, not configuration

subset?????

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cerberus911 posted:

It could be worse, another team is using terraform for k8s deployment and every deployment diff is 3+ screens of scrolling.

what the hell are they doing, don't they know they can break out configurations into smaller files for specific aspects of services if they're complex?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

i recently replaced a bunch of stuff that was deploying things via helm templates with terraform's k8s support and its been overall a good move

tfstate management is of course an exercise left to the reader as usual but everything else (templating, secrets management, one-off passwords for things, not leaving random old poo poo lying around as the deployment evolves, structure in general) is waaay nicer

can also deploy public/3rdparty helm charts directly from tf and that seems to work fine as well. was previously opposed to that when already using helm directly, keeping copies of the full yamls in source control. but now tf just handles it transparently

one catch is tf is pretty bad at crd management because it tries to look up the cr even when the crd might not exist yet. "official" solution is a separate preceding stage for just adding the crds. was able to avoid that in the one case where it was an issue by using the helm chart version of the thing

i REALLY like terraform compared to basically everything else mentioned in this thread, i havent really encountered weird edge cases besides the "immutable" state of the deploy being mutabled and not lining up with the terraform config, which can be rolled back or overwritten

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

possibly dumb question but: youre not running the python slim image and its pip? or even making and storing a copy of it to internal artifact repo?